TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing To Win? Or Is It Just Gamesmanship? - Part 2

golfinnut

For those of you that followed my first post (rant) about a certain fellow in my golf league a few weeks ago ... here is round 2 from another player.  I give you 3 different scenarios.

(1) You are setting up to putt to win the hole, you have addressed the ball, there is no one in your vision really at all, until .... this guy deliberately walks around from behind me and stands in my "thru" line on the other side of the hole.  Right as I am about to putt the ball, he's still moving around the green ... deliberately to get in my line of sight.  I can understand it once but he did it 3 times.  I wasn't too concerned about the first two because I made the putts, but it started to get on my nerves the 3rd time, so I missed that one.

(2)  You are setting up a birdie putt to win the hole & only you and he are the last two on the green, he is inside you, so of course you are putting first.  You have read the putt, taking your stance, then he decides to bend down on start lining up his putt on the other side of the hole, right in you line of sight.  Mind you, he is on the other side of the hole, just to the right of the hole, way before you attempt the putt.  He is fidgeting around with his ball, trying to set it right behind the mark, you know, just stalling.

So why can't he just wait until it's his turn to putt like everyone else?  I mean c'mon, who gets down to mark their ball when it's not even their turn.  Grant it, if it's further away & maybe not in the line of sight to disturb the other player, so be it ... mark it all you want.  But out of common courtesy, don't disturb the other player as much as possible.  

(3)  You and one of the other players are putting for par, the "ass-hat" is putting for an 8, and he is furthest away on the same line as his partner & of course, what you say to him is "pick it up, it doesn't matter, that's good for an 8."  What's he say ... "no I want to putt it out for my handicap."  Now not only is he wasting time & causing even more slow play than already is, he is trying to give his partner the line.  But he is out of the hole and his putt means nothing & when someone from the other team tells you to pick up, you should do the right thing & pick up.

Now are all these gamesmanship or is he just being an "ass-hat" on purpose or does he just not know common golf etiquette?

What would you do?  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

He's being an ass, but he might not be self-aware enough to know it.

You should have politely asked him to move and stand still when you were putting.  If he took issue with that and continued his behavior, you bring it up to the person that is running the league.

For those of you that followed my first post (rant) about a certain fellow in my golf league a few weeks ago ... here is round 2 from another player. I give you 3 different scenarios.

(1) You are setting up to putt to win the hole, you have addressed the ball, there is no one in your vision really at all, until .... this guy deliberately walks around from behind me and stands in my "thru" line on the other side of the hole. Right as I am about to putt the ball, he's still moving around the green ... deliberately to get in my line of sight. I can understand it once but he did it 3 times. I wasn't too concerned about the first two because I made the putts, but it started to get on my nerves the 3rd time, so I missed that one.

(2) You are setting up a birdie putt to win the hole & only you and he are the last two on the green, he is inside you, so of course you are putting first. You have read the putt, taking your stance, then he decides to bend down on start lining up his putt on the other side of the hole, right in you line of sight. Mind you, he is on the other side of the hole, just to the right of the hole, way before you attempt the putt. He is fidgeting around with his ball, trying to set it right behind the mark, you know, just stalling.

So why can't he just wait until it's his turn to putt like everyone else? I mean c'mon, who gets down to mark their ball when it's not even their turn. Grant it, if it's further away & maybe not in the line of sight to disturb the other player, so be it ... mark it all you want. But out of common courtesy, don't disturb the other player as much as possible.

(3) You and one of the other players are putting for par, the "ass-hat" is putting for an 8, and he is furthest away on the same line as his partner & of course, what you say to him is "pick it up, it doesn't matter, that's good for an 8." What's he say ... "no I want to putt it out for my handicap." Now not only is he wasting time & causing even more slow play than already is, he is trying to give his partner the line. But he is out of the hole and his putt means nothing & when someone from the other team tells you to pick up, you should do the right thing & pick up.

Now are all these gamesmanship or is he just being an "ass-hat" on purpose or does he just not know common golf etiquette?

What would you do?

1&2 are definitely gamesmanship and I would call a halt to play and ask him out loud to hold still and stay out of your line of sight. Each and every time he does it.

Number 3 is actually loss of hole for his team. In that scenario I would tell him to pick it up and if he doesn't I would pick it up and hand it to him. If he putts anyway on his partner's line it's loss of hole. I actually say in that situation "man I can't let your partner see this one. Gonna need you to pick that up." I've never done it without a smile and never had anyone get mad about it but sounds like you have a special kind of jerk here

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

He's being an ass, but he might not be self-aware enough to know it.

You should have politely asked him to move and stand still when you were putting. If he took issue with that and continued his behavior, you bring it up to the person that is running the league.

That's the funny thing ... HE IS the guy running the league!

So he takes it very serious and looks for every advantage imaginable... except for his actual game. HA!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Personally 1 & 2 wouldn't bother me. But it is totally gamesmanship and he is trying to get in your head.

#3 as stated above I believe that is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

For what it's worth, it didn't have the effect he was looking for ... because he lost 3&2 anyway.  HA!  :P

Yeah, not a guy I would have fun playing with. I would have backed off my putt and just stared at him until he settled down and then I would have asked him if he was done. I'm like that. In the last scenario, you could have just picked up his marker and tossed it to him saying his putt was good, but that's kinda crossing a line too. Some guys just try to gain an advantage any way they can except for actually practicing. What are you gonna do.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I just politely tell people to move or step aside in situations like this. Usually takes care of it.

If you don't then why complain about it later. Nip it in the bud from the get go.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I do remember watching a tournament with Tiger some years ago where he used some "gamesmanship" and if I remember correctly one of the TV announcers thought it was great. Personally I enjoy the game too much to let someone do that. I also will call them out.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Nothing bothers me on the course.As long as it is sunny and I'm not in the woods looking for my Ball all day

I would say to the OP maybe join a new league.All your posts seem so unhappy towards this group.Life is so short, broaden your horizons.

Keep it in the short stuff

I'm only in it for the BEER!   :lol:

I'm only in it for the BEER! :lol:

Wait, so they give out free beer at your league?? Hear that Carolina Golfer 2, league recommendations for next season... 😂😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Wait, so they give out free beer at your league?? Hear that Carolina Golfer 2, league recommendations for next season...

MDGolfHacker

Yep ... pitchers to the entire group that wants to stay after the round.

😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Everyone is different. Personally, none of that would bother me. I don't care if people are talking or walking around or driving their cart before a putt or an approach shot. But I have played with a guy that if you had to sneeze or cough you better hold it until he hits.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Rule 14-2 Standing on Extension of Line of Play or Line of Putt

Q. My opponent or fellow-competitor always stands behind me while I am playing a stroke? Isn`t this a penalty?

A. Rule 14-2b only prohibits a player from allowing his partner or their caddies from standing in this position. While it may be a breach of Etiquette, there is no penalty under the Rules. A solution is to politely ask your opponent or fellow-competitor to move to one side or the other. (Rule 14-2b)

AND............. ass hat.

OMG, I'd love that league... Only I would ask them to start the beer before the round.. LOL.. 

I would Say something like " I don't make a distraction while your putting Please don't do it while I am" ..  

If your only there for the free beer, then play golf and enjoy the beer.. 

I do sympathize I have had that happen and called him on it.. He stopped quickly once he knew people would notice him being a "ass-hat"... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

OMG, I'd love that league... Only I would ask them to start the beer before the round.. LOL..

I would Say something like " I don't make a distraction while your putting Please don't do it while I am" ..

If your only there for the free beer, then play golf and enjoy the beer..

I do sympathize I have had that happen and called him on it.. He stopped quickly once he knew people would notice him being a "ass-hat"...

Well most of us bring coolers for the "before and during" round festivities

Archived