Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer

Dennis

Discuss the Mizuno Shaft optimizer! READ ARTICLE HERE

I tried it out the other day, recommended TT GS95, Nippon 950, and Rife 5.0

It was very interesting for me, my swing speed is too fast for a regular shaft, but I was hitting it too low for the S300. The lighter shaft was a great idea, increased distance and trajectory.

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

I tried it because I wanted to know what type of KBS Shaft flex I should try. It said I needed an X-Stiff that was softstepped once.

So I tried that out in my 6-iron and thought it was dead on match for me. I kind of wonder if somebody like Hogan, who had X-Stiff shafts that were tipped 2" would work on the Shaft Optimizer. He said just couldn't deal with shafts with more flex than that tree trunk he was hitting. I just can't imagine the Shaft Optimizer giving an extreme suggestion of a shaft flex like that.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I don't see why not. The only thing that could get a bit tricky about shafts from different clubs is the weight and perhaps the launch.

The Shaft Optimizer doesn't reflect weight. I think it reflects the launch to a degree, but I'm not sure how it would distinguish between Mizuno and say Ping irons.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Is it true that many retail stores may simply use the Shaft Optimzer to fit all of the irons they carry, Mizuno or otherwise?

I know the last time I was in Edwin Watts a buddy of mine was getting R9 TP irons and they used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer on him. It is definitely an interesting tool!

• SPY VIP

We should be getting some detailed info about the development of it from Mizuno soon.

I know the last time I was in Edwin Watts a buddy of mine was getting R9 TP irons and they used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer on him. It is definitely an interesting tool!

#TruthDigest

We should be getting some detailed info about the development of it from Mizuno soon.

I can't wait to see the info on the Shaft Optimizer. I know when I tried it I thought it was one of the best things I have seen or tried in a long time. Definitely, an advancement in club fitting assistance.

I had a set of KZG irons made for me and the guy used the Mizuno shaft optimizer for me. It suggested the Project X 5.5 and they have really helped my game. I lowered my handicap by 3 already.

Driver- G410 plus 9°

Fairway- Ping G410 LST 14.5°

Hybrid- 818 H2 19°

Irons- 4-PW 718 AP3

Wedges- Vokey SM7 48°  54°  58°

Putter- Taylormade Spider X

I have played X100 in my last 3 sets and this felt okay. This fall when I was hunting for a new set(as always) I tried the Mizzy shaft optimizer that suggested KBS tour X-stiff. I was concerned since I hit hte ball quite high so the initial feeling was this couldn't be correct. My perception of the KBS was that it was a high launching shaft. But I gave it a shot since there wasn't a up-charge for the KBS and I have 3 set with X100 in the garage.

I manage to play 5 rounds with the KBS before the Swedish winter. Short summary: WOW!!! The KBS launches a bit higher but since it doesn't baloon the overall flight is more penetrating with long irons and easier to control with the short irons.

I shot my best results for the season with the new irons and amazingly went +1 in total on the par 3s for all 5 rounds, only missing 3 greens in 5 rounds.

So in my experience; it works!

Mizuno

MP-630 FT Oban devotion 6 X || MP Craft 425 9.5° X-CON 6 X

F60 15° Grafalloy PL RED X || MP Ti 18 ° USt axiv core Black

MP FLI-HI 21° Steelfiber 110i X

MP62 Black Nickel 4-PW KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

MP T10 RAW Black Satin 52° 56° 60° KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

C-05 35''

as someone who works in a pro shop, this thing is one of the greatest tools we use when fitting someone for clubs. its the first thing that i use and its so simple to set up. people trust what the computer and shaft tell them and they can feel it as soon as you match the shaft with the head they want. we use it to fit people for other manufacturers besides Mizuno, but after they feel the buttery feel of the Mizuno head, they become more interested in their products.

Mizzy rep says that sales have soared since the release of the shaft optimizer...pretty amazing product.

My local shop should get theirs next week. A full report to follow. I have played PJX 6.5 for the last 5 years, and feel that it is the perfect shaft for me. Lets see what Mizzy thinks....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Is it true that many retail stores may simply use the Shaft Optimzer to fit all of the irons they carry, Mizuno or otherwise?

I used it in a Ping fitting session.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Yeah, I'm going to do this very soon. Maybe even by tomorrow. Although if it says I should us PX anything, I'm going to scream. It's not like I hate that shaft, but let's just say that shaft & I aren't on speaking terms. lol.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

Well, I did this yesterday and was very pleased with the experience. The numbers were quite accurate and found it to be very useful. My swingspeed with the iron was 93mph, with several other factors involved, as we know. It told me that I should be using one of the following: DGX100, PX 6.5 or KBS Tour X. I was impressed.

I know I've been swinging well, but whoa. My friend lent me his set of Scratch AR1's with KBS Tour 6.0's hardstepped once, and I hit them SO much better than my 09 Burner's with KBS Tours stiff (probably a 5.5) and now I see why. MUCH tighter dispersion for me with the stiffer shaft. Much better feel too, not loose at all.

Mizuno is having a fitting day at the end of this month, and I'm definitely going. My interest has peaked!

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

Archived