TESTERS WANTED! ×

What keeps people from getting custom fit?

Insane timing and I had absolutely no idea, but this guy actually went and got fit for irons today at CC. Was fit into Srixon 765 w PX LZ's, a great combo for him.

He's coming from Cleveland Ti5's.

That is s great combination.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is as stunning as the cheating thread.

Getting fit doesn't cost $1,000 and you aren't going from a 25 to a 10 over night or without a significant cash out lay for lessons and practice.

I once had a full bag fitting and make over for every club in my bag. It cost less than 400. Far cheaper than a new set of clubs. Every club in my bag was touched for that amount including 10 reshafts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I started playing golf last June I bought some old Callaway x14 pro series and hit the practice ground until I was hitting it well enough to venture out on the course.
Shooting in the mid-eighties straight away yet I had the odd round where I was swinging it like an epileptic chimp and ventured up near the nineties!!
Well, I thought these clubs might be holding me back 15 years old and not the right specs, next step is to get fit.
I went to a Srixon fitter and got fit for the Srixon Z765 irons as I do strike it from the middle.
At the fitting, the guy mentions I would need the irons setting upright 3 degrees as I was presenting the handle high at impact.
They had KBS stiff shafts and produced the best results on the indoor Sim GC2 with HMT.

Well, I bought the clubs and after about 4 weeks I had learnt not to present the handle high at impact bringing a massive draw shaped shot into my iron play.
The draw shaped shot was due to the clubs being 3 degrees upright.
I also didn't like the thick soles on the Z765 so I had to let the clubs go!! They just didn't suit my game.

So I was left needing a new iron set and after having forged clubs I only wanted another forged set.
I turned the Mizuno 900 iron family My local pro let me borrow the three different heads and a variety of shafts.
I spent a week working out what actually works best for me out in real conditions on course in high winds and such.
I settled on KBS C taper stiff half inch shorter with the JPX 900 tour heads.
These just work and produce a missile like ball flight I have 4 to PW
Basically, this time around I can say I fit my self.
My handicap has dropped 4 shots this season.

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

• 4 weeks later...

You're a rare specimen Divothead. Especially since you just took up the game in June. (or perhaps even June 2016) Not many have your talent of starting out hitting missile like shots centered on the clubface. Truly remarkable.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

For the guys that are cheap or a long ways to a fitter. I used a red felt pen - marked my range ball vertical. Hit ball & look at mark. Tells you where on the face you made impact. Also tells you if you lie angle is ok. Do not hit off a mat. Ever. Causes tennis elbow. Check your divot. How flat it is will also tell you if the lie is correct. If it digs more on the toe side - lie too flat. Iron shafts - for men - R - S - X. If you irons feel 'boardy' probably too stiff. I can play either R or S & they are about the same for me.

Watch your ball flight. Using sticks - adjust ball position a little forward or backward & check ball flight & divot. This will get you started. Borrow a club from someone else on the range & see what their club does with your swing. Most players will let you hit an iron or two. Then when demo day comes to your course - get your swing speed, release type figured out ... for free. Then you can buy on FleaBay with a little more knowledge ... until you can get fitted for real. About FleaBay - lots of counterfet stuff there. You have to know the difference before you buy. Especially graphite shafts.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Interesting thread to say the least, but mostly I find it interesting that pricing is what everyone comes back to. I think something that probably is ignored and over looked way to much is intimidation and lack of knowledge.

I have a buddy that is a decent athlete and likes playing but he just started out. He got his first set off the shelf just to see if he'd stick with it and he's a bigger than average guy 6'2 ~225lb. I told him the other week it's time for him to step up and get a new decent set of clubs and go get fitted. After dancing around it and putting it off his wife asked me for golf ideas for his bday and I quickly set he needs new clubs and get him that, she did and got him a GC to golf galaxy. After his bday I asked when he was going in and he kept putting it off. Ive known the guy a long time and tell he was stalling and it bothered him (normally he's really good about this stuff) so I asked him jokingly "what are you scared to go and show them your swing". I could tell right away that was exactly the issue. Being the good friend I was I told him I'd go with him. We went and he did great and got a new set up Callaways and is playing a lot better now.

Long story short, he was just intimidated about the experience because his swing isn't that great and didn't think getting fit would really help. But he's a lot happier now he did.

Some great discussion on this topic, much of it resonates with me. As someone who hooks the ball one week and slices it the next my fear going to a fitting is how am I swinging "that day" and how will that affect my fitting and my game moving forward. The other concern is that I hit the most expensive heads and esoteric shafts the best and in the end I can't afford the cost of the clubs because they make PXG look like a bargain. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I was anti-fitting for many years... played OTR clubs that were standard size.  I figured I'm pretty average compared to John Q. Public - 5'10"/180(ish) - regular length arms/legs/etc.  AM I NOT THE TARGET MARKET OR WHAT !?!?!?

Got fit early this year (February, in a snowstorm, but you gotta do what you gotta do)...

So far it's been - meh - the drive was around an hour to an hour 10 minutes; the cost was around 100 bucks.

There wasn't pressure to buy - per se - but it was kind of implied I think.  I suppose 90+ percent of ppl they fit must buy something...

The cost of the clubs was about average; I thought the hybrid was more expensive than it should have been but the irons were about the same.  Got a set of irons/hybrid for around 925 or so...

What I've noticed - the misses are smaller; what I mean is that a hooked ball that would go 30 yards into the woods now might land in the rough.  That at least gives me a chance; before I didn't even have a chance.

That's about it - 

getting fit isn't a magic potion; you still need proper mechanics, or at least something close to them, to score low/well.  

at least with fit clubs you'll know it's you and not the clubs.

Next year I'm getting lessons.  Who knows, maybe when I get lessons the instructor will tell me all my clubs are wrong and I wasted hundreds of dollars getting fit.... :lol:  .... that wouldn't be funny.... I'd actually be pretty pissed.   :angry:

Don't forget that if your swing does change you can have your clubs (somewhat) adjusted - at least the irons - to match your new swing... 

==============

Now that I think about it I do wonder if I should've done it the other way - get some lessons and maybe the instructor would guide me into what kind of fitting I need - or if I even need one.

I suppose that's all based on the instructor.

I was worried I'd show up for a lesson and one of the first questions would be "did you get fit for your clubs" and the answer would be "no" and he'd be like .... 'hmmmm.... not sure what I can do here...'

but, whatevs, hindsight is 20-20..

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Archived