TESTERS WANTED! ×

What keeps people from getting custom fit?

Cheap options on eBay or other sites of course!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to get fit at Miles of Golf! I like that you are hitting out to a range so you can see the actual ball flight. It's about 3 hours from my hometown in Michigan. I wonder if I should schedule a fitting next time we head up that way to visit the family.

It really is worth it. They were the first to use computers and cameras to measure the TRUE angle of my club at impact with a 6-iron so that I had the ACTUAL number I needed to determine my degree upright/flat. So many just use lie boards, but that has been shown to be inaccurate. My fitter at MOG showed me on-screen that at impact I was at 60*/61* lie angle, this is standard loft and NOT the 2* up that all previous fitters had guessed at since I'm so tall. Lie boards showed this too, so I always thought I was a 2*up plus an inch... Turns out, I'm "standard" lie with most sets, +1"... Crazy! Yeah, MOG is WELL worth it, and they didn't pressure me to buy from them.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Holy crap those are some ridiculous prices! I would hope the driver or wood fitting includes whatever driver/shaft combo you want. Those are PXG prices.

Funny that the driver would be that much considering it's one of the clubs you should use the least.

So the fitting is "free". The cost is the cost of the club. Head and shaft. (Ex Titleist/TM/Callaway head: $500, shaft $200-300 range)

Basically what a club would retail for off the shelf and then whatever shaft they deem fit for you.

Shafts:

My driver is a Diamana White Board.

3wd is a Diamana BlueBoard.

Hybrid is a Project X.

Irons are TT Rifle Flighted.

I think I am going to try a new fitting place though after these guys. I came into it not really knowing much. And now more skeptical which is why I wonder about Mizzy's Shaft Optimizer...

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

It really is worth it. They were the first to use computers and cameras to measure the TRUE angle of my club at impact with a 6-iron so that I had the ACTUAL number I needed to determine my degree upright/flat. So many just use lie boards, but that has been shown to be inaccurate. My fitter at MOG showed me on-screen that at impact I was at 60*/61* lie angle, this is standard loft and NOT the 2* up that all previous fitters had guessed at since I'm so tall. Lie boards showed this too, so I always thought I was a 2*up plus an inch... Turns out, I'm "standard" lie with most sets, +1"... Crazy! Yeah, MOG is WELL worth it, and they didn't pressure me to buy from them.

In your opinion, do you think you would have been as satisfied if you weren't hitting into an open range?

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Mine was always due to the lack of options in the general vicinity. Everything within an hour drive is a big box store. The one range that does fittings charges a lot, and I went there once for an iron fitting and didn't like the experience for the price I paid

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I did a driver fitting like 2 years ago because I just wasn't happy with the current stick I was playing. Finally found a place near me that did range fitings, although it was off a mat, so I could see the flight rather than rely on simulation. I was gonna order the driver but had some issues come up which didn't allow me to spend my money on that anymore. I wasn't totally on board with all the suggestions for the fitter, my swing was all over the place during that time. 6 months later my wife got me a couple lessons for Father's day, best money ever spent on my game. Playing some great golf now, Indian not arrow. Would have been in the same spot soon with that new driver without the lessons. I do see the benefit of getting fitted and I really hope that the next big purchase I can go through a fitting. At least now I feel confident in my swing and it is more repeatable to give me more reliable numbers to go off of

Sent from my SM-T700 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think for most people it's a money thing. I was certified to fit by a PGA pro and I do it for people the best I can without the monitor which basically leaves me to just loft lie and length. I also worked at a ping top 100 fitter and golf digest top 100 facility and we charged 100$ for a single fitting with 25$ off the club or set and we had a full bag fit for 275 with 100 dollars off your purchase. It can get pricey but it's worth the investment

In your opinion, do you think you would have been as satisfied if you weren't hitting into an open range?

I don't think it would be as good of a fitting.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I try to do my best getting as much for free as possible when it comes to golf information. Often times you can cross reference a quick length/lie fitting on a launch monitor with the general concepts online to get a solid fit. It may take trial and error but if you invest the research time, you can save yourself the sales pitch a fitter will hit you with.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I don't think it would be as good of a fitting.

This is what I feel as well.

I believe the people who think that the sales guys are just out to get them would have a change of heart if they went to an open range fitting where the fitter still has some type of launch monitor. ESPECIALLY, if you don't know your current swing speed.

Like I said, I had no previous knowledge of how fast my swing was. I was averaging 105, and my driver at the time was a regular flex. I had what felt like an impossible time controlling where my ball was going off the tee. If I played the inevitable fade that was going to result, I was giving up at least 30 yards. The 9 holes I played on Thursday just proved what I had already been thinking to myself - I drove a green that was 320 out. 320, no wind, but the tee was elevated above the green. For me, that is a distance that I'd just never seen before. Here's a flyover of the hole, I thought I carried into the bunker, but my ball was on the back fringe of the green:

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Until I started to travel with work a few years ago, living in rural Louisiana, I never had access to a fitter that had all of the heads and shafts. It wasn't until after a trip I won to Callaway in California did I ever find that place that I hit out of a bay on to a range, and they had every component, plus the technology, to give me my first fitting. My fitting at Miles of Golf back in my hometown in Michigan pretty much showed me that everything Callaway gave me was off. The technology was the difference...

I had gone to demo days and gone through their "fittings", but as I read in an article by a Mizuno tech rep recently, they don't usually have stuff at demo days for folks that are tall like me, have large hands, and swing the driver at a good pace.

The Callaway "fitting" experience taught me that not ALL "fittings" are the same, or even accurate.

Anyway, I was just never near a place that really had all of the bells and whistles to do what I call a REAL fitting.

So the Callaway fitting experience proved to be no good?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

SPARGO Cranston R.I. one of the best in northeast

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I got fit at Spargo this year... it was February, had just snowed.  We were inside in a bay that I thought would be heated....nope.

I must say.... I wasn't that impressed.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

So much of the fitting experience comes down the person who is doing the fitting.

That general rule applies to lessons as well. Most instructors can only coach you to their level. It takes a special one to take you further.

I believe most people think their swing is not that consistent and a fitting would be wasted. I had to convince my wife, who has only been playing golf for a year on a cheap used set that was time for a properly fitted bag. She though that I was crazy and didn't want to spend the money.

At the fitters she was surprised when they move her out of the ladies clubs and into a men's set. Standard length 1 degree upright. She is 6'2" so to me it was a no brainier that she needed a fitting if she was going to continue to play. So while her swing is still not the most consistent she has a proper start and can play/practice with out worrying that her equipment will create bad habits.

This made me think of another reason but it may of just been her. She was embarrassed/shy about doing something wrong during the fitting. She kept asking me to coach her on what to say and ask. I just told her to listen to the fitters and answer what they ask. They've worked with all types of swings and people.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Cost. Most people don't have thousands of dollars lying around to pay for a fitting and all the head/shaft combos. I know for me, getting custom fit would improve my game but not drastically. Especially since my game is constantly evolving. What I was fit for 6 months ago may no longer be best for my swing. IMO you shouldn't get fit until you are consistently shooting at least in the low 80s. Before that you're just not consistent enough

Most people don't think they need fit because they don't think they are good enough. A guy just starting or been playing a couple years thinks he will wait until he gets better to get fit. That's like saying I'll wait until I can run a 10k before getting running shoes that are the right size and structure

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Most people don't think they need fit because they don't think they are good enough. A guy just starting or been playing a couple years thinks he will wait until he gets better to get fit. That's like saying I'll wait until I can run a 10k before getting running shoes that are the right size and structure

I completely disagree. First of all the cost of a set of clubs is VASTLY more expensive. In no way are these scenarios similar. Also, Unlike running your swing will significantly change the more you play whereas changes in your running form don't significantly alter the shoe you need. Even if they did, I can easily afford another set of shoes. I cannot afford to be refit again after my swing has changed and the irons I was custom fit for as 25 HCP no longer work for me as a 10 HCP.

I completely disagree. First of all the cost of a set of clubs is VASTLY more expensive. In no way are these scenarios similar. Also, Unlike running your swing will significantly change the more you play whereas changes in your running form don't significantly alter the shoe you need. Even if they did, I can easily afford another set of shoes. I cannot afford to be refit again after my swing has changed and the irons I was custom fit for as 25 HCP no longer work for me as a 10 HCP.

That's a good point. I went through that same mindset. I played a box set with no adjustments for 2 years before I got a set that was lengthened to what I need. Then I played that set for another 2 before I got the lie adjusted to where it needs to be.

Did it make a difference? Enormous. For me I just wanted to have a decent idea of what I was doing so any adjustment I made could be permanent since they're so expensive.

Cost. Most people don't have thousands of dollars lying around to pay for a fitting and all the head/shaft combos. I know for me, getting custom fit would improve my game but not drastically. Especially since my game is constantly evolving. What I was fit for 6 months ago may no longer be best for my swing. IMO you shouldn't get fit until you are consistently shooting at least in the low 80s. Before that you're just not consistent enough

This is a misconception. It does not cost thousands to get custom fit. Also you don't need to get custom fit every time you buy a set of irons. Lastly your body shape controls the fit more than changes in your swing. I have gone through several swing changes but I consistently remain Ping green dot +1/2 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember why I never got fit and it's the same reason my buddy has never been fit, even though he's had the same gift card to Club Champion for years.

Basically, it's because you want your swing to be 'in form' when you go and since that's a moving target for most of us, it rarely happens and you never feel your swing is consistent enough for a fitting.

After going through a few fittings now, I actually like my swing a little off going in, as you get to see how you hit the clubs when you're not playing your best, which is way more important IMO.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

In my opinion the things that would significantly change as a player got better probably Wouldn't change things that are expensive in a fitting. Unless your swing was really bad you should remain in the same shaft profile. The biggest change would be in the lie angle based on better approach coming into the ball.

You don't like the shoe example how about baseball bats. Swinging a bat the is too heavy or too long will actually prevent you from getting better and cause faults in the swing.

I don't think anyone is advocating getting exotic shafts that are a $1000 upgrade. If you are taking lessons talk to your pro. If you are buying irons at least go through the fitting the store offers. Look at your numbers on a launch monitor and see if you are getting desired performance. Most manufacturers offer multiple non upgrade shaft options. I know it is hard to. It want to walk out of the store with your new clubs today, but take the time to do some basic tests to see what works for you.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I just realized that I never really answered the question. 

While many don't do it for the extra cost or availability, I think most people don't get fit because of ego, the same reason they play the wrong set of tees. They feel they are big, strong and/or/(were) athletic and can get away with it, or just want to have the best looking/coolest/most expensive/rare set of clubs. 

As jlukes stated, it's a helluva lot more expensive to change clubs every few years, or even go through 2-3 of a wood/wedge/hybrid to find the right one. 

I read about someone's fitting that they just couldn't get the right consistent  flight on their 3 wood, so after watching a few more balls, the fitter swapped the shaft for the 5 or 7 wood length, and BAM, perfect flight. The fitting will cost you, but not as much as multiple rounds of sub-par ( still don't understand that adjective, under par is actually awesome) golf and a new club you play before you switch to something else. 

yeah, I was the one who had the 5w with 7w shaft fitting.   

I think there are a number of factors that play into it for different people. Sure for some ego does play a part of it, as well as lack of a true understanding of how much it can help you, along with cost for others and lack of quality fitting options for some. 

I'm pretty confident I have found a good fitter that is convenient for me, I have now been to him twice, the 5w above and for the mizuno irons this week.  I can't see any reason not to go to him in the future prior to any major purchases. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

yeah, I was the one who had the 5w with 7w shaft fitting.

I think there are a number of factors that play into it for different people. Sure for some ego does play a part of it, as well as lack of a true understanding of how much it can help you, along with cost for others and lack of quality fitting options for some.

I'm pretty confident I have found a good fitter that is convenient for me, I have now been to him twice, the 5w above and for the mizuno irons this week. I can't see any reason not to go to him in the future prior to any major purchases.

Where do you go? All I have is Dick's and Annapolis is just as close as DC to me.

I hate getting fit inside. I just can't swing freely for some reason. Also, mats drive me nuts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm in that camp, never been able to swing freely indoors. I went through a fitting 3-4 years ago but my game has changed since then so I really need to go through another one.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

For me, it's just the price. The $200 fitting fee isn't bad, but then you actually have to buy the clubs! $500 for the driver, $500 for fairway metals, $1000 for irons, $450 for wedges, $400 for a putter... a full bag fitting gets pricey!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Where do you go? All I have is Dick's and Annapolis is just as close as DC to me.

Arundel Golf Park near BWI is the one that was the better of the two.   Dukes in Annapolis has a great reputation, I think it was just one of those off days on both sides. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I remember why I never got fit and it's the same reason my buddy has never been fit, even though he's had the same gift card to Club Champion for years.

Insane timing and I had absolutely no idea, but this guy actually went and got fit for irons today at CC. Was fit into Srixon 765 w PX LZ's, a great combo for him.

He's coming from Cleveland Ti5's.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Insane timing and I had absolutely no idea, but this guy actually went and got fit for irons today at CC. Was fit into Srixon 765 w PX LZ's, a great combo for him.

He's coming from Cleveland Ti5's.

That sounds like an incredible combination

Archived