Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Putting alignment mirror

I picked up a putting alignment mirror from AMZ last week with the intention of it helping my son.  I've been using it every time I go out to the range to practice, and I was amazed out how it helped me get into proper alignment and a comfortable position.  My biggest issue was not L/R alignment, but not having my eyes properly aligned with the putting line.  Once I used the mirror to get aligned I felt like my stroke was much more stable (and straight) going back and through.  The brand I got was made by "Eyeline", but there are several out there that look similar in features/function.  It's a tool that is portable, quick to setup, and works to boost confidence.  

Driver:  :titelist-small: - 915 D2 (9.5) - Diamana S+ Blue 60

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: - Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour (13) - Stiff 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: - RBZ Stage 2 Rescue (19) - Stiff

Hybrid:  :titelist-small: - 816 H1 (23) - Reg

Irons:  :titelist-small: - 714 AP2 - 5-AW - XP95 Stiff

Wedges:  :titelist-small: - Vokey SM5 - 54/58

Putter:  :titelist-small: - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 - 35in

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up one from Amazon and have been impressed with my putting success. Great putting aid.

PXG Gen 4 0811X 7.5 degree Evenflow CB 50g

PXG Gen 4 0841X 3 Wood Evenflow CB 60g

PXG Gen 4 0817XF Hybrid 22 degree Evenflow 80g

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 52

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 56

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Maxfli Tour Gloss White Golf Balls

Maxfli Tour X Gloss White Golf Balls

Mirrors work well if you have a straight-back straight-through stroke.  It's important to have your lead eye over the ball.  Not very beneficial if you have a strong arc putting stroke and eyes inside the line.  However, you need to check the lie of your putter to see if it fits the SBST stroke.  It may need to be more upright for best results.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have learned that eyes over the ball isn't the correct setup for everyone.   There are possible setup positions that that works for but I am significantly off the ball when I am putting best.   What can be accomplished with a mirror is consistent setup which is a must for consistent putting.   You need consistent eye position, consistent shoulder position, consistent ball position, etc.   There is not a single setup that works for everyone and you need to find what enables you to start the ball on your intended line.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have learned that eyes over the ball isn't the correct setup for everyone.   There are possible setup positions that that works for but I am significantly off the ball when I am putting best.   What can be accomplished with a mirror is consistent setup which is a must for consistent putting.   You need consistent eye position, consistent shoulder position, consistent ball position, etc.   There is not a single setup that works for everyone and you need to find what enables you to start the ball on your intended line.  

So true!  I never knew what I was doing when I first started playing so I was very inconsistent.  Since the golf swing is played away from the ball, it's common for some people to putt like that.  It felt fine to me, but when I went to eyes over the ball, I became a better putter.  I felt like I could see the line better.  But then I found out that my putter lie was too flat.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived