Ty Pettit

Hidden Gems

Our Sponsors

So to start i am from NE Indiana, so much of my playing experience is local...To start in my own little city

The Players Club-Muncie, Indiana

The course is really plush, very nice and has challenging holes the only downside is its in a residential area, so there are several house that have houses lining. Also a big factor of mine for a hidden gem are green fees...which i have never seen above 50 even on peak times

Heartland Crossing -Camby, IN (south of Indianapolis

Its a links style course in Indiana, and its super cheap....got taken there when I was just beginning with my three scratch buddies...We play the back tees.  I shot a 101 and even though i consistent break 90 now that was the best round I have ever played

Coyote Crossing-Lafayette, IN 

This was a great experience, course has everything you could ever want and plays even better...The one con is the carts have gps that can stop them if you get too close to a "wet or danger area"  It just gets laughable at some points when it slams to a stop when you leave the cart path.

Obviously if your in Indiana there is the top courses that everyone talks about.  Kampen at Purdue is crazy nice but kind of pricey. Purgatory and the Fort that are public as well as every course I have mentioned

• Like 3

Old Stonewall in Ellwood City PA

Public.

Great design, well kept. Back 9 goes up to the top of the mountain almost but you never play a hole that is straight up hill. From #16 you can see downtown Pittsburgh.

Rounds between $100-$125

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Old Stonewall in Ellwood City PA

Public.

Great design, well kept. Back 9 goes up to the top of the mountain almost but you never play a hole that is straight up hill. From #16 you can see downtown Pittsburgh.

Rounds between $100-$125

Played a couple rounds there a about 2.5 years ago. Fantastic course and some of those elevation changes were crazy.

• Like 1

Played a couple rounds there a about 2.5 years ago. Fantastic course and some of those elevation changes were crazy.

What's amazing to me is the back 9, you know how high you go up. Like to the top of the mountain. But the routing is amazing and you never really feel like you play a hole that's truly uphill.

• Like 1

Resurrecting a thread from a few months ago.  I was filtering through the Golf Course Review and Travel section for some insight.  We are taking a long weekend, quick trip to Kure Beach in North Carolina over Easter.  

In respect to the thread theme of hidden gems, my daughter and I played the Plantation Course at Edisto Island last spring.  It was definitely a pleasant surprise.  It was my first experience on paspalum.  If anyone is looking for a remote beach location getaway with quality golf, I couldn't recommend it more.  It's definitely remote, not easy to get to with nothing much to offer other that piece, quiet and tranquility.

Edisto.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone with any reason to be in central PA needs to make an effort to play Bedford Springs. Omni took over the resort in 2007 and immediately began pumping in money. When all was said and done, $120 million had been spent to restore the resort to its former glory, and in doing so Omni advanced the golf course past anything else in the area. The result is one of the most interesting routings you will every play, complete with what feels like a private valley, 5 par 5s and 5 par 3s, and immaculate conditions. Oh, and chances are you'll be one of maybe twenty folks to play it that given day. "If so few play", I hear you asking "what kind of shape could it be in??" Omni doesn't give a flying rat fart what sort of return they see on the annual upkeep. It is in phenomenal shape as long as weather permits.

I'll be out that way in late June. That may be my coming home stop. Looks real nice what are we talking for a round

In Ohio, I highly recommend Thunderbird Hills in Huron, OH.  The North course is considered the "easier" of the two courses, but it is no joke.  The South course is very challenging and not a course that your going to play if you need to set a personal record.

The green complexes on both courses are great in the fact that they make you think about them from the tee instead of only on approach shots.

• Like 1

In Ohio, I highly recommend Thunderbird Hills in Huron, OH. The North course is considered the "easier" of the two courses, but it is no joke. The South course is very challenging and not a course that your going to play if you need to set a personal record.

The green complexes on both courses are great in the fact that they make you think about them from the tee instead of only on approach shots.

I'll second the Thunderbird Hills recommendation. It's about 30 min east of us and our group plays there several times during the summer. For a public course it's very well maintained and has some interesting holes. My personal preference is the south course but both are challenging.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

A vote for Enger Park golf course in Duluth, Minnesota.  Built in the 20's.  Not overly long, but plays longer.  Lake Superior  not only provides a nice backdrop, but contributes to humidity such that the ball doesn't go as far.  And if you look carefully, you'll find a spot in the middle of the parking lot about 3 feet square that's the only flat spot on the property.  Duluth is built right on the big lake, and is essentially a big hill, with Enger Park near the top of the hill, so wind can be tricky.  No houses anywhere on the course, which is mostly carved out of the forest.  

Only drawback is the course conditions can be dependent on the weather, which in Duluth has more variety than most places.  When it's really dry, things can suffer.  When it's really wet, things can suffer even more.  But when it's right, the course is fantastic, bent greens are very soft and quick, and with all the slopes they will definitely get your attention.

Ravisloe in Homewood, IL outside of Chicago is Donald Ross gem in the south suburbs. Went public after years being private and has a great classic feel.

The Bog in Saukville, WI 

Reasonably price Arnold Palmer Course out side of Milwaukee. A ton of fun to play. I can't wait until I am in that area again  

Scotch Hall Preserve in Merry Hill, NC

Built right before the housing bubble burst, so it's kinda eerie driving up and just seeing what clearly was meant to be an exclusive community, but it's just grass. The course is a *lot* of fun. Half dozen tee boxes so everyone can play, clever layout, and love the food truck at the turn. The clubhouse is... underwhelming... But I was there for golf, not to just hang out. IMG_20180817_183101_238.jpegIMG_20180817_183101_236.jpeg

About 30 miles east of Pittsburgh was a great course I came across called Totteridge Golf club.  Originally meant to be a country club, it's a Rees Jones designed Highland course that was in phenomenal shape when we played it.  

image.png.ccc1c99f95e4f4d0c28d94a3cd0475c5.png