TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing through Adversity

ole gray

Do you love the game enough to play through personal health issues? Sometimes it's tough but you have to keep at it . How do you handle those physical issues? For me I have no choice but to accept mediocrity however at least I can keep playing . My problem is my right knee.

IMG_2158.JPG

It hurts every day but I have no choice but to play through the pain. Life is short so suck it up and give it your best

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Sorry 'bout that knee. I've been relatively healthy but did lose nearly an entire golf season due to my back going out something fierce in '02. It had been a nuisance ever since with sporadic pain that became constant over the last year. Then I discovered, quite accidentally, that my issues stem from the piriformis muscle. Nearly at 100% since, who knew? Not the damn doc! 😉

Played through my achilles rupture rehab against doctor's orders in '99. That helped to ingrain a wicked slice!

But even with my back issues (prior to the last year), when it was a good day I was just fine. So I don't at all view it as if I had to play through pain because there were fairly often pockets of virtually zero discomfort.

I've always equally felt bad for and respected those visibly hobbling or hurting yet committed to play regardless.

Dang Ole Gray sorry to hear that.

That right knee looks much larger then the left for sure.

I am 55 and have been lucky not to have any injuries to play through.

Good luck to you.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I played through swollen painful ankles for years. In fact played in high topped Converse tennis shoes for years. I thought it was due to the pin in my right ankle. My ankles used to swell up like your knee even when riding. Found out the problem was not due to my ankles. It had to do with fluid buildup. When I got put on BP meds one of them being a fluid pill it took care of that. Now I wear regular golf shoes and walk some when the weather is not too hot and humid like it is now. The meds and drinking plenty of water solved that problem for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Mine is Tourette's syndrome. I might occasionally clear my throat or say a word twice but never had the language issues associated with it but I do have a lot of the motor ticks and twitches. It used to get to where my body would lock at address and I couldn't swing the club but cutting out some dietary stuff, cutting down electronic time and a lot of prayer have helped me a lot in minimizing the effect it has. Like Gray said you just gotta do what you can and make the best of it.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I usually am so sore after a round I can barely walk. Back issues. In fact I'm laying on my couch right now regretting my hack job of a round yesterday. About to try some stretches.

I also have tinitus so bad I get vertigo a lot, when that crap flares up I might as well throw in the towel. Think of someone smashing symbols together right next to your head on a boat...

It doesn't always show up, but when it does... bad news.

And yes ole gray! We share a common idea, play through it.

I've been lucky enough to not have any ongoing medical issues, but I've played through plenty of injury's both in golf and hockey.  When the choice is to play through some pain or not play it all, it's pretty obvious which one I'm gonna do.

2 things that have helped me is to embrace the pain.  Don't get surprised when it hurts, expect it and be ready for it.  Then adjust your expectations.  No sense getting frustrated when you can't play your best because your body is not at it's best.  Lower your expectations and just try to have fun and enjoy that you can still get out there and play.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm willing to miss one week if I think playing hurt may cost me extra time off. I don't want to harm my long term ability to play for the sake of one round.

If it's an important game, or one I'm looking forward to for other reasons, I might push it a bit more than normal to get out there.

Last year I missed qualifying fo my club championship matchplay section (top 8 after 2 stroke rounds) by one shot after playing the qualifiers with an awful cold. In the 1st round I needed medication to move, and it wore off after 9 holes and I proceeded to 4 and 5 putt on 10 and 11. I normally wouldn't have played when I was that I'll, but club champs only come around once a year.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Do you love the game enough to play through personal health issues? Sometimes it's tough but you have to keep at it . How do you handle those physical issues? For me I have no choice but to accept mediocrity however at least I can keep playing . My problem is my right knee.

attachicon.gifIMG_2158.JPG

It hurts every day but I have no choice but to play through the pain. Life is short so suck it up and give it your best

Don't go too hard on that knee without consulting your surgeon. Knee replacement revisions are awful, and would probably prevent you from playing for a long time if that is needed, and may stop you playing completely. How long has your TKR been in?

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

WOW! I forgot sometimes I'm not the only person with "problems".

Living in Florida in a senior community life comes at u fast. We were talking after golf last week about in 5 years how many guys r no longer playing. The Wednesday group was 40 guys 5 years ago only 8 of original left. This is death and health problems.

I have the usual knees, hip, shoulder, disc and a new one cropped up stemming from a bacterial infection that went bad. I either play thru it, play 9 and bail or take a few days off which I just did for my knees.

I feel for u guys but just keep going, life's too short.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I know it's really trivial, but I have terrible allergies. I've tried everything and can't find anything that will mitigate the symptoms. Every spring, I have this awful thing, almost like a really bad cold. When I'm golfing, my eyes water up and itch so much, they get swollen shut and I can barely see the ball. Nose is running like one of those fountains you sometimes see on the course in the middle of ponds. I go through about two boxes of Kleenex per round (almost). It's crazy!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Don't go too hard on that knee without consulting your surgeon. Knee replacement revisions are awful, and would probably prevent you from playing for a long time if that is needed, and may stop you playing completely. How long has your TKR been in?

Ok so my history with that knee (right one) started eleven years ago.  I had xrays and MRI that showed bone on bone on the left side of my right knee. My doctor back then in Macon, Ga.  told me I only needed a unilateral or partial knee replacement.  I wish now that I had gone ahead with a total. Anyways I felt like something was not right after I was cleared for normal activities.  A few years later I was having lot's of pain and the doc said sounds like a torn meniscus on the right side of my knee. I had several shots of some sort of lubricant that was supposed to alleviate the pain. That particular treatment did little if anything to help my pain. So I had a scope to fix the meniscus issue. Fast forward to 2012 and my knee was hurting so bad I had another surgery.  This time the surgery (TKL) was done in Athens, Ga. My doc said my ACL was partially torn and it was amazing that I was still walking.  I had already had plenty of swelling and scar tissue from the first surgery.  It never looked quite right as I had several friends who had knee surgeries and their knees looked normal size with only the scar showing a knee replacement was done.  Ok so after all the PT one must go through my knee never felt right.  When I went back for post op visits my doc said that knee is not looking good.  I was thinking no shat!  I went back a few months after the surgery as I was still in pain and he looks at the knee like WTF is going on with that.   He said something about the soft tissue surrounding the joint could be an issue.  I'm scared after three surgeries to let anyone else touch my knee however it would be fun not to hurt anymore.  

Playing golf is a struggle as my balance is pathetic however I get it done with some decent rounds now and then.  

Cleveland

Not nice Ole Gray. Uni replacements can be great, and give a better follow up option, but like any joint replacement, if things don't go well, they tend to go the opposite direction quickly.

Some guys I work with a doing a pioneering study on using interventional radiology techniques to reduce pain and inflammation in degenerative knees. If it works (hopes are high) they may be able to push knee replacements back several years, or even remove the need for them in some cases. Hopefully my knees hold out long enough for these techniques to be fully developed.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

Not nice Ole Gray. Uni replacements can be great, and give a better follow up option, but like any joint replacement, if things don't go well, they tend to go the opposite direction quickly.

Some guys I work with a doing a pioneering study on using interventional radiology techniques to reduce pain and inflammation in degenerative knees. If it works (hopes are high) they may be able to push knee replacements back several years, or even remove the need for them in some cases. Hopefully my knees hold out long enough for these techniques to be fully developed.

I hope for your sake and others this new radiology technique is available soon.  When knee surgery works, it's a total blessing, when things go wrong it's a living hell.  A revision could be the answer however after three surgeries, I would have to be cripple to go that route again. 

Cleveland

I'm holding out. I need one knee soon the other a ways off. I've seen great success and some horrible results.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I know it's really trivial, but I have terrible allergies. I've tried everything and can't find anything that will mitigate the symptoms. Every spring, I have this awful thing, almost like a really bad cold. When I'm golfing, my eyes water up and itch so much, they get swollen shut and I can barely see the ball. Nose is running like one of those fountains you sometimes see on the course in the middle of ponds. I go through about two boxes of Kleenex per round (almost). It's crazy!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's really not as trivial as u may think. It's also part of my laundry list of problems. For some it's quite debilitating.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I don't have any physical pain that keeps me from playing, but about five years ago I was diagnosed with a tumor at the base of my brain. Unfortunately, still dealing with it today. It takes up a lot of my time and money, but thankfully, I don't see much of a physically impact most of the time. I always say, in regards to brain tumors, I hit the lottery. Sounds more dramatic than it is, but it still isn't a walk in the park.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

I've torn cartilage in both wrists playing the game I love.  If it wasn't for my health insurance covering cortizone shots I probably would have had to quit.  Luckily I recovered but I still need to be pretty careful - medical tape on the wrists for a little extra support, try to avoid hitting off mats when I can, hand/grip exercises, etc.  The game is so much fun and so rewarding that as long as financial ruin isn't a threat, keep battling!

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

So I will share the one reason that always keeps me going through adversity. "Because I can" This was my late uncles favorite phrase while he was going through his battle with cancer. He'd do things he knew he shouldn't, like run upstairs and he'd get to the top and be all out of breath, doubled over, or he'd garden and be sore for days. We'd always ask him why he'd do things to make himself suffer, his answer was always "Because I can". He said he knew his time was short on this earth and he's seen too many people in the hospitals who couldn't do things.  This phrase has resonated with me. I have never been a runner and when I lost the ability to play hockey, I started running half marathons, never thought I could but when it got hard on me, I would say that to myself. I've now run 6 half marathons.  

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

So I will share the one reason that always keeps me going through adversity. "Because I can" This was my late uncles favorite phrase while he was going through his battle with cancer. He'd do things he knew he shouldn't, like run upstairs and he'd get to the top and be all out of breath, doubled over, or he'd garden and be sore for days. We'd always ask him why he'd do things to make himself suffer, his answer was always "Because I can". He said he knew his time was short on this earth and he's seen too many people in the hospitals who couldn't do things. This phrase has resonated with me. I have never been a runner and when I lost the ability to play hockey, I started running half marathons, never thought I could but when it got hard on me, I would say that to myself. I've now run 6 half marathons.

I would definitely have liked your uncle!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Low back pain, 6 knee surgeries, and issues with my right shoulder, I hurt after I play every time, but I love the game too much not to play every chance I get.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I would definitely have liked your uncle!

He was a great man!

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I'd say my time on the ice as both a hockey player and referee has taught me to put my my nose to the grindstone, but more so refereeing. There are nights when the whole building turns against you, but you can't just give up and the job has to be finished and all all you can do is be thankful that it's over when you're sitting in the room after the game. I've found that similar situations can happen on the course. Sometimes, I'm just happy to have gotten in another round, especially if I'm playing with my dad or someone else close to me. If you love something enough, you will gladly sacrifice comfort for it, which you obviously do and have! I put my career on hold and lost a girlfriend of 4 years to chase a dream. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't think twice. I've fallen in love with golf. maybe not quite as much as hockey, but I think it's made me a more patient, mentally tough individual! Hope your knee feels better. Injuries are so frustrating.

Driver: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 9.5º

3W: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 14.5º

Hybrid: Callaway XR Steelhead 19º

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT, Standard lofts and lie

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50º, 54º, 58º, Tour Raw finish

Putter: Scotty Cameron Cameron & Crown Newport Mallet 1

Ball: Bridgestone B330 RXS or Titleist ProV1 or Vice Pro

I'd say my time on the ice as both a hockey player and referee has taught me to put my my nose to the grindstone, but more so refereeing. There are nights when the whole building turns against you, but you can't just give up and the job has to be finished and all all you can do is be thankful that it's over when you're sitting in the room after the game. I've found that similar situations can happen on the course. Sometimes, I'm just happy to have gotten in another round, especially if I'm playing with my dad or someone else close to me. If you love something enough, you will gladly sacrifice comfort for it, which you obviously do and have! I put my career on hold and lost a girlfriend of 4 years to chase a dream. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't think twice. I've fallen in love with golf. maybe not quite as much as hockey, but I think it's made me a more patient, mentally tough individual! Hope your knee feels better. Injuries are so frustrating.

I bet we could share some funny "war stories" from wearing the stripes! Parents are insane...and now a days so are the kids

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 7 months later...

As long as its not a back, wrist, or hand problem, I will generally forge on. On an occassion I need to let things heal a few days.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Archived