TESTERS WANTED! ×

{YOUR INPUT} - PGA Tour Coverage on MGS

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Up to this point we have never really covered the PGA Tour.  Unless there was an interesting equipment story, we left it alone.  Just has never been mine or Tony's cup of tea really.

That being said we are thinking of starting to do some coverage and wanted to get your input. 

We want to cover the tour in a more interesting way if we are going to do it.  Meaning we are NOT going to do WITB on the Monday after the tournament like everyone does.  That is just clickbait FYI and is a disservice to consumers as well in our opinion.

SO...how would you like to see MYGOLFSPY cover the tour? 

Think different, think unique, think about ways it has never been covered that would interest you.

Thanks!

#TruthDigest

This is awesome!

I would love to see a meet the caddy MyGolfSpy thread. Pick a caddy each week, interview, recommendations, interests.

Also, it would be cool to have a course walk through that wasn't just a select few holes. Get an on course look at those greens, fairways, bunkers is it really 220 yards?

An inside the tour trucks too. Meet the teams that keep the Pros happy out there.

More of a behind the scenes.

And the WITB is cool, but nothing really changes from week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I bet there is an MGS'er at almost every tour event.....something written from the fan's perspective would be fun.  Obviously, you would need to be looking at which member would be there in advance....but I think it would be a fun read.....something for the members done by the members

Maybe reward the member doing the write up with a hat/shirt or something like that

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

2cents...

Personally I'm not all that interested in more Pro Golf/Tour stuff. I think you guys go a great job doing what you do. That alone separates you from the pack IMO. I understand wanting to expand and perhaps offer something new. But Pro Tour info is a dime a dozen out there in all forms/media available. Zzzzzzzz. 

If I were to suggest anything It might be Amature Golf meaning... college, US Am, Walker Cup and the various other high level competitions that take place all over the country each year. Those types I can relate to more closely than any Pro Tour/golf. One other thing... perhaps bring onboard a weekly or monthly series contributor of some kind. Like a fitting expert (like a Wishon), Coaching expert... ie Shawn Clements types for example.

I don't think you guys can go wrong by sticking to what you do and obviously do well.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

How about an interview with the course Super? How is the course set up different from any other day of the week for a PGA event? Like Shanskter , I'd like to know more about the people behind the scenes and what they do. We know all we need/want to know about the players. That said, there is nothing wrong with talking with them.

I'm with PlaidJacket in that there's enough PGA coverage and I personally don't come to MGS for that type of golf news/info.

I like the idea of looking at other angles, like upcoming amateurs, maybe Q school stuff, behind the scenes of golf tourneys like Silver & Black mentioned.

ESPN does caddie interviews each week, so I'm not sure that needs to be repeated.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm with PlaidJacket in that there's enough PGA coverage and I personally don't come to MGS for that type of golf news/info.

I like the idea of looking at other angles, like

Upcoming amateurs, w school stuff, behind the scenes of golf like Silver & Black mentioned.

ESPN does caddie interviews each week, so I'm not sure that needs to be repeated.

ESPN is horrible. but I didn't know they did that. Never even thought about he Am stuff.

- Alan

I really like what Skratch does with their approach to your coverage. They just do some quick videos with past and present Tour players, from serious interviews to just quick random questions. Just kinda get to know the Tour players in a more personal way. I might be one of the only ones interested in stuff like that, but I like a more whimsical approach to things

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

This is awesome!

I would love to see a meet the caddy MyGolfSpy thread. Pick a caddy each week, interview, recommendations, interests.

Also, it would be cool to have a course walk through that wasn't just a select few holes. Get an on course look at those greens, fairways, bunkers is it really 220 yards?

An inside the tour trucks too. Meet the teams that keep the Pros happy out there.

More of a behind the scenes.

And the WITB is cool, but nothing really changes from week to week.

I like the caddy idea. Cool to see how they prepare, their view of the course and what insight they are going to give to their player.

Maybe challenge them to a competition of some sort to see if they can beat a spy at putting, juggling a ball with a wedge, or eat a sammich?

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I understand people saying there is tour stuff elsewhere, but if I can get most of my golf info and news from MGS then that's fine by me.

Ideas:

I like the inside the Tour Truck, but know it's been done by others.

I like the caddie and super perspective ideas a lot.

Also what about 300 yards with. Kind of like someone mentioned w quick hitter q&a or thoughts of the day as a player walls from the tee to his ball after a drive. Obviously have to be a practice round and the right minded Pro but itd be different.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'll gladly go interview someone. I'll just have to use an alias. They probably won't let me within 15 miles of a PGA event with my last name...

Now that's funny!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

This forum is a community all interested in one thing, golf. Not necessarily golfers. Taking an approach considering the style of the course being played that week. Who it is that designed the course. Interviewing them to really get to understand their thoughts.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I'll gladly go interview someone. I'll just have to use an alias. They probably won't let me within 15 miles of a PGA event with my last name...

LOL.

Likewise, I'd gladly go to the Sony open and see if anyone would talk to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Meet the caddy would be cool. I'd like to see more about how pros really test clubs and tweak them on the range or course. All the extras like lead tape is fascinating to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I would enjoy polling & opinion. Maybe as to whether the tournament had a good course set up, whether the winner earned or backed into it, commentary on the strength of the field, & how their team (caddie, trainer, swing coach, rehab team) impacted his/her success or lack thereof. Also more commentary/opinion on the typical drama that occurs on rulings, etc..

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

a pro, The pros, and THE Pros dont talk about their swings other than the blurb after a good round or a win. Even when its not going so well we get the standard; 'I hit it good today, but..."

If someone could a get these guys to answer something along the lines of, "Our readers have heard you turn your left hip like so. How or why do you turn your left hip the way your do?" And all the real stuff they might be trying to do rather than the standard yet rare, what are you working on?

Wha? would be the answer if THAT question was even posed to them which is why it isnt done. And props to Jason Day who has gone into his own how to's a time or two without prompting.

Everybody has hogan figured out but no one ever asked him what he really meant, at least not to the point with any success. As if right because you took what Ben gave you.

But the nuggets these guys like Day rarely drop are solid gold.

And an MGS What are You Working on... DJ... ?

Priceless.

But becoming a fixture and one these guys would talk to in that vien and for general consumption would be a masters class in perseverence, not to mention a first. The guys up and down the money list could shed some serious light on what really works and what doesnt at that level so you never know.

I'm not sure how to answer this. There's been a lot of good response and many interesting ideas.

I just don't think a clone of ESPN, Golf Digest etc. is something I would have interest in.

I'm sure with the ideas proposed you'll come up with something.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I've always been interested in how those suckers get from one tournament to another.  I mean you have to get all those arrangements made like hotel/home accommodations, transportation around the area, do they always eat out or do they cook food at a home they're renting, and how do they get those golf outfits so wrinkle free?  I mean seriously, how in the hell do you travel all over the country and not have a wrinkle in ya pants!  :blink:

What I'd like to hear about is how do they handle all of the non golf stuff and maybe some stories of what happens around there homes for the week.    ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've always been interested in how those suckers get from one tournament to another. I mean you have to get all those arrangements made like hotel/home accommodations, transportation around the area, do they always eat out or do they cook food at a home they're renting, and how do they get those golf outfits so wrinkle free? I mean seriously, how in the hell do you travel all over the country and not have a wrinkle in ya pants! :blink:

What I'd like to hear about is how do they handle all of the non golf stuff and maybe some stories of what happens around there homes for the week. ;)

I'll go with that.

Leave the "how to cure your slice" to others.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I've always been interested in how those suckers get from one tournament to another.  I mean you have to get all those arrangements made like hotel/home accommodations, transportation around the area, do they always eat out or do they cook food at a home they're renting, and how do they get those golf outfits so wrinkle free?  I mean seriously, how in the hell do you travel all over the country and not have a wrinkle in ya pants!  :blink:

What I'd like to hear about is how do they handle all of the non golf stuff and maybe some stories of what happens around there homes for the week.    ;)

Good stuff OG.  I hear some of that from my caddie friends, but yeah hearing about how evertrhing comes together.

Also along those lines, some insight and details from some of the tour stops about all that goes into and behind the scenes of staging a tournament.   I mean from the very beginning of the contract singing to getting the course ready back for members. 

Maybe on Sundays, Shankster can make omelettes for the leader before the tournament starts and discuss with him his thoughts going into the final round?

Seriously though.....  I like the idea of going inside the tour van, seeing the tweeks they make to players clubs before the tournament etc...

Something behind the scenes we don't get to hear about much would be awesome.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Maybe on Sundays, Shankster can make omelettes for the leader before the tournament starts and discuss with him his thoughts going into the final round?

Seriously though..... I like the idea of going inside the tour van, seeing the tweeks they make to players clubs before the tournament etc...

Something behind the scenes we don't get to hear about much would be awesome.

Now you're talking. Hey Adam Scott how do you like your omelette prepared?

- Alan

Most of the current golf reporting sources concentrate on the name players and the winners each week.   Perhaps, do not concentrate on the tournaments but the players-the up and coming players.   Such would include those up and coming players on the college teams and the Web.com.   They will form the ranks of the name players some day.   For example, at this year's open, while they were mentioned, the amateurs were hardly noticed in any detail.    It would be interesting to watch their progress to make the show.  And when they reach "the show", we can say we knew them when.  

I've always been interested in how those suckers get from one tournament to another. I mean you have to get all those arrangements made like hotel/home accommodations, transportation around the area, do they always eat out or do they cook food at a home they're renting, and how do they get those golf outfits so wrinkle free? I mean seriously, how in the hell do you travel all over the country and not have a wrinkle in ya pants! :blink:

What I'd like to hear about is how do they handle all of the non golf stuff and maybe some stories of what happens around there homes for the week. ;)

I have also wondered about their clothes. Do they rewear stuff or always have something new? Why do my collars and pants pockets have sunscreen stains and theirs never do? These are the important questions.

I like the idea.

Sent from my MotoG3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have also wondered about their clothes. Do they rewear stuff or always have something new? Why do my collars and pants pockets have sunscreen stains and theirs never do? These are the important questions.

I like the idea.

Sent from my MotoG3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Rick

Left Hand, 

They definitely have staffs to handle those arrangements for them so they can focus on their craft. Those requirements are what make it so tough on up and coming players because they can't afford all of those niceties.

As far as clothes, I bet the sponsor either provides tons of new stock or sees to it that the shirts are cleaned thoroughly. Remember the squared off collars Tiger would wear that were clearly over pressed?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

They definitely have staffs to handle those arrangements for them so they can focus on their craft. Those requirements are what make it so tough on up and coming players because they can't afford all of those niceties.

As far as clothes, I bet the sponsor either provides tons of new stock or sees to it that the shirts are cleaned thoroughly. Remember the squared off collars Tiger would wear that were clearly over pressed?

Right on.

When the Pros get to a venue I'm sure their agents/sponsors have everything ready for them. Would be into hear the backstory.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Except for the majors where some companies debut a new scripting, the players pick and pack their own clothes each week. They may have one or two new pieces waiting for them. But that's generally it.

Only the very top few guys travel with staffs. You'd be surprised Most travel on their own or with a wife and handle their own day to day duties. If they stay in a hotel they'll send stuff out or even iron it themselves.

90% of these guys are just like us and have real lives and travel issues to deal with as well. It's just that their job is our hobby.

Archived