TESTERS WANTED! ×

BOA vs standard shoes - benefits?

jaymikem

Hey everyone I am looking to get a new pair of golf shoes and I see that more and more brands are offering boa systems with their seemed like previously it was just footjoy employing the system, but now adidas, Nike and even Puma are all on board with some sort of boa-type system. I know they are supposed to supply a more secure hold throughout the round, but what other benefits are there? For people that made the switch, what made you try them out and stick with the system? And does anyone know what the acceptance is on tour? Any input is appreciated. And if there is another forum that already talks about it, drop me the link and I will check it out. Thanks!

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

+1 want to know as well

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Believe there is a thread but anyways, have 3 prs by FJ & I truly like em. Dont think I'll tie another golf shoe. Wish Dexter made them for bowling.

Can you give a little more detail about why you like them so much? Ease of use? Hate tying shoes and looks better than Velcro? Foot feels more stable in the shoes? Just trying to get some more insight. I find that I usually only end up tying my shoes at the beginning of a round, so I am curious what other people see as the benefits to their game, if any.

Thanks!

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

What I really like about the BOA system is that it applies a consistent pull across the entire foot when you tighten down. With laces, that doesn't always happen. I would have to pull laces loose all the way down, then tighten from the bottom to top to get the same security. The BOA system saves a few minutes and it's consistent every time you put the shoes on.

The only reason I don't use them exclusively is because I hate the look of the knob. On pure performance however, they are tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Hey guys thanks for the input. I also found this older thread in the apparel section that discusses the same thing, so here is the link so so future posts can get there:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18096-boadisc-yay-or-nay/page-3?do=findComment&comment=304299

I have the FJ FeeStyle with BOA. They allow for easy on/off of the shoe. It's also easy to tighten mid round with a few clicks without needing to re-tie your shoes. I also like the look of the top of the shoe without laces.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Driver: </span></span></strong> :taylormade-small: <strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>R11 8.5* Fujikura Blur Stiff </span></span></strong></span><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-25 4-PW KBS Tour 90 Stiff </span></span></strong></span><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52* Miura K-Grind 54* </span></span></strong> :vokey-small: <strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>SM 58*</span></span></strong></span><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Putter: </span></span></strong> :taylormade-small:<strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>TM-880</span></span></strong></span>

@scooducks I agree about the standard pressure across the foot, and I have tried the boa system in the FJs but I didn't love the placement of the knob, but I did find that the boa was very good at reducing heel slip and is very comfortable which I wasn't expecting. Also, the system is light weight and seems to work very well with the stability of the shoe, seems to almost make the show "wrap". The only complaint I've heard from a few people is they can be a bit to snug for the people with really wide feet and flat arches.

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I like the placement of the FJs vs the rest of the brands who either have it on the tongue or the side. Reason being, you can't feel the knob. My son bought a pair of Adidas Tour 360 Boost BOA and I tried it on but the tongue felt too restrictive. BOA also makes getting the shoe in and out really easy. I doubt I'll ever buy a shoe without BOA anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Irons: Miura PP9003 KBS Tour 90 R 5-P

Wedges: Miura New Wedge Series 51 Deg, Cobra Tour Trusty 56 Deg

Driver: Bridgestone JGR 10.5 with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

3 Wood: Bridgestone JGR 3W with Tour AD J16-11W Stiff Reg stock JDM

Hybrid: Bridgestone JGR 4H with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kinloch C 

Right handed, lives in Singapore

Playing in the mid 90s and trying my best to break 90 consistently.

I have 3 pair of the BOA and my wife has 2. We both love how easy it is to get these on and off. A big plus is if the feel loose at all just reach down and tighten the knob. No re-tying a shoe during a round for me. We have only tried the FJ style and might try the adidas once they get in stock at the club.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Just got a pair of Puma Spikeless Sports with BOA - my first pair. Pros: easy, comfy and snug; each click gives just a tick more tightness so you can get the fit just right and as someone mentioned earlier, it's a snap to tighten up again during the round. Cons: So far, hardly any - if you over tighten you basically have to start over again, which is no big deal - turn the knob once to the left and start tightening till you're happy. BOA does free you from the nightmare that is tying and re-tying your shoes, but as most of us learned by age 5, that isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.  

I'm anxious to try BOA in a more stable shoe than the Spikeless Sport - maybe in a Tour Boost 360 - and see how it adds to the comfort and stability. My guess is it will.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have tried some BOAs and I liked them just couldn't justify the difference in price. I do however like my shoes to stay really tight during the round and with my lace ups I have to retie several times.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Like Barbs I have the Puma Sport Disc

Loves the ease of getting on and off. Like the ability to tune in the tightness.

But i find i do have to tighten mine two or three times a round and two or three times during the day off course.

That's the only negative I've had.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Only have BOA in my snowboarding boots.  I see how it could be beneficial in golf shoes by keeping the constant tightness throughout the foot.  Next time I'm in need of some new shoes I might try them out.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I've got 3 pairs of FJ Hyperflex with BOA.  I don't ever want to go back to laces.  Like others have mentioned it's very easy to dial in the exact tightness that you desire without have to work the laces from bottom to top and get it just right.

I also dislike tying shoes.  In all of my street shoes I'll either tie the laces once loose enough so I can slip them on and off, or by loafer types of shoes without laces.  I've also tried snap laces which work well enough, but it's hard to get an even snugness in those similar to laces.  

As to the cost adder it really varies by brand.  Just doing a quick search and looks like some PUMA shoes are no cost adder, adidas varies and most FJ are a $20 adder.  To me it's well worth it for $20 to get BOA.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I wasn't able to wear the boa shoes. I have a high arch and narrow foot and I couldn't get it to tighten evenly across the foot. If it was right around the top then squeezed the arch. If it was good on the arch the top was loose.

Hope this helps!

The boa is ugly on the shoe, may as well use Velcro closures since you don't want the inconvenience of actually tying your shoe

I would totally rock velcro shoes, I used to have a pair in college.  (sneakers, not golf shoes)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Another big advantage of BOA, never having to worry about broken laces. Had it happen once mid round when retying my shoes, not fun. I carry spare laces, but it was annoying and time consuming to change out mid round.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Just bought the FJ Pro SL BOA model.  Tried every BOA shoe in stock at the store I was at.  The FJ model stuck out b/c of the location of the BOA mechanism.  The shoe seemed to pull more evenly when the mechanism is placed in the heel.  Didn't like the feel of other models mounted on tongue.  They are very comfortable and secure.

However...

1.  I had a tendency to over-tighten my first few rounds.  Relaxed the tension at the turn and felt great.  Still secure

2.  The heel on the Pro SL has a pointed shape that come to the base of my large ankle bone.  Gave myself a hearty blister on the range with shorty socks.  4 rounds in, slightly longer socks...problem solved.

Overall, I'm really happy with the Pro SL BOA model.  Waterproofing is excellent.  Great grip, secure feeling.  

Really appreciate all of the input from everyone. I have seen a couple of good deals on some of the adidas boa models, so I will have to give those a test, as well as some of the footjoy boas and see what I think.

When can we expect boa in skates? You think breaking a lace mid-round is rough, try doing it on the bench...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I have very high arches and pretty wide feet. Haven't found BOA that could actually get my foot comfortable all the way around. Though I have yet to test out this year's line up. Anyone have similar feet that work well in BOA?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Guess you tried swapping insoles already?

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I recently purchased a pair of FJ Hyperflex with the boa system and would have to say they are the most comfortable golf shoes I've ever worn. Went through the previous Aussie summer and found them cool and light. I think I'll probably buy them again when this pair wears out.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ran into golf galaxy the other day and they had the adidas powerband BOA Boosts marked down for under $100, so I took it as a sign that it was time to get a pair. I have only played 2 rounds in them so far, but I am happy with the purchase. The shoes are comfortable, and I do like the convenience of the BOA system - just slide my foot in the shoes, twist the dial and go. I wouldn't say that my foot feels more secure than when I had standard laced shoes or that I will only buy BOA shoes going forward because they have revolutionized my game. But as others have said if the price is right or you are trying to decide between a BOA pair and a standard shoe that cost the same amount of coin, I would go with the pair that has the extra technology.

Archived