jaymikem

BOA vs standard shoes - benefits?

Our Sponsors

Hey everyone I am looking to get a new pair of golf shoes and I see that more and more brands are offering boa systems with their seemed like previously it was just footjoy employing the system, but now adidas, Nike and even Puma are all on board with some sort of boa-type system. I know they are supposed to supply a more secure hold throughout the round, but what other benefits are there? For people that made the switch, what made you try them out and stick with the system? And does anyone know what the acceptance is on tour? Any input is appreciated. And if there is another forum that already talks about it, drop me the link and I will check it out. Thanks!

• Like 2

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

+1 want to know as well

• Like 2

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Believe there is a thread but anyways, have 3 prs by FJ & I truly like em. Dont think I'll tie another golf shoe. Wish Dexter made them for bowling.

• Like 2

Believe there is a thread but anyways, have 3 prs by FJ & I truly like em. Dont think I'll tie another golf shoe. Wish Dexter made them for bowling.

Can you give a little more detail about why you like them so much? Ease of use? Hate tying shoes and looks better than Velcro? Foot feels more stable in the shoes? Just trying to get some more insight. I find that I usually only end up tying my shoes at the beginning of a round, so I am curious what other people see as the benefits to their game, if any.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

Yeah, ease of use. on & off. Plus today's shoe strings are so long.

• Like 2

What I really like about the BOA system is that it applies a consistent pull across the entire foot when you tighten down. With laces, that doesn't always happen. I would have to pull laces loose all the way down, then tighten from the bottom to top to get the same security. The BOA system saves a few minutes and it's consistent every time you put the shoes on.

The only reason I don't use them exclusively is because I hate the look of the knob. On pure performance however, they are tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Hey guys thanks for the input. I also found this older thread in the apparel section that discusses the same thing, so here is the link so so future posts can get there:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18096-boadisc-yay-or-nay/page-3?do=findComment&comment=304299

• Like 1

I have the FJ FeeStyle with BOA. They allow for easy on/off of the shoe. It's also easy to tighten mid round with a few clicks without needing to re-tie your shoes. I also like the look of the top of the shoe without laces.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Driver: </span></span></strong> :taylormade-small: <strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>R11 8.5* Fujikura Blur Stiff </span></span></strong></span><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-25 4-PW KBS Tour 90 Stiff </span></span></strong></span><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52* Miura K-Grind 54* </span></span></strong> :vokey-small: <strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>SM 58*</span></span></strong></span><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>Putter: </span></span></strong> :taylormade-small:<strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: arial'><span style='color: #808080'>TM-880</span></span></strong></span>

@scooducks I agree about the standard pressure across the foot, and I have tried the boa system in the FJs but I didn't love the placement of the knob, but I did find that the boa was very good at reducing heel slip and is very comfortable which I wasn't expecting. Also, the system is light weight and seems to work very well with the stability of the shoe, seems to almost make the show "wrap". The only complaint I've heard from a few people is they can be a bit to snug for the people with really wide feet and flat arches.

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I like the placement of the FJs vs the rest of the brands who either have it on the tongue or the side. Reason being, you can't feel the knob. My son bought a pair of Adidas Tour 360 Boost BOA and I tried it on but the tongue felt too restrictive. BOA also makes getting the shoe in and out really easy. I doubt I'll ever buy a shoe without BOA anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Irons: Miura PP9003 KBS Tour 90 R 5-P

Wedges: Miura New Wedge Series 51 Deg, Cobra Tour Trusty 56 Deg

Driver: Bridgestone JGR 10.5 with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

3 Wood: Bridgestone JGR 3W with Tour AD J16-11W Stiff Reg stock JDM

Hybrid: Bridgestone JGR 4H with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kinloch C 

Right handed, lives in Singapore

Playing in the mid 90s and trying my best to break 90 consistently.

I have 3 pair of the BOA and my wife has 2. We both love how easy it is to get these on and off. A big plus is if the feel loose at all just reach down and tighten the knob. No re-tying a shoe during a round for me. We have only tried the FJ style and might try the adidas once they get in stock at the club.

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Irons:  Sub 70 

699 Pro - 3 Iron (4 iron bent to 20*)

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges:

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Bag: Sub 70 Cart Bag
Handicap index:  +2.4

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'd buy BOA on every show I have if I could. Wish they weren't so expensive. So much easier to customize your fit.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just got a pair of Puma Spikeless Sports with BOA - my first pair. Pros: easy, comfy and snug; each click gives just a tick more tightness so you can get the fit just right and as someone mentioned earlier, it's a snap to tighten up again during the round. Cons: So far, hardly any - if you over tighten you basically have to start over again, which is no big deal - turn the knob once to the left and start tightening till you're happy. BOA does free you from the nightmare that is tying and re-tying your shoes, but as most of us learned by age 5, that isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.  

I'm anxious to try BOA in a more stable shoe than the Spikeless Sport - maybe in a Tour Boost 360 - and see how it adds to the comfort and stability. My guess is it will.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have tried some BOAs and I liked them just couldn't justify the difference in price. I do however like my shoes to stay really tight during the round and with my lace ups I have to retie several times.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Like Barbs I have the Puma Sport Disc

Loves the ease of getting on and off. Like the ability to tune in the tightness.

But i find i do have to tighten mine two or three times a round and two or three times during the day off course.

That's the only negative I've had.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Only have BOA in my snowboarding boots.  I see how it could be beneficial in golf shoes by keeping the constant tightness throughout the foot.  Next time I'm in need of some new shoes I might try them out.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:odyssey-small: Sabertooth

I've got 3 pairs of FJ Hyperflex with BOA.  I don't ever want to go back to laces.  Like others have mentioned it's very easy to dial in the exact tightness that you desire without have to work the laces from bottom to top and get it just right.

I also dislike tying shoes.  In all of my street shoes I'll either tie the laces once loose enough so I can slip them on and off, or by loafer types of shoes without laces.  I've also tried snap laces which work well enough, but it's hard to get an even snugness in those similar to laces.  

As to the cost adder it really varies by brand.  Just doing a quick search and looks like some PUMA shoes are no cost adder, adidas varies and most FJ are a $20 adder.  To me it's well worth it for $20 to get BOA.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The boa is ugly on the shoe, may as well use Velcro closures since you don't want the inconvenience of actually tying your shoes

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I wasn't able to wear the boa shoes. I have a high arch and narrow foot and I couldn't get it to tighten evenly across the foot. If it was right around the top then squeezed the arch. If it was good on the arch the top was loose.

Hope this helps!