BOA vs standard shoes - benefits?

jaymikem

The boa is ugly on the shoe, may as well use Velcro closures since you don't want the inconvenience of actually tying your shoe

I would totally rock velcro shoes, I used to have a pair in college.  (sneakers, not golf shoes)

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Another big advantage of BOA, never having to worry about broken laces. Had it happen once mid round when retying my shoes, not fun. I carry spare laces, but it was annoying and time consuming to change out mid round.

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Just bought the FJ Pro SL BOA model.  Tried every BOA shoe in stock at the store I was at.  The FJ model stuck out b/c of the location of the BOA mechanism.  The shoe seemed to pull more evenly when the mechanism is placed in the heel.  Didn't like the feel of other models mounted on tongue.  They are very comfortable and secure.

However...

1.  I had a tendency to over-tighten my first few rounds.  Relaxed the tension at the turn and felt great.  Still secure

2.  The heel on the Pro SL has a pointed shape that come to the base of my large ankle bone.  Gave myself a hearty blister on the range with shorty socks.  4 rounds in, slightly longer socks...problem solved.

Overall, I'm really happy with the Pro SL BOA model.  Waterproofing is excellent.  Great grip, secure feeling.  

Really appreciate all of the input from everyone. I have seen a couple of good deals on some of the adidas boa models, so I will have to give those a test, as well as some of the footjoy boas and see what I think.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

When can we expect boa in skates? You think breaking a lace mid-round is rough, try doing it on the bench...

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I have very high arches and pretty wide feet. Haven't found BOA that could actually get my foot comfortable all the way around. Though I have yet to test out this year's line up. Anyone have similar feet that work well in BOA?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have very high arches and pretty wide feet. Haven't found BOA that could actually get my foot comfortable all the way around. Though I have yet to test out this year's line up. Anyone have similar feet that work well in BOA?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Guess you tried swapping insoles already?

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I recently purchased a pair of FJ Hyperflex with the boa system and would have to say they are the most comfortable golf shoes I've ever worn. Went through the previous Aussie summer and found them cool and light. I think I'll probably buy them again when this pair wears out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 3 weeks later...

So I ran into golf galaxy the other day and they had the adidas powerband BOA Boosts marked down for under $100, so I took it as a sign that it was time to get a pair. I have only played 2 rounds in them so far, but I am happy with the purchase. The shoes are comfortable, and I do like the convenience of the BOA system - just slide my foot in the shoes, twist the dial and go. I wouldn't say that my foot feels more secure than when I had standard laced shoes or that I will only buy BOA shoes going forward because they have revolutionized my game. But as others have said if the price is right or you are trying to decide between a BOA pair and a standard shoe that cost the same amount of coin, I would go with the pair that has the extra technology.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I really want to get into the BOA world. About to pull the trigger soon on a pair

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

As someone with extra wide feet, BOA was a godsend for me. It really allowed me to dial in the proper fit for my weird feet. It's honestly the only thing keeping me from switching my FJ Countours to the Sketcher brand, as I love their shoes in everything else.

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Being in the bike (pedal bike, not motorcycle) industry for almost 15years Im a little skeptical of BOA. I cant tell you how many riding buddies have broken the wires on cycling shoes. Personally, Ive broken 6 wires on 4 different shoes. 

Consider a pedal motion compared to a golf swing motion and a pedal motion is almost stagnant. There is little to no torque on the wires and they still broke. Im scared when applying that much force and twisting to them during a golf swing. 

I guess time will tell. 

8hhf0J5.png

I've got 2 pairs of Adidas BOA Boost shoes and love them.  If you're lazy, like me, and want a ridiculously easy way to get your shoes on and off then these are the way to go.  When the round is over with you just pop the little BOA knob, slip them off and I'm in my flip flops in a matter of seconds.

I am currently playing the FJ Flex BOA. It's definitely super easy to use, but a couple things to mention. The twist is in the back and not on top (like adidas) and if you do drills with something behind you or like to clean club with your foot the twist can come unlocked pretty easily. Also you need to do an additional twist after hitting a couple of shots to really get a secure fit. But overall they're way easier than laces and apply equal pressure. I'd just like to see the twist on top and the lock-in function to be a little tougher!

David Challoner

Driver: Callaway EPIC, 8.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue 75 Max, X-Flex

Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+, 16*, Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex

Iron Specs: Srixon U65 2i, Srixon 765 3i-6i, Srixon 965 7i-PW, Project X 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Dexterity: Right-Handed

HCP: 6.9

"Slow, Smooth, and Finish"

I've looked at BOA shoes but never could make myself spend the extra cash

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft