Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Scratch 58* Wedge Review

Rounders

I just received my Scratch wedge from the MGS lottery today. Here are some pics of this beauty (Think of them as glamor shots in perfect condition before it hits the course) Review to follow. Thanks again to the people at Scratch golf and MGS for letting me participate in this review process. I can't say enough about the people at Scratch golf.

So a couple weeks have gone by and I've only been able to get in about 4 rounds off golf. One being a scramble. All of which I have given the Scratch 58 plenty of chances to get a good feel for.

Looks 10 out of 10

I love the classic look of this wedge, right from the set up position to the black finish. It is a very classic looking wedge with very little graphics on the club which I enjoy.

The club has a very flat, almost blade like leading edge which when you look down on it gave me confidence that I could pick it of the tightest lie, where my X Forged 58 has a more rounded leading edge, believe me I've skulled a few from tight lies on a fwy before. The only negative about the wedge is the grip, as stated in JB's review the grip was fairly "cheap" looking and feeling. Which didn't matter cause it wasn't on the club for more than a day after I received it.

Feel/Performance 10 out of 10

The feel can be summed up by one of the reactions of one of my buddies from work while we were golfing one morning. I hit a 80 full shot into the first green, which was the first shot I hit with it on the golf course. He said "Man that thing sounds soft" To which I said F#$%ing rights it is. I was impressed right from the get go.

The All Bite no Chew groove do just that, I spun an couple wedge shots from various locations including the ruff and the ABC grooves did little damage to my Callaway tour i(S). Performance out of the bunker was comparable to my X Forged, where I noticed an improvement was from really tight bunker lies which are quite frequent where im from. I was able to successfully get my club under the ball and hit the proper "lob" shot when needed. I credit that to Scratch's fitting process which fit my swing type to the proper grind.

Overall.

I don't believe in giving full marks for any thing so I'll have to give the scratch 58 wedge a 9/10. The half point deduction would have to be due to the grip LOL that's such a minor thing. The other half point would have to come from the price point of the wedge. Don't get me wrong I know this wedge didn't cost me a red cent but at $149.99 I don't think too many people would consider buying this wedge when the market is used to the $129.99 price point. I love the look and feel as well as the performance of this club. I loved the feel of the KBS shaft as well and in conjunction with the 8620 head it was perfect. Thanks again to MGS and Ari and his crew at Scratch for allowing me to participate in this amazing program. It has and will continue to bring more exposure to to those companies who make great products that people don't know about.

100_2200.JPG

100_2203.JPG

100_2204.JPG

100_2205.JPG

100_2206.JPG

Fairways and Greens

I'm so excited to get mine out on the course; I also got the 58*, with a SFU grind. I hit 10 balls with it on the range the other night and it was money. I walked up and down the range with my rangefinder to get a 110yd shot on one of the flags and I bounced 4/10 off the flag, with the rest all finishing inside 15'. I love it, just haven't had a chance to put it through a full review yet.

Archived