Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Heavy shafts

808nation

Do you need to be physically fit to use heavy shafts or could it be all technique/skill? Are there any advantages to using heavier iron shafts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Do you need to be physically fit to use heavy shafts or could it be all technique/skill? Are there any advantages to using heavier iron shafts?

I'm pretty scrawny and I prefer a heavier weight shaft, higher swing weight anyways. Too light and I lose the club head.

- Alan

I'm pretty scrawny and I prefer a heavier weight shaft, higher swing weight anyways. Too light and I lose the club head.

- Alan

At the end of the day 'feeling' the club head has helped more than alot of other things. But its a hard idea to get across. Mass marketing sells 'light" and fitting seems to go to the more 'standard' D weights but heavier can be a real eye opener... and knowing where that clubhead is throughout makes can make alot of difference. Especially with swing changes taking hold. Orange whip is all about this at the end of the day too.

Talked before of a guy with all the distance and nary a fairway wood he could use off the shelf or from the fitter he goes to. Couldnt even pull them out of the bag.

Got him into a much heavier club with some prodding and 240-50 from the fairway is on the green if not right there now. Drat! But its what works and he asked me yesterday where to get some good lead tape as he wants to turn his driver into another heavy beast. Drat again!!

But hes finally found the distance his swing was capable of, always a good thing. With the caveat that yours truly see's that its finally time to move up to the old fart tee's with the rest of the old farts. When all around you find 20 or even 30 more than you got a mans got face the music. Beware the terror of the geritol tees!  :o 

In short. No, I have not seen being fit or not a factor in heavier shafts or not. And Yes, a slight difference in iron shaft weight can be a big change for the better. As with all things it depends what you need and what really works in the end. IF... you can find a fitter who will let you take several heavier, albeit correctly fitted, irons and hit them for a week or so you will find the difference that might work for you. Ususally there not going to be there off the rack for you to experiment with. People that liked heavier in a baseball bat or other sticks seem to do quite well with them in golf where as others can find it quite eye opening to realize the possible benefits that were not known to them. It goes against standard thought of lighter = speed = distance and all that.

Again, "feeling the clubhead" as maybe never before can be a good thing.

To continue the conversation, is there any general trend? Like how shaft stiffness is, as a general rule, certain mph swing speeds will demand a certain stiffness?

I'm wondering how I would do if I went up to xp105s like the shaft fit website suggests. Like dadivots mentioned I don't think I can get ahold of a set to try for a week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I was using XP95 shafts stiff and my miss mes were all over, one left, one right, and so on, no consistency at all, I wanted to try heavier shafts but didn't want to spend a lot of money in case it didn't work. So I did some research and found a shaft that so far has worked excellent. Apollo Black Steel, they are much heavier in the 128-130 range now my miss is much smaller, and it is typically left, the only time I go right is when I really hit a hard pull, so knowing that my miss will almost always go left I at least have an idea where the ball is going. The shafts were about $7 each, so I only have about 60 dollars in them, and to be honest I am so glad I switched to a heavier shaft, and these shaft as far as I'm concerned are as good as any I have used. So, no you don't have to be physically fit to use heavy shafts, and you don't have to spend a fortune to do it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Some swings may benefit from heavier clubs but in general, the heavier the shaft, the less feel you will have for the actual clubhead.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

We really seem to be talking past ourselves here. A heavier shaft does not necessarily mean a heavier swing weight. We have a couple of professional fitters on this sight. We also have some guys who are quite adept at home club building projects and very knowledgeable. It might be well if one of them could "weigh" in. :) I know that's who I would want to hear from if I were asking this question.

I agree with Kor a dor that this has everything to do with the players swing characteristics and much less to do with his fitness. It also doesn't require a huge investment but it would be at least the cost of a fitting. Why not get the fitting?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... Kinda, but it depends on what is meant by heavier. I am 64 and coming off a bacterial infection and lost 25 lbs. So I have not regained all my strength back, but pretty close. I have 110 shafts some might consider heavier, and they fit me well and are all the weight I need. Trying to hit my sons 130gm DGX100 shafts tipped 1/2" and 1/2" long for a D4 swing weight feels like a literal sledgehammer. He is 6'3" 235 and still trains like he is playing DE in college so crazy strong and fast and he just kills these irons. No way I could play 18 with them and keep my normal tempo as I just don't have the strength to swing something that heavy effectively.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I was using XP95 shafts stiff and my miss mes were all over, one left, one right, and so on, no consistency at all, I wanted to try heavier shafts but didn't want to spend a lot of money in case it didn't work. So I did some research and found a shaft that so far has worked excellent. Apollo Black Steel, they are much heavier in the 128-130 range now my miss is much smaller, and it is typically left, the only time I go right is when I really hit a hard pull, so knowing that my miss will almost always go left I at least have an idea where the ball is going. The shafts were about $7 each, so I only have about 60 dollars in them, and to be honest I am so glad I switched to a heavier shaft, and these shaft as far as I'm concerned are as good as any I have used. So, no you don't have to be physically fit to use heavy shafts, and you don't have to spend a fortune to do it.

130!? OMG! I'd be exhausted after a few holes and here I thought 110 was heavy, you're a beast. I had KBS C taper lights @ 105 grams and they felt good, now I switched to 110 grams to experiment, but these really feel so much heavier even though the difference is only 5 grams. Could it be the midsize grips with couple more layers of tape vs standard?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I have to play heavy shafts because of my quick transition.

I'm 44, 5'10", 160lbs with a driver SS of 105mph, you'd think I'd be starting to consider something lighter, but my swing characteristics demand 120g+

Hmmmm, I might have to do some testing. I'm a similar build with same SS and sometimes I feel like my shafts are too light. The online fittings I've done fit me into xp105 s300 and kbs tour s which are both heavier than my current shafts.

130!? OMG! I'd be exhausted after a few holes and here I thought 110 was heavy, you're a beast. I had KBS C taper lights @ 105 grams and they felt good, now I switched to 110 grams to experiment, but these really feel so much heavier even though the difference is only 5 grams. Could it be the midsize grips with couple more layers of tape vs standard?

They do feel heavier, but it has pretty much eliminated the 2 way misses. With the 95's I felt like I had a really good strike on the ball, but I had no idea if was going to miss left or right, usually I can tell if pull it or hang it out, but I was striking it good and it was all over the place. I took a chance on the really heavy shafts, but it's what I could find for cheap, and if it did t work I was only out a few dollars compared to what it could have cost, I do all my own club work, so it didn't cost anything for that. I am really happy with the change, the shafts probably play slightly weaker to the flex compared to S300. I may have gotten lucky with the choice, but I knew I had to change something, and I knew what I wanted to accomplish. as for grips I use standard grips, with 2 wraps now and it seems to be just right for me.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I had a 120 KBS C-Taper in my old irons and in my new ones are XP 95s. I miss those 120s so much. I really did love the heavier shaft. It made me feel like I could control the club more in my swing and that I could get the right impact point. I also found that my dispersion was much tighter with the KBS shaft vs the XP shaft

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Considering I used to play 116g graphite in my driver, no.  There are no disadvantages to playing heavy shafts.  

The old rule was play the lightest shaft you can control for maximum distance.  I have always subscribed to "play the heaviest shaft that doesn't cost you significant distance."  I'd rather lose 3-5 yards and be in the fairway guaranteed than gain 20 yards for 1 shot and have the next 9 in the heavy rough. 

Considering I'm in my mid 40s and still play TX graphite and DG Tour X7 in my irons, I suspect I'll be playing heavy shafts for quite a long time.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 29 and swing mid 90's and play 110 in my irons and 75g stiff shaft in my driver. For me it's all about feel. I like the feel of heavier drivers and feel like I can control it better.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I'm able to launch the ball pretty high and need to reduce spin a little. I've got C-Taper 130s in my irons and I simply love the feel of them. I've had the opportunity to try many different weight shafts and I don't mind something in the 120s (Oban, PX LZ, etc.). I just prefer the weight and stability of the shaft.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I have always been a fan of heavier shafts until recently. I am now playing the lighted driver shaft I have ever played at 65g and iron shafts at 110g. Driver swing speed went from 116 to 118 to over 120 consistently and I don't feel like I have to smash my irons to get them to fly the distances that I am expecting. The change was hard to get over mentally but can't argue with the results.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I thought that I was going to lose a lot of club head speed with a heavier shaft, but to my surprise I didn't lose any with the same effort. I only went up 10g in my fitting today after we came to a conclusion on the best shaft for me, distances were all about the same between the two clubs (same loft) but the dispersion is much better.

Just reiterate what others have said. Don't need to be fit or be skilled to use them, but you should get what fits your swing the best.

I use px7.0s which are 130g vs a x100 which is also 130g but the two don't feel anything alike nor do they react the same for me. With the 7.0 I get a feeling that is stable and with a smooth kick (probably never mentioned in the same sentence with the px7.0) where as the x100 is squirrelly under the hands and lifeless at impact.

With my tempo/ speed, lighter shafts and I don't get along!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I have always been a fan of heavier shafts until recently. I am now playing the lighted driver shaft I have ever played at 65g and iron shafts at 110g. Driver swing speed went from 116 to 118 to over 120 consistently and I don't feel like I have to smash my irons to get them to fly the distances that I am expecting. The change was hard to get over mentally but can't argue with the results.

I did something similar as well. I switched from 120 gram iron shafts to Steelfiber 95 gram shafts and from a 76 gram driver shaft to a 68 gram. I'm hitting the ball as solid as I ever have with more distance. I always thought I needed heavier, because of my strength, but my results prove that I was wrong.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Archived