Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Did anyone ever see what Nike had planned to release for this year?

jaymikem

Since we are now almost a year removed from Nike getting out of the equipment game, I was wondering if anyone has ever come across any photos of the 2017 equipment line that would have been launched.

Based on the chatter last year, the 2017 equipment was already finished and 2018 was in development, but I personally haven't come across any photos of what they left on the table when they decided to close up shop. And in this day and age, there isn't a lot that you can't find on the internet with a quick google search. Was everything completely locked down, destroyed and burned once ping bought some of their parents? We're the innovations so mind blowing that the CIA is covering it up and using the technology in its clandestine assignments across the globe?

I know the majority of the golfing community was not a fan of Nike equipment, but I have gamed their drivers for a while as they just seemed to work for me. Heck I still bag the covert tour 2.0 driver with that bright red paint and huge cavity (which I use as a couch for my golf ball while waiting on the tee box for the rest of my group to tee off. I think that is really what it was built for!) So naturally, as a purchaser of their clubs, I am curious what innovations (or gimmicks, if you prefer to call the, that) the company was attempting to bring to the table.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I would love to see these photos, I wonder what ever happened to the ones they made. Like you said, some people didn't like their equipment, but I always thought they had some sharp irons. The Vapor Fly Pros were such a beautiful line, in my opinion. I can't speak on behalf of their performance though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

I know the majority of the golfing community was not a fan of Nike equipment, but I have gamed their drivers for a while as they just seemed to work for me. Heck I still bag the covert tour 2.0 driver with that bright red paint and huge cavity (which I use as a couch for my golf ball while waiting on the tee box for the rest of my group to tee off. I think that is really what it was built for!) So naturally, as a purchaser of their clubs, I am curious what innovations (or gimmicks, if you prefer to call the, that) the company was attempting to bring to the table.

I really like my irons - they're the most comfortable irons I've sat behind a ball since my trusty Ping Eye 2's that I gamed since I was a teen, all the way through high school, and into my adulthood until I took a break from golf as real life caught up to me. I've never hit Mizunos before, and I've seen and heard the old #nothinglikeamizuno and if their forged irons feel better than my Vapor Pro Combos, well I don't know what I'd do, probably punch a baby if there's one nearby.

The only thing I saw from this year were their unreleased bags. A few popped up on Ebay, and a friend of mine knows a local rep who said he might be able to get one, but that fell through. They didn't look much different from the last bags, just different color options I believe. That said, they were nice freakin' bags! I'm kind of a Nike fanboy, so I'm a bit biased and not afraid to admit it. I grew up in the Jordan era where all of my basketball friends were buying the sneakers, so naturally I had to have them as well. Then came Tiger, so my mom gave them her money through my childhood, and I've been throwing money at them after those years.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I grew up in the Jordan era as well - my senior year of high school I bought my first and only pair of Jordan's (so far) for the basketball season. I had never spent that much on a pair of shoes before, and haven't after, but I will say they were some of the most comfortable shoes I ever played in. It was like walking on velvet pillows.

I saw some of the golf bags pop up on eBay about a month ago - at least the listing said they were 2017 Nike air hybrid III bags. Like you mentioned, the pictures looked just like the hybrid II bag, but they were in color ways I hadn't seen before. I thought maybe they were just the color ways released to our Canadian friends in the north, since the seller was from Toronto or something like that, but maybe they were actually the unreleased bags. It would be interesting if any of the prototype clubs ever popped up somewhere for sale or in a forum. Heck, as long as it had a swoosh on it and no cavity (since the last chatter said the cavity was gone) I would believe it could actually be an unreleased club.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I wonder if they sold off those design to another company?

I know Ping bought a few of their club patents. I wonder if it was those.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

i saw this article about Phil Knight talking about Nike golf and Tiger, and i think the biggest takeaway was 

"It's a fairly simple equation, that we lost money for 20 years on equipment and balls," Knight told interviewer David Rubenstein, host of "The David Rubenstein Show: Peer-to-Peer Conversations." "We realized next year wasn't going to be any different."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/ct-nike-phil-knight-tiger-woods-20170628-story.html

Pretty sure they sold a s***-ton of soft goods though.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm curious myself. I game the Nike VRS forged irons and love them. My guess is ping will takeover anything Nike had coming out this year and stamp ping on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

I'm curious myself. I game the Nike VRS forged irons and love them. My guess is ping will takeover anything Nike had coming out this year and stamp ping on it.

I went from Pings to Vapor Pro Combos. I just got chills from this statement. I'm imagining something forged that looks along the lines of the i200 and my mouth is watering. I really want to try gaming some Mizunos, though. I need more money.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

... I know OEM's do focus groups but the corporate structure still allows them to shoot themselves in the foot with some idiot that "knows better" and feels the need to justify their position. The companies that are doing OK have a line up and have stuck with it. ProV1 is of course the best example while Nike was coming out with a new name, a new color scheme and a different look to everything - all the time. Covert Forged irons should have been developed and increased their offerings, like a Covert Forged Pro Series with a smaller head but similar look and visuals. I feel Nike has always made great wedges but again the different names and different looking heads never gave them a chance to get any traction. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I read somewhere that they had gone away from the cavity in their drivers completely. It's really too bad because there was a lot of their equipment I loved. I use a Nike vapour fly 5 wood and it's a beauty. Very solid and consistent club... maybe one day a photo or something will show up.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

IMG_2806.PNGIMG_2807.PNG

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Callaway Epic SZ 10 Degree w/ UST Proforce V2 Tipped 1/2" Stiff

Fairway

Nike Vapor Flex 3 Wood 15 w/Diamana Blue 70gram S

Irons:

TM UDI 2i, 4,5 Nike VP 6-PW Nike VRII Pro 

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

I read somewhere that they had gone away from the cavity in their drivers completely. It's really too bad because there was a lot of their equipment I loved. I use a Nike vapour fly 5 wood and it's a beauty. Very solid and consistent club... maybe one day a photo or something will show up.

I was looking to go full Nike next year. Pretty sad that such a large corporate business cut out a whole portion of their customers. I know it wasn't a "money" maker but I'll be looking at other brands for my running shoes now. They didn't follow their slogan. Quitting is not "Just do it"...

- Alan

I found a couple Nike Engaged toe sweep wedges with the blue covering on them still.

Can't wait to get these on the course.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

attachicon.gifIMG_2806.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_2807.PNG

What is this?!?!?

Driver: TM M2 10.5 Stiff Aldila Rogue

Fairway: TM M2 Fujikara Stiff

Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly CK Tensei Stiff

Irons: Nike Vapor Fly TT XP 85 Reg Standard loft and lie

Wedges: Nike Engage 52°, 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike Method Origin B1-01

I bet their old staffers do.

I've been keeping tabs on the guys that switched companies, well at least the big names, I'll give you 2, Rory, and Finau.

It seems that most, but not all of their old staffers are struggling to make the switch comfortably.

The guys still playing them like Fleetwood... might be prolonging the inevitable. They'll eventually wear out.

I've been keeping tabs on the guys that switched companies, well at least the big names, I'll give you 2, Rory, and Finau.

It seems that most, but not all of their old staffers are struggling to make the switch comfortably.

The guys still playing them like Fleetwood... might be prolonging the inevitable. They'll eventually wear out.

Do you think it's possible that either the few players still using their equipment or Nike have some equipment left over for them just in case they wanted to prolong the inevitable?

Irons: JPX 900 Forged Project X LZ 5.5/115

Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue 54°, White Satin56°

Do you think it's possible that either the few players still using their equipment or Nike have some equipment left over for them just in case they wanted to prolong the inevitable?

I think I read they'll have Tour support through this season. Could be wrong.

- Alan

What is this?!?!?

Irons: Nike Vapor Fly TT XP 85 Reg Standard loft and lie

Wedges: Nike Engage 52°, 54°, 58°

It was going to be Nike's 2017 line of Pro Combo irons. I really wanted to see their entire lineup but idk if that'll ever happen. Still burns to think about it.

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

I found a couple Nike Engaged toe sweep wedges with the blue covering on them still.

Can't wait to get these on the course.

They are amazing wedges. I have a two new sets to keep me in play for a little while.

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

Extremely disappointed that we never got to see the 2017/2018 lineup. From everything I saw online it was reported that it would have been one of their best releases. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

It was going to be Nike's 2017 line of Pro Combo irons. I really wanted to see their entire lineup but idk if that'll ever happen. Still burns to think about it.

Where did you get those pictures from. Did you have a Nike contact that sent them to you before they pulled out of the equipment game?

I thought I had read an article last year where Rory was talking about how he didn't plan on rushing in to signing with a new equipment company. I think the article mentioned that he really liked the RZN tour platinum ball and he had a huge stash to hold him over for 3 years or something like that. Since signing with Taylor made I am pretty sure he is using the tp5 or whatever their new ball is called, but just thought it was interesting that he would have wanted that large a stash of Nike balls. Maybe he should try to put those back in play - just white out the swoosh and stamp TM on those bad boys to see if it helps his game.

Not sure if this necessarily helps at all but i saw a while back that i think ping (i could have the wrong company) bought what were essentially nike blueprints for one length irons. No guarantee that they would have came out this year but that sure would have been an interesting development.

Ping g400 lst 10* w/Oban kiyoshi gold 65s

Titleist 915f 16.5* w/Aldia rogue max 75s

Cobra King UT 18* w/Kbs C-taper lite 110s

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) w/ Accra 95s proto

Titleist sm6 50*,54*,58* w/Dynamic gold s200

Evnroll Er2 35in w/superstroke flatso 1.0

• 2 weeks later...

i got the 2017 nike stand bag that was never released to the public. still think nike bags are the best. from what i heard the oven had some really good stuff ready to be released. heard they had a full rzn driver that put out very good numbers on trackman. there are some pics of couple irons. too bad nike did stay with it. heard titleist might be exiting out of club making. get rid of the woods and irons and keep vokey wedges and scotty putters and the balls. few reps said the same thing but who knows

I never really had a chance to try any Nike equipment because left handed was limited.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 months later...

A couple of weeks ago I saw that mygolfspy Facebook posted one picture of the Nike driver that was never released. Is there somewhere in the forums I can't find that has other pictures? Why the Facebook tease!?!

Nike needs to release those tour issue golf polos with the swoosh on the back and the front! 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

Archived