Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How much do you need to travel to justify purchasing a golf bag travel cover?

We were having this discussion in the office the other day. Even if you're traveling for business trips, those covers are awfully expensive, then you need to pay to check the clubs and lug them through the airport. Short of being a tour/mini tour player, I just can't see the need for one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I travel at least once a year specifically for golf, and I want my own clubs when I'm going to play 5 or 7 rounds on one trip.  For me, its well worth it to have a good solid travel bag, which I do.  A good travel bag will last for years, even with the rough handling it gets with the airlines.  For someone who might play one round in a week vacation, I can see that renting clubs would be fine.  If you don't travel often for golf, I can see that something like American Express, where they have boxes for your clubs, would be a good choice.  For me, I'm glad I have my Club Glove bag, its worth the money I spent.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I travel at least once a year specifically for golf, and I want my own clubs when I'm going to play 5 or 7 rounds on one trip. For me, its well worth it to have a good solid travel bag, which I do. A good travel bag will last for years, even with the rough handling it gets with the airlines. For someone who might play one round in a week vacation, I can see that renting clubs would be fine. If you don't travel often for golf, I can see that something like American Express, where they have boxes for your clubs, would be a good choice. For me, I'm glad I have my Club Glove bag, its worth the money I spent.

How much do airports typically charge for round trip checking? That factor basically becomes part of the greens fees.

How much do airports typically charge for round trip checking? That factor basically becomes part of the greens fees.

Each airline is different.  If I remember right, United is $35 each way for most domestic flights.  Overseas is higher, like if you take a trip to Scotland.  You can check the standard fees on any airline's website, under baggage policies.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I don't understand how anyone would fly with their clubs without a travel bag

My guess is he's asking whether it's smarter to either ship your clubs or rent at the course rather than bring your own.  I prefer to bring mine, even if I'm only playing one or two rounds during a business trip. But then again, I'm Gold on Delta and get three bags checked for free, so the costs don't matter much and I don't mind hauling the clubs through the airport or on the rental car shuttles. Temporary pain, but I get to use my own sticks.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My guess is he's asking whether it's smarter to either ship your clubs or rent at the course rather than bring your own.  I prefer to bring mine, even if I'm only playing one or two rounds during a business trip. But then again, I'm Gold on Delta and get three bags checked for free, so the costs don't matter much and I don't mind hauling the clubs through the airport or on the rental car shuttles. Temporary pain, but I get to use my own sticks.  

Ah that would make sense.  

I bring mine as well.  I have gone on several golf trips and never had any issues bringing them through the airport, etc.

The only time I will do rentals is if I am going somewhere where golf isn't the main reason I am going (ie my honeymoon)

The only time I will do rentals is if I am going somewhere where golf isn't the main reason I am going (ie my honeymoon)

That would make you a smart man!  I include any trip taken with my lovely wife for any purpose, unless I get written permission witnessed by a third party and notarized. In triplicate.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That would make you a smart man! I include any trip taken with my lovely wife for any purpose, unless I get written permission witnessed by a third party and notarized. In triplicate.

Ha! My wife is actually a good coach. She rides along, drinks beer, and tells me how and where to hit it. Wish I could take her with me every time I play because she's good for 2 strokes off the scorecard.

The only problem is talking her into spending 4 hours out in the sun

Ha! My wife is actually a good coach. She rides along, drinks beer, and tells me how and where to hit it. Wish I could take her with me every time I play because she's good for 2 strokes off the scorecard.

The only problem is talking her into spending 4 hours out in the sun

You have married well, my friend!  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

As others have said, I wouldn't think of travelling without a top quality travel bag.   I take mine on every trip that I intended to play golf, even if it's just one round.   It was a $300 investment made almost 3 years ago, and is still in great shape and gets used at least two to three times a year. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

As others have said, I wouldn't think of travelling without a top quality travel bag. I take mine on every trip that I intended to play golf, even if it's just one round. It was a $300 investment made almost 3 years ago, and is still in great shape and gets used at least two to three times a year.

Which bag do you have? I suppose you'd pay $300 for a decent suitcase as well.

Which bag do you have? I suppose you'd pay $300 for a decent suitcase as well.

I have the SunMountain Club Glider and before that had the ClubGlove Last Bag for almost 10 years.  

Yep, I don't skimp on luggage either my regular luggage is Briggs & Riley but also have a couple Titleist travel pieces, that I use for carry on. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I chose a good travel bag as the gift for our customer outing one year. Received a wide response from all participants. They were middle of road bags, have wheels at one end for pulling along through airports. I kept one for myself and use it often in travels. Maybe I'll try taking to Australia in December. I'd like to keep a set there for future visits to my daughter.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Archived