Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do you know when it's time to replace your wedges?

STUDque

Honestly I think it's has helped, especially around the greens. I know what each club can do and how far it goes. For me this works anyway

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

For me I'll wait until I see a drop in performance like loss of spin. On one or two occasions I've switched gear because I saw a big gain in new stuff but otherwise I tend to wait for wear out. Also helps if you're flat broke, no money no new stuff lol.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

If not for the impulse purchase in the interim, I swap out my wedges through roughly 100 rounds.

No science behind it, just intuition I guess. Now, I dont practice much at all so the 100 rounds pretty much represents all play.

When I've thrown it in a pond. That's when it's time to buy a new one.

I used the same wedges for five or six years and only changed because of the groove rule. I've had the same bottom two wedges since then. They look worn, more worn than yours. They work fine and I play a course that has deep rough and firm greens.

Hard to believe Scors have been out five years now.  Gosh, time flies quickly....

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I used the result of how the ball was reacting as a measure of need for new wedges. Also if you tend to practice a lot and hit a lot of wedge shots on the range, the range balls will beat down your grooves a lot faster. My latest change came

With changing lofts. I have heard numbers like every 130-150 rounds.

I used the result of how the ball was reacting as a measure of need for new wedges. Also if you tend to practice a lot and hit a lot of wedge shots on the range, the range balls will beat down your grooves a lot faster. My latest change came

With changing lofts. I have heard numbers like every 130-150 rounds.

Didn't think about the range balls. I have a shag bag I hit often but those balls are only marginally better than range balls. I know groove sharpeners mess with the conformity but do you think they can extend the life of wedges indefinitely for non-PGA rounds?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

As long as I am hitting mine good and they do what I want them to do, I'm gonna game them. Unless I just get a wild hair and feel like splurging.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I'll have to check out the RTX then. Until this thread, it wasn't even on my radar so that's really promising.

I usually know that it's time to replace them when I snap one from throwing it after another bad shot

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

My wedges are 50, 55, 60 and I have a callaway md3, and the 55 and 60 are md PM grind. I had vokey sm6 and replaced them with these if that tells you anything. The RTX 3 is probably the best feeling wedge and best spinning wedge out right now though

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So my preliminary research shows a set of RTX3 for $300 and a set of RTX2 for $200. Is the difference enough where the extra $100 investment will be noticeable?

If you shop for golf equipment on a budget, like me, go with the RTX2s. There probably isn't much of a difference. The biggest thing is getting new grooves.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

If you shop for golf equipment on a budget, like me, go with the RTX2s. There probably isn't much of a difference. The biggest thing is getting new grooves.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love where your head is at. I just needed affirmation

So my preliminary research shows a set of RTX3 for $300 and a set of RTX2 for $200. Is the difference enough where the extra $100 investment will be noticeable?

I have the RTX 2 and got my dad the RTX 3 for Christmas (he got lucky the store had the 3's) I've hit both and there really isnt a noticeable difference to me or where the ball is going. Now I'm sure if you're a tour pro you could tell. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived