Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial Review of Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges

StripedSweater69

An Unofficial Review of Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges

Hey guys and gals, I am new to the forums, but wanted to contribute something because I think this is a pretty neat community.  I've replaced almost every club in my bag this season (and my bag, come to think of it), but the most notable improvement I've seen simply due to a club upgrade has come from my set of Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges.  I purchased a 50°, 54°, and a 58°, all in the “Tour Raw” finish and the V-MG grind, on June 6th to replace my random assortment of wedges, the 50° from my iron set (Taylormade Burner ‘09s), a 55° from a set of Taylormade RBZ irons, and a 60° Cleveland RTX 2.0 that I bought on a whim when Sports Authority was in its death rattle.  I hit Cleveland RTX-3s, Vokeys, and Ping Glide wedges at the PGA Tour Superstore in Sandy, UT and just loved the look and feel of the Clevelands, so I pulled the trigger.  I paid the standard retail price of $129.99 per club + tax.

58fg9ea.jpg

I was having trouble with consistency with my original setup, probably due to my swing, but also the feel of each of the three wedges was very different.  The 5° gaps were wide as well.  I decided to shrink the gaps by 1° and get rid of the 60°.  It was simply too much loft for me, and I wasn't hitting it how I wanted to.  The first time I hit the RTX 3.0 set was one evening at work when I was waiting for the last carts to come in (perks of working at the course!).  It sounds a bit ridiculous, but I holed out my first shot from about 75 yards with the 54°.  I was sold!  I definitely didn't hole out my next 100 or so shots, but I noticed a marked improvement in my pitching game almost immediately.  I used them to chip that evening as well, and I was happy with the performance, considering my chipping was poor at best with my old set.  If I struck them well, I could get the ball to check quite a bit, even with range balls when before I don't think I ever got a ball to check noticeably at all.  Since I purchased these wedges, I've shot the best 3 rounds of my short golf life (1 year), with an 86, 85, and 84.  Also, my putting numbers have gone down, which I think has a lot to do with the fact that I'm able to miss greens, but put myself in a position to 1 putt.  I've had more 1 putts in the past few weeks than I've ever had.  It's important to keep in mind that I also have been playing A LOT (5-6 rounds per week), and am getting more comfortable on the course every day.  I was a little nervous about hitting these clubs out of the sand, as I was a solid bunker player with my old, wide-soled 55° SW.  The first go with the 54° in a bunker was a badly bladed shot that ended up on the other side of the green…. in another bunker.  The second bunker shot with the 54° was great, though, and I put it about 4 feet from the pin, which is pretty good for me!  I've continued the bunker success since that first round and have had quite a few sand saves with these clubs.  I believe I've had a sand save with each one at least once. 

Form factor is important to me, and I really like the look of these wedges.  They look very nice behind the ball and the Tour Raw finish suits me.  After playing a handful of rounds with these, the almost bronze finish is starting to wear off, exposing the raw metal beneath.  Every round I love the look more.  Rusty wedges seem to be a polarizing topic around these parts, and I fall on the side of loving the look of a well-used, trusty rusty.  On the head plastic when I purchased these, it said “designed to rust”.  The grooves have an appealing look to me as well, and the milling is interesting and seems to perform well.  The stock grip is a comfortable Lamkin (not sure which model) and the stock shaft is a Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft.  As a mid to high-handicapper, the specifics of the weighting and other improvements that Cleveland showcases are hard to feel for me.  All I know is, whatever Cleveland did is working out for me!  I believe that Cleveland offers full customization of these wedges from their website, all the way down to paintfills. 

This is my first product review probably ever, so if there is anything I can do to improve it, if I'm breaking any forum rules, or I'm missing something, please let me know, and if you have any questions about the wedges, I'll try my best to answer them!  Thanks for reading!

Driver: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 9.5º

3W: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 14.5º

Hybrid: Callaway XR Steelhead 19º

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT, Standard lofts and lie

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50º, 54º, 58º, Tour Raw finish

Putter: Scotty Cameron Cameron & Crown Newport Mallet 1

Ball: Bridgestone B330 RXS or Titleist ProV1 or Vice Pro

You're speaking my language!!! Bought my RTX 3.0's back in February and am in LOVE with them

My wedge play is now a strength of my game and I attribute this to my wedges! (Damn shame my driver screws up my round!!!)

I did put Winn Dri Tac wrap grips on mine. My wife is jealous of the love I give to my babies. I'm forever sold on Clevelands.

Good review, buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Nice review and I am jealous, very jealous - not of your wedges but that you shoot mid-80s after playing only ONE year??!!??

Well good on ya and keep up the good work!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for the review. I love my RTX 3 wedges as well. Have had 54/58 in the bag for a month or so and a 48 just got delivered today. These are very solid wedges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Nice review and I am jealous, very jealous - not of your wedges but that you shoot mid-80s after playing only ONE year??!!??

Well good on ya and keep up the good work!

I'm lucky enough to get help from our local pro, and have been blessed with a little bit of athleticism. My goal is to break 80 by the end of August. It's a lofty one, but I've got the time and the resources to give it a shot!

Driver: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

3W: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

Hybrid: Adams Pro 18°, Aldila Rogue Black

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2, DG AMT S300

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50°, 54°, 58°

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach 6, 33 inch

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT, Standard lofts and lie

• 3 weeks later...

Great review keep us updated how you're getting on with them.

So I've been meaning to post this since I first saw these wedges. When I first saw the v sole I was reminded of my old Ping eye 2 plus wedges (except slightly less curved). Now what really got me excited was I loved those wedges. I only had the pw and sw no lob, but from any distance inside full pw length I was going to be pretty close to the pin and also the sw was absolutely amazing out of any type of sand.

So my question is does anyone have any experience of both wedges and how they compare, and a second question is if you were to bend the pw to 50* how would that affect the performance i.e.bounce angle and turf interaction.

I've been considering these or the Mack daddy 3's. Any thoughts on pro's or con's on ether of these wedges?

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering these or the Mack daddy 3's. Any thoughts on pro's or con's on ether of these wedges?

My biggest problem with the Mack Daddies is the look.  I don't like the color or the way they look at address.  This is obviously very subjective!  I haven't ever hit the Mack Daddies, but they've been popular, it seems.  I'm still loving these wedges a month and 20+ rounds later.  The finish is starting to age very nicely and I'm confident swinging all three of them.

my buddy Newballcoach has the Mack Daddies and I've hit them and they seem to be pretty awesome. basically point and shoot, very high ball flight and decent spin. I haven't tried these ones yet as I believe the only way to test wedges is out at the driving range. You'll never find the right one for you if you try them on an artificial hitting surface.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Nice review. I just replaced one of my wedges but will be replacing my lob wedge soon, will have to give these a look.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Archived