Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Long Putters Today

Texian

I know this one has been hacked and re-hacked, but another blow might not be a bad idea.

I'm a long putter fan. It started maybe 10 years ago when I three-putted seven times during the finals of a club championship match. Undeniable case of the "yips."

This is not a review of a single long putter, because I've got about five of them and the first one I bought, for $9.99, is in a friend's bag and I'll probably never get it back. But I think we need to keep reminding people, even a few in high places, that the long putter is not dead. Sort of  like Bernhard Langer, who might have given up and died a couple of times but didn't, thanks to his long putter.

This was prompted by comments last week during the U. S. Open. First, by Paul Azinger, one of my favorite commentators when he makes one of his rare appearances, who referred straight out that the long putter had been "outlawed." Someone else, I think maybe Curtis Strange but I'm not sure, also said the long putter had been "outlawed." 

I know these guys have lots to talk about on air, and maybe that's the way they refer to long putters in private conversations, but they need to be careful and let people know that it's the anchored stroke that has been outlawed, not the putter.

If not, they're doing a disservice to people like me, and Bernhard, who have been and could be helped to enjoy the game more. I could go on about how to most effectively use the long putter (in my opinion), but this is probably too long already. 

So, that makes me feel better. Golfers, don't throw away those old long putters. Manufacturers, keep making them, and make them even better. 

I am really confused by the rule. The way I understand it, it has to do with anchoring, correct? What does anchoring mean exactly? What about belly putters? I have often wondered if a long putter or belly putter would help with my putting but my confusion over the new rule has forced me to stay clear of either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I am really confused by the rule. The way I understand it, it has to do with anchoring, correct? What does anchoring mean exactly? What about belly putters? I have often wondered if a long putter or belly putter would help with my putting but my confusion over the new rule has forced me to stay clear of either of them.

It is about anchoring and yes there is lots of confusion. Length of the putter is irrelevant and it is more about how you hold the putter. I have seen some charts that show the various legal and not legal ways to hold the putter. Just do a google image search for anchored putting rule

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It is about anchoring and yes there is lots of confusion. Length of the putter is irrelevant and it is more about how you hold the putter. I have seen some charts that show the various legal and not legal ways to hold the putter. Just do a google image search for anchored putting rule

I found it USGA website does anyone here use long putter?

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Basically you can't rest the grip end of the putter against your belly or chest. I started using a 43-inch and never anchored, but just held it out from my chest a half inch or so to keep my body movement from affecting the stroke. From there it's just a one-handed pendulum. That's why I think it's effective. You don't have to coordinate two hands. The USGA put out some graphics that show it pretty well, although I'm still ticked at them for coming up with an answer for which there is no question. Who cares if it's anchored or not. Somebody just didn't like the way it looked. 

Basically you can't rest the grip end of the putter against your belly or chest. I started using a 43-inch and never anchored, but just held it out from my chest a half inch or so to keep my body movement from affecting the stroke. From there it's just a one-handed pendulum. That's why I think it's effective. You don't have to coordinate two hands. The USGA put out some graphics that show it pretty well, although I'm still ticked at them for coming up with an answer for which there is no question. Who cares if it's anchored or not. Somebody just didn't like the way it looked. 

With a chest length putter, there is a little more than just keeping the end off your chest.  You cannot press your forearm against your chest as well. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I recently posted this pic in another thread: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20082-magic-wands/?p=301575

But these are two "long putter" options that pass the anchor ban test. Mallet on the left is an SSP (Side Saddle Putter) and the broomstick on the right is an arm lock setup.

IMG_2079.JPG

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

... Also, when anchoring putters were still on tour, most that anchored weren't that good of a putter

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ernie Els won the 2012 British Open, and a quarter of the field used long putters. He was the third golfer in 12 months to win a major with a long putter.  Els was one of seven players who won on the Tour in 2012 using long putters. So the problem NOT that the long putter wasn't effective, but it was TOO effective. The "traditionalists" of the USGA and R&A thought it was ugly and demeaning to "their" game and eventually outvoted those with better sense.

Ernie Els won the 2012 British Open, and a quarter of the field used long putters. He was the third golfer in 12 months to win a major with a long putter. Els was one of seven players who won on the Tour in 2012 using long putters. So the problem NOT that the long putter wasn't effective, but it was TOO effective. The "traditionalists" of the USGA and R&A thought it was ugly and demeaning to "their" game and eventually outvoted those with better sense.

In 2012, only 3 golfers who anchored were it the top 50 of strokes gained putting

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The thing that really got the USGA and R&A was when that Asian kid won and got a spot in the Masters as a amateur. I recall during the telecast it was mentioned that they weren't thrilled that the up n coming golfers were using long or belly putters instead of traditional putters. That in my opinion was the thing that started the whole anchor ban. They (USGA and R&A) DIDN'T like the look. It also didn't help that two or three majors had been won by long putters.

Iron specs: Adams a12os regular (needing senior) 4-sw.

Driver specs: Adams super s adjustable regular (SAA).

Handedness: Right

Handicap: 16

Wise County, Va.

One of our seniors still putts with a two ball belly putter.  He's 77 years old and just glad to be able to come out a couple times per week.  He's usually a decent putter however today he was awful and he was bitching like a robin in a worm pulling contest.  :blink: 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I played around with a long putter a few times, I never could get the hang of it.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

With a chest length putter, there is a little more than just keeping the end off your chest. You cannot press your forearm against your chest as well.

Bernhard Langer sure seems to toe that line awfully close. To me it looks like he rests his forearm.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

That's why this is such a dumb ruling. The rule says it has to be intentional. Only the golfer making the stroke knows. If you ask it might sound like a politician in a Congressional hearing. "Senator, to the best of my recollection, and I was so focused on line and distance, that I don't recall. But if I did, I certainly didn't intend to." That said, I don't think Bernhard does, but if he did how would you know unless you made him take his shirt off when he putts? Oh wait. Forget I wrote that. The USGA and R&A apparently have too many folks with not enough to do but come up with stupid rulings. That could be next.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived