TESTERS WANTED! ×

Scratch 8620 (cast) wedge line ... what do you think?

Moecat

I highly recommend this model for both quality and value. At $99, it should give Vokey a serious run for the money, in my strictly personal opinion.

The one I have is the sweeper/slider model with RPD grind. Check out the grooves, too! :P

rpd 001.jpg

rpd 002.jpg

Wow that thing is beautiful! Do the different type of grinds really work for you?

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

Wow that thing is beautiful! Do the different type of grinds really work for you?

Good question!

Knowing my swing type, I know that this particular wedge works for me. Therefore, it may not work for you, and the bounce (6 degrees) may be too little for those who have steeper swings. I apologize that I can't provide a more specific answer, but I think I would be wrong to do so.

And to further boggle your mind, check out this article: http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+equipment/5-2630-Sole_Grinds_on_Wedges.html

Because EIDOLON's makes a big deal out of our patented V-SOLE (and it warrants the attention), we get lots of questions on the subject, and it has been no different here. So I thought I would choose one of those readers at random and address the topic in some detail today. So, the lucky WedgeGuy reader who will be getting a FREE EIDOLON V-SOLE wedge is Agustin Rodriguez of Guadalajara, Mexico. He asked specifically:

“Can you explain the difference between the Cleveland Dynamic Sole Grind (DSG) and Eidolon's patented V-Sole?

Well, Agustin, let me start by addressing the basics. Essentially, you'll see wedges on the racks in the stores that fall into three basic categories – low, high and “tour” bounce.

The industry says that you should select a low bounce wedge for tight lies and firm turf, or if you have a shallow angle of attack. They say you should opt for a high bounce wedge for sand, soft turf or if you have a steep angle of attack.

So let's dissect that first.

Every golf course I've ever played had both firm and soft turf, sand and bunkers, and changed from day to day depending on whether it rained or not. Guys, I just can't make sense out of that advice from the major brands. Don't those guys play golf????

Secondly, if you are going to have any kind of short game at all, you have to change your angle of attack from shot to shot. A low pitch with minimal spin requires a shallow clubhead path. A high soft lob requires a steep path.

And then there's the “tour grind”. I've always said there are three tests as to whether you are ready for that:

1. Does your course superintendent go out and water your bunkers every morning so they will be nice and firm? (The tour does.)

2. Do they keep your fairways clipped to 3/16”, so you always get a nice tight lie?

3. And would you challenge Tiger or Phil to a $100-a-shot up and down contest?

Guys, please trust me on this. “Tour grind” wedges are made specifically for the skill set that only belongs to the top handful of golfers in the world; who practice more in a week than you will in a year or lifetime; and who play on the most carefully-manicured courses imaginable. You don't need a tour bounce wedge any more than you need Danica Patrick's Indy car!

Then there are those “other” sole designs.

The Cleveland DSG features a very aggressive bounce on a very narrow sole. The back portion has a severe upward angle (negative bounce) so doesn't make contact with the turf at all. Ping had this very design in the 1980s and discontinued it.

The Solus wedge has a channel in the sole which really doesn't change the performance that much from our testing.

There are many wedges with “knocked off” heel and toe areas, but you're approaching that “tour bounce” thing I discussed. That is designed to reduce bounce when you lay the face open – the whole reason to lay the face open is to increase your effective bounce!

So, you have lots of choices, and we think EIDOLON beats them all. But maybe you want to try them to see for yourself. That's why we offer the industry's boldest guarantee – if you don't like the EIDOLON, send it back and we'll buy you any other wedge you think you'd like better!

Those other guys won't do that!

Good question!

Knowing my swing type, I know that this particular wedge works for me. Therefore, it may not work for you, and the bounce (6 degrees) may be too little for those who have steeper swings. I apologize that I can't provide a more specific answer, but I think I would be wrong to do so.

Ah yes!!! the importance of fitting.

The great thing about Scratch is that it's so easy to get in contact with someone there! The CEO even answers emails. I think a conversation with one of their experts will be beneficial for me, I really wanna drink the Scratch kool-aid

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

I highly recommend this model for both quality and value. At $99, it should give Vokey a serious run for the money, in my strictly personal opinion.

The one I have is the sweeper/slider model with RPD grind. Check out the grooves, too! :blink:

It is the same one that I have. I like it, but I like my ping eye2 becus more ;)

Looks sharp. How are these compared to Mizuno MPT-10?

I have not tried the MPT-10. But I do think the Scratch 8620 compares favorably to the Vokey Spin Milled (pre-2010 groove changes) ... with considerably less ball shredding!

I have been a fan of Scratch wedges for years now, but have yet to bag one yet. Looking at the pics of the wedge above got me to drooling and makes me consider them over the Vokeys I have been thinking about.

I just saw a post from Ari on this board. The fact that he takes time to come on these boards and answer questions or gives insight is pretty dang cool.

This is just from my 1018 Forged experience (I am a lefty and the 8620 is not out yet for lefties) For those that haven't baged a Scratch wedge, DO IT! I have played the Cleveland 588 and CG14 as well as Vokey and TM TP. They have a fitting tool online for your grind. I talked to Jon at Scratch and he sent me a couple wedges to try out. Once I figured out which one I liked, I sent the others back and sent him payment. Best customer service I have dealt with in some time. The feel is the most consistent out of those wedges as is the durability. I practice, on average, 6 hours/week and I always use my 53* in those sessions. Had it for about a year and still hasn't lost any spin. I use to go through CG14s every 8-10 months. Classic shape, similar to a Vokey or 588.

If you live in the Tennessee area, heck, go see their shop. I hear from my friends that its a pretty cool operation.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I have not tried the MPT-10. But I do think the Scratch 8620 compares favorably to the Vokey Spin Milled (pre-2010 groove changes) ... with considerably less ball shredding!

"With considerably less ball shredding"... If the beautiful looks of this wedge didn't get me this comment sure does.. I don't have difficulty spinning a ball and honestly go with used wedges since new one's spin and shread too much. Good cheap way to buy.. :)

KWheels 

I have played almost every wedge you can think of...and some you can't, and my experience with Scratch wedges has been at the very top of the list! Don't hesitate....be like Tiger and just do it :)

Archived