TESTERS WANTED! ×

Range Trolls

Rusty1885

I went to hit some balls at the muni near my work this morning. I took 4 clubs with me in the mini bag. I was working on impact trying to get the proper shaft lean on my wedges. I lined up 5 balls and started on the line. It was a 9 o'clock swing on my Aw so I'm looking at 85-90 yards carry.

I was at the far end of the range away from the crowd. I got 2 jumbo buckets because I'm working on muscle memory and repetition I know I'll be hitting 'em fast.

There's an older guy who came and settled next to mine with a small bucket, no big deal. We had our pleasant greeting and I was back to my work. About 10 mins into it he stopped and just watch me. I was doing really well at this point my balls flew Med trajectory just like I wanted and it landed right over the 75 marker one on top of another.

Then he said, may I make a suggestion? I looked up. He then followed by, you should take full swing and hit it harder. Your head should move back a little bit on the back swing and weaken the grip. Hmmm! I politely said I'm working on something very specific thanks for the suggestion. He took it as an invitation to come over and proceeded to try to fix my grip. I said my grip is fine and please I just wanna to be left alone.

He went back to the stall and mumbled something, every now and then he'd stopped and look at me and said you should weaken your grip. I saw that by this time he had only a few balls left to hit so I just waited out. Soon he was done and gone.

But wait there's more, the saga continued.

The next guy showed up with his buddy sharing a stall, he apparently teaching his newbie buddy. They were kinda loud but I blocked it out. Soon the guy turned to me and said you should have wider stance and wider swing, the shaft should point at my chin at address, take the club more inside and finish high.

What?, I said I'm working on something specific, thanks. I could here him telling his friend about how I could never be a good golfer because of the flaw I have in my swing. I turn and ask what do you shoot, how is your short game? He said he's a good player with a plus 10 handicap and his short game is excellent.

I pulled out my laser and point at the 100 marker, I said 105. Hit it. He topped the first, skilled the second, pulled the third. I put 2 shots next to the pin and said thank you. We didn't speak again. WTF.

If only there was video to go with that. 😎

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Some people, I swear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I find it funny how much people feel that there's a perfect/ideal swing, and feel the need to tell others how to play UNSOLICITED. If the ball goes where you want it and how you want it, who the Eff cares how it got there. 

Well done. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I know what you're dealing with. I hate it when people give advice without you asking for it. Especially when you could beat the person giving the advice. If it was the club pro or someone with exceptional talent I would listen, but they would never just start giving advice without asking if you wanted it.(at least the guys at my club wouldn't)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

My mental visual I got while reading that story was Peter Griffin giving lifting heavy stuff advice "OK now be sure to use your lower back since that's where all your strength is. Right in a jerking twisting motion and don't use your legs."

Gotta love those range pros with the gift of advice to give.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Of the encountered or how I shot?

I'm sure your abilities go without saying, I'd be more inclined to put their actions to music. Radiohead-creap.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I'm sure your abilities go without saying, I'd be more inclined to put their actions to music. Radiohead-creap.

Oh! Yeah that would have been pretty awesome. Yet there are times I practice with my es14 and swingbyte with the tripod for the iPad no one dare approach me. For sure I'd have recorded the whole thing for personal consumption later along with a few youtubers. ;)

From what I can see, you need to work on weight transfer, wrist hinge, and perhaps could benefit from changing to left handed.

Once you've got these nailed down, come back and I'll give you some more unsolicited and unwanted advice. You really should listen, because I play off +12 at the range.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

It sounds like that the dude who said he was a +10 handicap has been sucking down a mason jar of stump liquor.  He probably doesn't even know what a plus handicapper is.  Maybe there needs a sign put up at the range that prohibits amateur instructors from letting their mouths outrun their brains. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It sounds like that the dude who said he was a +10 handicap has been sucking down a mason jar of stump liquor. He probably doesn't even know what a plus handicapper is. Maybe there needs a sign put up at the range that prohibits amateur instructors from letting their mouths outrun their brains.

Right?!? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most top Tour Pros are in the +6 +7 range, no? "Plus Ten" #OMG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Right?!? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most top Tour Pros are in the +6 +7 range, no? "Plus Ten" #OMG

Yea that "+10" range rat would have to give Spieth two a side.  :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I think good golfer should have a bit of swagger or cockiness in their game, a little bragging here and there is ok too. It's part of the game you've worked so hard to build. Unless you know what you're doing, humbleness usually kills your game when doubt creeps in.

You don't have to be a show off to feel cocky about your game. Most golfers are polite and respectful and these trolls took advantage of it. Next time I come across one I'd turn it right around.

I've only had some one offer me advice on the range once. I was warming up with my driver and I had hit 3 rightward slices since I was working on hitting a fade. I had the guy in the stall next to me turn to me and tell me to slow down and that I'm swinging too fast. I just tell him thanks and keep going about my day. He stops and tells me the same thing again not 10 minutes later even after several well hit balls and I told him the reason it looks like I'm seeing so fast is because I am. I told him my swing speed is 110 compared to his 75 so he should keep that in mind before offering advice.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think good golfer should have a bit of swagger or cockiness in their game, a little bragging here and there is ok too. It's part of the game you've worked so hard to build. Unless you know what you're doing, humbleness usually kills your game when doubt creeps in.

You don't have to be a show off to feel cocky about your game. Most golfers are polite and respectful and these trolls took advantage of it. Next time I come across one I'd turn it right around.

I don't think I've ever seen any of the scratch golfers at my course give advice in any practice area

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I know. I couldn't even keep a straight face. I remember a fish hook in my eyebrow, lol.

Did you ask him why he wasn't on Tour with that handicap? I remember reading that Golf Digest estimated Tiger's handicap from when he was in is prime at +7!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I've been hitting nothing but wedges all morning, and on most shots stopped and appreciate the sound at impact. If he'd pay attention he'd known. Especially if he's a plus 10, he'd give me more credit than that right?

Sh!t if he's a +10, He should be on tour.. And not at the driving range of a local Muni.. Just saying.. Much kudos to you i Have very little patience for those kind of people.. 

I usually try to ignore them..  OR start talking to myself and cursing a little they usually leave me alone or move.. and I'm laughing inside.. LOL... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.