TESTERS WANTED! ×

Range Trolls

Rusty1885

I was at the range hitting some balls and next to me was a guy apparently trying to teach his buddy the golf swing.  Since I am a lefty, we were facing each other.   It became obvious to me that the supposed instructor had no business trying to teach anyone and his buddy was really struggling and getting frustrated.   The student buddy looked at me and asked if I had any tips or advice for him, to which I relied, I sure do.   I told him --never listen to or seek advice from an amateur like myself.   Go to the end of the range and you will see a garage looking building.   In there is a PGA teaching professional that can help you, his name is Mark.   His buddy gave me a rather unpleasant look.

This is hilarious. I see unsolicited advice offered at the range all the time and most of it is terrible. It takes all my will power to shut up when I hear people try to tell a guy how to fix his swing. I just want to turn around and remind them that they offer lessons at the course if you really want to improve. I don't even like it when I'm having a great day at the range and someone asks me for help. Even if I can pick out all his swing faults, I'm not a teaching pro and have no idea what the best way for them to fix it is. I'd probably do more harm than good. If they'd been out there the day before watching me hit balls off the planet, there's no way they would have asked me for advice in the first place.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I've started wearing my bluetooth earbuds at the range.... but...shhhh.... sometimes their not even on.  :lol:

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I was at the range on Father's day.... it was a local place that isn't on a course and you hit off of mats.  The mats are fairly close to each other with those plastic dividers you can put a bucket on.

Of course Father's Day is when dad takes the kids to the range to hit some balls.  A dad and 2 boys show up.  There are 4 spots (A/B/C/D).... I'm in spot C.  Dad jumps in spot B, older kid who dad seems to like and is interested in golf is in spot A.  Younger (16?) kid is in spot D.  

Grabs one of dads "clubs".... I kid you not... a persimmon 3 wood.... 

kid walks RIGHT behind me to get a few balls from dad's bucket; I had an idea he was going to do it so I stop and wait...would've cracked him in the head on my backswing had I not waited.

Tees it up on a 2 3/4" tee and rares back to knock the crap outta the ball.... of course he sways way, way back ... and ::::BOOM:::: nails the side of the plastic divider.

Repeats this for about 20 balls and then goes to sit on the chair and scan through his phone while dad+kid dad likes hit the rest of the balls...

I was **this close** to suggesting he get a shorter tee (didn't know if he realized you can replace the rubber tees) but then I realized that I'd be that guy at the range.  Plus the fact the kid didn't really give a --crap-- and was just there because it was "dad's day"....

I see some funny, funny stuff at this range...  there could be a book - "Tales from the range"....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Man, sorry to hear that! I go out of my way NOT to offer advice on the range or course! I play ok and I sometimes get the sense that guys I play with are trying to get me to offer them advice but I never do out of fear that I will misinterpret what they want and look like a total jackass!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Ace, perhaps a better title for your book would be "Tails on the Range".

HAHA!  I'm telling you...it'd be a best seller !!

:D 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

This makes me think of something that happened to me recently.  I was playing in my work league last month when one of our group members was really struggling.  I learned from his teammate that this was only his second time ever golfing.  Because our league is comprised mainly of retirees, there is an open door policy i.e. no one is turned away from joining the league.  He shot 147 for 18 holes.  When we were done and inside the clubhouse having a drink he was being pretty hard on himself so I said "you can work on keeping your base more stable, you were swaying all over the place out there and that's one reason why you struggle to hit the ball consistently" to he replied "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME WHILE WE WERE OUT THERE?!".  At this point I started to grin because I realized I was about to have my first "dad" moment with a new golfer.  I told him that someday he would understand; that unsolicited advice on the golf course is a huge breach of etiquette, and the above all else there's just some things he needs to figure out on his own or he'll never really improve.

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

The ONLY advice i Offer on the range is to Little Kids, 7,8,9, maybe a little older if THEY ask..  

and it's usually a trick i figured out with my daughter.. I put a penny down in front of the ball and tell them to hit the penny... Works great for kids.. that is the only range advice i give.. and only after I ask dad if it's ok.. 

Kids tend to understand hitting the penny better then taking a divot after the ball.. other then that Nothing.. 

Unless with a buddy then nothing is off-limits.. you swing like my wife, you need to slow down oh wait you need to speed up, slow from the top faster take away.. of yeah it's all fair game when it just Jim and I.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

This makes me think of something that happened to me recently.  I was playing in my work league last month when one of our group members was really struggling.  I learned from his teammate that this was only his second time ever golfing.  Because our league is comprised mainly of retirees, there is an open door policy i.e. no one is turned away from joining the league.  He shot 147 for 18 holes.  When we were done and inside the clubhouse having a drink he was being pretty hard on himself so I said "you can work on keeping your base more stable, you were swaying all over the place out there and that's one reason why you struggle to hit the ball consistently" to he replied "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME WHILE WE WERE OUT THERE?!".  At this point I started to grin because I realized I was about to have my first "dad" moment with a new golfer.  I told him that someday he would understand; that unsolicited advice on the golf course is a huge breach of etiquette, and the above all else there's just some things he needs to figure out on his own or he'll never really improve.

Rule 8-1... http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-08

8-1. Advice

During a stipulated round, a player must not:

a.

give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or

b.

ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I went to hit some balls at the muni near my work this morning. I took 4 clubs with me in the mini bag. I was working on impact trying to get the proper shaft lean on my wedges. I lined up 5 balls and started on the line. It was a 9 o'clock swing on my Aw so I'm looking at 85-90 yards carry.

I was at the far end of the range away from the crowd. I got 2 jumbo buckets because I'm working on muscle memory and repetition I know I'll be hitting 'em fast.

There's an older guy who came and settled next to mine with a small bucket, no big deal. We had our pleasant greeting and I was back to my work. About 10 mins into it he stopped and just watch me. I was doing really well at this point my balls flew Med trajectory just like I wanted and it landed right over the 75 marker one on top of another.

Then he said, may I make a suggestion? I looked up. He then followed by, you should take full swing and hit it harder. Your head should move back a little bit on the back swing and weaken the grip. Hmmm! I politely said I'm working on something very specific thanks for the suggestion. He took it as an invitation to come over and proceeded to try to fix my grip. I said my grip is fine and please I just wanna to be left alone.

He went back to the stall and mumbled something, every now and then he'd stopped and look at me and said you should weaken your grip. I saw that by this time he had only a few balls left to hit so I just waited out. Soon he was done and gone.

But wait there's more, the saga continued.

The next guy showed up with his buddy sharing a stall, he apparently teaching his newbie buddy. They were kinda loud but I blocked it out. Soon the guy turned to me and said you should have wider stance and wider swing, the shaft should point at my chin at address, take the club more inside and finish high.

What?, I said I'm working on something specific, thanks. I could here him telling his friend about how I could never be a good golfer because of the flaw I have in my swing. I turn and ask what do you shoot, how is your short game? He said he's a good player with a plus 10 handicap and his short game is excellent.

I pulled out my laser and point at the 100 marker, I said 105. Hit it. He topped the first, skilled the second, pulled the third. I put 2 shots next to the pin and said thank you. We didn't speak again. WTF.

That's beautiful, just freakin beautiful!

When I can go to the range I go to the far left side. First cause I'm a lefty and second I want to be left alone. If we wanted help we would go to a good teaching Pro.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Nice to hear someone else spends the majority of range time without a driver in their hands.

And you're right, at the range only nice greetings and compliments should be stated, not advice.

I think last month alone I hit wedges about 90% of the range session, that's 4 times a week about 200 balls each. I probably hit 15 drives. As the matter of fact I hit less driver at the range last year than I hit 8i in one session.

My fairway hits is about 11-12 each round. I'm convinced that it's my secret sauce. I'm hungry to hit drivers on the course.

I think there's a percentage of the population that just feels so strongly about their opinions that they just have to share it with everyone with ears. You see a lot of that with politics.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I think there's a percentage of the population that just feels so strongly about their opinions that they just have to share it with everyone with ears. You see a lot of that with politics.

Agree, especially political views which I stay far, far away from.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Agree, especially political views which I stay far, far away from.

Yes, I live by the basic three rules of life:

1.   Never pee into the wind

2.   Never play poker against anyone with a first name the same as a city

3.   Avoid discussing politics and religion as much as possible

Yes, I live by the basic three rules of life:

1. Never pee into the wind

2. Never play poker against anyone with a first name the same as a city

3. Avoid discussing politics and religion as much as possible

4. Never play or bet on a golf game against a new guy whose glove hand has no tan.

Rick

Left Hand, 

That's beautiful, just freakin beautiful!

When I can go to the range I go to the far left side. First cause I'm a lefty and second I want to be left alone. If we wanted help we would go to a good teaching Pro.

Same here, always to the far left side although I'm not a lefty. I want to be left alone.

And the internet!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I was at the range working on some stuff today... smoking my driver so the dude didn't say anything to me, but he was giving the worst advice I've ever heard to his dad or father in law... my gosh... no wonder why people think this game is hard.

+10 handicap is capable of a 10 under round. Elite pros? Maybe.

A lot more than you think. All of the Ryder cuppers past and present, all of the major winners , Solheim cuppers. :)

The guy was just another moron. Even if he misspoke, there's no way he's an 82 shooter. That guy can't break 90 even if god caddie for him.

I was at the range working on some stuff today... smoking my driver so the dude didn't say anything to me, but he was giving the worst advice I've ever heard to his dad or father in law... my gosh... no wonder why people think this game is hard.

A wise man once said,

"U can't fix stupid"!

Rick

Left Hand, 

After you saw him hit a few (I should say shank) you should have told him you would "shoot him 18 holes $1,000."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

attachicon.gifIMG_4149.JPG

Now there's a wise man!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

My gosh... Literally 1 player ever has been a +10 over the course of a season and that was circa 2000 Tiger Woods.. What an idiot.

Love everything about how you got him btw. Would pay for video.

I dont have ppl say much to me on the range thankfully but if they do I think I'd 1. Ask them if they were a pro. 2. If they happen to say they were, I'd tell them that my teacher was the head pro at **insert local club** and that he doesn't like when I get outside instruction.

I did once have a guy from my club lose to me by 10 and try to give me a putting lesson post round. Guy is famous for it. He also never shuts up and takes a zillion practice swings (he's actually a good player tho). Once in our mens game someone started counting practice strokes and got up to 30 on a flop shot..

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

You know I do have 2 of the dash cam in my car, one in the front and another in the back both are easy to detach. I don't know what kind of vid quality it would offer but I might take it to this range the next time. I might get lucky.

Please do!

Hilarious...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT