TESTERS WANTED! ×

Range Trolls

Rusty1885

Never once have I seen or heard random people on the range giving advice that is the least bit worthwhile! One of my best friends used to try to say crap during rounds, unsolicited. Maybe at a place like Sea Island, Lake Nona, etc, where a TON of pros live and practice could one go to the range and get some REAL help!!! Ha! There's probably some Shmo giving advice to pros there too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

ran across this today.... perhaps you should move around a bit at the range?

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/youve-been-practicing-golf-all

I've done this in the past, I have a "driver" section, "irons" section, "wedges" section and move back and forth through a bucket.

Estimating a 2 putt on each hole

3 balls = par 5 (driver/3w; mid iron; wedge)

2 balls = par 4 (3w/long-iron; wedge)

1 ball = par 3 (mid-iron/wedge)

NO REPEATS.... your shot is your shot... if you yank one then you have to "punch out" or use your imagination about what you would do to 'rescue' the hole and do that... could be a sharp draw, fade, low punch, whatever..

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Been there, part of the reason I bring earbuds to the driving range not always listening to music but it does make a difference in how much people talk to me.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Don't know if that's more of a problem in the US, but I've never seen anybody here giving unsolicited advice. Everybody is minding their own business.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

ran across this today.... perhaps you should move around a bit at the range?

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/youve-been-practicing-golf-all

I've done this in the past, I have a "driver" section, "irons" section, "wedges" section and move back and forth through a bucket.

Estimating a 2 putt on each hole

3 balls = par 5 (driver/3w; mid iron; wedge)

2 balls = par 4 (3w/long-iron; wedge)

1 ball = par 3 (mid-iron/wedge)

NO REPEATS.... your shot is your shot... if you yank one then you have to "punch out" or use your imagination about what you would do to 'rescue' the hole and do that... could be a sharp draw, fade, low punch, whatever..

I've started "playing" the first 3 or 4 holes of my course on the range first. Not sure if it really helps or not. Haven't noticed a change in my scores

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Please do!

Hilarious...

What I've encountered so far is that every time I "set up" most trolls shy away. Best I've got is what's that? I set up at the far end and do the 2 cameras Iphone and iPad Pro on tripod with my swingbyte 2, no one dares to me near me like I'm carrying a virus or something.

If I win a lottery instead of going around playing golf every where I think it's going to be more enjoyable & entertaining if I show up at your guys driving ranges and give lessons. iPhones, cameras, earbuds they're not going to stop me because "I AM A TEACHER" ROFLMA. hehehe.

A wise man once said,

"U can't fix stupid"!

Shower thought: Uncle Si is totally that dude that would give unwarranted, terrible advice on the range.

I think that's what he does in almost every episode.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Shower thought: Uncle Si is totally that dude that would give unwarranted, terrible advice on the range.

I think that's what he does in almost every episode.

Yup he does give wrong advise. That's why everyone likes him.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Who does this??? I can't imagine why someone would think that behavior is okay.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think their intentions are good; they want to help. But they can't. Their "advice" may apply to themselves (or other 30 hdcp golfers), but not you.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Been there, part of the reason I bring earbuds to the driving range not always listening to music but it does make a difference in how much people talk to me.

Yep. I was going to reply. Now I see why MDGolfHacker wears earbuds on the range.

Oh hell. Wait a minute. Maybe he's trying to tell me something. LOL

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've never encountered a range troll that I recall. But some of my golf buddies are Course Trolls. As they are well along their way to shooting an 87 and I'm staring down a 75 they seem to think I need some advise. Excuse me please but you worry about your own game pal.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've never encountered a range troll that I recall. But some of my golf buddies are Course Trolls. As they are well along their way to shooting an 87 and I'm staring down a 75 they seem to think I need some advise. Excuse me please but you worry about your own game pal.

At least they're "trying" to help. I've got friends that almost actively root against me to the point that they call me a d* for hitting a nice shot.

Oh yeah... that happens to me also.

Oh yeah... that happens to me also.

I'm not good enough to have that happen 🤷‍♀️

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm not good enough to have that happen 🤷‍♀️

Well, for me, it's like I shoot 85 and my friends who "help" me shoot 95. 😊

I am not that good either...

I love that too. We have a guy we usually try to avoid. We call him "the guru". He'd tell you he knows everything about golf, swing, and rule. We love to mess with him and say the wrong golfer's name like Phil Nicholas, or Rory McIntyre, he'd go nuts.

The most annoying things is he'd tell us how to play the shots, where to aim the putts. He tries the hardest and scores the highest too. If we are playing basketball he'd win.

I love that too. We have a guy we usually try to avoid. We call him "the guru". He'd tell you he knows everything about golf, swing, and rule. We love to mess with him and say the wrong golfer's name like Phil Nicholas, or Rory McIntyre, he'd go nuts.

The most annoying things is he'd tell us how to play the shots, where to aim the putts. He tries the hardest and scores the highest too. If we are playing basketball he'd win.

Yup, we ALL have a guy like that!! Messen with him is best part of the day!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 10 months later...

Welp. It finally happened to me today. I honestly never thought I'd experience this.... but I was on the receiving end of unsolicited advice.

Ended up in another part of town doing something for my wife and hit the range at a semi-private club. Man I was in a groove. I was by myself, had a little speaker playing music only I could hear, and was striping my shots with confidence when, from the putting green 40 yards away........

"Hey buddy! Take this for what it's worth (absolutely nothing at all) but you're moving your head a lot. You should try to stop doing that"

In my head, I was going full American History X on him but outwardly I was polite and thanked him for his (un)helpful comment. FROM 40 YARDS AWAY.

Now I'm rattled.... How long has he been watching me? Is he still watching me? Did he see how well I was hitting it? Omg is he watching me now? Who is this guy anyway? He's definitely not the club pro. Jesus he's still watching me. Do I work extra hard on his comment to make him feel good or just throw a middle finger and do as I please? OK he's done watching. Swing. Shank. #%$&@!!!!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬

The next 10 swings were poor at best. I couldn't fully come back to my happy place until I realized he had left the putting green.

I mean. I understand that it takes a lot to put yourself out there and say something to a complete stranger. Especially offering advice. And he's not wrong that a stable head is a good thing.

But wtf bro.

Definitely would have used a few choice words. Something along the lines of “^*%# You!”

For his help, I assume you mean that he should go and enjoy a self induced sexual experience.   Perhaps, a "Yankee" which is the same thing as a Quicky only you do it alone.  

Wow, sorry to hear about that horrible experience. I have never had this happen to me, which is a miracle considering my swing is so awful. Sounds like you handled it well, even if you wanted to handle it differently.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

This thread is gold.

I absolutely love these people. I know they're obnoxious but their sense of entitlement hits me right at the funny bone.

Laugh it off. They're range rats.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Wow, sorry to hear about that horrible experience. I have never had this happen to me, which is a miracle considering my swing is so awful. Sounds like you handled it well, even if you wanted to handle it differently.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You must be physically intimidating because this kind of thing happens to most guys at some point.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You get this everywhere op.And I ran into trolls with any hobby I took up.Just last month I went fishing and had one a few yards down.Some of these hobby trolls think they are being helpful.And I'm sure most are.But many just come off with a too aggressive approach

Keep it in the short stuff

Welp. It finally happened to me today. I honestly never thought I'd experience this.... but I was on the receiving end of unsolicited advice.

Ended up in another part of town doing something for my wife and hit the range at a semi-private club. Man I was in a groove. I was by myself, had a little speaker playing music only I could hear, and was striping my shots with confidence when, from the putting green 40 yards away........

"Hey buddy! Take this for what it's worth (absolutely nothing at all) but you're moving your head a lot. You should try to stop doing that"

In my head, I was going full American History X on him but outwardly I was polite and thanked him for his (un)helpful comment. FROM 40 YARDS AWAY.

Now I'm rattled.... How long has he been watching me? Is he still watching me? Did he see how well I was hitting it? Omg is he watching me now? Who is this guy anyway? He's definitely not the club pro. Jesus he's still watching me. Do I work extra hard on his comment to make him feel good or just throw a middle finger and do as I please? OK he's done watching. Swing. Shank. #%$&@!!!!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬

The next 10 swings were poor at best. I couldn't fully come back to my happy place until I realized he had left the putting green.

I mean. I understand that it takes a lot to put yourself out there and say something to a complete stranger. Especially offering advice. And he's not wrong that a stable head is a good thing.

But wtf bro.

I was in a really bad mood due to some personal things going on so I thought I'd go hit some balls to get it out of my system.

I get to the range and there is one other guy hitting balls and an instructor giving a lesson at the last stall at the far end.

The other guy and myself are hitting balls minding our own business when the instructor who was now finished with his lesson drives over to the other guy and just starts talking his ear off. Not really giving advice but just explaining how long he has been teaching and blah, blah, blah.

The other guy was getting visibly annoyed, as was I, but this loud mouth instructor didn't even notice.

Finally, I just turned and said "Would you shut the F**k up? You are bothering both of us.". The instructor didn't know what to say to that, looked at me, put his hands up like "sorry" and drove away. The other guy just started laughing and thanked me because I think he was too polite to say anything. I was just so pissed already that day and that jackass really sent me over the edge.

When I was leaving a range employee asked how I hit them and I said fine but was a little annoyed with the instructor that wouldn't shut up. He said, "yeah, that's Gary. He can be a bit much.". He then gave me two range tokens for free so I guess it all worked out.

But range trolls man.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter