Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Range Trolls

Rusty1885

Advice givers are the absolute best. Especially when their game doesn't match their mouth. I really enjoy using the earbuds with nothing playing routine to try and avoid unwanted advice.

I have only really experienced the range troll once and it was when I was much younger and didn't know how to walk away or tell someone to politely SSHH. Made me never return to that range.

The other place that unwanted advice givers seem to gather is the gym. My goodness, the number of “trainers” seems to be at an all time high lately.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Welp. It finally happened to me today. I honestly never thought I'd experience this.... but I was on the receiving end of unsolicited advice.

Ended up in another part of town doing something for my wife and hit the range at a semi-private club. Man I was in a groove. I was by myself, had a little speaker playing music only I could hear, and was striping my shots with confidence when, from the putting green 40 yards away........

"Hey buddy! Take this for what it's worth (absolutely nothing at all) but you're moving your head a lot. You should try to stop doing that"

In my head, I was going full American History X on him but outwardly I was polite and thanked him for his (un)helpful comment. FROM 40 YARDS AWAY.

Now I'm rattled.... How long has he been watching me? Is he still watching me? Did he see how well I was hitting it? Omg is he watching me now? Who is this guy anyway? He's definitely not the club pro. Jesus he's still watching me. Do I work extra hard on his comment to make him feel good or just throw a middle finger and do as I please? OK he's done watching. Swing. Shank. #%$&@!!!!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬

The next 10 swings were poor at best. I couldn't fully come back to my happy place until I realized he had left the putting green.

I mean. I understand that it takes a lot to put yourself out there and say something to a complete stranger. Especially offering advice. And he's not wrong that a stable head is a good thing.

But wtf bro.

Oh Man! From 40 yards away!!

Which course was this?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

...well, I know it's difficult, but one could always try to flip it around and use it as a "mental distraction" to overcome.  Like if you're on a course and someone in your group is chirping or you hit a bad shot and another group on the other fairway starts railing on you.  How would you overcome that so it doesn't affect your swing, your shot, your execution?

Can you imagine what it must be like to be a tour player with hundreds of "range rats" around you at all times yelling god knows what?  Hard to blame JT for kicking a guy out who was rooting for him to hit in the bunker.

It certainly is a mental game...and perhaps there's an opportunity here to turn a negative into a positive?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I'm firmly in the earbuds camp, and when I'm offered advice I simply say “thanks but I'm working on some stuff with my instructor. Just trying to stick with that, thanks”.

The one time a guy wouldn't shut up I asked him to demonstrate what he wanted me to do. He did so and hit a slice so bad it cleared the netting. I said “no I don't think I'll do that” and laughed so hard he stomped away.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It really amazes me that total strangers would give unsolicited advice to someone on a range.   I would never think of doing that, no matter how bad someone was struggling.    I think once several years ago,  I had somone in the bay next to me, say something about my grip, I just kinda shrugged and said OK.   

I have to laugh reading some of these. ...

1) Because I've been guilty of playing Ranger Rick from time to time (range troll seems kinda rough), but try to avoid doing so unless someone's an obvious newb that hasn't hit a decent shot during their session.

2) But while I do try and not do it, I really had to bite my tongue last week when a guy went full Tin Cup Shanks on the range and hit one between my legs from 5 stalls up-range. And instead of moving forward so his bag would take all the damage, moving back another three feet from the ropes and continued to skank shots wildly to the right of the range, including one that clanged off the rack holding his clubs. ... Not having brought my helmet or bullet proof vest, I walked to the back of the range and took a seat on the bench until he was done. :ph34r:

There is only one appropriate response to that...and it is.  "Who hit that shot"   or "maybe you should hit your putter, you can't shank that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5CkmKGQDb0

"My God! My swing feels like an unfolded lawn chair!"

Yes...yes mine does...dammit!

Indeed a classic!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I've been lucky to not run into many of these, thank goodness. I'm a regular at two ranges and I've seen most folks that show-up, so I don't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just drop a ball on the deck, grab the driver and smash one. No one will say a dang thing to you anymore.

The way some of the guys on the league at this place talk makes me wonder.

The new driver has a command presence noise it makes too, an almost deafening sound, hard not to notice.

All jokes aside here. I've ran into a few guys that I could have fixed with a minor set up issue and had them playing good. I really want to say something, but I figured if they wanted my help they'd ask. Like the guy I asked you all about last year on the chipping green with is super weak left hand and his extra strong right hand.

• 3 months later...

Can i give you some advice?
No you can't.
Don't you know it's rude to offer unsolicited advice.
Also, I'm taking lessons and I know what to work on.
You've seen me play for 9 holes only so what makes you think you know what my fault is? What you saw was an abnormal swing mechanic that reared it's ugly head while you happened to be looking at me. And by the way,I am concentrating on correcting a fault and during this concentration while I'm swinging the club,there is bound to be some other gremlin that crawls in and screws everything up.
So don't offer me unsolicited advice.

Guy behind me comes up to me on the 9th tee and asks this question?
"No thanks" is what i simply said.
I did not say the above,but I'm thinking it. Am I wrong in this thought?

How would you have handled this?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

No and get off my range mat!!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Just say no thanks and move on.

Only offer advice if they ask or say: you should talk to a pro.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I would have simply said "I'm good, thank you" and then let it go.  No need to make more out of it than it is.

that's all i did. but i was thinking what i wrote

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

No, thank you. 

Perfectly reasonable response to that question.  Good job not unloading a piece of your mind on that person.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I went to hit some balls at the muni near my work this morning. I took 4 clubs with me in the mini bag. I was working on impact trying to get the proper shaft lean on my wedges. I lined up 5 balls and started on the line. It was a 9 o'clock swing on my Aw so I'm looking at 85-90 yards carry.

I was at the far end of the range away from the crowd. I got 2 jumbo buckets because I'm working on muscle memory and repetition I know I'll be hitting 'em fast.

There's an older guy who came and settled next to mine with a small bucket, no big deal. We had our pleasant greeting and I was back to my work. About 10 mins into it he stopped and just watch me. I was doing really well at this point my balls flew Med trajectory just like I wanted and it landed right over the 75 marker one on top of another.

Then he said, may I make a suggestion? I looked up. He then followed by, you should take full swing and hit it harder. Your head should move back a little bit on the back swing and weaken the grip. Hmmm! I politely said I'm working on something very specific thanks for the suggestion. He took it as an invitation to come over and proceeded to try to fix my grip. I said my grip is fine and please I just wanna to be left alone.

He went back to the stall and mumbled something, every now and then he'd stopped and look at me and said you should weaken your grip. I saw that by this time he had only a few balls left to hit so I just waited out. Soon he was done and gone.

But wait there's more, the saga continued.

The next guy showed up with his buddy sharing a stall, he apparently teaching his newbie buddy. They were kinda loud but I blocked it out. Soon the guy turned to me and said you should have wider stance and wider swing, the shaft should point at my chin at address, take the club more inside and finish high.

What?, I said I'm working on something specific, thanks. I could here him telling his friend about how I could never be a good golfer because of the flaw I have in my swing. I turn and ask what do you shoot, how is your short game? He said he's a good player with a plus 10 handicap and his short game is excellent.

I pulled out my laser and point at the 100 marker, I said 105. Hit it. He topped the first, skilled the second, pulled the third. I put 2 shots next to the pin and said thank you. We didn't speak again. WTF.

Good for you.

Dexterity:

I'm gonna drive this thread in a slightly different direction, just to have some fun with it (well, you can be the judge of this I suppose).

In my Tuesday night league, we all show up around 4:45 and head to the range to warm up before our 5:30 pm shotgun start. I'll spend half of that time shooting the breeze with anyone and everyone on the range, and on the putting green mostly because, well, I know all 30-40 guys that are warming up. A lot of it is the usual "hey, how's it going this week," sort of small talk, etc.

Now I will say that this particular range is at one of the nicer private clubs here in town, and the driving range is just to the left of the first hole, and runs parallel to it, and is separated from the first hole by a large row of pine trees and live oaks. There are enough trees in that area to keep wayward shots from getting from the range to the first fairway, and vice versa. But what happens a lot of times is that the guys on the right side of the range, which is closer to the tree line of the first hole, will often times slice balls into the trees, and we seldom go through a warm up on any particular week without someone making solid contact with a pine tree. And the sound travels loud enough for all to hear. Now, because I know everyone, and we are all good friends, most everyone gives as good as they get, at least as far as trash talk goes, so this definitely doesn't count as advice, but more along the lines of good spirited banter and trash talk. And honestly, I don't even know that you can call it trash talk, because no one in this group is even mildly concerned with winning their club championship, or sniffing any sort of serious tournament victory. We're all out here to relive stress and enjoy an evening away from the wives and the real world, where we can decompress and have a few laughs on a Tuesday evening. But I'll be striping shots down range when I hear someone hit a tree with a shank or whatever and I'll lob a comment to them along the lines of, "Hey Mike, is that you trying to take out the trees? Aren't you supposed to wait until the 6th hole to see how those trees affect your tee shot?"

And half the time I get a reply along the lines of, "yeah, well, I'm starting early today." or something like that. But to a man, every guy in my group would just laugh at those type of comments. Heck, we'll be on the putting green and I'll see someone drop 3 or 4 straight putts and say to him, "Geez Dan, you're wasting all of your putts. Now you won't make a single one out on the course." And again, the reply is always something like, "Yeah, I need to quit now and save the rest."

Just light hearted simple banter amongst friends. I also receive as good as I dish out as well. I'll be plugging away with my warm up, and if you see me hit enough shots you'll discover that I like to dig trenches with my divots. Some of the guys will come over and say something like, "Geez Phil, do you want me to go get the backhoe to help you out?" I just laugh and reply, "Nah, I'm pacing myself."

And beyond the simple one-liners that may or may not even be funny, I'll finish warming up and then walk up and down the range and just say hi to a number of the guys and just comment on the good shots and when they hit one right at a target nicely. Just some simply encouragement for their games. But again, these are all friends and we know each other, and honestly I see everyone's unique swings and crazy motions and wouldn't even begin to try and offer them any advice. I figure it would take a lot more than what I would have a clue to help them with anyway. I'm really there to have fun, and to enjoy the company of friends. We aren't out there to set the world on fire on the golf course. That's why we play a scramble. So that if you are having a bad day on the course, you'll have three other guys with you to bail you out. I remember one day when I was really off. I mean, I didn't hit one fairway, or one green. But one of the guys in my group was lighting it up and hitting every fairway and every green. By the 7th or 8th hole of our 9 hole scramble I just said to him, "is your back hurting yet from carrying us all day?"

Beyond those Tuesday evening experiences, I've never ever had anyone come up to me and offer me unsolicited advice, especially from a stranger. And I would never say anything beyond generic pleasantries to another stranger on the range. And I don't recall ever being asked for advice either, so as in almost any other area of life, unless someone asks me for advice, I doubt I'll offer it.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

New reality tv show.... Range Confessions!

Now I have visions of David Feherty walking up and down a range, talking to various individuals, and pulling one aside who was giving advice and obviously not the greatest golfer and asking him something along the lines of, "Well Mike, I see you interacting with Bud over there.  How do the two of you know each other, and why did you feel the need to act like a gynormous boob?"

I had a weird one a few weeks ago.

In my stall just mindlessly running up and down my bag, and some youngster (prob 25-30) sets up right behind me.

without a word he starts matching me shot for shot, for like 30 balls. But just a little crisper and longer. He was pretty good. Finally I stop and turn to look at him.

He says "nice swing sir"

Sir?.... I may be 62, but does that make me a Sir?

thats what I used to call old people before I became one.

So now Im confused because he says nice swing, but then calls me sir...

I hate getting old...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

In my stall just mindlessly running up and down my bag, and some youngster (prob 25-30) sets up right behind me.

without a word he starts matching me shot for shot, for like 30 balls. But just a little crisper and longer. He was pretty good. Finally I stop and turn to look at him.

He says "nice swing sir"

I hate getting old...

I've had people calling me "sir" since around the time I turned 40.  So yes, 62 is well beyond the accepted entry date for being labeled a "sir", sir.   :D

I've had people calling me "sir" since around the time I turned 40. So yes, 62 is well beyond the accepted entry date for being labeled a "sir", sir. :D

Sounds like a gentleman to me.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

He says "nice swing sir"

I hate getting old...

I work at a university.... as soon as I started to get some (any) gray in my hair the "sir" started.... and I was right around 40.  hit me right in the solar plexus. 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

He says "nice swing sir"

I hate getting old...

Hate to tell you this but your still a youngster

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

He says "nice swing sir"

I hate getting old...

He's trying to be friendly and respectful.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

He says "nice swing sir"

I hate getting old...

Just being respectful and kind.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock