Rusty1885

Range Trolls

Our Sponsors

People always find me and have advice to give. I must have one of those "please talk my ear off" faces

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

It sounds like that the dude who said he was a +10 handicap has been sucking down a mason jar of stump liquor.  He probably doesn't even know what a plus handicapper is.  Maybe there needs a sign put up at the range that prohibits amateur instructors from letting their mouths outrun their brains. 

• Like 6

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56  
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

It sounds like that the dude who said he was a +10 handicap has been sucking down a mason jar of stump liquor. He probably doesn't even know what a plus handicapper is. Maybe there needs a sign put up at the range that prohibits amateur instructors from letting their mouths outrun their brains.

Right?!? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most top Tour Pros are in the +6 +7 range, no? "Plus Ten" #OMG

• Like 4

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Driver Graphite Design AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - AW)  KBS Tour 130x

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

Right?!? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most top Tour Pros are in the +6 +7 range, no? "Plus Ten" #OMG

Yea that "+10" range rat would have to give Spieth two a side.  :D 

• Like 4

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56  
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

I think good golfer should have a bit of swagger or cockiness in their game, a little bragging here and there is ok too. It's part of the game you've worked so hard to build. Unless you know what you're doing, humbleness usually kills your game when doubt creeps in.

You don't have to be a show off to feel cocky about your game. Most golfers are polite and respectful and these trolls took advantage of it. Next time I come across one I'd turn it right around.

• Like 1

I've only had some one offer me advice on the range once. I was warming up with my driver and I had hit 3 rightward slices since I was working on hitting a fade. I had the guy in the stall next to me turn to me and tell me to slow down and that I'm swinging too fast. I just tell him thanks and keep going about my day. He stops and tells me the same thing again not 10 minutes later even after several well hit balls and I told him the reason it looks like I'm seeing so fast is because I am. I told him my swing speed is 110 compared to his 75 so he should keep that in mind before offering advice.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I think good golfer should have a bit of swagger or cockiness in their game, a little bragging here and there is ok too. It's part of the game you've worked so hard to build. Unless you know what you're doing, humbleness usually kills your game when doubt creeps in.

You don't have to be a show off to feel cocky about your game. Most golfers are polite and respectful and these trolls took advantage of it. Next time I come across one I'd turn it right around.

I don't think I've ever seen any of the scratch golfers at my course give advice in any practice area

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I know. I couldn't even keep a straight face. I remember a fish hook in my eyebrow, lol.

Did you ask him why he wasn't on Tour with that handicap? I remember reading that Golf Digest estimated Tiger's handicap from when he was in is prime at +7!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I've been hitting nothing but wedges all morning, and on most shots stopped and appreciate the sound at impact. If he'd pay attention he'd known. Especially if he's a plus 10, he'd give me more credit than that right?

Sh!t if he's a +10, He should be on tour.. And not at the driving range of a local Muni.. Just saying.. Much kudos to you i Have very little patience for those kind of people.. 

I usually try to ignore them..  OR start talking to myself and cursing a little they usually leave me alone or move.. and I'm laughing inside.. LOL... 

• Like 1

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I was at the range hitting some balls and next to me was a guy apparently trying to teach his buddy the golf swing.  Since I am a lefty, we were facing each other.   It became obvious to me that the supposed instructor had no business trying to teach anyone and his buddy was really struggling and getting frustrated.   The student buddy looked at me and asked if I had any tips or advice for him, to which I relied, I sure do.   I told him --never listen to or seek advice from an amateur like myself.   Go to the end of the range and you will see a garage looking building.   In there is a PGA teaching professional that can help you, his name is Mark.   His buddy gave me a rather unpleasant look.

• Like 7

This is hilarious. I see unsolicited advice offered at the range all the time and most of it is terrible. It takes all my will power to shut up when I hear people try to tell a guy how to fix his swing. I just want to turn around and remind them that they offer lessons at the course if you really want to improve. I don't even like it when I'm having a great day at the range and someone asks me for help. Even if I can pick out all his swing faults, I'm not a teaching pro and have no idea what the best way for them to fix it is. I'd probably do more harm than good. If they'd been out there the day before watching me hit balls off the planet, there's no way they would have asked me for advice in the first place.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I've started wearing my bluetooth earbuds at the range.... but...shhhh.... sometimes their not even on.  :lol:

• Like 6

StrokerAce
:cobra-small:  Speedzone Xtreme 
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 4-A KBS tour 120 
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:cleveland-small: S.O.F.T. #1
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
:Arccos: Stat tracking

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

I was at the range on Father's day.... it was a local place that isn't on a course and you hit off of mats.  The mats are fairly close to each other with those plastic dividers you can put a bucket on.

Of course Father's Day is when dad takes the kids to the range to hit some balls.  A dad and 2 boys show up.  There are 4 spots (A/B/C/D).... I'm in spot C.  Dad jumps in spot B, older kid who dad seems to like and is interested in golf is in spot A.  Younger (16?) kid is in spot D.  

Grabs one of dads "clubs".... I kid you not... a persimmon 3 wood.... 

kid walks RIGHT behind me to get a few balls from dad's bucket; I had an idea he was going to do it so I stop and wait...would've cracked him in the head on my backswing had I not waited.

Tees it up on a 2 3/4" tee and rares back to knock the crap outta the ball.... of course he sways way, way back ... and ::::BOOM:::: nails the side of the plastic divider.

Repeats this for about 20 balls and then goes to sit on the chair and scan through his phone while dad+kid dad likes hit the rest of the balls...

I was **this close** to suggesting he get a shorter tee (didn't know if he realized you can replace the rubber tees) but then I realized that I'd be that guy at the range.  Plus the fact the kid didn't really give a --crap-- and was just there because it was "dad's day"....

I see some funny, funny stuff at this range...  there could be a book - "Tales from the range"....

• Like 4

StrokerAce

Nice to hear someone else spends the majority of range time without a driver in their hands.

And you're right, at the range only nice greetings and compliments should be stated, not advice.

• Like 1

Man, sorry to hear that! I go out of my way NOT to offer advice on the range or course! I play ok and I sometimes get the sense that guys I play with are trying to get me to offer them advice but I never do out of fear that I will misinterpret what they want and look like a total jackass!

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Ace, perhaps a better title for your book would be "Tails on the Range".

• Like 2

Ace, perhaps a better title for your book would be "Tails on the Range".

HAHA!  I'm telling you...it'd be a best seller !!

:D 

• Like 2

StrokerAce

This makes me think of something that happened to me recently.  I was playing in my work league last month when one of our group members was really struggling.  I learned from his teammate that this was only his second time ever golfing.  Because our league is comprised mainly of retirees, there is an open door policy i.e. no one is turned away from joining the league.  He shot 147 for 18 holes.  When we were done and inside the clubhouse having a drink he was being pretty hard on himself so I said "you can work on keeping your base more stable, you were swaying all over the place out there and that's one reason why you struggle to hit the ball consistently" to he replied "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME WHILE WE WERE OUT THERE?!".  At this point I started to grin because I realized I was about to have my first "dad" moment with a new golfer.  I told him that someday he would understand; that unsolicited advice on the golf course is a huge breach of etiquette, and the above all else there's just some things he needs to figure out on his own or he'll never really improve.

• Like 4

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

The ONLY advice i Offer on the range is to Little Kids, 7,8,9, maybe a little older if THEY ask..  

and it's usually a trick i figured out with my daughter.. I put a penny down in front of the ball and tell them to hit the penny... Works great for kids.. that is the only range advice i give.. and only after I ask dad if it's ok.. 

Kids tend to understand hitting the penny better then taking a divot after the ball.. other then that Nothing.. 

Unless with a buddy then nothing is off-limits.. you swing like my wife, you need to slow down oh wait you need to speed up, slow from the top faster take away.. of yeah it's all fair game when it just Jim and I.. 

• Like 1

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.