Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What's wrong with GI clubs?

robertson153

I've noticed players that can't break 90 or even 100 for that matter are using "tour" model clubs. Why wouldn't a 18+ handicap person use game improvement clubs? I did until I could break into mid to low 80s consistently. What's the reason? Pride?

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed players that can't break 90 or even 100 for that matter are using "tour" model clubs. Why wouldn't a 18+ handicap person use game improvement clubs? I did until I could break into mid to low 80s consistently. What's the reason? Pride?

Blake

I'd guess that it also has a lot to do with the fact that player's irons are generally "nicer" to look at. I'm definitely the type of guy that values the slimmer, sleeker look of player's irons, but I'd probably play a bit better with GI irons. I just made the switch to AP2s a few weeks ago, and have found that my ball striking is already improving simply due to the punishment I receive when I mishit them.

Driver: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

3W: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

Hybrid: Adams Pro 18°, Aldila Rogue Black

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2, DG AMT S300

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50°, 54°, 58°

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach 6, 33 inch

Driver: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 9.5º

3W: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 14.5º

Hybrid: Callaway XR Steelhead 19º

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT, Standard lofts and lie

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50º, 54º, 58º, Tour Raw finish

Putter: Scotty Cameron Cameron & Crown Newport Mallet 1

Ball: Bridgestone B330 RXS or Titleist ProV1 or Vice Pro

Colin Montgomery gamed the same irons I do . Cally Razr XF which I believe are definitely in the GI lineup. Not sure why anyone would want to make a hard game harder?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Colin Montgomery gamed the same irons I do . Cally Razr XF which I believe are definitely in the GI lineup. Not sure why anyone would want to make a hard game harder?

I have both the steel and graphite version of the XF. Excellent clubs. It's actually in the SGI. It was my main set for a long time. Hybrid is not the best but it would do.

This is how I look at the subject. Would I benefit from a GI iron? Probably. However, how much? The selling points of GI, as I see it, are:

• More distance (likely because of jacked lofts, but the GI aspect makes the lower lofts easier to hit)
  • More forgiveness

What I battle with is, I don't need more distance IMO. My 150 club is an 8i, do I really need to be hitting a 9i that far? In regards to forgiveness, off-center hits will be punished less. My main miss is because I'm lazy in my swing and don't turn enough at the shoulders, resulting in an armsy shot that is usually blocked left, sometimes off the toe because I came so far across - a GI iron wouldn't fix that.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

We will "fight" over this until we are blue in the face. I fully agree with the original poster. Most single digit guys would benefit from gaming a GI iron let alone higher handicappers. Like lessons or fitting they wont likely do it.

That's fine, golf is meant to be fun and so if they find hitting irons with a Maltby playability rating of 102 fun by all means knock themselves out.

I've learned by now that shooting the lowest score is not the goal of most golfers. So long as they aren't slowing other golfers down or distracting them I say go for it.

If however someone asks my opinion on what will help me play better I will give it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have both the steel and graphite version of the XF. Excellent clubs. It's actually in the SGI. It was my main set for a long time. Hybrid is not the best but it would do.

Yea they're sweet hitting irons and I love mine :wub: .  It's my second set of these babies and back in the day they were one of the more expensive set of irons.   They still hold their value well.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've shared my opinion on this a few times... anyways, to answer your question: Nothing.

I had Titleist DCI OS while I was in high school. They are about as game improvement as you could get then. I hated the offset and the look at address. And just played better golf with my old Wilson blades.

It's a mental game. Some people it GI or SGI clubs might help or not.

They are just fugly looking.

*except yours ole gray* I've actually hit those and they don't look too bad!!

I'm talking the 3 feet of offset, 41° "Pw" at some point they should be called game disguisers. (I'm talking the complete hacks that are worse than you metntioned) like 100 on 9 holes.

Nothing wrong with GI clubs, if they fit your eye and your game. They just aren't for some.

As Rev said, this is one of those topics that will go on forever. And that's not a bad thing. I always enjoy hearing others thoughts.

Im one who plays in the 90s and I play don't play a true GI iron or a. Tour iron. The 765 are a mid level iron to me and I hit them just fine.

My higher cap comes from being short and not always straight off the tee. Pro tip: that's not always a good combination. Ha

I have recently played two GI lines. AP1 and D300. They are both fine irons and I hit them well. Probably even slightly better misses than the 765.

But the looks and lack of feel (ok roll your eyes with the 17 HC talking about feel...ha) left me really unsatisfied.

I'm sure I'll probably play another GI line sometime soon and probably move on from it at some point. Just doing my part to help the economy. Ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ego, maybe. Pride, maybe. I think it's more not knowing the levels and nuances in club selection. Most golfers refer to what's being advertised, or what their favorite pro uses. They think that's what I need to be playing. Ultimately anyone who wants to be serious about the game should seek professional council early on.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Why do people play the wrong clubs? Because they can, they want to.. For what ever reason.. 

My Step-son is TERRIBLE... Like WTF, Terrible.. He was given a set of Ping G20's or G15's by his aunt that were his uncles.. All of it, Diver, hybrids, Irons, Putter, and Bag.. All Ping with a Taylor made Spider putter.. Senior flex shafts.. 

He will Not  look at other clubs as they all all PING's, and he can't afford to get a set to fit him.. So he hacks around with Shafts that Make cooked spaghetti look stiff.. Because He's "stylish".. He enjoys himself adn he doesn't really care.. So we Play and he sucks, we have a good time.. It works for him.. 

there are all sorts of reasons people do what they do, most of which we may never understand... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

As someone who shoots in the 90s (though recent lessons have my score going down when I actually do what I'm supposed to) and plays a players iron, those clubs are not the reason I shoot so high. For some, their game is all around the reason they shoot what they shoot, but my cap is a result of being lousy off the tee, and having a shaky putting game occasionally. If I mishit my irons it's a ridiculously fat shot or a hosel rocket. Until my AP2s I had always played GI/SGI; however there was no difference in my iron game from the first round on. And after playing forged, I doubt I will ever play a cast club again (though the i200s are supposed to make people think different)

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It was never my intention to say ALL high handicaps should be playing a GI or SGI set of irons. It was more of I couldn't hit one solid UNTIL I started playing them. I play with a Nike VRS forged set. I was just asking why some never looked at them as an option. Now that I feel like I have ball striking down pretty good I'm looking for a better set. Sorry if I offended someone.

CobraConnectChallenge3

It was never my intention to say ALL high handicaps should be playing a GI or SGI set of irons. It was more of I couldn't hit one solid UNTIL I started playing them. I play with a Nike VRS forged set. I was just asking why some never looked at them as an option. Now that I feel like I have ball striking down pretty good I'm looking for a better set. Sorry if I offended someone.

I don't think you offended anyone. Great discussion point. Keep the thread going.

- Alan

Blake

Perhaps, they are beginning or casual golfers that don't know any better.   I know when I decided to purchase my first set, I just thought a golf club was just a golf club so price was my primary concern.   It wasn't until I decided that I actually wanted to become something more than just a casual golfer that I discovered that there were forged clubs versus cast, blades versus cavity backs and that clubs can be and should be fitted to both you and your game.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a high handicapper playing a "players" iron if that's what they want. I think the most important aspect of selecting a set of irons is confidence. When at address, are you confident that if you put the correct swing on the ball will you make contact with the sweet spot? For beginners that usually means using a oversized game improvement iron, but some might have more confidence using a more compact head.

I think the golf industry has sent people's heads spinning with limitless options of SGI, GI, Players, Forged, Cast, etc heads. Now add in the myriad of shaft choices, grip sizes, static fittings, launch monitor numbers etc and it really gets complicated.

Golf is the only sport/hobby that has "Game Improvement" equipment to try to make it easier, which when you stop and think about it, is really kind of silly. I don't see game improvement ice skates to make playing hockey easier. Perhaps that basketball league you play in after work uses hula-hoop sized baskets to make it easier to score. And I've yet to find in my time playing guitar a "music improvement model" that makes my missed notes sound less bad.

As I said in another thread, if I went with a new player to a pro shop and they asked me what irons they should get, I'd tell them to pick the clubs that are most pleasing to their eye. The club that makes you want to pick it up, to put in the time with it to actually improve, that is the best club of all.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

The problem I have with some gi and SGI is strong loft. Literally 2 club stronger than my mp14. I know golf manufacturers know more than me but even I know that more loft on the club make them easier to hit and with modern design of face and sole make them longer than older design anyways. This is a primary reason why less and less people carry 5i, they can't hit it effectively because it's would have been call a 3i 15 years ago and not many people can hit 3i.

Now next up is the blade. Let's face it, it's the "right of passage" for many golfers I love them they look great and usually cheaper than uber expensive 5 piece construction SGI. Most companies assume that only fast swingers can hit this, not so true. One of the main reason why people can't hit it is because the shaft are too damn stiff for them. On usually the only shaft option available is variation of stiffs steel shafts. What?

I have a good groove swing why can't I have them in regular flex and graphite, what about the ladies nothing for them suck it up and learn to get your iron swing speed up to 90? Or spend $500 reshafting?

I think if they make gi with less ridiculously strong loft and length, and give more shaft flex and graphite option on muscleback irons more golfers would benefit from both type.

There is nothing wrong with GI clubs.  Certainly, golfers who do not make consistent contact with the ball will benefit from GI clubs.  Low hcp players can certainly play GI clubs if they are set up correctly.  These players will likely prefer a Players club mostly because it allows them to work the ball better than GI clubs.  I play both Ping i20 irons which I consider a GI club, and MacGregor VIP Tourney muscle backs.  The Macs are not as unforgiving as a small blade, but I can work the ball a little with them.  I will say that playing with Players clubs will more likely make you a better ball striker, IF you don't get frustrated first.  

There are so many good GI clubs out there, some that are a couple years old that are quite reasonable in price.  I think any beginner should start there, but pick a couple of Players club just to practice with.  If you want to shoot your lowest scores, use GI; if you want to improve ball contact, practice with the Players club.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Like Shankster said, i don't think you offended anyone at all, at least speaking for myself.  Like we said, it's a fun conversation to have and to hear each other's reasons and thoughts.  No one rule for everyone.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I recently played a round with a loaner set of Aeroburner irons.  I thought the short irons were a little clunky, but I liked the wide sole on the mid and long irons so I started looking to see if there were iron sets that would start out at the long irons as SGI and work down to blades in the wedges. I saw the Cobra F6/F7 and I am curious about them. Haven't had a chance to hit them, though.  Does anybody have experience with them or other similar iron sets?

I recently played a round with a loaner set of Aeroburner irons.  I thought the short irons were a little clunky, but I liked the wide sole on the mid and long irons so I started looking to see if there were iron sets that would start out at the long irons as SGI and work down to blades in the wedges. I saw the Cobra F6/F7 and I am curious about them. Haven't had a chance to hit them, though.  Does anybody have experience with them or other similar iron sets?

I play a combo set. Not quite GI/SGI, but anything longer than an 8i in my set has a filled cavity. The rest are more muscle back.

Lots of people play combo sets, I like it because it makes sense in my game - I've never been super confident in my long irons.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Lol I learned on a hand me down set of Rams. Maybe that's why the one part of my game that has always been consistent is ball striking.

In the end it's your money and your game play with what you feel like. I just try to be as open as I can to all R&D and try out everything I can.

s-l225.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't think the answer to this question is that simple. I'm in the market for new iron, and I definitely could use more help than my Hogan Apex's offer. But I'm hesitant to go with GI for several reasons. First, I hate the offset. It just leads to a hook for me. Second, I need spin more than I need extra distance, and the jacked lofts reduce spin in the name of distance. Also, guys like Crossfield debate how much they really help. To their point, is a GI iron going to help much when I hit 3in behind the ball? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't think the answer to this question is that simple. I'm in the market for new iron, and I definitely could use more help than my Hogan Apex's offer. But I'm hesitant to go with GI for several reasons. First, I hate the offset. It just leads to a hook for me. Second, I need spin more than I need extra distance, and the jacked lofts reduce spin in the name of distance. Also, guys like Crossfield debate how much they really help. To their point, is a GI iron going to help much when I hit 3in behind the ball? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You could always have the lofts bent 1-2° weak, that would cure the jacked loft and lack of spin thing in one shot. And take care of the offset too, a little. But will add bounce.

- Alan

We could spend the rest of our lives on here debating what is the best. It always comes back to getting fitted. If you are 100% serious about your game and want the best for yourself, get fitted. I was only suggesting a high handicapper should consider GI clubs. In the end it may not be what they need. I'll swing an "ugly" club all day if it lowers my score.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Archived