TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's wrong with GI clubs?

robertson153

If you can just do what I do try it. Play different set each round, of course my newest set gets extra in the rotation. I'm playing the same course few rounds a week I gotta keep it fresh.

I learn that blades are not necessarily harder to hit than gi just limited. It's not that hard to hit knockdown shots on SGI even banana fade is very doable.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think all GI are fugly...kinda hard to call APEX CF 16's fugly and they are GI irons.

I have played players irons and the crossover iron like the BRIDGESTONE J40 DPC"s ( wish I still had those) but I find I get better results with a little more forgiveness.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

We could spend the rest of our lives on here debating what is the best. It always comes back to getting fitted. If you are 100% serious about your game and want the best for yourself, get fitted. I was only suggesting a high handicapper should consider GI clubs. In the end it may not be what they need. I'll swing an "ugly" club all day if it lowers my score.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

You are 100 percent correct. It's funny how us golfer have such loyalty to a brand/model that is not paying us anything. I was messing around at a PGA super store the other day and the tech offered I try the new Wilsons. At first I was like nah no Wilson clubs for me. But u know what I grabbed a 7 iron took a few swing and was impressed. I wish I could test clubs blind folded and approach each brand and model with an equally open mind.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You are 100 percent correct. It's funny how us golfer have such loyalty to a brand/model that is not paying us anything. I was messing around at a PGA super store the other day and the tech offered I try the new Wilsons. At first I was like nah no Wilson clubs for me. But u know what I grabbed a 7 iron took a few swing and was impressed. I wish I could test clubs blind folded and approach each brand and model with an equally open mind.

I'm no brand groupies, I'll play anything that would help my game as long as they are Callaway:)

I don't think anything is wrong with them at all. I don't play them even though I'm a 26 because my fitter said it wouldn't benefit from them.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Has anyone heard of the Maltby Playability Factor (MPF)? I just discovered it, pretty interesting to me.

http://ralphmaltby.com/what-is-mpf/

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

If game improving clubs were as forgiving as advertised, handicaps would be dropping.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

If game improving clubs were as forgiving as advertised, handicaps would be dropping.

My handicap dropped from around 22 to 15.3. Was it the GI irons? Is my game just getting better? Only way to find out is to be selected to test these JPX 900s . Seriously even if I don't get picked I will probably pick up some JPX irons. Probably not 900s to much $$ for me.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

Funny that this has come up as a convo. I dropped into a fitter today, not my original, and was just talking a bit. I have had a little desire to try something different if I was looking at purchasing another fitted club. Conversation was good but the guy asked what clubs I played...I told him "mizuno MP64's" and he immediately said "WOW trying to make the game hard huh?" I was a little taken back as he doesn't know how I play or how I hit the ball. I told him "no I don't feel that these make the game harder at all..." to no response in return. I love my 64's and it would be hard to peel them out of my hands.

So it's interesting that now the immediate response to anyone not playing for a scholarship or a paycheck "you should be in a GI iron" or whatever.

I have played with cavity backed clubs and felt the distance with them was just ridiculous. I think I played with the X18's from Calloway when I got back into playing.

Anyway, I love my 64's for their consistency and feedback. I tend to raise my head slightly in downswing at times and that leaves me a thin shot a couple grooves low. It's nice for me to know that so I can make that conscious effort in keeping my head absolutely still.

Anyway small rant and a coincidental topic for today given my experience of the day.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Because the game is still play by the same type of golfers since Harry Vardon's era. He wrote in his book the complete golfer (1905) in the chapter about driving. He began by saying that the British golfers off the day suffered from the debacle of long drives. There's a tendency to regards a very long drives to be almost everything as a plain of the whole, and be utterly careless for straightness and short game. A century later the only difference is instead of the 250 yards now golfers are lusting after 100 yards beyond that.

As for the advancement in clubs. Sure it's better. My first round back in early 2014 after 11 years hiatus, I was playing my '02 big bertha irons, steel head woods and the first Nike driver(back then it had no model). It was alright as I was expected. Then I was introduced to the new best friend "the Preowned" sites. I went nuts.

Every clubs I bought was easier to hit than back then, then I got my first hybrid, genius! It's 10 times easier to hit than my PRGR and even the "rescue" club. Drivers of today are so easy to hit and so forgiving compare to the 400cc Nike I had. It's like you've been using Nokia phone for 11 years and then someone gave you an iPhone 6+.

I asked myself the same question, why aren't golfers better. Then it hit me when I look around at the local ranges. They are the same numb nuts that still keep pounding drives after drives disregarding the 2 most importance facts.

1. Nothing is more important to a golfer success than his ability with the scoring clubs, the short irons, the wedges and the putter.

2. You won't fulfill your potential as a golfer unless you embrace your short game.

Distance is a function of equipments and club head speed. It's not impossible to gain club head speed by getting stronger. However none of that can turn Corey Pavin into Bubba Watson. There's no wonder that golfers are desperate to hit the ball further and still have scoring problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My quick reply... people dont use GI clubs because theyve become toooo helpful and the player doesnt know if he is competent or if uts the club

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This was true when the Callaway X's came out. Got to play a demo set (x12) for a week and what you were sure was a miss turned out way to good for the swing you put on it. It was really a strange deal to find out how much forgiveness they could put in a club, but I couldnt see the sense in letting the club make up for a bad swing...

Because the game is still play by the same type of golfers since Harry Vardon's era. He wrote in his book the complete golfer (1905) in the chapter about driving. He began by saying that the British golfers off the day suffered from the debacle of long drives. There's a tendency to regards a very long drives to be almost everything as a plain of the whole, and be utterly careless for straightness and short game. A century later the only difference is instead of the 250 yards now golfers are lusting after 100 yards beyond that.

As for the advancement in clubs. Sure it's better. My first round back in early 2014 after 11 years hiatus, I was playing my '02 big bertha irons, steel head woods and the first Nike driver(back then it had no model). It was alright as I was expected. Then I was introduced to the new best friend "the Preowned" sites. I went nuts.

Every clubs I bought was easier to hit than back then, then I got my first hybrid, genius! It's 10 times easier to hit than my PRGR and even the "rescue" club. Drivers of today are so easy to hit and so forgiving compare to the 400cc Nike I had. It's like you've been using Nokia phone for 11 years and then someone gave you an iPhone 6+.

I asked myself the same question, why aren't golfers better. Then it hit me when I look around at the local ranges. They are the same numb nuts that still keep pounding drives after drives disregarding the 2 most importance facts.

1. Nothing is more important to a golfer success than his ability with the scoring clubs, the short irons, the wedges and the putter.

2. You won't fulfill your potential as a golfer unless you embrace your short game.

Distance is a function of equipments and club head speed. It's not impossible to gain club head speed by getting stronger. However none of that can turn Corey Pavin into Bubba Watson. There's no wonder that golfers are desperate to hit the ball further and still have scoring problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Literally the exact same story except I had my trusty Ping Tisi Tec driver to go with my Big Berthas.

After coming back to golf, I played an entire year without a driver to force myself to practice everything else. I finally bought a new driver last month.

As I started to tee up with a 3 wood, my regular playing partners would tell me where to find the ladies tees. Then came the irons with more loft and graphite shafts that launch to the moon. They would brag on the tee box about hitting an "8 iron" then ask me what I planned to hit. After I held up my 6 iron, they would tell me where to find the ladies tees.

...then something magical started to happen. I started putting those 3 woods dead center in the middle of the fairway most of the time and those 6 irons in the middle of the green with one bounce.

I go to the range fairly regularly. I rarely see anyone with wedge trying to bounce balls off of the 100 yard sign. If you can't do that and make 10 foot putts, good luck breaking 90.

Has anyone heard of the Maltby Playability Factor (MPF)? I just discovered it, pretty interesting to me.

http://ralphmaltby.com/what-is-mpf/

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

I couldn't get the second link to work. Sometimes you just don't need the 360 cup face, speed slot, jail bird, absolute zero with u,w,x and t grinds club. Best performing clubs are the ones that fit you and your game. Tom Wishon driver, fairway woods and hybrids can be bend to properly fits your impact lie angle, none of the big names can do that.

Literally the exact same story except I had my trusty Ping Tisi Tec driver to go with my Big Berthas.

I go to the range fairly regularly. I rarely see anyone with wedge trying to bounce balls off of the 100 yard sign. If you can't do that and make 10 foot putts, good luck breaking 90.

Nowadays drivers are easy to hit so many hit them in or close to the fairway than ever before. It's the next shot that they still need a lot of work. One time I said to the guy I play with about good course management plan. He said, yeah I need to see if I can get a job here or some other courses.😱

One time I said to the guy I play with about good course management plan. He said, yeah I need to see if I can get a job here or some other courses.

LOL this is hilarious! 

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Game improving has gone way past drivers. Wedges, putters, hybrid chippers. All of it is designed to improve some part of someone's game. Not just distance. The question is, do they work?

I play with a guy who's a great golfer, but he's terrible with pitch shots. If he's 5-10 yards away from the fringe, it's taking him 2-3 shots to get on the green. Now he uses an alien hybrid wedge for those shots. It still takes him 2 to get on the green.

We can talk about moi and center of gravity. Sure, somethings make hitting the ball a little easier. But at the end of the day game improving clubs aren't fixing the handicaps.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Lol I learned on a hand me down set of Rams. Maybe that's why the one part of my game that has always been consistent is ball striking.

In the end it's your money and your game play with what you feel like. I just try to be as open as I can to all R&D and try out everything I can.

attachicon.gifs-l225.jpg

My second set of irons and first big boy set were Ram Tour Grinds. Those things were sweet. But my first baseball bat was wooden - I didn't cut the Rams down for my kids and I didn't buy them a wooden bat - -

Interestingly enough too the 2 iron to my set was out of stock when it shipped to me. A month later they sent me their cast 2 iron by mistake. I kept it and could kill that thing 220 on a string off the tee (remember this was the equivalent of a modern 4 iron).

At any rate we can argue through the benefits of various irons until we are blue in the face. Just go ahead and use what you like. Personally my goal is to have fun and generally I will have more by shooting the lowest score possible. Yours may be to have cool looking clubs or to enjoy the feel of a well hit 7 iron off a forged Mizuno blade.

Go for it!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

My second set of irons and first big boy set were Ram Tour Grinds. Those things were sweet. But my first baseball bat was wooden - I didn't cut the Rams down for my kids and I didn't buy them a wooden bat - -

Interestingly enough too the 2 iron to my set was out of stock when it shipped to me. A month later they sent me their cast 2 iron by mistake. I kept it and could kill that thing 220 on a string off the tee (remember this was the equivalent of a modern 4 iron).

At any rate we can argue through the benefits of various irons until we are blue in the face. Just go ahead and use what you like. Personally my goal is to have fun and generally I will have more by shooting the lowest score possible. Yours may be to have cool looking clubs or to enjoy the feel of a well hit 7 iron off a forged Mizuno blade.

Go for it!

I couldn't agree more with you. You have to pull the trigger and start the swing. So having something that makes you feel comfortable and confident is a big plus.

Game improving has gone way past drivers. Wedges, putters, hybrid chippers. All of it is designed to improve some part of someone's game. Not just distance. The question is, do they work?

I play with a guy who's a great golfer, but he's terrible with pitch shots. If he's 5-10 yards away from the fringe, it's taking him 2-3 shots to get on the green. Now he uses an alien hybrid wedge for those shots. It still takes him 2 to get on the green.

We can talk about moi and center of gravity. Sure, somethings make hitting the ball a little easier. But at the end of the day game improving clubs aren't fixing the handicaps.

I'm just wondering if this proves an argument that I often make with friends. Course management is extremely under rated.

So we have these clubs that do enhance our consistency but then we fail to fit that improved game into the situation we are presented with.

I know that Jim Mcllean's philosophy is that a score is made up of 1/3 ball striking, 1/3 short game and 1/3 course management. Perhaps its event more management than 1/3.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think something we all lose sight of Why we play the game.. We like it, it's fun.. If I play the best round of my life with a set of blades great, if it's Ping I3 osize great (which I did).. It's not for us to question, as long as someone is playing and enjoying playing.. I happen to play Game improvement irons, Ping G25's why because when i tested new clubs i hit them well and they felt good. Some play blades because that's what we have played for years and the feel good to them, great.. 

I think too many people get hung up on what other people's clubs are that they forget this is a game, and we are out to enjoy ourselves.. If you play SGI clubs good for you,  or blades,  or the whole round with a 5 iron, as long as your enjoying yourself great, let go play.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

... Aside from reasons others have stated for choosing a particular set of irons, the simple truth is: if shooting the lowest score is your goal you should play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. For someone with Tiger's skill in his prime, a muscle back blade was the most forgiving club he could effectively play because he needed maximum control of his trajectory both high and low as well as side to side. He also played a ball that spun more than others to help accomplish his desired shot shape. 

... I play to a 0 and more recently a + index and I want all  the forgiveness I can get. I do not work the ball side to side unless it is to get out of trouble because the current ball wants to go straight and current Players to SGi clubs are designed to hit the ball straight as well. I played a set of MP63's that I still own and love. On my good days there was not a better iron for me, basically a MB Blade with a diamond cut out slight cavity providing just a hint of forgiveness while maintaining max playability. That said, on my off days or days when my back was problematic mishits were very penal. I moved to a set of Amp Forged and then Fly Z+ that provided almost the playability of the MP63's but were more forgiving. I loved these irons but I still wanted to push the forgiveness envelope and picked up a set of Cleveland TT's that are imo closer to GI than Players irons and are amazingly forgiving while allowing me excellent trajectory control. 

... I rotated my Z+ and TT's last year but by seasons end I had the TT's in the bag almost exclusively. Starting out this spring after battling a shoulder injury and losing 27 lbs from a bacterial infection going from 185 to 163 and I needed all the help I could get to start the season. I tried rotating the Z+ in a few rounds after getting back into mid season form but had already become dependent on the TT's. Perfect example is I shot a 68 last week and was just knocking down the flag, fixing 6 ball marks within 6 feet of the pin. I could have hit those shots with a butter knife. But two shots really stood out that saved my score. Tried to hit a 5 iron 205 so I swung too hard and caught it almost off the grooves but it started right and drew back a little and just carried the hazard at 185, leaving me an easy up and down. With my Z+ I would have been in the water. On a par 5 I had 203 in after cutting the dogleg and again used my 5 iron, still swinging too hard not learning from previous shot I hit it on the toe again, although not quite as bad. But It started a little right and drew back about 5 yards hitting just short of the green and kicking a little right and stopping in the light rough well short of the water. Had I hit it 5-10 yds shorter, the hill is more severe and it would have definitely kicked into the water, leaving my a worse angle to the pin and having to drop in very deep rough. 

... On those two shots alone, I was saved 3 to 4 strokes. I am sure there were a few others I didn't hit dead center that turned out to be good shots and would not have been as good with my Z+ and even worse with my MP63's. So finding the most forgiving club you can effectively play puts you in the best position to shoot your lowest score. Finding that perfect set takes an open mind and plenty of demo'ing. And as others have stated, lowest score isn't everyone's most important goal, and in that case play whatever makes you happy!  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I play GI irons because my bad shots don't hurt my score near as much as when I played blades, it's that simple.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I play GI irons because my bad shots don't hurt my score near as much as when I played blades, it's that simple.

I also find that I play my best is not because of my good shots, but rather that my bad shots are less damaging.   For example, on an approach shot, if I can put it within 10 feet of the pin, that is a good shot for me.   However, its when with a bad shot, I'm still on the green a rather long ways from the pin, that helps my score.   I would rather rely on my putter to accommodate a bad shot over any other club in the bag.

I also find that I play my best is not because of my good shots, but rather that my bad shots are less damaging. For example, on an approach shot, if I can put it within 10 feet of the pin, that is a good shot for me. However, its when with a bad shot, I'm still on the green a rather long ways from the pin, that helps my score. I would rather rely on my putter to accommodate a bad shot over any other club in the bag.

Very good point. That less than perfect shot with a GI iron means your on the green instead of the bunker or across the hazard as opposed to in the creek.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I also find that I play my best is not because of my good shots, but rather that my bad shots are less damaging. For example, on an approach shot, if I can put it within 10 feet of the pin, that is a good shot for me. However, its when with a bad shot, I'm still on the green a rather long ways from the pin, that helps my score. I would rather rely on my putter to accommodate a bad shot over any other club in the bag.

That's a great way to look at ones golf games. Instead of trying to make ones good shots better. They should focus on lessening the severity of thier bad shots. This is the main reason I swapped out my 3 and 4 irons for hybrids.

Maybe a better question to ask would be do you have trouble hitting greens or sticking to a green? If it's the first, GI Irons may be a good fit.

That's a great way to look at ones golf games. Instead of trying to make ones good shots better. They should focus on lessening the severity of thier bad shots. This is the main reason I swapped out my 3 and 4 irons for hybrids.

Maybe a better question to ask would be do you have trouble hitting greens or sticking to a green? If it's the first, GI Irons may be a good fit.

And if you just have a hard time sticking it on the green, swing faster so you'll put more spin on the ball 😀

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

And if you just have a hard time sticking it on the green, swing faster so you'll put more spin on the ball

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Now that's funny - I'm going to remember that one for an opportune time with my friends during a casual round.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I play the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals and until I can break 80 with them on a semi-regular bases these GI irons are firmly in my bag. At at this rate they will be in my bag for a very long time. 🤣

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I play the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals and until I can break 80 with them on a semi-regular bases these GI irons are firmly in my bag. At at this rate they will be in my bag for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Now hears a question for you, a sort of shower thought. If you are playing a set of irons that you broke 80 on (a very hard milestone for many to do) why would you change?

I am seriously thinking of going to GI irons next. I have never played with them before, maybe it was my young foolish pride but like Chisag said if a set of iron could save you a stroke or two a round shouldn't you at least give them some thought.

I also agree with Chisag's other part of his post. We over value shot shaping at our level of play. Anytime I try and do something that is not my normal shot shape I am risking adding more strokes to the card. Sometimes it works out though, but really what did it save me. 

Archived