Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

3 Wood vs 2 Hybrid

I struggle hitting my 3 wood off the deck and was thinking of substituting it with a 2 hybrid (around 17 degrees or less).  Has anyone taken the 3 wood out of the bag and replaced it with a hybrid? Would I really be losing that much distance? Seems like I would be able to play the hybrid out of more lies. My 3 hybrid, 19 degrees, is about 10 yards short of the distance I need it to be for reaching par 5s in two.

I did the opposite. I kicked out my hybrid and only play FW now :)

But the demo day by Callaway gave me a taste of the XR16 hybrid and now I'm thinking about gettig one :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

What's your struggle with the 3w? Not getting it up off the ground? You could try something with an adjustable loft, and go up (down?) to around 17*. If you hit a hybrid better than you hit a fairway wood then by all means go for the hybrid. That said, it might just be that 15* doesn't suit your AoA.

It's all about finding what fits your game the best! I have a huge gap at the top of my bag because I'm undecided as to what to put between 15* 3w and 22* hybrid. The gap is about 40 yards so it's pretty substantial, but it hasn't affected me on the course yet. It's basically if I can make a par 5 in 2, I'm going for it with my 3w, otherwise I'm laying up with a 4h or 5i

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I have a hard time recommending dropping a fairway wood. There's so many instances (tee and fairway) when you need that specific yardage gap and a hybrid just won't do.

My 2 cents is that you should dump some money into range balls and practice that club until you get better off the deck. I'm not going to try and give you swing thoughts but you will definitely gain a huge asset to your all-around game if you focus your energy into learning to hit that club.

If you're truly desperate, try a 5 wood since they are easier to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I have a hard time recommending dropping a fairway wood. There's so many instances (tee and fairway) when you need that specific yardage gap and a hybrid just won't do.

My 2 cents is that you should dump some money into range balls and practice that club until you get better off the deck. I'm not going to try and give you swing thoughts but you will definitely gain a huge asset to your all-around game if you focus your energy into learning to hit that club.

Personally I don't know your game or the why we'll enough to make such a record recommendation either. You are asking about dropping on difficult to hit club for another. What if it's a swing flaw and not the equipment?

However your question was, has anyone ever done this? So for the sake of another possibility I've replaced 3 wood with 4 wood and haven't lost an inch of distance off of solid hits. Given the solid hits are more frequent and the misshits are better with the 4 wood I've gained distance.

Just another thought for you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have a 3 wood and a 2 hybrid in my bag. I can't hit the 3 wood off the deck, I use it strictly for tee shots. It is a 14° 3 wood. I get around 250-260 out of it, and 235-240 out of the 2 hybrid.

I had the 2 hybrid before the 3 wood, so I suppose i have done what you ask inadvertently. I am more accurate and confident with the hybrid from the fairway, rough than I would ever be with a 3 wood.

You could get an adjustable 2 hybrid too, get it to 15.5°...

or maybe a 4 wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 3 wood and a 2 hybrid in my bag. I can't hit the 3 wood off the deck, I use it strictly for tee shots. It is a 14° 3 wood. I get around 250-260 out of it, and 235-240 out of the 2 hybrid.

I had the 2 hybrid before the 3 wood, so I suppose i have done what you ask inadvertently. I am more accurate and confident with the hybrid from the fairway, rough than I would ever be with a 3 wood.

You could get an adjustable 2 hybrid too, get it to 15.5°...

+1 to this. That used to be my setup. I just swapped the hybrid for a driving iron because it suited my game better. I guess I was under the assumption Torrey already has other hybrids in the bag already.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

+1 to this. That used to be my setup. I just swapped the hybrid for a driving iron because it suited my game better. I guess I was under the assumption Torrey already has other hybrids in the bag already.

I am currently looking for a deal on Dang3rtown's Mizuno 16° 1 iron. low bullet fades that run for days. It is about to dry up here 🤞🏼 so it will work wonders.

- Alan

I've gone back and forth with this for years. Ultimately I'm better off with a 5 wood. It does leave a yardage gap between that and 4 iron but I just fight the hooks so much w hybrids that it's not worth it. Easier for me to play the 5 wood. Your results may vary

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

For probably 20 years I never used a 3 wood (couldn't hit one straight to save my life) I have always used my hybrids, I carry a 2, 3, 4 & 5, Love them.  But this last year after reading lots of reviews on the Cobra Fly-Z XL offset Driver and FW's I decided to find a good used one and give it a shot. And I absolutely LOVE IT! I am hitting the 3 wood just a little over 200 yards which is almost as far as my driver.  My 2 Hybrid I usually hit around 180-190. So I have gained yardage.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

How about utility irons? I loved the Apex UT I demo'ed last time.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I love my hybrids.

But in order to find a 190 yard club that I could hit consistently. I put a 5w in the bag and took out my 3w.

I considered a 18 degree hybrid. But I am hitting the 5w with a 7 wood shaft so consistent. I don't miss the 3w

Any shot over 200 I just hit the 5w and take my chances with my 54 degree wedge for the next shot.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I made that exact switch 2 seasons ago.  I try to use an 80% rule.  If I can't hit the club "well for my ability" 80% of the time then it's costing me strokes and shouldn't be in the bag.

I ditched the 3w and picked up a 15 degree hybrid.  I don't feel I've lost much, if any, distance and I've picked up a ton of confidence.  I actually did the same thing with my 4i & 5i.  So my bag is kind of a weird setup, I play 4 hybrids, 4 irons and 4 wedges.

The big plus is that you can generally find decent used hybrids pretty cheap, so it's not a very expensive experiment to test and see what happens.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I made that exact switch 2 seasons ago. I try to use an 80% rule. If I can't hit the club "well for my ability" 80% of the time then it's costing me strokes and shouldn't be in the bag.

I ditched the 3w and picked up a 15 degree hybrid. I don't feel I've lost much, if any, distance and I've picked up a ton of confidence. I actually did the same thing with my 4i & 5i. So my bag is kind of a weird setup, I play 4 hybrids, 4 irons and 4 wedges.

The big plus is that you can generally find decent used hybrids pretty cheap, so it's not a very expensive experiment to test and see what happens.

I've been thinking about switching a few longer irons for hybrids in my bag. I can't spin them much to stop from a ways out so figure might as well get something a bit more forgiving and maybe a bit longer

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In January I switched from my Callaway X-Hot Pro 3 wood to a Callaway X2 Hot Pro 16* hybrid. You definitely loss 5-15 yards but what I lost in distance I felt I gained in control (the hybrid is a little shorter and I feel its easier to work). I play in areas that are pretty windy so its definitely been better off the tee as well as I find it easier to flight lower. I think in the end it really depends on preference, confidence, and your swing style. For me, it was a good switch but everyone is different! 

David Challoner

Driver: Callaway EPIC, 8.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue 75 Max, X-Flex

Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+, 16*, Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex

Iron Specs: Srixon U65 2i, Srixon 765 3i-6i, Srixon 965 7i-PW, Project X 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Dexterity: Right-Handed

HCP: 6.9

"Slow, Smooth, and Finish"

In January I switched from my Callaway X-Hot Pro 3 wood to a Callaway X2 Hot Pro 16* hybrid. You definitely loss 5-15 yards but what I lost in distance I felt I gained in control (the hybrid is a little shorter and I feel its easier to work). I play in areas that are pretty windy so its definitely been better off the tee as well as I find it easier to flight lower. I think in the end it really depends on preference, confidence, and your swing style. For me, it was a good switch but everyone is different!

How do you like the hybrid? Thinking about picking one up myself just to see how I get on with it

I'm in the middle of this situation as well. I just ditched the 2 hybrid for a 5 wood. I love hybrids and just never got comfortable with the 2. I really like my 3w so I picked up the same model in 5w and going to see how it does. Fortunately/unfortunately I only need said club once maybe twice a round so it took a while to figure out the 2 hybrid wasn't for me and I suspect it will take a while to see if the 5w is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I have a 3 wood which ranges from 14-17 degrees in adjustability.  I slice the 3w all the time and struggle to make consistent strikes. My 3 hybrid doesn't slice and I get a proper launch and flight 90% of the time. It is, in fact, my favorite club in the bag. My 3w goes around 235 yards while my 3 hybrid goes 200-215, depending on far I want to hit it.  I find myself 225-240 away on par 5's and just can't reach the green with the 3h.  I have only hit the 3 wood on course maybe 5 times on course in the last 50 rounds due to my inconsistency with it. 

I need a club for the short accurate tee shots and the approach to par 5's in 2.  I currently hit my 3hybrid on the tee shots because I am still wildly inaccurate with my 3w off the tee 50% of the time.  If I can't reach a par 5 in 2 with my 3h, then I lay up with an iron. It seems like I either have to commit to working on the 3w or trying out a 2h and seeing if it is easier to hit.  I am ok with losing 5-10 yards if I can keep dispersion down.

I assume a 2h is easier to have a consistent strike because the shaft is shorter. Sounds like I need to give it a shot. Thanks everyone

How about utility irons? I loved the Apex UT I demo'ed last time.

I have never tried these.  I would be a little worried that my ball would roll into trouble with this club.  Do these launch higher or lower than hybrids?

I'm a hybrid kind of guy. I love my 2 hybrid . You'll figure out what works for your game. Consistency is the name of the game

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I have a 3 wood which ranges from 14-17 degrees in adjustability.  I slice the 3w all the time and struggle to make consistent strikes. My 3 hybrid doesn't slice and I get a proper launch and flight 90% of the time. It is, in fact, my favorite club in the bag. My 3w goes around 235 yards while my 3 hybrid goes 200-215, depending on far I want to hit it.  I find myself 225-240 away on par 5's and just can't reach the green with the 3h.  I have only hit the 3 wood on course maybe 5 times on course in the last 50 rounds due to my inconsistency with it. 

I need a club for the short accurate tee shots and the approach to par 5's in 2.  I currently hit my 3hybrid on the tee shots because I am still wildly inaccurate with my 3w off the tee 50% of the time.  If I can't reach a par 5 in 2 with my 3h, then I lay up with an iron. It seems like I either have to commit to working on the 3w or trying out a 2h and seeing if it is easier to hit.  I am ok with losing 5-10 yards if I can keep dispersion down.

I assume a 2h is easier to have a consistent strike because the shaft is shorter. Sounds like I need to give it a shot. Thanks everyone

Sometimes, strategy just has to win over the pride of reaching a par 5 in 2. If you lay up with your trusty 3h, at least you know you'll have a shot to put the ball close to the cup on your 3rd shot. Much better than scrambling after you slice your 3w!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I carry both...a 14* 3w and a 17* hybrid....about 10-15 yards distance between them but I hit the hybrid much straighter and can pay it out of tougher lies.

I then drop to a 4 hybrid because I can choke down on the 2 hybrid and play it like a 3 hybrid.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I actually think more amateurs should skip the 3 wood altogether and go right to a 4 wood or 5 wood.  The extra launch helps a ton when hitting it off the deck and I best most golfers would find they actually hit the 4 or 5 wood further than the 3 wood because of that extra launch

I have never tried these.  I would be a little worried that my ball would roll into trouble with this club.  Do these launch higher or lower than hybrids?

For me it launched lower, but that's how I like it.

Hybrids tend to balloon on me.

You should definitely try it, you can even get a higher launching/spin shaft if you desire.

For someone who likes to play irons more than woods/hybrids, this is definitely an option.

How do you like the hybrid? Thinking about picking one up myself just to see how I get on with it

I love it so far. Regardless of the length of the first hole I always use it just to put one in the fairway and start the round off on the right foot! It's hard to find regular versions down in the 16* range so you have to go with Pro versions usually, but if you can swing it then I definitely recommend it! X2 Pro is pretty forgiving for a pro version in my opinion too! Plus on the par 5's I love it off the deck compared to a three wood. I've always felt that even the smaller headed three woods are too big off the deck for me. Overall the transition has been easy!

David Challoner

I keep a 21* Callaway UT (to replace my Apex Pro 3 Iron) in the bag as well as the 16* hybrid. The UT does launch higher but I can hit a low shot easier than the hybrid. I really like the UT for long par 3s and windy par 5 second shots. I'll even use it on a short par 4 if it's narrow! The UT has a built in replaceable weight in the bottom that helps with launch so I wouldn't be too scared to try it out!!

David Challoner

I used to always hit a driver off the first tee. But it was hit and miss. And if you start off your round with a lost ball. Or having to use a "breakfast ball" it's not setting you up for a good day at the course. So I always hit a hybrid off the first tee and the 2nd one sometimes. Just to loosen up and then. Start hitting 3 wood or driver. As far as the 3 wood off the deck? It depends on the turf conditions. If it's nice and fluffy I'll hit my 3 wood which I can hit about 210 If it's hard Pan? I'll hit my hybrid which I hit 190-200 depending on conditions. set at 20.5 degrees. I think that extra degree helps. and really come down on it to get it in the air.

This Heavenwood is my favorite club in the bag, I see no need to upgrade to newer as I hit the 3W and the Heavenwood so well.  The Heavenwood fits the gap between my 3W and 19° Hybrid perfectly.   You can get 20% off right now with code GREENS

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/fairway-woods/fwoods-2014-big-bertha-v-series.html

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Archived