How about utility irons? I loved the Apex UT I demo'ed last time.

I have never tried these.  I would be a little worried that my ball would roll into trouble with this club.  Do these launch higher or lower than hybrids?

I'm a hybrid kind of guy. I love my 2 hybrid . You'll figure out what works for your game. Consistency is the name of the game

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I have a 3 wood which ranges from 14-17 degrees in adjustability.  I slice the 3w all the time and struggle to make consistent strikes. My 3 hybrid doesn't slice and I get a proper launch and flight 90% of the time. It is, in fact, my favorite club in the bag. My 3w goes around 235 yards while my 3 hybrid goes 200-215, depending on far I want to hit it.  I find myself 225-240 away on par 5's and just can't reach the green with the 3h.  I have only hit the 3 wood on course maybe 5 times on course in the last 50 rounds due to my inconsistency with it. 

I need a club for the short accurate tee shots and the approach to par 5's in 2.  I currently hit my 3hybrid on the tee shots because I am still wildly inaccurate with my 3w off the tee 50% of the time.  If I can't reach a par 5 in 2 with my 3h, then I lay up with an iron. It seems like I either have to commit to working on the 3w or trying out a 2h and seeing if it is easier to hit.  I am ok with losing 5-10 yards if I can keep dispersion down.

I assume a 2h is easier to have a consistent strike because the shaft is shorter. Sounds like I need to give it a shot. Thanks everyone

Sometimes, strategy just has to win over the pride of reaching a par 5 in 2. If you lay up with your trusty 3h, at least you know you'll have a shot to put the ball close to the cup on your 3rd shot. Much better than scrambling after you slice your 3w!

• Like 2

I carry both...a 14* 3w and a 17* hybrid....about 10-15 yards distance between them but I hit the hybrid much straighter and can pay it out of tougher lies.

I then drop to a 4 hybrid because I can choke down on the 2 hybrid and play it like a 3 hybrid.

I actually think more amateurs should skip the 3 wood altogether and go right to a 4 wood or 5 wood.  The extra launch helps a ton when hitting it off the deck and I best most golfers would find they actually hit the 4 or 5 wood further than the 3 wood because of that extra launch

• Like 1

I have never tried these.  I would be a little worried that my ball would roll into trouble with this club.  Do these launch higher or lower than hybrids?

For me it launched lower, but that's how I like it.

Hybrids tend to balloon on me.

You should definitely try it, you can even get a higher launching/spin shaft if you desire.

For someone who likes to play irons more than woods/hybrids, this is definitely an option.

How do you like the hybrid? Thinking about picking one up myself just to see how I get on with it

I love it so far. Regardless of the length of the first hole I always use it just to put one in the fairway and start the round off on the right foot! It's hard to find regular versions down in the 16* range so you have to go with Pro versions usually, but if you can swing it then I definitely recommend it! X2 Pro is pretty forgiving for a pro version in my opinion too! Plus on the par 5's I love it off the deck compared to a three wood. I've always felt that even the smaller headed three woods are too big off the deck for me. Overall the transition has been easy!

• Like 1

I keep a 21* Callaway UT (to replace my Apex Pro 3 Iron) in the bag as well as the 16* hybrid. The UT does launch higher but I can hit a low shot easier than the hybrid. I really like the UT for long par 3s and windy par 5 second shots. I'll even use it on a short par 4 if it's narrow! The UT has a built in replaceable weight in the bottom that helps with launch so I wouldn't be too scared to try it out!!

I used to always hit a driver off the first tee. But it was hit and miss. And if you start off your round with a lost ball. Or having to use a "breakfast ball" it's not setting you up for a good day at the course. So I always hit a hybrid off the first tee and the 2nd one sometimes. Just to loosen up and then. Start hitting 3 wood or driver. As far as the 3 wood off the deck? It depends on the turf conditions. If it's nice and fluffy I'll hit my 3 wood which I can hit about 210 If it's hard Pan? I'll hit my hybrid which I hit 190-200 depending on conditions. set at 20.5 degrees. I think that extra degree helps. and really come down on it to get it in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This Heavenwood is my favorite club in the bag, I see no need to upgrade to newer as I hit the 3W and the Heavenwood so well.  The Heavenwood fits the gap between my 3W and 19° Hybrid perfectly.   You can get 20% off right now with code GREENS

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/fairway-woods/fwoods-2014-big-bertha-v-series.html

I actually think more amateurs should skip the 3 wood altogether and go right to a 4 wood or 5 wood. The extra launch helps a ton when hitting it off the deck and I best most golfers would find they actually hit the 4 or 5 wood further than the 3 wood because of that extra launch

I agree, well my instructor agrees. I couldn't hit any 3 wood , without telling me he had me try a club that I hit about 230, it was a Callaway xr 4 wood. I hit it so well haven't looked back.

Now I tried and think I will replace my 5 iron with a Epic heavenwood.

I like that 80% rule. I struggle with my 5 iron maybe time to pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I gave up on my woods this summer. I just carry a 2, 3, and 4 hybrid at the top of my bag. I get on average 250-260 yards off the tee and more control with my 2H. Playing for fairways, dont care about distance anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm back and forth on the switch. I was hitting poorly the 3w but the 2h wasnt much better. I've recently put one back in that I can hit straight. My 5 wood is excellent and about 215. My 5hybrid is great and about 190. I'm adding a 4 hybrid for the gap. A well hit 3w is usually only 230, but often gets me in trouble right so for the 15 yards, I'm probably leaving it out. If I cant reach the par 5 with the 5 wood, then I'll lay up. Better a par than a double from a badly hit 3w

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I have a 3 wood which ranges from 14-17 degrees in adjustability.  I slice the 3w all the time and struggle to make consistent strikes. My 3 hybrid doesn't slice and I get a proper launch and flight 90% of the time. It is, in fact, my favorite club in the bag. My 3w goes around 235 yards while my 3 hybrid goes 200-215, depending on far I want to hit it.  I find myself 225-240 away on par 5's and just can't reach the green with the 3h.  I have only hit the 3 wood on course maybe 5 times on course in the last 50 rounds due to my inconsistency with it. 

I need a club for the short accurate tee shots and the approach to par 5's in 2.  I currently hit my 3hybrid on the tee shots because I am still wildly inaccurate with my 3w off the tee 50% of the time.  If I can't reach a par 5 in 2 with my 3h, then I lay up with an iron. It seems like I either have to commit to working on the 3w or trying out a 2h and seeing if it is easier to hit.  I am ok with losing 5-10 yards if I can keep dispersion down.

I assume a 2h is easier to have a consistent strike because the shaft is shorter. Sounds like I need to give it a shot. Thanks everyone

I would say get rid of that 3w or go to fitter and have the shaft looked at, shortened, properly fit, etc. If you can hit your 3h as well as you say then it sounds like your swing is solid. The 3w is either not well fit to you or you have such a mental block with it that it is a waste of space in the bag. 2h can be had pretty cheaply. Look into buying a used 2h at the same specs as your 3h. I did that with my 3h and, while the used 4h didn't stay in the bag, it was a pretty cheap experiment for under $50.