Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3 Wood vs 2 Hybrid

:)

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

• 1 month later...

I actually think more amateurs should skip the 3 wood altogether and go right to a 4 wood or 5 wood. The extra launch helps a ton when hitting it off the deck and I best most golfers would find they actually hit the 4 or 5 wood further than the 3 wood because of that extra launch

I agree, well my instructor agrees. I couldn't hit any 3 wood , without telling me he had me try a club that I hit about 230, it was a Callaway xr 4 wood. I hit it so well haven't looked back.

Now I tried and think I will replace my 5 iron with a Epic heavenwood.

I like that 80% rule. I struggle with my 5 iron maybe time to pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I gave up on my woods this summer. I just carry a 2, 3, and 4 hybrid at the top of my bag. I get on average 250-260 yards off the tee and more control with my 2H. Playing for fairways, dont care about distance anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I'm back and forth on the switch. I was hitting poorly the 3w but the 2h wasnt much better. I've recently put one back in that I can hit straight. My 5 wood is excellent and about 215. My 5hybrid is great and about 190. I'm adding a 4 hybrid for the gap. A well hit 3w is usually only 230, but often gets me in trouble right so for the 15 yards, I'm probably leaving it out. If I cant reach the par 5 with the 5 wood, then I'll lay up. Better a par than a double from a badly hit 3w

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I have a 3 wood which ranges from 14-17 degrees in adjustability.  I slice the 3w all the time and struggle to make consistent strikes. My 3 hybrid doesn't slice and I get a proper launch and flight 90% of the time. It is, in fact, my favorite club in the bag. My 3w goes around 235 yards while my 3 hybrid goes 200-215, depending on far I want to hit it.  I find myself 225-240 away on par 5's and just can't reach the green with the 3h.  I have only hit the 3 wood on course maybe 5 times on course in the last 50 rounds due to my inconsistency with it. 

I need a club for the short accurate tee shots and the approach to par 5's in 2.  I currently hit my 3hybrid on the tee shots because I am still wildly inaccurate with my 3w off the tee 50% of the time.  If I can't reach a par 5 in 2 with my 3h, then I lay up with an iron. It seems like I either have to commit to working on the 3w or trying out a 2h and seeing if it is easier to hit.  I am ok with losing 5-10 yards if I can keep dispersion down.

I assume a 2h is easier to have a consistent strike because the shaft is shorter. Sounds like I need to give it a shot. Thanks everyone

I would say get rid of that 3w or go to fitter and have the shaft looked at, shortened, properly fit, etc. If you can hit your 3h as well as you say then it sounds like your swing is solid. The 3w is either not well fit to you or you have such a mental block with it that it is a waste of space in the bag. 2h can be had pretty cheaply. Look into buying a used 2h at the same specs as your 3h. I did that with my 3h and, while the used 4h didn't stay in the bag, it was a pretty cheap experiment for under $50.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Archived