Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

For The Love of Golf

JohnSmalls

Have been MIA for much longer than I had hoped, largely due to a hectic work schedule and lots of drive time.  I have a lot of catching up to do, but glad to see all of the new guys joining the ranks and posting.

I imagine there has been a similar post to the following questions before but thought this should be a fun series of questions for all.

-What was your first interaction with the game of golf? 

-What was the moment that led to the "this is my kind of game"?

-What currently keeps you going back for more?

-What would you change about the game?

For you more tenured golfers:

-What has been the biggest change in the game since you started?

-What change(s) do you like/dislike?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Welcome back! I missed you!

* watching Tiger on TV, played 9 holes later that week and fell in love!

* same day as above

* the on going chess game with myself

* I would go back in time to Arnie's time, and learn from those guys. There weren't many choices other than blades.

* I saw the 460 drivers take off, the groove rule, and the long putter ban

* see above

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

While I wouldn't exactly call it an introduction, but on my first civilian job, I saw how important golf can be in the business world.

For me, I guess golf was much like drugs,  I didn't realize I was becoming addicted until I was addicted.

Now, golf is the only game that will not kill me, it doesn't require me to run.

There's not much that I would change about the game other than to call divots and sand bunkers ground under repair.

To me, the biggest changes have been access and equipment.   When I first started playing, people would join private clubs just to be able to get tee times, there are a lot more courses available now.   Regarding equipment, nothing is made of wood any more; fairway woods are now fairway metals.  Golf shoes looked like street shoes with spikes and kilties, there were no athletic type shoes.

Riding around in the cart with my dad when I was a kid.

When I was able to compete with my dad and his friends.

The love of the game, the challenges, and the quest to improve.

The rising cost of it  :D 

Graphite shafts, metal/titanium drivers, more durable golf balls and softspikes.

Like - long putter ban, the advances made in the equipment

Dislike - the rising cost of the game (of course you cant have both  :D )

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Great topic!

My first interaction was as a kid living next to a private course. My brothers and I would hop the fence with my dad's persimmon clubs that he kept around and we would play the nearest three holes until it got dark or we saw the security cart.

I didn't think much about golf until my late 20s when buddies stated to play and I started attending work tournaments. The moment I finally nailed a drive was that moment for me.

I keep coming back because I feel I can get to single digits if I keep at it. It's time on my own or with friends that's competitive and fun.

If I could change anything it would be the pace of play some how. Time is precious and finding 5 hours plus to set aside for the game is getting harder. If people would just swing the damn club or roll the damn putt, and get on with it. I would also loosen the play it as it lies rule. If your ball is in a divot in the fairway, you shouldn't have to play a shot like that. This could also speed up pace of play with less shots needed to make the green ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Combination of wanting to spend time with my dad and get out of bible study.

Mediocre at most sports growing up. Tried out for Golf Team the first year I was eligible and made Varsity.

Love the challenge, fresh air and exercise (always walk)

RULES! Time for BIFURCATION. It won't ruin the game, it already exists with course conditioning, marking and management.

Course maintenance and equipment.

That changes in equipment have changed the Men's Tour so dramatically. Players hit 3 wood and an iron to #18 at Erin Hills 600yards +, Seriously?

Welcome back! I missed you!

* watching Tiger on TV, played 9 holes later that week and fell in love!

* same day as above

* the on going chess game with myself

* I would go back in time to Arnie's time, and learn from those guys. There weren't many choices other than blades.

* I saw the 460 drivers take off, the groove rule, and the long putter ban

* see above

Thanks Shanks! It's good to be back among the crew. I'll leave my two cents shortly.

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Awesome getting to see how the game has had a little different impact in everyone's response. One thing is for certain, we all must be gluttons for punishment .

My earliest memory of golf was getting hit in the head by my brother's backswing when I was a very young child after being told not to get too close...whoops. Not the greatest start. But my first positive memory was the excitement during the weekend of Tiger of winning his first major.

After playing one round a year through high school and college and not enjoying it at all, I finally gave golf a real shot at the ripe age of 25.

The golf bug bit me in February. I had the first truly enjoyable round, that made me think that I could actually figure out how to play golf. Because of that sliver of hope, I am addicted to figuring out more and getting better at this game.

If I could make a change I would love having more time in the day and daylight to be able to work and play more during the week. Plus a lower price point so maybe more people would give golf a shot.

@griecot313 I have to see with you on the approach shots at Erin Hills; I was in disbelief at the guys reaching in two. Then again, that's the awesome thing that makes pro sports entertaining, those guys making the impossible come to life.

Gameday

Classic Bag

-First interaction was watching Tiger on TV.

-I first took golf as an extra PE class in my very last term on college because I needed one more credit that term to be considered full time. That kind of got me thinking that this could be a fun game to get into.

-what keeps me coming back for more is hitting a good shot and enjoying the outdoors. Also enjoy playing with friends and have met some nice people along the way.

-change: somehow making it less time consuming. I usually play nine holes at a time and wish courses would have more options (times) for 9.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Have been MIA for much longer than I had hoped, largely due to a hectic work schedule and lots of drive time.  I have a lot of catching up to do, but glad to see all of the new guys joining the ranks and posting.

I imagine there has been a similar post to the following questions before but thought this should be a fun series of questions for all.

What was your first interaction with the game of golf? 

- My stepdad at the time was a golfer. No one else in my immediate family played until he introduced all of us to it when I was about 4. Grew up on the range with him, and used to sneak my clubs on to the course and they'd let me tee off on occasion. I remember this one hole at Angel Park in Vegas where you have to carry a canyon from the tee. They'd let me smash junk balls to see if I could get over it. I was too young to warrant playing the actual round, but I was fine to just tag along and watch. Unfortunately, he passed when I was about 6 from lung cancer. I play to honor and remember him.

What was the moment that led to the "this is my kind of game"?

- I guess the fact that I was decent to begin with at the game. I've always loved basketball, but I'm short by NBA standards, and not blessed with skills like Isiah Thomas and those short guys that eventually made it to the NBA. My whole family started golfing, and our distant family in Hawaii (we lived in Vegas at the time) played as well, so it kind of brought us together.

What currently keeps you going back for more?

- I never really appreciated what golf meant to me. Yeah, I always enjoy playing, but now it just has a deeper meaning while I'm getting older and remembering all of the family rounds. Now, I just want to be as good as I can. I've set a goal to bring my handicap down to single figures within 12 months.

What would you change about the game?

- I think golf needs to catch up to the times. Our current political situation is a joke, I don't know why golf has to be so serious? Not saying I endorse all of the bros getting trashed and making a mockery of the game, but there's some things that could be relaxed, and some progression to be made. I think it's just cruel that the guys on tour have to wear long pants still, it's ####ing hot out there, and they're walking 9 miles. If I ever made it on tour I'd want a club sponsor first, and an underwear sponsor second. Someone that can design anti-swamp junk underwear. Anyone living close to the equator, with some body of water nearby can attest.

What has been the biggest change in the game since you started?

- The data analytics, and club customization. I don't know if maybe I was just young and naive, but I don't remember all the technology back when I was playing regularly ~2005. Seems like a computer can tell you just how bad you suck now, just by reading your club path and ball data. Pretty crazy. Club customization/fitting is new to me as well. I just got fit for my Epic and wow, what a difference a shaft flex makes. Ties back into the data analytics as well - I never thought I had an above-average swing speed. Moving up from a regular flex to stiff seems like I can actually hit a fairway, and my ball flight is much more of a medium-high instead of rainbows. The bad thing about the club customization is I second guess every piece of equipment that hasn't been fit. Now I want to try every shaft flex and weight combo ever. I'm probably going to make the workers at my local store hate me  :rolleyes:

What change(s) do you like/dislike?

- The effect it's having on my bank account wanting to find equipment that fits me better.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

---When I was little my dad joined a country club and the whole family took up lessons, I hated it! 

---Bored in college one day we decided to go play and I had fun with my friends, so I started back up

---Rounds like yesterday, played the best round of my life. Hitting shots that make me go, wow I can play this game

---No Walking during peak times if you're not a great golfer, nothing kills a round than slow play

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Great Questions

I personally was drawn to the game by my grandfather when I was in my teens, my father hated golf (because my grand father loved it). My grandfather took me out to the range and started teaching me.

The first time I crushed a ball 40 yards past a guy that outweighed me by 50 lbs...That's when I knew it was a game for me.

I keep coming back because golf is the only game I know of where you only have yourself to blame, no referees, your opponent doesn't affect you, it's all on you to think and execute shots with tiny margins for error. It's also the only game where you can see so easily where you need to improve and even your best round will still have moments where you could have been better.

Things I would change?

I think there should be a wider variety of course based on ability, I don't understand why there isn't a market for new golfers and the two tournament round golfers where the courses are shorter and even the cups could be bigger. I feel like the game misses out on people having fun sometimes, it wouldn't change where I would play, but I think others would really enjoy a more relaxed environment that is easier.

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great questions. 

I spent two weeks with an uncle, aunt and older cousin in Beaumont, Texas. They gave me a play set with soft rubber balls that I knocked around their backyard. When I got a little older, about 12, that uncle and another in Corpus Christi, Texas gave me a 5-iron and a driver and a bucket of their old balls that I knocked around the cow pasture on our farm.

One extremely hot summer day the Corpus Christi uncle and I walked a 9-hole course in Conroe 5 times.

The mystical quality of the game. I can't really explain it. If you play it, you know.

Right now I'm upset with the USGA and Royal and Ancient about their long putter ruling, but that's really not a biggie for me since I never anchored to begin with. That's just a blip in 500 years of magic. Maybe get more kids interested and make it more affordable. One extra thing that came to mind. I would have more match play pro tournaments. The two most boring days in TV golf are Thursdays and Saturdays. True match play, and not the hybrid that I don't even understand that the PGA has adopted for one tournament, would solve that. Winners and losers every day, by the hour and minute, even.

I first had an interest when my dad got a new set of clubs for his weekend round of golf. The real moment for me was when I was bribed.."QUIT SMOKING" and I would get a set of my own clubs and a membership to play golf daily..UNFORTUNATELY I remain hooked on both.

My Kind of Game!

The long ball off the tee and being able to out drive my peers and my dad when I was able to hit the fairway, thankfully that control issue has been resolved.

Going Back for More!

The joy the sense of accomplishmentwhen your drive is long and straight, or the iron shot that hits the green and spins back to the hole or the double breaking twenty foot putt which finds the hole for and eagle or bird, the splash of sand though the air as your ball floats out of a trap and lands softly on the green and rolls gently into the cup, all bring us back in hopes one can duplicate more rewarding shots.

Change the fee Structure for playing a glorious game that has become cost prohibitive for most..not for profit courses wiuld facilitate greater numbers playing the game of golf.

The biggest changes are the applied technologies from clubs to balls that help average players be so much better.

The use of television for people outside the game to challenge a percieved rule infringement and have them penalized countless hours after they have completed their round.

This posting brought back a lot of memories and perhaps some reasons why we continue to play and enjoy the game its competitive spirit yet time honored traditions where we find so many great friends..great minds do think alike..eh.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Golf has always been in my life. My mom and dad both played so I was exposed a a very early age. My earliest memory I have was a random trip to the range, I must of been 4 or 5, and I caught my driver perfectly. My dad and his buddy just stopped what they were cheering. I was really lucky to have a lot of positive reenforcement.

Nowadays I play for a lot of reasons. I enjoy the group I play with. I like being able to disconnect from my phone for 4 hours and just be outside. I also enjoy the pursuit of beating my lowest score.

My son just turned two and I take him out to the putting green every now and then, he hit just knocked in his first one footer. Seeing how his face lit up has me really excited for the future. Getting the opportunity to show him this amazing game the way my folks taught me has me really excited.

I love how technology has change the game. Club fittings are get cheaper and so are starter off the rack sets. To grow golf has to hurdles, time and money. If the price to start playing golf can continue to fall I feel that the game will grow. It truly is one of the greatest things a family can do together. It can teach honesty and good sportsmanship.

Sorry to drag on I feel like I could type 4 more pages about this.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived