TESTERS WANTED! ×

Reviews - What rocks ya boat?

ole gray

What Rocks Ya Boat?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you look for in equipment, etc. reviews?

• Facts and specs only please!
    • Good information however you can humor me as well
    • Other (reply below)

We all read equipment reviews for different reasons whether it's wisdom before we lay out the big bucks or just curiosity on how the new stuff is working. I personally like good factual information however to keep my attention, there needs to be some light comments here and there to keep me focused. What flicks ya bic when you're reading golf equipment reviews?

Edited by GolfSpy STUDque
Spelling

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I with Shankster on this one I look for a review from a person that is close my age height swing speed and handicap. I think that will get me in the ballpark. When I look at the tour pros I look for players that are close to my size

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I want to hear true likes and dislikes. So many reviews are all about the positive aspects of the product. Everything can't be perfect.

Also, I'm not a big fan of wordy reviews. Hard to read on Tapatalk.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have to agree with the good and bad aspects of the club or product. It's usually a good chunk of cash that I'm dropping on a product so I'd rather hear about some dislikes then find it out myself post purchase. I do also enjoy reviews that have data backing and more real on course analysis. It's great to see numbers, but I do find on course experiences more helpful when looking at different products. Range and such is nice, but at least at the courses I play it's not a ton that I get a perfectly flat lie other then on a tee box.

Also never hurts to have it broken up with some good looking pictures here and there!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I want to hear true likes and dislikes. So many reviews are all about the positive aspects of the product. Everything can't be perfect.

Also, I'm not a big fan of wordy reviews. Hard to read on Tapatalk.

MGS imo was built on this concept. Tell it like it is regardless of what other folks want to hear.   Too many people buy equipment because it's on someone's hot list and when they get it on the course find out it's not what they read in some review.  All the facts and not just the ones that make the equipment manufactures smile must be evident. 

Cleveland

Also I'd like to see at the end of it all if they would recommend say,for example, their good friend to buy the product or not. Always easy to say you would recommend to a group and in reality we know we'd only recommend stuff we really like to our good friends.

I like to see more based on the club and not the person such as:

It sits well with a good look

It does/doesn't sound good.

What a good and bad shot feels like.

I don't really want to know that it made you draw it or reduced your spin because it may not do that for me.

But if you think it sounds like you're hitting a wet paper bag, chances are I will think the same

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I think there is room for some fun in reviews, but there is a point where having too much fun can actually drive readers away because they feel like the review is 1) not being taken seriously and 2) the review cannot possibly be objective.

Give me information. Give me media (photos/videos). But try to do so professionally.  Think of the MGS homepage articles and testing and try to model your review after those, while still putting your own personal twist on it.

MGS imo was built on this concept. Tell it like it is regardless of what other folks want to hear.   Too many people buy equipment because it's on someone's hot list and when they get it on the course find out it's not what they read in some review.  All the facts and not just the ones that make the equipment manufactures smile must be evident.

That's the reason why I'm here in the first place. I think the reviews are pretty good and on point. Even think I don't agree with on the same product reviewed, I can see a solid reason why the point was made.

If I'm reading because I'm interested in the product I'm looking for someone whose game is similar to mine or someone that I know fairly well.

I try to read other reviews to be supportive of the group so there is entertainment.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I wish some reviews would focus more on the feel on the club. I know this can be subjective. More details on what the mis hits do and feel like. We all know that MB blades feel amazing with struck perfectly, and horrible when missed. So something along those lines. I thing a lot of review focus too much on the good hits and not enough on the mishits. Controlling the level of mishits is a great way the average amateur can save a few shots on the course.

Driver reviews have gotten better, in the past I hated that they never mentioned how easy or hard it was to tell if the driver was aligned at setup.

Also numbers for the sake of numbers don't mean anything. I like seeing a comparison. Such as your old 5 iron to the new one.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Reviews will vary based on what is being tested. A training aid, a gps device, golf club should all be reviewed differently. Clubs that aren't readily available should be compared to something common that you could find for comparison. Knowledge/perspective of the tester will also influence the reviews.

What I want to know is what do you normally like and associate that with you current product and tell me how the item being tested compares to that product. Tell me what balls you used in your club testing. What were the conditions of the test. If you are testing a shot tracker and you have to put your phone in your pocket do you wear loose or tight fitting clothes. In the end help me understand your perspective so I can make your subjective answer more objective

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm 99.9% sure that I am the only one who don't read or care about club reviews.

Through personal experience I found that nobody swings or hits the same and without knowing/seeing their swing the reviews are worthless to me. A good example is me & buddy Darrell play almost the exact end game (hdcp,) .. We are so polor opposite that we can't recommend any clubs to each other. Also found the exact same with others.

I just go with personal experience & knowledge of what I like & works for me from general information from the manufacturers. Crude but it works.

Edit to add: that is why I prefer robot info.

When I read any review, golf related or not, I want it to have some type of "fun" vibe surrounding it. Otherwise, I might as well read what the OEM put on the box, because it's all factual straight to the point, WORDS. The occasional smirk or chuckle is good while reading, it makes it feel less like...reading. I'm not really a books type of person, never have been, more visually motivated I guess.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I respectfully disagree Mr jlukes. If they wanted all of the reviews to look like the ones on the blog, why would they select forum members to do up a review?

We are all just regular "Dudes / Ladies", I have no journalism background, photography, and my grammar is horrible.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I see your point, but just my opinion here: No offense, and I truly mean this with the utmost respect, a review that makes me laugh will keep my attention, the dictionary/technical manual does not. This sounds like not the case for you, which is completely ok!

I agree that you can do fun and professional at the same time. But there are a ton of other sites that are strictly business and I avoid them because the review does no justice for the sticks, everyone just seems to write the same thing. I.e. This club performs well from "blank", or the club shed 2 strokes...

Again, not trying to be a jerk. Just a polite rebuttal.

Shanks - you have a ton of passion and my post was in no way a shot at your review style.

I used to be part of another large golfing forum and the reviews over there became a bit comical because everyone was trying to create "exciting" reviews rather than focusing on the content.  Then, other forum members would simply talk about the style of reviews and "thank" the reviewer rather than focusing on the content of the review.  Things snowballed into every review being a rah-rah fest about the equipment and the reviewer without any tangible information about the equipment to be found.

Do I think reviews should be robotic and without personality? Absolutely not!  Do I think having TOO much style can take away from the substance of a review - absolutely.

Do I think reviews should be robotic and without personality? Absolutely not!  Do I think having TOO much style can take away from the substance of a review - absolutely.

It's a fine line for sure, have to navigate it carefully. Like a downhill left to right 5' putt to win the match - easy to miss.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

... Great topic! I have been writing reviews for almost 15 years and try to give it a combination of facts and fun. It isn't easy. One thing I really don't like is reviewers trying to be clever. I always enjoy genuine clever but not when someone is trying to be clever and just isn't. I find quite a few reviews from the MSG staff fall into that category but not here on the forum. I am not a fan of reviews that think the rest of the golfing world share their view. Golf clubs are not sexy, have nothing to do with sex and if they did it would be S&M so I always feel that reviewer needs to actually have sex more often (and with a partner) to have a proper reference point.  Reviews need to appeal to a millennial or a get off my lawn senior so don't slant it to a white belt, white shoes and a flat brimmed hat listening to rap on a cart speaker or a khaki, black belt/thin socks and bucket hat player that would only entertain a Sinatra tune and even then only in the clubhouse entertaining a proper scotch with perhaps a splash of water and certainly no ice. 

... I also think describing your swing style and making comparisons to others is a big help in reviews. For instance I might say with a  smooth swing and transition and a 100mph swing speed the Matrix Black Tie in a M1 felt boardy and produced a low trajectory but someone with a fast transition and/or higher swing speed should demo this combo. And a description of feel and sound is a necessity today. The Fly Z+ was the loudest and most obnoxious head I have hit next to the Sumo SQ yet I have seen some describe it as the best sounding and feeling head they ever hit. While I think the Epic is the best sounding and feeling modern head I have hit, I have heard more than a few say it feels and sounds dead. So I will be more descriptive saying "I grew up with persimmon woods and prefer the deep and dense sound/feel of the Epic but those of you that like a more metallic and explosive sound/feel will probably not like the Epic and might wanna look at the Srixon 545." 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My "no background" was just a blanket statement. I used to want to be a journalist, then I got a D- in ENG101.

haha My wife is always correcting my grammar....   I mean it keeps her busy from sun up to sun down.   In fact I would bet I'm borderline on being the worst at any sort of journalism stuff on the planet.   With that said, I don't think it would be appropriate to make folks think that if they're not up town with proper English and stuff, that they have no business writing reviews. There's all sorts of styles out there and there's all sorts of readers out there.  For me I tend to go all ADHD reading a long drawn out technical type reviews. I need a little something that draws my attention back to the subject. 

I do agree with Joe that once a person is  selected to review a product, we should take it seriously and give it our best shot. I detest folks who are picked to review stuff and take it and run without 2 cents worth of work.  Personally I say grab the opportunity if you have something to offer and don't put pressure trying to be a "professional" staff writer.  Not everybody was blessed with that type skill. 

Talk your talk and walk your walk and respect the opportunity you are given when chosen to review.  Never ever try to be perfect because when you do, the creativity is spoiled. 

Cleveland

I don't read a lot of reviews. Unless Its a guy I know well and he's in my age group and with similar playing abilities. The other reason is because I'm just not in the market for any golf equipment and probably won't be for some time. Therefore no interest. Another reason is because I prefer short and to the point articles when I read. I think the reviews get strung along for too long.

MGS is unique in the way they construct their reviews but it's a little much and drawn out for me. The unboxing thing is a waste of time IMO.

Having said all that... MGS and many of the reviewers do excellent work.. and it is work to a certain extent. So keep up the good work and if I get in the market for anything new I'll check the reviews on MGS first.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm relatively new to the site so I've been reading the different reviews that have been completed so far.

I haven't had a problem with any of the different styles and do enjoy a bit of humor thrown in.

I am personally interested in iron reviews because I want to upgrade this fall.

So keep up the good work.

As u can tell my grammar also sucks. Hate Apple correcting.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

There are several types of reviewers. When I was riding mountain bike exclusively, I was involved in the forum as well, started doing random reviews of products I bought or own, the thru my connection and reputation some small companies started sending me some products for review. While they don't ask me to put a positive spin to their product, they do ask if I don't disclose a few things due to some occasions prototypes not production.

Freebies are nice and I love them I won't lie, I didn't omit any pros and cons but I did go the extra miles(literally)to find extra pros for them. I tried to relate and paint the pictures of how fellow riders can benefit from the products, I'd also include the type of riders I think would be perfect for.

Since I'm also a user of the products it often come up on different threads as well. Good news is they are still sending me some prototype to review or simply feedback. I can spot my type of reviewer from miles away:)

Hard numbers, data and facts. If you can prove one thing is going to do more of what you want ( distance or spin or whatever) given the same perameters then it's better.

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

The hard numbers and data should come from the MGS review. Very difficult for normal reviewers to have access to the equipment needed for that info.

Honestly people read too much into what forum reviewers should do. Do the best you can and answer any questions you can about the product.

I would like to say thank you to all that offered their take on reviews as I will be starting my first for MGS soon. I can see this will be fun, nerve racking, and hopefully a learning experience for me. Please don't hesitate to give me feedback. Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W