TESTERS WANTED! ×

Reviews - What rocks ya boat?

ole gray

What Rocks Ya Boat?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you look for in equipment, etc. reviews?

• Facts and specs only please!
    • Good information however you can humor me as well
    • Other (reply below)

I read reviews because I love to see how the "new tech" is to actually play, you spend so much time being pushed to favor certain manufacturers I love reading unbiased reviews by people that play the game like I do. I don't really need to know that DJ gained an extra 10 yards with the "New" driver...That's lovely for him, but I could really care less as my swing is 112 not 127. I love seeing how the lower priced brands stacks up against the big boys as well.

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... To nobody in particular, but I am always a little surprised to see the talk about "equipment hype". We don't live in Romania and it is just capitalism at work. I mean you don't see ads for refrigerators saying "we just keep your food cold" or even shirts "we cover your body to keep you warm, nothing more nothing less". Golf equipment isn't any different than any other product sold in the US. I don't think I have ever found any dishonest or hype above and beyond simple sales 101. "longer, straighter, better" and "advanced material design to increase performance" is pretty much standard for every club. 

... I piked up an Epic driver after hitting one and loved the look, sound and feel. I will be pleasantly surprised if it produces lower spin like my SLDR combined with the forgiveness of my Fly Z all in one package. And even then I would expect a few more yards and as tight or slightly tighter dispersion. But most likely I will experience a different look, sound and feel with performance pretty much identical to what I have in my bag now and I am OK with that. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... To nobody in particular, but I am always a little surprised to see the talk about "equipment hype". We don't live in Romania and it is just capitalism at work. I mean you don't see ads for refrigerators saying "we just keep your food cold" or even shirts "we cover your body to keep you warm, nothing more nothing less". Golf equipment isn't any different than any other product sold in the US. I don't think I have ever found any dishonest or hype above and beyond simple sales 101. "longer, straighter, better" and "advanced material design to increase performance" is pretty much standard for every club.

... I piked up an Epic driver after hitting one and loved the look, sound and feel. I will be pleasantly surprised if it produces lower spin like my SLDR combined with the forgiveness of my Fly Z all in one package. And even then I would expect a few more yards and as tight or slightly tighter dispersion. But most likely I will experience a different look, sound and feel with performance pretty much identical to what I have in my bag now and I am OK with that.

I agree with the sales 101 comment and I completely agree that the brands are just selling product, but for me I like the unbiased reviews against that brands that I dont have an opportunity to try at my local shops (Wilson, Srixon etc.) I live in an area that is dominated by 4-5 brands, so the reviews of the other stuff I have to buy online is very helpful for someone like myself.

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I want real world info whether you like or not, if I wanted to hear that every new piece of equipment was the best thing out there I would just read the press releases from the OEM's.

If the equipment fits your game and helps you enjoy the game more then great...but we all know that not every new club or ball is for everybody, so if that's the case tell me why it's not working for you.

And throwing in some light hearted comments helps a lot too.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I like the stage one style that is done here. It gives us a chance to get to know the background and personality of the reviewer. That helps when it gets to the actual review to know where he or she is coming from and kinda know if the results are similar to what you might expect.

I like to hear about areas the product struggled to perform well or consistently. You won't read or hear that in the manufactures into. Or even in some reviews that make no attempt to be unbiased.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I didn't think you were implying anything about my review style.

I know where you are coming from and I completely agree about too much of a good thing...

Give real life feedback. It's why we are here!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I like the different styles that each reviewer brings here. I put a lot more faith in peer reviews on this forum. We are all golfers because of our passion for the sport. Many of us here don't earn a living in golf so the only skin we have in the review is our pride to supply the best information possible. The reviews here directly reflect the personality of the reviewers and you can easily see see that in the first couple of sentences. Sometimes I find myself reading past reviews just to be entertained instead of being interested in the product. But then I may learn something new and the next time someone mentions something in my foursome I can chime in and direct them to this forum.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

It's not #TBT but somehow the poll for this thread appeared...

So, imho, anyone can publish a set of specs and some LM numbers. One of the main .. if not the  .. highlight that drew me into this site is the real-person subjective reviews - that's what helps me understand if some new thing may be a good fit for me or not.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

One of the main .. if not the  .. highlight that drew me into this site is the real-person subjective reviews - that's what helps me understand if some new thing may be a good fit for

I first found the forum here looking at the reviews of the Callaway Steelhead irons a couple of years ago. You guys did a great job, btw. While I like watching YouTube reviews of clubs, seeing how those of us that aren't golf professionals hit clubs really appeals to me. I admire the honesty and critique from the folks here. 

It's also refreshing to see the different approach and writing styles here. I think journalistic reviews follow a basic pattern and stick to the same template. It gets boring, to be honest. Humor sprinkled with a little self depreciation, tales of woe and glory really catch my attention. Plus the golf knowledge of our members is off the chart. I know I can read something here and know I'm getting an honest, no b.s. take on equipment. 

• 3 years later...

Old thread, but as we head into 2024 what do you say? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I still say the absolute best reviews are ones that are brutally honest and based more on real world use vs filled with launch monitor stats. If someone has issues with what they are reviewing out on the course, I want to hear about it. Fawning, glowing reviews don’t always ring true to me for some reason. That every piece of gear is perfect. I want to hear about what viewers don’t like about things, I find that far more insightful time after time. Especially if it’s user submitted reviews, I really like to see comparisons to the clubs that are being replaced, or tested against. Pros and cons. Likes and dislikes.

Edited by russtopherb

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Reading about all the different tech, equipment, and real world stories about it. Can't lie, my eyes have definitely been opened beyond what I thought golf was!

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

6 hours ago, Shankster said:

Good humor.

Agree, but without a million gifs. Those for me are really distracting in a review when they are everywhere. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I want facts, photos, and honesty. If there is a reason someone likes it or dislikes it.

I don't think because someone dislikes something that it means a product is bad.  It could mean it's just not the right fit for them, but if the info is there and thorough it may still be a good fit for someone else. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

I don't think because someone dislikes something that it means a product is bad.  It could mean it's just not the right fit for them, but if the info is there and thorough it may still be a good fit for someone else. 

This is what does make review writing very hard at times. Have I had items for review that were not great fits for me? Of course. And I tried to highlight that in my reviews. But ultimately, there are few truly bad products out there. It does feel somewhat weird almost always giving high marks to things, but at the end of the day the products we get to review on here are usually pretty solid. In doing one review each year since 2019, I can only think of a few things in my mind that were truly "issues" and they were very minor.

A good review is clear, concise yet thorough, and engaging. Some of the best product reviews I've seen over the years come from the banter and updates inside of the review thread. It's also fun to see the product highlighted in different ways (which is why the Cobra challenges are great - they force some interesting uses of clubs).

I also appreciate reviewers that show a commitment to evaluating the product. It is usually pretty easy to see reviews where not a lot of effort went into the process. I understand everyone has varying levels of free time to use for golf, but getting to review items is a privilege and those reviews usually stick out.

Edited by edingc

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

This is what does make review writing very hard at times. Have I had items for review that were not great fits for me? Of course. And I tried to highlight that in my reviews. But ultimately, there are few truly bad products out there. It does feel somewhat weird almost always giving high marks to things, but at the end of the day the products we get to review on here are usually pretty solid. In doing one review each year since 2019, I can only think of a few things in my mind that were truly "issues" and they were very minor.

A good review is clear, concise yet thorough, and engaging. Some of the best product reviews I've seen over the years come from the banter and updates inside of the review thread. It's also fun to see the product highlighted in different ways (which is why the Cobra challenges are great - they force some interesting uses of clubs).

I also appreciate reviewers that show a commitment to evaluating the product. It is usually pretty easy to see reviews where not a lot of effort went into the process. I understand everyone has varying levels of free time to use for golf, but getting to review items is a privilege and those reviews usually stick out.

More to come this season on standout reviews... Hint hint. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I appreciate some humor and perhaps some witty comments but a healthy dose of hard data and thorough analysis is key. In the end I’m not worried about whether you like it or not. But rather why you do and following how you came to that conclusion. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Lotta great, really great, comments posted above!!

One of the aspects that I personally like a lot are the Intro's!  I just think it's kinda fun getting the "up close and personal" of the reviewer -  and, of course, learning if this person's golf game is anywhere near analogous to mine .. ergo their findings will matter to me.

Next... My opinions on presenting data - I'll be a different a bit here and state imho data is most useful when...

• it's CLEAR, concise and understandable without a lot of additional explanation; and 
  • it's DIRECTLY related to the issue being discussed.

With the abundance of personal LMs and indoor sim studios it's too easy to generate a set of numbers...

... But numbers without context are not meaningful.

Data in the reviews is important, but .. again imho .. data that directly supports the reviewer's context is the most important.

So bottom line I guess I'm looking more at the subjective - did the reviewer (1) like the club, training aid, etc.? .. and (2) feel that the club, training aid, whatever helped then improve their golf swing and their golf game? .. and (3) in their estimation, why?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

11 hours ago, Preeway said:

I appreciate some humor and perhaps some witty comments but a healthy dose of hard data and thorough analysis is key. In the end I’m not worried about whether you like it or not. But rather why you do and following how you came to that conclusion. 

... They can't do it for all tests of course but I really appreciated reading posts in the Cobra Anniversary thread. Having 2 low index, 2 mid index and 2 higher index players all using similar clubs was crazy interesting to see how the different index's played the same clubs. I think everyone but myownself used the max aerojet fairway woods so everyone got to read a perspective from every index with the exact same clubs. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Last spring I went for a fitting but prior to that I tried out a lot of different brands at a couple pgatss during the year leading up to that.  I read many reviews here and found the informal reviews to be as beneficial or more than the formal reviews. 

What appeals to me are reviews with basic information regarding look, feel and how they performed for the particular individual.  Mote valuable when the writer describes their typical misses and swing flaws.  The comments to those reviews gives a good variety of opinions which is all that I’d be looking for. My only issue with some of the formal reviews - some get overly wordy and start to meander.  

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

• 1 month later...

Shout out to @ole gray for this thread... lots of new members here. What do you all think?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

With the growth of the merchandise out there, and the number of members, it is a positive advancement having these reviews available. 

I for one have enjoyed the different facets of the tests and the perspective from golfers of different skill levels.  A high handicapper may praise it, and a low handicapper may not.  Their suggestions carry alot of worthiness with me.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Shout out to @ole gray for this thread... lots of new members here. What do you all think?

Thanks, partner!  Yeah, it's a good time for all those interested in reviews to sound off on what they'd like to see. I predict a big year of testing! 💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

12 hours ago, Rob Person said:

With the growth of the merchandise out there, and the number of members, it is a positive advancement having these reviews available. 

I for one have enjoyed the different facets of the tests and the perspective from golfers of different skill levels.  A high handicapper may praise it, and a low handicapper may not.  Their suggestions carry alot of worthiness with me.

We do our best to spread the handicaps and abilities as much as possible. It's also why we have the player profiles which give us a little extra insight into the type of tester or golfer that person may be!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW