Reviews - What rocks ya boat?

What Rocks Ya Boat?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you look for in equipment, etc. reviews?

• Facts and specs only please!
    • Good information however you can humor me as well
    • Other (reply below)

Our Sponsors

My "no background" was just a blanket statement. I used to want to be a journalist, then I got a D- in ENG101.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Do I think reviews should be robotic and without personality? Absolutely not!  Do I think having TOO much style can take away from the substance of a review - absolutely.

It's a fine line for sure, have to navigate it carefully. Like a downhill left to right 5' putt to win the match - easy to miss.

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

... Great topic! I have been writing reviews for almost 15 years and try to give it a combination of facts and fun. It isn't easy. One thing I really don't like is reviewers trying to be clever. I always enjoy genuine clever but not when someone is trying to be clever and just isn't. I find quite a few reviews from the MSG staff fall into that category but not here on the forum. I am not a fan of reviews that think the rest of the golfing world share their view. Golf clubs are not sexy, have nothing to do with sex and if they did it would be S&M so I always feel that reviewer needs to actually have sex more often (and with a partner) to have a proper reference point.  Reviews need to appeal to a millennial or a get off my lawn senior so don't slant it to a white belt, white shoes and a flat brimmed hat listening to rap on a cart speaker or a khaki, black belt/thin socks and bucket hat player that would only entertain a Sinatra tune and even then only in the clubhouse entertaining a proper scotch with perhaps a splash of water and certainly no ice. 

... I also think describing your swing style and making comparisons to others is a big help in reviews. For instance I might say with a  smooth swing and transition and a 100mph swing speed the Matrix Black Tie in a M1 felt boardy and produced a low trajectory but someone with a fast transition and/or higher swing speed should demo this combo. And a description of feel and sound is a necessity today. The Fly Z+ was the loudest and most obnoxious head I have hit next to the Sumo SQ yet I have seen some describe it as the best sounding and feeling head they ever hit. While I think the Epic is the best sounding and feeling modern head I have hit, I have heard more than a few say it feels and sounds dead. So I will be more descriptive saying "I grew up with persimmon woods and prefer the deep and dense sound/feel of the Epic but those of you that like a more metallic and explosive sound/feel will probably not like the Epic and might wanna look at the Srixon 545." 

• Like 9

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

My "no background" was just a blanket statement. I used to want to be a journalist, then I got a D- in ENG101.

haha My wife is always correcting my grammar....   I mean it keeps her busy from sun up to sun down.   In fact I would bet I'm borderline on being the worst at any sort of journalism stuff on the planet.   With that said, I don't think it would be appropriate to make folks think that if they're not up town with proper English and stuff, that they have no business writing reviews. There's all sorts of styles out there and there's all sorts of readers out there.  For me I tend to go all ADHD reading a long drawn out technical type reviews. I need a little something that draws my attention back to the subject. 

I do agree with Joe that once a person is  selected to review a product, we should take it seriously and give it our best shot. I detest folks who are picked to review stuff and take it and run without 2 cents worth of work.  Personally I say grab the opportunity if you have something to offer and don't put pressure trying to be a "professional" staff writer.  Not everybody was blessed with that type skill. 

Talk your talk and walk your walk and respect the opportunity you are given when chosen to review.  Never ever try to be perfect because when you do, the creativity is spoiled. 

• Like 4

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I don't read a lot of reviews. Unless Its a guy I know well and he's in my age group and with similar playing abilities. The other reason is because I'm just not in the market for any golf equipment and probably won't be for some time. Therefore no interest. Another reason is because I prefer short and to the point articles when I read. I think the reviews get strung along for too long.

MGS is unique in the way they construct their reviews but it's a little much and drawn out for me. The unboxing thing is a waste of time IMO.

Having said all that... MGS and many of the reviewers do excellent work.. and it is work to a certain extent. So keep up the good work and if I get in the market for anything new I'll check the reviews on MGS first.

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm relatively new to the site so I've been reading the different reviews that have been completed so far.

I haven't had a problem with any of the different styles and do enjoy a bit of humor thrown in.

I am personally interested in iron reviews because I want to upgrade this fall.

So keep up the good work.

As u can tell my grammar also sucks. Hate Apple correcting.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

There are several types of reviewers. When I was riding mountain bike exclusively, I was involved in the forum as well, started doing random reviews of products I bought or own, the thru my connection and reputation some small companies started sending me some products for review. While they don't ask me to put a positive spin to their product, they do ask if I don't disclose a few things due to some occasions prototypes not production.

Freebies are nice and I love them I won't lie, I didn't omit any pros and cons but I did go the extra miles(literally)to find extra pros for them. I tried to relate and paint the pictures of how fellow riders can benefit from the products, I'd also include the type of riders I think would be perfect for.

Since I'm also a user of the products it often come up on different threads as well. Good news is they are still sending me some prototype to review or simply feedback. I can spot my type of reviewer from miles away:)

Hard numbers, data and facts. If you can prove one thing is going to do more of what you want ( distance or spin or whatever) given the same perameters then it's better.

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

The hard numbers and data should come from the MGS review. Very difficult for normal reviewers to have access to the equipment needed for that info.

Honestly people read too much into what forum reviewers should do. Do the best you can and answer any questions you can about the product.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would like to say thank you to all that offered their take on reviews as I will be starting my first for MGS soon. I can see this will be fun, nerve racking, and hopefully a learning experience for me. Please don't hesitate to give me feedback. Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I read reviews because I love to see how the "new tech" is to actually play, you spend so much time being pushed to favor certain manufacturers I love reading unbiased reviews by people that play the game like I do. I don't really need to know that DJ gained an extra 10 yards with the "New" driver...That's lovely for him, but I could really care less as my swing is 112 not 127. I love seeing how the lower priced brands stacks up against the big boys as well.

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

... To nobody in particular, but I am always a little surprised to see the talk about "equipment hype". We don't live in Romania and it is just capitalism at work. I mean you don't see ads for refrigerators saying "we just keep your food cold" or even shirts "we cover your body to keep you warm, nothing more nothing less". Golf equipment isn't any different than any other product sold in the US. I don't think I have ever found any dishonest or hype above and beyond simple sales 101. "longer, straighter, better" and "advanced material design to increase performance" is pretty much standard for every club. 

... I piked up an Epic driver after hitting one and loved the look, sound and feel. I will be pleasantly surprised if it produces lower spin like my SLDR combined with the forgiveness of my Fly Z all in one package. And even then I would expect a few more yards and as tight or slightly tighter dispersion. But most likely I will experience a different look, sound and feel with performance pretty much identical to what I have in my bag now and I am OK with that. 

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

... To nobody in particular, but I am always a little surprised to see the talk about "equipment hype". We don't live in Romania and it is just capitalism at work. I mean you don't see ads for refrigerators saying "we just keep your food cold" or even shirts "we cover your body to keep you warm, nothing more nothing less". Golf equipment isn't any different than any other product sold in the US. I don't think I have ever found any dishonest or hype above and beyond simple sales 101. "longer, straighter, better" and "advanced material design to increase performance" is pretty much standard for every club.

... I piked up an Epic driver after hitting one and loved the look, sound and feel. I will be pleasantly surprised if it produces lower spin like my SLDR combined with the forgiveness of my Fly Z all in one package. And even then I would expect a few more yards and as tight or slightly tighter dispersion. But most likely I will experience a different look, sound and feel with performance pretty much identical to what I have in my bag now and I am OK with that.

I agree with the sales 101 comment and I completely agree that the brands are just selling product, but for me I like the unbiased reviews against that brands that I dont have an opportunity to try at my local shops (Wilson, Srixon etc.) I live in an area that is dominated by 4-5 brands, so the reviews of the other stuff I have to buy online is very helpful for someone like myself.

Sent from my LG-H812 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I want real world info whether you like or not, if I wanted to hear that every new piece of equipment was the best thing out there I would just read the press releases from the OEM's.

If the equipment fits your game and helps you enjoy the game more then great...but we all know that not every new club or ball is for everybody, so if that's the case tell me why it's not working for you.

And throwing in some light hearted comments helps a lot too.

• Like 3

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I like the stage one style that is done here. It gives us a chance to get to know the background and personality of the reviewer. That helps when it gets to the actual review to know where he or she is coming from and kinda know if the results are similar to what you might expect.

I like to hear about areas the product struggled to perform well or consistently. You won't read or hear that in the manufactures into. Or even in some reviews that make no attempt to be unbiased.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I didn't think you were implying anything about my review style.

I know where you are coming from and I completely agree about too much of a good thing...

Give real life feedback. It's why we are here!

I like the different styles that each reviewer brings here. I put a lot more faith in peer reviews on this forum. We are all golfers because of our passion for the sport. Many of us here don't earn a living in golf so the only skin we have in the review is our pride to supply the best information possible. The reviews here directly reflect the personality of the reviewers and you can easily see see that in the first couple of sentences. Sometimes I find myself reading past reviews just to be entertained instead of being interested in the product. But then I may learn something new and the next time someone mentions something in my foursome I can chime in and direct them to this forum.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not #TBT but somehow the poll for this thread appeared...

So, imho, anyone can publish a set of specs and some LM numbers. One of the main .. if not the  .. highlight that drew me into this site is the real-person subjective reviews - that's what helps me understand if some new thing may be a good fit for me or not.

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

One of the main .. if not the  .. highlight that drew me into this site is the real-person subjective reviews - that's what helps me understand if some new thing may be a good fit for

I first found the forum here looking at the reviews of the Callaway Steelhead irons a couple of years ago. You guys did a great job, btw. While I like watching YouTube reviews of clubs, seeing how those of us that aren't golf professionals hit clubs really appeals to me. I admire the honesty and critique from the folks here. 

It's also refreshing to see the different approach and writing styles here. I think journalistic reviews follow a basic pattern and stick to the same template. It gets boring, to be honest. Humor sprinkled with a little self depreciation, tales of woe and glory really catch my attention. Plus the golf knowledge of our members is off the chart. I know I can read something here and know I'm getting an honest, no b.s. take on equipment. 

• Like 4