Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Official Forum Member Review - Srixon Q STAR Tour 3-Piece Golf Balls

Ok, so I skimmed a little through all your reviews. First great job. Second I was mostly focussed on durability because on a golf trip in June I found a QStar and played it. It seemed great. I figured I give them a try. I bought some and the durability didn't seem the same as the one I found. After one shot I took with my 9 iron, I found pieces of the ball in the grooves. Up till then this ball had only gotten wet from the grass. So I was disappointed. Your reviews seemed to like the durability. No one had any similar problem like mine?

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You still using the illegal square grooves?  LOL  

I haven't had this experience either.  Just marks from cart paths, which every ball is going to do.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually purchased this ball from my local pro shop to try at the beginning of the year.  They were having a sale trying to introduce their new products for this year, 6 balls for $10.  I normally play the Z-Star XV as I perform the best when my swing speed for my driver stays right around 108.  I thought that with it being a little colder out still I would give this a shot.  I wasn't disappointed!  The ball performed just as I wanted it with it being a little colder out at the beginning of the season.  I was seeing nice grab around the green.  Putting felt great and it felt good off the driver.  Once it started to warm up, I noticed that I was losing a bit of distance on it.  I ended up switching back to the Z-Star XV.  I do really feel like Srixon tapped into a market for slower swing speeds looking for that tour quality.  I 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Ok, so I skimmed a little through all your reviews. First great job. Second I was mostly focussed on durability because on a golf trip in June I found a QStar and played it. It seemed great. I figured I give them a try. I bought some and the durability didn't seem the same as the one I found. After one shot I took with my 9 iron, I found pieces of the ball in the grooves. Up till then this ball had only gotten wet from the grass. So I was disappointed. Your reviews seemed to like the durability. No one had any similar problem like mine?

I had great experience with durability. Unlike a few times I have used prov's and scraped them with my wedges these held up great. Only scuffs came from something that warranted it (path, railroad equipment etc)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I'm getting one more round in tomorrow afternoon. I'll have round 2 up by the end of the week

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the write ups, guys! I'm really interested in these, the price is just so good on them. I have an opportunity to get 6 dozen for $100 which is a great deal but not if they are balls I don't want to play. So, here's my question; do they really compare to a tour ball? I saw some guys saying they are designed for slower swing speeds? Is this the case or are they ok for someone in the 105-110mph range?

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Thats about my swing speed and honestly will be switching to these next season full time

Thanks for the write ups, guys! I'm really interested in these, the price is just so good on them. I have an opportunity to get 6 dozen for $100 which is a great deal but not if they are balls I don't want to play. So, here's my question; do they really compare to a tour ball? I saw some guys saying they are designed for slower swing speeds? Is this the case or are they ok for someone in the 105-110mph range?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Thats about my swing speed and honestly will be switching to these next season full time

I think you just sold 6 dozen golf balls for Srixon, commission check should be in the mail!  :D  Thanks again for the reviews, without them, I think I would have settled for tried and true/less value.

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

I think you just sold 6 dozen golf balls for Srixon, commission check should be in the mail!  :D  Thanks again for the reviews, without them, I think I would have settled for tried and true/less value.

Is this a deal somewhere, where others can get it? If so mind sharing? 

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Is this a deal somewhere, where others can get it? If so mind sharing? 

Haha, sorry man, I was just kidding around! I don't think we get to be Srixon sales reps!

My swing speed is right there and I've switched to gaming these. These are easier to compress for sure but I wouldn't say for "slow swing speeds" just not tour level. I for one don't lose distance and do not feel like the ball is too soft.

Haha, sorry man, I was just kidding around! I don't think we get to be Srixon sales reps!

Haha, I mean the 6 Doz for $100, because thats an awesome deal!

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Ok I'm a huge fan of these now!  I bought a dozen a couple weeks back and have been putting one in play now and then.   I love the feel and distance off the tee and these puppies bite like they're after the mailman. There were two approach shots today where the ball even hopped backwards a couple or so feet.  I was thinking dayuuuuuummmm  my old arse spun em back!   That's pretty much a kin to me eating a cannon ball melon in one sitting.  :blink:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My swing speed is right in the same range and i've tried a sample sleeve from Newballcoach and i have to say they are a nice ball. I do see a little bit of distance loss vs my usual Project A's and the Vice Pro's that i'm currently testing, but durability wise they are excellent and the spin in the green is great too.  

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Golfinnut's Stage 2 is Live! 

I swing around the same speed. You will be fine driving the ball. IMO when I tested these, the spin does not compare to a tour ball. I would call it a tourISH ball, where you will get some characteristics of a tour ball but you won't get the very high spin numbers of the best balls. Like I said in my review, it's a good ball, but not tour-level

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

When I found the first one, I did not have this problem either. It's possible, one of the new one I bought got scuffed and had some skin hanging off and a little wet conditions, it got wedged in the grooves or I'm just a powerfull beast and killed the cover off. But, I'm betting it's the former, not the latter.

My Srixon Q Star Stage 1 is up and Stage 2 will be coming at the end of next week!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Still loving this ball!!  

That is all :) 

Have to add another pro to this ball. Had a terrible ball striking round the other day and our group wanted to play 18 more. I'd already lost a few Chrome Softs so I decided to game the QST ''I've only lost 2 since I got them". Ball striking was still terrible but the QST was at least staying in play. Shot 90 the first round with the CS and shot 83 with the QST. As bad as my swing was that day, the ball definitely helped me score better.

"Oh and I didn't lose a QST that day either 😉"

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

Love the feel of this ball off every club in the bag.  Irons are crisp, driver is great .... but off the putter is where this ball shines for me.  It has given me the utmost confidence in my putting.  I have averaged putts per round the last 3 rounds I have played with it.  26, 28, 26 .... draining putts from everywhere.  And the one's I miss are not far off either.  A lot of lip outs.  It just seems to hold it's line really well ... no wobbling.  I haven't done anything different in my setup or stroke either ... that's what's strange.  I'm definitely not complaining.  This ball will definitely be in my bag for quite some time.

Thanks again to MGS for introducing me to it & allowing me to put in play for review.  Srixon made a great ball! 

The q star in action once again

It backs up nice and feels so good off the face f0464539a59a9b7648395b8e93be5271.jpg55d6a5cf47e26f9b9662b1c4c215c904.jpge1c764aa01685e93980c3ab491699576.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

After giving this ball a second chance, I may have to revise my review. I have finally figured out pitching, chipping and putting with this ball and will be seriously considering purchasing another dozen soon...

Screenshot_20170828-085849.png

Screenshot_20170828-085902.png

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

After giving this ball a second chance, I may have to revise my review. I have finally figured out pitching, chipping and putting with this ball and will be seriously considering purchasing another dozen soon...

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20170828-085849.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20170828-085902.png

Dude you'd be tearing it up if you could get rid of those Doubles!  

Dude you'd be tearing it up if you could get rid of those Doubles!

Doubles are the bane of my existence...

Best round I ever shot was a 74 last year, while very impressive for me, it also included 2 doubles 😂

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

Doubles are the bane of my existence...

Best round I ever shot was a 74 last year, while very impressive for me it also included 2 doubles

See ... like I said, get rid of those doubles and it's an under par round.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• 2 weeks later...

Still loving this ball!  That is all  :D

FYI .. Dick's has the Q-STAR Tour Yellow on clearance @ $17.98/dozen; plus free shipping on orders over $25.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Gotta give you some" crap" since I have not talked to you in a while.I see you finally got you some golf clubs with the Apex CF 16s and other Callaway equipment.  I did a blue print on my Cally 2013 forged x irons and they are fixing to go back in the front line bag. 

One question I have for you and anyone else. From the pics the ball appears to have some funky dimples sorta like some of the Asian Titleists I got hold of a while back. I have not seen any of these in person so maybe it is just how they look on the screen. In the past I had some durability issues with the old Z Stars as far as peeling on the wedges and short irons. At the time I was doing R&D for Championship Golf LLC with the Infiniti line of equipment and had a set of prototype TS-10 forged CBs which I was informed was conforming. Now I did play the Soft Feels for about a year and never had any durability issues. Like you I lost a lot of weight and got to turning through the ball and my SS actually increased. Ended up losing distance with the Soft Feels and went back to the Pro V. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Gotta give you some" crap" since I have not talked to you in a while.I see you finally got you some golf clubs with the Apex CF 16s and other Callaway equipment. I did a blue print on my Cally 2013 forged x irons and they are fixing to go back in the front line bag.

One question I have for you and anyone else. From the pics the ball appears to have some funky dimples sorta like some of the Asian Titleists I got hold of a while back. I have not seen any of these in person so maybe it is just how they look on the screen. In the past I had some durability issues with the old Z Stars as far as peeling on the wedges and short irons. At the time I was doing R&D for Championship Golf LLC with the Infiniti line of equipment and had a set of prototype TS-10 forged CBs which I was informed was conforming. Now I did play the Soft Feels for about a year and never had any durability issues. Like you I lost a lot of weight and got to turning through the ball and my SS actually increased. Ended up losing distance with the Soft Feels and went back to the Pro V.

As far as the dimples go I haven't seen anything funky going on. As mentioned before the durability is pretty good. I know what you're talking about with the z-stars in the past I've had a few peel but the QST hasn't done that to me yet. On the few QST's I have had peel it's been because I hit them into a tree. The cool thing is it hasn't affected performance one bit. The ball still does what it is meant to with a scrape here and there. My swing speed is somewhat fast and this is by far the best distance ball for me. Just my .02 hope it helps.

Archived