poprocksncoke

Stephen Curry

I think it can only help bring more exposure to the game, seeing young superstar athletes play golf and respect the game can only help

I'm excited for him to play. The guy's got game and he'll draw crowds. Even if it puts an actual Web.com player out for a week, it's still one guy for one week. And if this supposed player is so bad that he won't have a spot because of Curry then the decision will probably have little bearing on his career trajectory - at least this season.

The guy sitting out for Steph wouldn't have the opportunity to earn money if it weren't for sponsors. When the money says they want Steph to play, you let Steph play. He's also playing for charity so it's a bigger bonus from a PR standpoint.

Look at it this way...  A guy that probably nobody knows gets an exemption.  He needs that exemption because he didn't qualify by other means.  Getting the exemption might only benefit him, if he makes the cut.  By giving the exemption to Curry, he attracts large crowds and people will follow him.  More tickets are sold, and that benefits the charities supporting kids in the Bay area.  I think the sponsor has their priorities right.

• Like 2

They made a special spot for him from what I read, it didn't take away from any golfers.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Curry shoots 74 in round 1, not bad for a basketball player  :D

The crowd around him was pretty crazy. Hopefully now people will understand why he was given the spot..

• Like 2

Curry shoots 74 in round 1, not bad for a basketball player  :D

Yep it's not bad at all until you look at the fact that only 9 out of the 155 players in the field shot worse than 74

Yep it's not bad at all until you look at the fact that only 9 out of the 155 players in the field shot worse than 74

I doubt 9 of the players in the field could play in the NBA D-league 

• Like 5

I doubt 9 of the players in the field could play in the NBA D-league

Very true, but I doubt they would try

It doesn't bother me that they gave him a spot, it sells tickets and creates excitement for a Web.com event......I was just saying his 74 isn't as impressive when you look at the rest of the scores.

Be it the Web.com or the big show Tour, the attendance, and I assume sponsorship as well, depends on who will be playing.   When the Web.com tour was in the DC area, I was a committee chair and the attendance was disappointing.  I'm quite sure if a local celebrity was playing much like Steph, the attendance would have been greater.     Recently, I worked the Quicken Loans tournament.   I'm quite sure a good percentage of the fans were there to see Rickie Fowler.  If he had not been there, I'm rather certain that the attendance would have been less.   Quite often, people would ask me where is Rickie, my response was find and follow the crowd.

Seems like he held his own out there, so let him play get more people exposed to it

• Like 1

It was a great move to give Curry the sponsors exemption.  It would be nice to see more celebrities playing in web.com events like this but there aren't many who compete well enough to make a decent showing.  I think celebrities playing in these events are 0 for however many have played in making the cut.   Best of luck to Curry today

It certainly is getting people interested, ESPN did a portion of SC on it. I think the move worked out for sure!

• Like 1

Like we need more people clogging up the courses...

I personally think it's awesome. From most of the feedback, the guys out there enjoyed the crowds and buzz he brought to the event. Gets them and the web.com tour some national exposure. He played respectable golf and brought some fun to an event no one would be paying attention to if he didn't play.