TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee it forward - Do you do it?

jaymikem

Alright forum members, here is the situation: You wake up in the morning, check the forecast really quick and the weatherman calls for clear skies and 75 degrees, with only a gentle breeze of 0 - 5 miles an hour expected for the day. Pristine golf weather. And the rest of the week calls for rain, rain and more rain - you can't let an opportunity like this pass you by! So you call in to the office because you are *cough* *cough* "under the weather" *sniffle* *sniffle*, and then start making the rounds scouring golf now and the internet for a tee time. You find a course you have played a couple times, not a ton, but you remember it being a decent track and are pretty pumped to play it again. So you throw on your favorite golf polo and comfiest golf shorts (or pants, if 75 degree weather is pants weather for you crazy people in Arizona, California, etc.), eat a hearty breakfast, throw your clubs in the trunk of your car and head off to the course. You get to the course, pay the green fee and head off to the first tee box. It's moment of truth time gentlemen (and ladies, but mostly gentlemen in this case) - what tee box are you attacking the course from, and is this the box you should actually be going to battle from?

Personally, I used to play from the tee box just in front of the tips most of the time (generally the blue tee boxes on the courses around me). And I generally played there for the following reasons:

- When I started golfing, most of the people I played with always played from the blue tees. So I just got used to playing from those boxes.

- I can hit the ball pretty far. I am not tour pro long or anything like that,but for average joe golfer I can get the ball out there pretty good, so I thought that was the spot for me.

- It is an ego thing. I think I should be able to play from that distance and do it well.

- Blue is a much more manly color than white.

What I have realized though is that even though the blue tee boxes generally don't make the course too long for my game, I should probably spend more of my time teeing off from the white tee boxes (or the boxes one set behind the ladies tees if your course uses a different coloring system). Why is that? I score way better (and who doesn't have more fun when the score looks good!) Not sub par or low 70's better, but I can generally keep things in the low to mid 80's from there. I also don't have to hit as many shots with long irons or fairway woods to get home on holes, which limits the duffs and skulls and other nonsense I generally rack up throughout the round, which just makes the round more frustrating it needs to be. Golf is hard enough as it is! I also feel better about my pace of play. I don't feel like I am holding people up as much, searching for balls on wayward shots when my swing gets a little handsy, and when I hit a fat shot I am already closer than I was if I were playing from further away. I think the people playing behind me appreciate it more, as I know I get frustrated and out of rhythm when the group in front of me is clearly playing from the wrong tee box and slowing things down to a halt (I am looking at you banana ball slicer who only gets a FIR hitting the fairway of another hole but continues to tee it up from the back boxes).

So now I most courses I find myself playing from a hybrid set of tee boxes throughout the round, mixing it up between the white boxes and blue boxes. If the hole is too short, I back up a set, but I am not too proud to enjoy the game like it is meant to be enjoyed. What about the rest of you out there. Do you think you honestly play the right set of tees most of the time, or are you playing from further back than you should be playing?

Also, earlier I said this post was mostly for the gentlemen as I have yet to encounter a group of ladies teeing up from too far away for their game. In my experience, it appears those that can play from further back know it and do, and others tee it forward where they are comfortable playing from. But would love everyone to weigh in and give their opinions.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My blitz group (seniors) goes by this format:

under 70 = white tees

70 - 75 = senior tees

75+ = forward tees

It's a fair system in my opinion and everyone seems to enjoy it.  I do think if a person has an ailment or injury, they should play as far forward as necessary to enjoy their game. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I change it up. Blue one week, White the next, then a mix, then a few forward tees. I usually only play one course, so I do this to "change the look" of the course.

But if I haven't played a course before I go for full dumb a$$ mode and play the blacks(tips) and generally shoot a poor score. Maybe I will write that down in my game plan book. (DONT PLAY FROM THE BACK, Jack!!)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If I'm by myself, I play from the tips. If I play with other person, I always just play whatever they feel comfortable with. I like the tips, I hit it pretty long and feel I get a better game with the length.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I used to play the tips when I was younger and had a nice long drive. Now days, getting older, back surgery, two bad hips and 1 bad knee, so I play the whites (1 behind the senior tees). I should be playing the senior tee's for my distance but, can't bring myself to move up yet. Even though I should, I would feel guilty being I'm not 60 yet.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

If I went by my handicap and lack of length I should play the whites and I tend to score better and have more fun from those tees, the problem is I'm a member of a very active Men's Golf Association that has one to 2 events a month and a weekly 9 hole event during the summer months and their rules are if you are under 60 then you play the blues.

So I play the blues 99% of the time so I can practice from there.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I usually play the whites, it's a confidence thing if you can hammer it down the fairway and get on in 2 why not. The only thing better about the blues, I feel is I have a better full approach shot. I'm not good at backing off on shots.

I change it up. Blue one week, White the next, then a mix, then a few forward tees. I usually only play one course, so I do this to "change the look" of the course.

But if I haven't played a course before I go for full dumb a$$ mode and play the blacks(tips) and generally shoot a poor score. Maybe I will write that down in my game plan book. (DONT PLAY FROM THE BACK, Jack!!)

I don't understand Alan. 2 weeks ago in the course strategy thread you claimed to _never_ hit your 9-iron because you _always_ play your home course in the exact same fashion.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19974-course-strategy/?p=298713

Genuinely not trying to poke and prod, but for better or worse I read every forum post from every member and have the memory of an elephant. So perhaps you could clarify for all of us... Which is it?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I'm a tipper playing alone or when the group is game but will also happily follow majority rule.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

... I think everyone should play the course the way it is designed. Some holes are designed to be attacked on the second shot with a short iron while others allow a run up using a long iron or hybrid. Water is sometimes a course design feature or there for aesthetics and not meant as a hazard from the tee. Same with trees that are not meant to be an obstacle but there for their beauty and to protect the course. I play with golfers that hit into water or trees that aren't supposed to be in play leaving themselves an unreachable to the green shot and turn a par 4 into a par 6. If you play the appropriate tee's you will be playing the course the way it was designed to be played. 

... I don't pick my tee's by color or positions like 1st or 2nd set but by yardage. When I turned 62 I dropped from 6800-7200  down to 6400-6800. When I start losing yardage off the tee I will move them again so I can play the course the way it is designed to be played. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My course is a little different.  Our Blue tees are everyone else's White tees, and the White tees are the senior tees.  I play from the Blues, but have played from the Whites.  The "rule" at my club is Age + Handicap = 90 or more; play from the Whites.  The way my game is going lately, I'll be playing from the Whites by the end of the year!!  BTW, my wife plays from either the Red tees or White tees.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I like to play whichever tees will make the course the most fun for me. That doesn't mean I'm looking for easy scores, but I want to have a chance at going for some the Par 5's in two and I don't want all of the Par 3 to be

Some courses that means I'm playing from the back tees, but there are plenty more courses where I'm playing from the 2nd or 3rd furthest back - maybe even less on very select courses.

In my experience there aren't many courses in my immediate area that I can't play from the tips, but they simply aren't as much fun. I score around the same, but I have no chance at going for it in two on a par 5 and some of the par 3's can play like a short par 4. It's all about the enjoyment for me.

I've always told myself that if I start shooting

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Ours go from red, blue, golden, white and black (tips)

Default tees here are red for ladies, blue seniors and golden for gentlemen. When playing for fun with friends, will do golden. When I play with lower handicappers or competitive rounds, then might go white. Never played black.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Now that I have a bad back I look for tees in the 5700-5900 range, I used to look for tees in the 6100-6200 range just 2 1/2 short years ago.  The combination of the bad back and I will turn 70 this year are taking a toll on my distance.  195-215 is pretty much my driving distance now. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

The issue at my club is the blue tees are over 6700 yards and the whites are just under 6109... to me that's too big of a gap.

Just for fun I played the whites this afternoon....shot 81...longest club into a par 4 was a 7 iron, but most were 8 or 9....it's so much more fun to shoot a good score and to be able to go for the pin with a 9 iron in my hand instead just trying to hit the green somewhere with a 4 hybrid.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I think you should play the tee that you have the most fun on. Each tee should have its own slope rating so you handicap will adjust accordingly. I knew a guy that could drive the ball 300+ yards dead straight every time. He always played from the white tees tho and could barely break 95. I've seen him drive a par 4 and proceed to 4 putt for bogey. Heck of a guy the have on your scramble team though.

Long story short if people are giving you crap about which tee you are playing from maybe it's time to find a new group. It your money you spent, you should have the most fun you can.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Like Chisag and others.... I choose my tee by the yardage. At my home course I play from the men's white tee. Our back tee is Blue. When I travel to another course I pick my tee from the card based on yardage. I played from the back tee at my home course for probably two years too long. When I finally moved up I too a lot of ribbing. But guess what has happened? Most of the guys have now moved up with me. Heh!

Sure there are still a few guys I play with and in my age group (62) that ought to give up the ghost and make the change but they haven't. Fine with me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I used to play forward most of the time, but found that it hurt me more than it helped, so I play back one in front of the tips. 

My problem is that I am really not very good in a very specific range (65-100 yards), and I've found that when I play forward, I am almost always playing those approach shots, while playing back, I'm at 105-125 yards which is a MUCH better distance for me. So this is where I play, and having moved back, my handicap is *finally* trending back to where it was and should be, after having ballooned while playing up.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

As others have said, I pick based on yardage - I am fairly comfortable in the 6200 yard range.  A couple years ago, a friend and I played the blues on a pretty tough course and it seemed like every par 4 was a 4 iron into the green, which got a little tiring, especially since I can barely hit one anymore ;).  The course I just got done playing is pretty short and I would have been comfortable playing the tips, but 2 of our foursome struggle to hit drives more than about 220.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I play it based on the actual yardage. I won't play less than 6200, won't play more than 6800. On one course I play, 6800 is the blues, on another course 6800 is the blacks. I try to play from 6400-6600 whenever possible.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

In this situation, I'm assuming that I'm by myself. Playing alone, there's a decent chance you're paired up with another player.

When this happens I almost always defer to them. The "blue" tees are my home and I'll play there 10 out of 10 times by myself but the last thing I want to do is force someone out of their comfort zone....especially considering there's a good chance they fall into the same exact scenario Jay set up for us to debate.

I've done this a few times and have just as much fun from the white and I do from the blue.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Great question!! during our last round, we started from the blues, not fully realizing that there was an amateur qualifier starting just after us. Based on our actually skill, after the amateur 2some behind us caught up, we played from the whites and it was more fun.

I too can hit it far (at times), but playing to my actual skill level with the proper tee box was more fun and better scoring.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Whatever tee box is closest to 6300 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I usually go from wherever my group is playing, which is usually the box in front of the tips. If I'm by myself, I'll also go from the same box just for the sake of saving myself potential embarrassment. Some days I'm sure I could shoot well from the tips, but other days I may benefit from playing from the ladies tees

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I don't understand Alan. 2 weeks ago in the course strategy thread you claimed to _never_ hit your 9-iron because you _always_ play your home course in the exact same fashion.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19974-course-strategy/?p=298713

Genuinely not trying to poke and prod, but for better or worse I read every forum post from every member and have the memory of an elephant. So perhaps you could clarify for all of us... Which is it?

Yup. So I play 2 different courses, one more so than the other, because there aren't many other options around here. The one course is literally 3-10 yards different t between the white and blue tees, so it really doesn't make a difference which ones I play.

Before I go out I map my game out on FunGolf for the one course. There are only 5-6 holes where it is more than 3-10 yards different, and it actually plays harder at the shorter distance because it dog legs one way or the other and the back tees are dead straight. I hit the same club off the tee on those holes so it really doesn't change a bunch.

When you play the same track over and over it's hard not to get in the habit of hitting the same clubs. My game plan is from the tee, whatever happens between the landing spot and the green is a mystery.

I have been hitting my 9 iron though. Trying to curb some of the monotony. Going to play some different courses in July. I will still map out a game plan, and depending on if I'm playing well if I stick to it or not.

Any of that make sense? Because it hardly does to me.

- Alan

I

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Archived