TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee it forward - Do you do it?

jaymikem

I tend to mix it up a little. But 6,700 yards is about right for me where most of my bag is tested. If its course is less than 6,000 yards then most par-4s are Driver-Wedge, which is fun but doesn't test everything.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday a guy in our game (but different group) was asked why he keeps playing from the back tee. This guy is 60-61 has knee issues and normally shoots in mid to upper 80's. Doesn't hit the ball all that far either. His answer is that he can't play well from the White or mens' regular tee.??? Says his distances are all off if he moves up so he'll stick with the back tee. I didn't even try to go there with any questions or explanations, reasoning, etc. Two others guys he was playing with also play the back tee and they should move up too. I don't really try any more to encourage them to change. Quite frankly I hope they stay back there as I beat them every week while they gripe about their game and losing all the time. I suppose they'd rather hit 5-6-7 iron approaches all day instead 7-8-9 iron and wedges.

You can lead a horse to water....

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Probably one my biggest pet peeves when people play from the blues and barley make it past the ladies tees on there drive. I understand if you mess up but if you mess up 18 drives it's a long day.

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

I do enjoy an occasional round from the tips but won't ever do it on a course I'm only somewhat familiar with. It would have to be a course I play often enough to truly desire a new approach.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I was member of a club that had its annual July 4th "Red, White and Blue " tournament.   It was a four man team event,  the A player played from the tips (Blue), the B and C players played from the regular men's tees (White) and the D player from the Senior tees (Red).   Since I was typically the C player I played the Whites while based on age I could and should play the Reds.

I have teed forward once or twice before for the heck of it but typically I'll play from around 6500-6800 yards if the course I'm on has something around that. No real reason other then that's what the people I play with do.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

This past week while on vacation in Kentucky, I played with the Senior Men at the club I grew up on, so it was the first time playing it from the Senior Tees at 5200 yards. Wow! What fun it was, shooting a 42/42:84.

Next round was a Pete Dye course (Kearney Hills)so I challenged myself and played the white tees at 6400 yards....did not score well(50/48:98) but enjoyed the challenge.

Then, I played the UK Wildcat course with my high school friend and we played the Senior tees at 5000 yards. Now this was a lot of fun as I scored 41/39:80.

At home, I play my club at 5500 yards, scoring in the 80's.

I am comfortable with the Senior tees at Pebble Creek GC, where you can play when you reach age 65.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'll play it based on yardage as man have said. Last month me and some buddies went to RTJ trail in Birmingham. Buddies got nervous thinking they would ruin the trip by playing to far back so we it mostly at 62-6300. There's a lot of fun to be had playing 6200 yard courses but I prefer to play 65-6800.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I generally don't, unless I'm at a course like Mystic Creek in Arkansas that plays 7400 yards from the tips, making the white tees the sub-7000 tees. I try to stick with the high 6000 tee boxes based upon average driving distance. I don't want to hit hybrid or iron off of every tee box, but I also don't want 220+ yard par threes.

My "home" course plays around 6700 from the tees I use, so I look for a tee box that plays a similar length. If at that certain course I play the tips for that length, that's what I do.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

... I played with 3 Indian gentlemen at Encino in LA last season. Back tees are 6789 yds. These guys probably couldn't break 100 from the most forward tee's. Really nice guys so after 9 and having a very good day at 3 under I asked why they played the back tee's as they were making it much harder than they needed. Their response surprised me. They said they were trying to play as many strokes as they could. They knew they were not very good and were just maximizing their dollar value. They played poorly but quickly and truly enjoyed playing and they did try their best and all 3 shot over 120. 

... I have to admit it actually made sense to me. They were just trying to hit the ball as many times as they could. They never held me up any more than any other 3 golfers and enjoyed their round and I enjoyed their company. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

The purpose of the tee it forward campaign is pace of play so if you can hold up your pace of play use the set of tees that you'd like.  We have eight sets of tees on our scorecard three of which are blended.  The Men's association plays a blend between the white and the blues so that is what I generally play.  Many of my friends prefer the straight whites or even the green/white blend - I have never played the green/white blend because at the club you have to be 65 to play from those (generally). 

The course rating from the set of tees that I play from is 72/138 at 6,400 yards long.  That's pretty tough - Ideally I like 71/130 - I'm looking for the set of tees that's closest to that.  (I don't worry about the yardage - it tends to take care of itself but I'm not keen on playing at more than 6,500 yards at sea level)

Last summer I played a round at our sister course which is an upscale daily fee course.  They have black, gold, silver, red.  Predictably most guys will play the gold.  It's a tough course, one that used to be used for a PGA tour event and the gold tees are too tough for most players with a handicap over 15 and really not all that fun for players between 8--14 because they are very unlikely to shoot their handicap.  They may hit it far enough but there's tons of water and sand.  Pace of play stinks!!!!  I suggested that they either create a blended set or better keep the gold tees but set them forward.  They have done the later - I suspect it's where lots of guys are coming up with their 260 yard average off the tee - the hole is 400, the tee is up 30 yards, they have 140 in and their 230 yard drive becomes 260!!!  It's a win/win.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I normally play from the white tees because more times than not I am playing with my fiancé who plays from the red tees.  I feel like I hit the ball long enough that I definitely should start playing more from the blues and the tips but when its just out for recreation and to have a good time I just play the whites.

Definitely find myself never using anything more than an 8 iron from the fairways though except on par 5s.  So I think what I am going to do is round out my game and if I play from whites one time the next I will just play from blues.

My best round ever was from the white tees and I just can't shake the feeling that it doesn't count

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I normally play from the white tees because more times than not I am playing with my fiancé who plays from the red tees. I feel like I hit the ball long enough that I definitely should start playing more from the blues and the tips but when its just out for recreation and to have a good time I just play the whites.

Definitely find myself never using anything more than an 8 iron from the fairways though except on par 5s. So I think what I am going to do is round out my game and if I play from whites one time the next I will just play from blues.

Removing your woods for a round can also make quite a difference. Have done tried it a few times. Play different yardages/ways to attack a hole

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Around Here MOST course go Red, white, Blue, and Black.. I usually play from the whites. A few times played from 1 back (blues), but those are few and far between.. 

I did play back 1 set when I played Gamble Sand, Since the started asked us what we normally play and what our scores were, and he suggested 1 back it would be more fun actually less danger for us.. It was a great time, we all were playing well so it worked ok.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

If it is a new course I am playing ... I check out the longest par 4's. IE: Redhawk in Temecula. Back tees (gold) are at 7100 yards. (5) par 4's OVER 450 yards. Not in my game. Black tees are 6500 yards. Longest par 4 is 444 yards. We play that.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Most of the courses I play we don't technically have "tips". Ladies, Seniors, White, then Blues, but the Blues aren't what I would call the tips. I have played the Blues in the past, but anymore we always play the Whites. I play with people of varying skill level, so I usually just tee it up with them.  Although, when I play with my father in law he plays from the Seniors and wants me to play from the Blues because he is super competitive and is always trying to win. 

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

On vacation in Kentucky, I played 4 different courses. Juniper Hill; I played the Senior tees for the first time at 5400 yards and scored 42/42:84. The next course was Kearney Hills, designed by Pete Dye. I decided to play the White Tees at 6400 yards and score a 48/50;98 losing 3 balls. The 3rd course was University Club Wildcat. API played with one of my high school friends so we played the forward Tees at 5000 yards. There, I scored 41/39;80 and had a lot of fun. The 4th course was Lucas Oil GC in English IN. We played it at 6000 yards scoring 48/49;96 losing 5 balls. It was fun but I struggled, not knowing the layout.

That said, I have more fun playing the 5000 to 5600 yard range so I guess I am playing it forward.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I usually play the from the tees around the 6500 yard range. That's how far the tips are at several of the courses I play. If there's nothing around that distance, I'll usually go down a set to around 6100 yards. So, I guess sometimes I "tee it forward."

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Personally like to play the course at its longest, just feel like i get the full experience from the course and the challenge is what makes the game fun for me and my mates. I also hit it far enough that its not driver 4iron into every par four so i still have occasional birdie opportunities.

Ping g400 lst 10* w/Oban kiyoshi gold 65s

Titleist 915f 16.5* w/Aldia rogue max 75s

Cobra King UT 18* w/Kbs C-taper lite 110s

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) w/ Accra 95s proto

Titleist sm6 50*,54*,58* w/Dynamic gold s200

Evnroll Er2 35in w/superstroke flatso 1.0

Yesterday a guy in our game (but different group) was asked why he keeps playing from the back tee. This guy is 60-61 has knee issues and normally shoots in mid to upper 80's. Doesn't hit the ball all that far either. His answer is that he can't play well from the White or mens' regular tee.??? Says his distances are all off if he moves up so he'll stick with the back tee. I didn't even try to go there with any questions or explanations, reasoning, etc. Two others guys he was playing with also play the back tee and they should move up too. I don't really try any more to encourage them to change. Quite frankly I hope they stay back there as I beat them every week while they gripe about their game and losing all the time. I suppose they'd rather hit 5-6-7 iron approaches all day instead 7-8-9 iron and wedges.

You can lead a horse to water....

It's awful when people don't realize they need to move up.. A friend's dad that always plays with us has never broke 100 but insists on playing from the Tips or blues like we do... You're 50, move on up- there's no shame.

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

It's awful when people don't realize they need to move up.. A friend's dad that always plays with us has never broke 100 but insists on playing from the Tips or blues like we do... You're 50, move on up- there's no shame.

Same thing with my dad. He could play good golf if he'd move up, but having 3 woods, hybrids or 5 irons into every green... hard to score well.

- Alan

Last week, I played with my mother at her home club and decided to play the gold (ladies/super senior) tees with her. I took all the woods and even my 3i & 4i out of the bag. It was great! I had a ton of fun and it was like playing a whole new course! From the gold, it plays 5300 and for perspective, from the blues it's 6800 (7200 from the championship tees). 

If you ever have the chance, give it a shot!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I used to like to play from the tips when I was younger.  Felt like I got to experience the entire course that way, plus I was long enough to be comfortable with playing back there.  Now that I'm in my 50's and have lost quite a few yards off the tee, I will usually try and play from whatever tees are in the 6400-6700 range.  Depending on the course, it could be the white tees, blue tees, or even the tips on some of the shorter courses.

Most of the time I play, I usually play the set of tees that are one up from the tips.  I will play the tips on occasion, but I've also been known to play even farther up.  It all depends on who I am playing with.  If the rest of my group is playing from the set up from my normal tees, I'll also play up, but if the rest are playing the tips, I'll also play the tips.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I almost always tee up on the whites, I used to go back to the blues or the blacks, and what I noticed is I would get frustrated, I would lose balls in places I never should and I would just go home pissed.  

Last year at the beginning of our season I decided I would play the right tees all the time and while I have slipped from that a few times due to groups or other issues I noticed I had more fun I play better the shots aren't as intimidating and I don't lose nearly as many balls.  I also broke 100 last year for the first time all because I tee'd it forward, breaking 100 was a goal for the first 5 years I played and I'm doing it regularly now and that makes me happy, which makes golf easier. 

:callaway-small:Driver - FT-iQ 10* /  :taylormade-small: Woods - Burner 2.0 3 and 5 

:taylormade-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 /  :cobra-small: Irons - King F7 ONE 5 - PW

:cleveland-small:  Wedges - 56* 60*

:odyssey-small:  White Hot Pro 2.0 #1 - I kind of hate this thing! <_<

All stuffed in an OGIO bag and a ClicGear 3.5. 

I used to play the tips when I was younger and had a nice long drive. Now days, getting older, back surgery, two bad hips and 1 bad knee, so I play the whites (1 behind the senior tees). I should be playing the senior tee's for my distance but, can't bring myself to move up yet. Even though I should, I would feel guilty being I'm not 60 yet.

sounds like you've got miles if not the years. Nobody on the senior tees can tell how old you are. They'll appreciate your good eyes finding balls.

If I'm playing alone I like to mix it up and play forward. However, if I'm playing with friends they always make me play the tips. Especially if playing any sort of gentleman's game. I hit the ball a long way and they know the only club I struggle with from time to time is my driver. If I play forward most courses I would only need a 3w or 5w off the tee. But if I move to the tips they know I'll need the driver more often to place me at my ideal yardages.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

I usually play the white tees because that is what my group prefers. When I play a new course I use a formula taught to me when I first started playing which is 5 iron distance, 185 for me, times 2 times 18 which comes to 6,660 yards. So I play the tees that come closest to that number. Simple and effective.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Archived