Our Sponsors

I used to play forward most of the time, but found that it hurt me more than it helped, so I play back one in front of the tips. 

My problem is that I am really not very good in a very specific range (65-100 yards), and I've found that when I play forward, I am almost always playing those approach shots, while playing back, I'm at 105-125 yards which is a MUCH better distance for me. So this is where I play, and having moved back, my handicap is *finally* trending back to where it was and should be, after having ballooned while playing up.

• Like 3

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

As others have said, I pick based on yardage - I am fairly comfortable in the 6200 yard range.  A couple years ago, a friend and I played the blues on a pretty tough course and it seemed like every par 4 was a 4 iron into the green, which got a little tiring, especially since I can barely hit one anymore ;).  The course I just got done playing is pretty short and I would have been comfortable playing the tips, but 2 of our foursome struggle to hit drives more than about 220.

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

I play it based on the actual yardage. I won't play less than 6200, won't play more than 6800. On one course I play, 6800 is the blues, on another course 6800 is the blacks. I try to play from 6400-6600 whenever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

In this situation, I'm assuming that I'm by myself. Playing alone, there's a decent chance you're paired up with another player.

When this happens I almost always defer to them. The "blue" tees are my home and I'll play there 10 out of 10 times by myself but the last thing I want to do is force someone out of their comfort zone....especially considering there's a good chance they fall into the same exact scenario Jay set up for us to debate.

I've done this a few times and have just as much fun from the white and I do from the blue.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Great question!! during our last round, we started from the blues, not fully realizing that there was an amateur qualifier starting just after us. Based on our actually skill, after the amateur 2some behind us caught up, we played from the whites and it was more fun.

I too can hit it far (at times), but playing to my actual skill level with the proper tee box was more fun and better scoring.

• Like 1

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  TBD... 

Fairway  :cleveland-small:  Launcher HB 15° Aldila Tour Blue 75X 

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :cleveland-small:  CBX 4i - 9i, TT DG S300 HS 1x

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX 45.8, 50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S300

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'll play any tee box the group wants. There are challenges at all distances.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Whatever tee box is closest to 6300 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I usually go from wherever my group is playing, which is usually the box in front of the tips. If I'm by myself, I'll also go from the same box just for the sake of saving myself potential embarrassment. Some days I'm sure I could shoot well from the tips, but other days I may benefit from playing from the ladies tees

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I don't understand Alan. 2 weeks ago in the course strategy thread you claimed to _never_ hit your 9-iron because you _always_ play your home course in the exact same fashion.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19974-course-strategy/?p=298713

Genuinely not trying to poke and prod, but for better or worse I read every forum post from every member and have the memory of an elephant. So perhaps you could clarify for all of us... Which is it?

Yup. So I play 2 different courses, one more so than the other, because there aren't many other options around here. The one course is literally 3-10 yards different t between the white and blue tees, so it really doesn't make a difference which ones I play.

Before I go out I map my game out on FunGolf for the one course. There are only 5-6 holes where it is more than 3-10 yards different, and it actually plays harder at the shorter distance because it dog legs one way or the other and the back tees are dead straight. I hit the same club off the tee on those holes so it really doesn't change a bunch.

When you play the same track over and over it's hard not to get in the habit of hitting the same clubs. My game plan is from the tee, whatever happens between the landing spot and the green is a mystery.

I have been hitting my 9 iron though. Trying to curb some of the monotony. Going to play some different courses in July. I will still map out a game plan, and depending on if I'm playing well if I stick to it or not.

Any of that make sense? Because it hardly does to me.

- Alan

• Like 2

I

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70X Tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I tend to mix it up a little. But 6,700 yards is about right for me where most of my bag is tested. If its course is less than 6,000 yards then most par-4s are Driver-Wedge, which is fun but doesn't test everything.

• Like 1

Yesterday a guy in our game (but different group) was asked why he keeps playing from the back tee. This guy is 60-61 has knee issues and normally shoots in mid to upper 80's. Doesn't hit the ball all that far either. His answer is that he can't play well from the White or mens' regular tee.??? Says his distances are all off if he moves up so he'll stick with the back tee. I didn't even try to go there with any questions or explanations, reasoning, etc. Two others guys he was playing with also play the back tee and they should move up too. I don't really try any more to encourage them to change. Quite frankly I hope they stay back there as I beat them every week while they gripe about their game and losing all the time. I suppose they'd rather hit 5-6-7 iron approaches all day instead 7-8-9 iron and wedges.

You can lead a horse to water....

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Probably one my biggest pet peeves when people play from the blues and barley make it past the ladies tees on there drive. I understand if you mess up but if you mess up 18 drives it's a long day.

• Like 1

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

I do enjoy an occasional round from the tips but won't ever do it on a course I'm only somewhat familiar with. It would have to be a course I play often enough to truly desire a new approach.

• Like 1

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

I was member of a club that had its annual July 4th "Red, White and Blue " tournament.   It was a four man team event,  the A player played from the tips (Blue), the B and C players played from the regular men's tees (White) and the D player from the Senior tees (Red).   Since I was typically the C player I played the Whites while based on age I could and should play the Reds.

I have teed forward once or twice before for the heck of it but typically I'll play from around 6500-6800 yards if the course I'm on has something around that. No real reason other then that's what the people I play with do.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

This past week while on vacation in Kentucky, I played with the Senior Men at the club I grew up on, so it was the first time playing it from the Senior Tees at 5200 yards. Wow! What fun it was, shooting a 42/42:84.

Next round was a Pete Dye course (Kearney Hills)so I challenged myself and played the white tees at 6400 yards....did not score well(50/48:98) but enjoyed the challenge.

Then, I played the UK Wildcat course with my high school friend and we played the Senior tees at 5000 yards. Now this was a lot of fun as I scored 41/39:80.

At home, I play my club at 5500 yards, scoring in the 80's.

I am comfortable with the Senior tees at Pebble Creek GC, where you can play when you reach age 65.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I'll play it based on yardage as man have said. Last month me and some buddies went to RTJ trail in Birmingham. Buddies got nervous thinking they would ruin the trip by playing to far back so we it mostly at 62-6300. There's a lot of fun to be had playing 6200 yard courses but I prefer to play 65-6800.

<p>Knoxville, TN 4 Hdcp Ping G30 9deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Nike Vapor rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, 60 TM spider with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I generally don't, unless I'm at a course like Mystic Creek in Arkansas that plays 7400 yards from the tips, making the white tees the sub-7000 tees. I try to stick with the high 6000 tee boxes based upon average driving distance. I don't want to hit hybrid or iron off of every tee box, but I also don't want 220+ yard par threes.

My "home" course plays around 6700 from the tees I use, so I look for a tee box that plays a similar length. If at that certain course I play the tips for that length, that's what I do.

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

... I played with 3 Indian gentlemen at Encino in LA last season. Back tees are 6789 yds. These guys probably couldn't break 100 from the most forward tee's. Really nice guys so after 9 and having a very good day at 3 under I asked why they played the back tee's as they were making it much harder than they needed. Their response surprised me. They said they were trying to play as many strokes as they could. They knew they were not very good and were just maximizing their dollar value. They played poorly but quickly and truly enjoyed playing and they did try their best and all 3 shot over 120. 

... I have to admit it actually made sense to me. They were just trying to hit the ball as many times as they could. They never held me up any more than any other 3 golfers and enjoyed their round and I enjoyed their company. 

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x