TESTERS WANTED! ×

Measuring club distances

tony@CIC

For you experts out there:

How do you go about measuring distances on your clubs. I had a scheme where I measured total distance on each club (our club has a couple of practice holes). I believe the mistake I made was not measuring the 'carry' if that's the right term.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My advice is to actually go out onto the course when it isn't busy so you can hit a few balls on each hole. After warming up I go out on the course and start with 3-iron and work my way back. I'll measure a specific distance and then hit a few balls from that distance to see how the ball ends up. And I work my way down thru the bag. A range finder is pretty essential though.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

What burk said.

If you are still having an issue finding your landing spot and getting a true carry distance, see if you can find a facility near you with a Trackman or foresight launch monitor and hit balls with all of your clubs to get some ballpark figures for carry.

I believe Golf Galaxy has a " Gap Analysis" you can do for a fee. They will put you on their Foresight monitor and have you go through all the clubs in your bag (hitting multiple shots with each club and removing outliers) and then at the end give you a print out of your averages (ball speed, spin, carry and total distances).  I did this a few years ago when I first got new irons and the numbers were very helpful

Then, armed with that knowledge, go back out on the course and see if the numbers from the launch monitor match up with what you see on the course.

As a fellow high handicapper, I figured it out on the course as I played using a GPS app or rangefinder.  Just take mental notes or actual notes of how far out you are out from greens, take wind and slope into consideration and you should have enough information.  

I haven't done the gap analysis because I am not consistent enough as a high handicapper to find value in paying for the gap analysis.  This doesn't necessarily apply to all high handicappers as obviously some people might have consistent swings but don't hit the ball far.

The reason I am a high handicapper is an inconsistent swing.  So some days if I'm having consistent contact and proper form, I may carry each club almost 10-15 yards farther than days where I am losing form and doing something counter productive in my swing.  Therefore the gap analysis doesn't necessarily hold and i have to judge it on a day by day basis of how i am hitting the ball.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I'm not good enough to get exact distances, I have a good know how of my game, so I have pretty good idea of how far I can hit each club, but a lot of it depends on other factors as well, with wedges I want to know how far a stock one flies because it will hit and stop, I'm not worried about overall distance. If it's a 5-6 iron I need to carry and roll out. Some days I strike it better than others, but other days I don't strike it very well, so it gets difficult those days.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

So should I have more accurate carry distances for my wedges? I would think that where you end up using a sand or lob wedge it would be far critical than a long iron on a fairway.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I use paces for anything inside 50. Which is fairly close to yards for me. The courses I play aren't marked very well so a lot of times it's a guessing game. I use a gps on my phone.

But I use carry from the launch monitor at the college. It is usually within 5 yards. For example, fairway lie with my 57° would be 85 carry 80% swing, with some backspin. Rough depending on lie would be 65ish carry with not much backspin.

Long irons I have to calculate carry and roll. Depending on the conditions I could get up to 20+ yards of roll with my 3 iron, and the shot I play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So should I have more accurate carry distances for my wedges? I would think that where you end up using a sand or lob wedge it would be far critical than a long iron on a fairway.

I would try to figure out what you stock shot would be with the wedges, it's should be about an 85% swing, and get a good idea about how far that will fly, keeping in mind that it will likely hop and stop, or back up a little, so if it flies 90 yards it may finish at 85. For my I hit my 57 wedge stock at 95 yards. I know that it will end up at 90. I also know that if I need a little extra I can get it to 105, but it has way more spin, so it may end up at 100, or it could end up at 90 again, since I won't be able to control the amount of spin because of swingning harder. In which case it may be better to go up a club when I need 105, and hit it 110 with an easier swing, and get it to hop and stop. Conditions and flag position will play a factor in club selection, but knowing how far I can and need to hit the ball is helpful, that doesn't mean I do it exactly right all the time, but I know what I am trying to do.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

For me I have traditionally worked off my 150 club and worked forward and backwards from there.

My issue being my 150 club has changed a couple times this season with weather warming and better ball striking. However I do now have a very good feel for how far my clubs go from 56-6 iron. It's the 4 and 5 that I have less consistency with getting consistent yardage and have the odd hot shot that will carry much father then I'm expecting.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If you have practice holes this is perfect since you can hit in to a green and see the ball mark.

My method takes a bit of time, but it's very good if you have a laser and some empty holes.  If you want carry distances you almost always need to either hit in to a green so you can see the ball mark, or have a buddy out in the landing area so he can spot where the ball lands.

But basically you take a club and hit 5 - 10 shots.  Then leave your bag where you hit them from.  Walk up to the balls and laser back to your bag for each ball and take the average (you can eliminate gross mis-hits)  If you want total distance just do it in the fairway.  If you want carry distance this is where you need to either hit a green so you can find the ball mark and laser from that, or have a buddy out there that can see the landing and then laser back to you.

It's a process and takes a while, but you only need to do it well once and then you should have some pretty good numbers.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

When I work on wedge distances I try to find a place where I can hit freely with nobody around, one of my favorite spots is a practice football field...it already has yardages marked off so that helps.

I'll take a large golf towel and mark off 50 yards and lay the towel out and then figure out how hard I need to swing to carry the ball exactly 50 yards, then move it back 10 yards and work on thatthat and just keep working on various swings and yardages, it's great practice.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Short version is I like taking some good balls out to the range and measuring carry distance for well struck shots at 80% strength (that's the feel at least), at a minimum I'd hit 10-15 well struck balls and average the numbers. It takes some time but it's worth it even if you just figure out for example that a 7-iron at stock swing is 140-150 yards and your dispersion is 10 yards that can help you make an educated decision in club selection.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I did a test of SCOR wedges a few years back where I went to a local par 3 course and charted all of my wedge shots over the course of a month. I found that if I go mid afternoon in the summer the course is empty. I can set my own distance to the pin from 85 to 200 yards. I really learned my distances not carry and carry and roll that summer as I hit clubs other than wedge on some holes too. I measured around 100 shots with each wedge, less with other clubs. All it takes is a GPS or range finder - the GPS is better for this task honestly but either will work.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I did a test of SCOR wedges a few years back where I went to a local par 3 course and charted all of my wedge shots over the course of a month. I found that if I go mid afternoon in the summer the course is empty. I can set my own distance to the pin from 85 to 200 yards. I really learned my distances not carry and carry and roll that summer as I hit clubs other than wedge on some holes too. I measured around 100 shots with each wedge, less with other clubs. All it takes is a GPS or range finder - the GPS is better for this task honestly but either will work.

I did about the same on my course, and I like using a GPS.  Hit a bunch of shots, set the GPS to zero, drive to each ball, record distance and pick up.  Drive back to starting place and Repeat.  Don't even have to reset GPS.  Works OK in fairway; for carry distance, I start at a yardage from the green for a particular club and hit into the green.  This takes a little longer because I have to repair ball marks!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hope to emulate your process rev!

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Get a trackman session done. That's what I did to get carry and total yardage for my clubs. Cost me $75 and I have a card on my bag that lists them all. Here's my numbers which are available in my trackman account.IMG_0683.JPG

Get a trackman session done. That's what I did to get carry and total yardage for my clubs. Cost me $75 and I have a card on my bag that lists them all. Here's my numbers which are available in my trackman account.attachicon.gifIMG_0683.JPG

I really want to get this done and have been putting it off. I guess I don't want to actually see the results. I'd much prefer to think I still hit my 6 iron 175. Ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Don't worry Carolina, you still will, it's the internet!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Honestly it hard to get carry distance without some sort of launch monitor, you can use a GPS device and measure from the fairway to the ball mark on the green for iron distances but that requires that

A. you actually hit the green! ( for some of us that's not that easy with longer irons)

B. your ball actually leaves a mark (in Southeast Texas in the summer that may not happen)

C. you can distinguish your ball mark from others that nobody repaired

And of course this doesn't help with carry distances with woods.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Archived