TESTERS WANTED! ×

Design your own shaft

BDubya23

I've been browsing through driver shafts recently, just window shopping, looking at all the awesome artwork that goes into them. I think my favorite at the moment is the Project X Even Flow in blue, it looks amazing.

Anyway, I'm curious what ideas you would come up with if you were given the chance to design your own shaft. Would you show some wild side with vibrant colors? Keep it classy? What would it be?

I like the idea of having a chameleon-like paint job that sorta changes color in different lights. From dark purple to blue to maybe green.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

The itobori bamboo shafts are , I am on a vintage kick. A hickory wrap on them would be cool, and some old school tall ferrules.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

They should've put a hickory wrap or something on that F7 persimmon driver.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Royal blue with a smoke effect fading in to black.  But mostly anything in blue :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Old school barbershop design with white and a red stripe wrapping around it.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Old school barbershop design with white and a red stripe wrapping around it.

So like a candy cane?

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Seems to me the graphics on most shafts have become as much of a selling point as the performance qualities. I will say that as long as the shaft color or graphic isn't gaudy or distracting I don't really care how they look. Subdued or monotone is more to my liking.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

So like a candy cane?

Thicker than a candy cane. But right idea

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I just want one that matches the clubhead. If it faded into a matching grip, that would be an extra little bonus.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Seems to me the graphics on most shafts have become as much of a selling point as the performance qualities. I will say that as long as the shaft color or graphic isn't gaudy or distracting I don't really care how they look. Subdued or monotone is more to my liking.

... I am with you and really don't get the accessorizing of golf equipment. I read stuff on the other forum where golfers won't play a club they admit works perfectly because the don't like the graphics. And with the different colored heads today is is sometimes difficult to match a shaft for a "sick look". I have found a mid flex, mid spin and mid torque shaft works best for me. So I have a Black and White Rogue, a bright Yellow and Cream MT6 and a blackish gray with a Blue stripe Tensei Blue I have used in my clubs and never once considered graphics or colors.

...  Now I get if you are fashion conscious and there is a shaft that matches your club AND it performs very well why not have a stylish looking combo? But color and graphics should be the last thing you look a, not the first because it is a performance based sport and the only aesthetics I want to see are the circles and double circles on my scorecard. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... I am with you and really don't get the accessorizing of golf equipment. I read stuff on the other forum where golfers won't play a club they admit works perfectly because the don't like the graphics, the look of the cavity that can't see at address or something unfashionable on the sole. And with the different colored heads today is is sometimes difficult to match a shaft for a "sick look". I have found a mid flex, mid spin and mid torque shaft works best for me. So I have a Black and White Rogue, a bright Yellow and Cream MT6 and a Blackish Gray with a Blue stripe Tensei CK Blue I have used in my drivers and never once considered graphics or colors.

... I just bought some Hot Pink Recoil 95 Prototype 3-pw shafts that sell for $650 or more after putting in a bid of $299 I never thought would win. I have the regular Recoil 110/95s and love them so figured the Prototypes were worth a shot. 

...  Now I get if you are fashion conscious and there is a shaft that matches your club AND it performs very well why not have a stylish looking combo? But color and graphics should be the last thing you look a, not the first because it is a performance based sport and the only aesthetics I want to see are the circles and double circles on my scorecard. 

I'm using an Aldila R.I.P. right now, actually for the last 5 years.... it just works for me. I really like simple and clean.... in lines and colors. This shaft looks bad ass in flat black with the red eyes skull...lol.

So, I guess I would keep things simple as far as color and graphics. I don't mind a few well placed, subtle graphics or accent colors..... just keep it tasteful.

I'm using an Aldila R.I.P. right now, actually for the last 5 years.... it just works for me. I really like simple and clean.... in lines and colors. This shaft looks bad ass in flat black with the red eyes skull...lol.

So, I guess I would keep things simple as far as color and graphics. I don't mind a few well placed, subtle graphics or accent colors..... just keep it tasteful.

... Right there with you but therein lies the difficulty for OEM's. What is tasteful to you or I may be different to others. Back when shafts were basically black or gray and you chose your shaft by performance, there were not a lot of aesthetic reasons to dislike a shaft. Now we have folks that love/hate Fujikura's big lettered graphics or the bright yellow AD-MT shafts because they are so perfect looking or they are not tasteful. I get there is a whole generation out there that needs to make a fashion statement and it has been a boon for clothes, belts and some club design. But it really is a nightmare for the OEM attempting to bring out a new product that might be too flashy or too dull. 

Archived