TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting Problems...help!

GeekingGolf

golf-putters-967487_960_720.jpg

The weakest part of my game is putting. I truly believe I have a pretty decent stroke but my putting stats remain around 35-41 per round. Its terrible because I am pretty good off the tee and to the green but putting is killing me. I have tried an Odyssey 2 ball putter, Odyssey Versa 1W, Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2B, and the EVNROLL ER2. I have since sold everything but the Ping and primarily like it due to the color, it's black, and the counterbalancing. It feels heavy and for some reason I like that. I am looking to the MGS community for suggestions on some putters to try. I am not looking for brand new 2017 Toulon Designs or anything that costs a lot of money. Maybe there is something from years past that might work. Please help me gather a short list of 5 putters to try out. I love the look of blades but have started to think that maybe a high MOI putter would be better because it would remove the putter consistency variable. Help!!!

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

This is just my OPINION. I have used several different putters, as well as took lessons(from the club pro). I'm convinced it's a talent. Meaning you got it, or you don't. I don't. I work really hard with my irons and wedges to get it as close as I can. You can give me a $500 Scotty and it not gonna make a difference. Once again it's my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Without seeing you putt can't really diagnose whats wrong. However 2 things I did that improved my putting greatly is got a cameron golo 5 (switched from a blade) and keeping my head down. I used to try to watch the ball. Now I keep looking at the same spot where the ball was for a 3 count. Its helped, I have had one 3 putt in my last 4 rounds since focusing on this

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

In order for a putter to work well for you, I firmly believe it has to look right to you, have the feel you're looking for, and have the alignment features that work best for your eyes. Getting custom fitted is one great way to figure this out. I was not custom fitted but I got lucky and was chosen as a tester for the Sentio Sierra putters back in December and it ended up being the perfect putter for me. I now have a ton of confidence when I'm standing over the ball and short putts no longer terrify me. You just have to find what works best for you. There's also that little thing called practice that helps a bit as well if you want to give it a try. :)

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Without seeing you putt can't really diagnose whats wrong. However 2 things I did that improved my putting greatly is got a cameron golo 5 (switched from a blade) and keeping my head down. I used to try to watch the ball. Now I keep looking at the same spot where the ball was for a 3 count. Its helped, I have had one 3 putt in my last 4 rounds since focusing on this

Great advice. I have definitely been looking at some Scottys but am a bit concerned that I could get a fake. I am looking on eBay. I probably need a bit more practice and need to keep my head down better. Its weird on the practice green I can keep my head down but in a real round of golf I have a tendency to look up quickly even with my iron shots.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

Get fitted!!!

Barring that, what kind of putting stroke do you have? Straight? Arced? Without knowing that, it's really hard to make any kind of recommendation and you may be playing the wrong type of putter entirely.

Check this out

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Get fitted!!!

Barring that, what kind of putting stroke do you have? Straight? Arced? Without knowing that, it's really hard to make any kind of recommendation and you may be playing the wrong type of putter entirely.

Check this out

Slight Arc

Bryson DeChambeau

I think this is a case where the Indian need to practice before looking for more arrows.

All the putters you mentioned are quality putters of various styles, really the first place I would start would be a putter fitting.

You are in Pensacola area so there should be some good options for you, you need to figure out what type of stroke you have, is it straight back straight through or is it more of an arc?

Different putters work better for certain strokes, face balanced mallets tend to work better for SBST putters.

What's your miss when putting? Pulls? Pushes? Speed? Or do you need to learn to read greens better?

I struggled with putting for years and then I went to a clinic on putting at an area course, the first thing the guy told me was I was a SBST putter but I was using an anser style putter and the heel weighting was fighting my natural stroke.

I switched yo a face balanced mallet, found some drills online and went to work, now I'm considered one of the better putters at my club.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Slight Arc

Try what I'm gaming right now, the new Ping Sigma Kushin. It's in the middle ground between a blade and a mallet. Works best for very slight arc putting path which is what I have.

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Great advice. I have definitely been looking at some Scottys but am a bit concerned that I could get a fake. I am looking on eBay. I probably need a bit more practice and need to keep my head down better. Its weird on the practice green I can keep my head down but in a real round of golf I have a tendency to look up quickly even with my iron shots.

You can ask for the SN and Scotty can't verify this without the club but they can tell you the SN model. So if the model at least matches your safer. 

I spent the extra $ to get it new from reputable big box store, because I was afraid of getting a fake. Worth the extra money. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I think this is a case where the Indian need to practice before looking for more arrows.

All the putters you mentioned are quality putters of various styles, really the first place I would start would be a putter fitting.

You are in Pensacola area so there should be some good options for you, you need to figure out what type of stroke you have, is it straight back straight through or is it more of an arc?

Different putters work better for certain strokes, face balanced mallets tend to work better for SBST putters.

What's your miss when putting? Pulls? Pushes? Speed? Or do you need to learn to read greens better?

I struggled with putting for years and then I went to a clinic on putting at an area course, the first thing the guy told me was I was a SBST putter but I was using an anser style putter and the heel weighting was fighting my natural stroke.

I switched yo a face balanced mallet, found some drills online and went to work, now I'm considered one of the better putters at my club.

I am starting the wonder the same thing. Is it green reading that is my problem? I am going to look into the clinic idea as well to see if there is one here close that I could attend.

Bryson DeChambeau

I am an idiot everyone. So I just realized that I have used the iPing app on my phone all the time during practice in my house or on the greens. So it recommends slight arc putter with 22* lie angle (orange color code) and loft of 3*. I apologize I just smacked myself across the face with my glove.

Bryson DeChambeau

Check out the putters Bobby Grace did for Macgregor. The high MOI in the V-Foil lineup was ahead of its time and you can find them cheap on "the Bay".

On the subject of your putting stats, virtually every golfer I know would benefit from lighter grip pressure.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I am an idiot everyone. So I just realized that I have used the iPing app on my phone all the time during practice in my house or on the greens. So it recommends slight arc putter with 22* lie angle (orange color code) and loft of 3*. I apologize I just smacked myself across the face with my glove.

I believe that Ping putter orange dot is 2* flat which puts the lie angle at 68* assuming 70* is black dot.

I firmly believe that any good putter can putt well with any putter, but they will putt better with a putter that matches their stroke.  I also believe that anyone can become a decent putter with practice.  I say that because I was a horrible putter when I started playing 25 years ago.  My issue was speed control.  I worked very hard at getting the feel of putting, and it involves soft hands and no flipping.

A few years ago I went to looking at the hole for all my putts.  You can do a search on the thread; there are a couple.  I was one of those that would look up during my stroke.  By looking at the hole, there is no looking up because I already am!  It's also like throwing a baseball, darts, horseshoes.  Once I get my read and align the ball and my putter, I make my stroke.  Distance control is much better, and if I read the putt correctly, I make more putts too.  I typically average about 29-30 putts per round, but many of those are from chip and putts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I rock my shoulders and stick my right elbow into my side. My hands don't do anything but hold the putter. I make it a point to keep everything below my belt absolutely still. Longer putt- bigger rock and no hit at the bottom.

Number of putts is a misleading stat. I would take 35-41 putts if I hit every green. Means you are under to about 5 over par. Let's dig deeper:

You say you are a decent putter so let's qualify that statement. Do you have trouble with distance and are leaving yourself long second putts? Do you blow the hole by the hole on short putts leaving a long second putt? Do generally miss to one side or the other. On different length putts do you change putter speed or length of stroke? Can you start your putt on your intended line consistently?

In the end do you want to fit a putter to your stroke or do you want to build a stoke to fit the putter?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am starting the wonder the same thing. Is it green reading that is my problem? I am going to look into the clinic idea as well to see if there is one here close that I could attend.

Usually it is a question of what is your miss for a start. Long, short, high side, low. The idea of a bad read(er) is a tough one. Fair enough hitting a putt 2 inches by but where you aimed it is a bad read, but a good stroke... The bad reader mindset is the one thing that gets overdone imo. Unless you need glasses or something its just a matter of time spent to sort it out and many of the "bad readers" Ive known beat themselves up when a up/down hill slope breaks way different than they thought it might. Rolling a ball underhand up and down or across slopes after the hole is done has made green reading much easier thing for many.

The thing that really helped years ago was Penicks advice of "Hit a Solid Putt".

The first thing realized was that solid wasnt fast or hard or any of that. The idea is about center putter face with good roll be it 2 feet or 10. This in turn lead to seeing what I needed to do to square the face to my line and some little tweeks that I needed to make were found. Ball position etc... Lots of time on the practice green of course but the over all intention of hitting a solid putt did wonders, and then finding a putter that allowed me to easily hit a 'solid putt' was the next step. Slightly heavier than the norm worked for me and the same one has been in the bag since then.

You sure about that lie angle?

I recently switched to opposite-hand-lower for anything beyond 5', and claw for the short putts, and I'm having a lot more success starting the ball on the line I set. I'll still push one occasionally but I'm holing a lot more putts than before, especially the short sketchy ones. The claw grip feels invincible, but I can't control distance with it so longer putts are a no go. Maybe you could consider switching up your style?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

For myself I was a decent putter, but never got good until I made the switch and focused on toe down putting.  If you are toe up, your alignment and eyeline may be working against each other.  changing the stroke or getting a putter like a cleveland, or Seemore with alignment aids that work no matter how you hold your putter.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

You sure about that lie angle?

Yeah I think it has to do with some other angle maybe hosel or something like that

Bryson DeChambeau

Followed your advice today kept my head down well after the stroke really improved my putting. I didn't while every putt but had 31 putts which is really good for me. Made a bunch of 1 putts. I really appreciate your help there now I can only get better from here. The course I play on has grain so understanding how that looks helped as well.

Bryson DeChambeau

See if you can find a SeeMore instructor in your area, they can fit you for a putter and give you some lessons.

You can also look for an aim point clinic to learn more about reading greens.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

See if you can find a SeeMore instructor in your area, they can fit you for a putter and give you some lessons.

You can also look for an aim point clinic to learn more about reading greens.

Thanks TBT

Bryson DeChambeau

I've been working on my putting this year. I've always had a mallet or mid mallet.

Got a simple 8802 Style putter and it's like putting on train tracks when I'm on.

I tried a bunch this year, and this one is the only I feel like it isn't fighting my Ugly putting stroke.

I've been working on my putting this year. I've always had a mallet or mid mallet.

Got a simple 8802 Style putter and it's like putting on train tracks when I'm on.

I tried a bunch this year, and this one is the only I feel like it isn't fighting my Ugly putting stroke.

Been looking for that Cobra

Bryson DeChambeau

Been looking for that Cobra

There are a ton of different brands. If you are looking for new, there is the Wilson 8802, Ping Tess... google 8802 style putters. You'll find at least 50 different kinds. They are all roughly the same weight, and construction.

- Alan

Yeah I think it has to do with some other angle maybe hosel or something like that

Something must be lost in translation, that's an impossible lie angle.

Something must be lost in translation, that's an impossible lie angle.

IMG_1662.PNG

Bryson DeChambeau

Archived