Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Sometimes newer isn't better (at least for me)

chershey

So back around October of last year, I picked up a used XR16 Sub Zero driver after testing out a friends and fell in love. It was longer than my Ping G LS Tec, seemed really easy to hit and gave me some of the best launch monitor numbers I've ever had:

IMG_1063.JPG

I also really liked how the smaller head looked behind the ball. I was having more fun playing this driver than any I had ever had, but I also knew the EPIC SZ was coming out soon and thought, "If I'm getting drives like this out of the older XR16 SZ, just imagine what all that technology in the new EPIC SZ is going to give me!"

I pre-ordered the EPIC SZ without any testing and put it in play. The first round was decent but not spectacular. It wasn't any better than the older driver, but because I had built this new driver up in my head so much, it seemed better. Then we went through a dry spell, with no rain, and I hit a few drives that seemed like bombers because of all the roll out I was getting on the fairways. I had two drives that registed over 300 on my Gamegolf tracking device and was pumped. It seemed to affirm that this new driver really was the greatest thing since Guiness was created (was sliced bread really that big a deal!). Unfortunately, we have now gotten a lot of rain and reality has started to set in. Because I'm not getting the roll out anymore, my driver numbers have started to go way down. Here's my Gamegolf driving statistics with the EPIC SZ since I put it in play:

EPIC SZ Driving numbers

withEPICSZ.jpg

Now, when I was playing with the XR16 SZ, we were in a rainy season, so I wasn't getting a ton of rollout, but take a look at my overall driving numbers below:

XR16 Driving numbers

WithXR16SZ.jpg

Not only was I longer with the older driver but I also was hitting more fairways. The last couple of days, I took both drivers out to the range and, sure enough, it looks like I'm carrying the XR16 SZ further, with a better trajectory. What I've proven to myself is that sometimes you just have to accept that you aren't going to gain something everytime an amazing looking new driver comes out. Just enjoy what you have and spend your time and and money playing the game. The older driver is being put back into play this Saturday, so I will let you know hot it goes.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Those numbers look like implied smash factors -- or are you just a God? I'd kill to have 1.45+ every time.

This is my one gripe about launch monitors. Why would it imply that I'm being that efficient? Seems like an easy way to be misfit into your driver. If you're not finding the middle, is it your swing, or could something be tweaked? It's really what is keeping me from getting an iron fitting - I don't think there are any Mizzy reps who do range fittings in Hawaii :( I want to see the ball fly! Not go into a tarp!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Those numbers look like implied smash factors -- or are you just a God? I'd kill to have 1.45+ every time.

This is my one gripe about launch monitors. Why would it imply that I'm being that efficient? Seems like an easy way to be misfit into your driver. If you're not finding the middle, is it your swing, or could something be tweaked? It's really what is keeping me from getting an iron fitting - I don't think there are any Mizzy reps who do range fittings in Hawaii :( I want to see the ball fly! Not go into a tarp!

He's likely hitting on a simulator that doesn't measure club head speed and the 1.45 smash factor is a number that is preset within the software by the store.

Only look at ball speeds when this is the case

He's likely hitting on a simulator that doesn't measure club head speed and the 1.45 smash factor is a number that is preset within the software by the store.

Only look at ball speeds when this is the case

So it takes ball speed and then estimates club head speed based off of that 1.45?

So it takes ball speed and then estimates club head speed based off of that 1.45?

Yep, it's a GC2 launch monitor without an HMT. The HMT is required to measure clubhead data. The new GC Quad has an integrated HMT so it's not an issue. I get tired of arguing with people working at golf stores that don't understand that it's not the real swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've got the Callaway RAZR fit (2012) and nothing has been able to outperform it yet.

Also, can we expect an Epic SZ to hit the classifieds section sometime soon?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Haha, yep, most likely! The decision will be made on Saturday after my round.

Yup - smash factor = Ball speed / Club Speed

So Club speed = Ball Speed / Smash Factor

or in this case, Club Speed = Ball Speed / 1.45

Yup - smash factor = Ball speed / Club Speed

So Club speed = Ball Speed / Smash Factor

or in this case, Club Speed = Ball Speed / 1.45

Yeah, I knew the conversion from my fitting, just didn't know GC2 was ball data only - interesting! So the question still remains -- is that data alone enough to warrant a purchase for you guys? Wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't trust it as much as an open range. I've mentioned this in the fitting thread before, but maybe this will get more replies since it's not in a category towards the bottom of the forums.

Yeah, I knew the conversion from my fitting, just didn't know GC2 was ball data only - interesting! So the question still remains -- is that data alone enough to warrant a purchase for you guys? Wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't trust it as much as an open range. I've mentioned this in the fitting thread before, but maybe this will get more replies since it's not in a category towards the bottom of the forums.

I do take simulator/net fittings with a grain of salt. Actually seeing the ball flight makes a world of difference in my decision

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Today's round of golf confirmed that I can hit the XR16 SZ just as well, if not better than the EPIC SZ. There will be an EPIC offering on the classifieds soon.

An open range with a launch monitor is definitely the best way to make a decision in my mind. A demo day is a great place for that option if you can find one. One good thing about the fitter in my area is that they have demo clubs they will let you borrow for a few days so you can hit them outside. That way if they fit you into a driver, you can confirm that you hit it as well outside as you did inside.

Do both drivers have the same shaft?

If not have you tried swapping shafts to see if that's the bigger issue?

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Do both drivers have the same shaft?

If not have you tried swapping shafts to see if that's the bigger issue?

Yep, when I tested between the two drivers, I used the same shaft in both.

So I did some testing today to figure out why I'm getting better results on the course with the XR16 SZ vs the EPIC SZ. Using my ES14 launch monitor, that really only measures ball speed and clubhead speed, I hit both drivers side by side, swapping out the same shaft between heads. With the XR16 SZ I was getting ball speeds right inline with what I saw on the GC2 launch monitor (152-156). With the EPIC SZ, I was struggling to get my ball speed into the 150s. Weird. My jailbreak technology must be broken! :) What it has to come down to is that I'm striking the XR16 SZ better for some reason. Maybe it's the smaller club head. I'm not sure, but I'm definitely sticking with the XR16.

Got fit over the winter and ended up with all new Titleist gear. They are not bad clubs but right now they are all gathering dust in my golf room in favor of older gear that I have played with. I have the 816 DBD drive and 816 FW along with an X2Hot pro hybrid. Irons are Apex Pros from 2014 and the wedges are the only newish thing in my bag right now. I went back to the older stuff and have not played this well all year.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I found out the hard way on this one. My last hybrid was a cobra AMP 3 at 19 degrees with the stock "Aldila" made for Stiff shaft in it, and I could bomb it. At the time I was upgrading my driver and fairway wood so decided to "upgrade" my hybrid to something shiny and new, so I picked up my current Wilson FG Tour M3 adjustable, then. upgraded the shaft to a RIP Phenom Tour X ( since I play x stiff in my irons). While this hybrid is very good, it's still not my old cobra AMP.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

You all remember this thread the next time your eyes get locked onto another woman. It just might cost you a lot of money, you'll end up confused, and you will soon likely just want to go back to the old one. At least your driver will take you back.

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

You all remember this thread the next time your eyes get locked onto another woman. It just might cost you a lot of money, you'll end up confused, and you will soon likely just want to go back to the old one. At least your driver will take you back.

Married 16 years and with my wife for 21 and am 40 years old. The wandering eye has passed me by a long time ago :)

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I agree. New isn't always better. I still play the JPX 850 driver because it's really close in numbers to everything new.

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

What I've proven to myself is that sometimes you just have to accept that you aren't going to gain something everytime an amazing looking new ______ comes out. Just enjoy what you have and spend your time and and money playing the game. The older ____ is being put back into play......

First - totally agree on Guinness!

But on the club topic:

Just did basically the same thing with my XR 4-hybrid. Got it earlier this season and really like it .. in fact, liking it more and more each time I get out. Finding I'm using it more and more for a variety of shots .. eg. truly becoming a "utility" club for me.

So... I see a Steelhead XR 4H, like new and with an additional discount on CallawayPreOwned, with a Recoil shaft. Have Recoils in my irons so figured this was a no-brainer clubhead plus shaft two upgrades in one.

Played it once (no, didn't bother to take both to the range to hit side by side) and sent it back (90% store credit).

The older XR is staying and playing for a while!

Oh, PS:

Based on that almost started a "Club Ho's Regrets" thread but looks like this is it now!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived