TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unofficial Review - Orange Whip Training Aid

jhellrung

Nice review. While as you said there is no technical data I thing you provided objective aspects to the review that will answer questions that people have about the aid

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My dad has one if these. Not sure how much he has used it. I have only swung it a few times. But I may have to pick his brain and see if he's been using it at all. I think if anything he uses it before he plays cuz he doesn't hit on the range. I know after I swung it a few times my driver felt extremely light! Which is expected, IMO. Thanks for the review!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have an orange whip and rarely use it but two things I love(d) about it is swinging a few times before teeing off if I didn't have a chance to hit he range.  Was a quick way to loosen up and on the first tee actually gives you the "donut on the bat" effect although this wears off after that initial tee shot usually.

The second thing is it really does do a good job getting me to feel tempo as I have a tendency to get very quick and start hitting the ball like crap.

I'd say the orange whip is my second favorite training aid next to the Tour Striker Pro.

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Thanks for this.  Good objective thoughts.  

I was especially interested in hearing that you feel it has helped your tempo.  I think that's one of the areas i need the most help.  I have a regular golf buddy who has this in his bag.  I've been tempted to grab it and try it.  I'll have to ask him more about it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks for this. Good objective thoughts.

I was especially interested in hearing that you feel it has helped your tempo. I think that's one of the areas i need the most help. I have a regular golf buddy who has this in his bag. I've been tempted to grab it and try it. I'll have to ask him more about it.

It's a good thing to have and I use mine every time pre round

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I bought an Orange Whip training aid at the recommendation of a friend who is a former college golf coach.  He recommended it for any golfer that has trouble getting to the range on a daily basis.  I took his advice and have now had the whip in my bag for the last three weeks.  What follows are my findings after using the whip every day as recommended on the company's website.  I have no connection to the Orange Whip company, and am not receiving any compensation in exchange for this review.  

Orange Whip's Claims

The Orange Whip website claims that the whip will: 

1) Quickly improve your golf game with 5-10 minutes of practice, which can be done anywhere (8-minute abs anyone!?)

2) Increase flexibility - "the weight on each end provides a low impact stretch when swinging"

3) Increase strength - the whip provides a core workout as well as a wrist/forearm workout

4) enhance coordination - The whip synchonizes the arms and body by making the user feel out of balance or awkward if used improperly. 

5) balance tempo - "as the arms and body work together, a natural rhythm takes ove rthe swing.  This is how your temp develops, some may be fast or slow, yet always in balance with an efficient motion. 

My Testing Method

I watched each of the drill videos available on the website, and as recommended by Orange Whip made a routine where I would do 3 sets of 3 different exercises using the tool.  I did the drills before each range session (either at my club or in my back yard) and before each round of golf.  I have been using the tool every day for approximately 3 weeks. 

My prior experience with training aids is relatively limited.  I own a medicus iron and a back yard driving net - both of which I use pretty frequently.  

My results are purely subjective, and not scientific (sorry MGS).  I am basing my review on my experience with the Orange Whip and how I think it has impacted my game.  I don't even have hard data showing what the tool has done to my handicap since I've only been playing with it a few weeks. 

My findings

I'll address these claims in order based on my experience with the whip when I used it as directed on the company website.

Quick Training Resource - True to the website's claim, I could complete the drills in 5-10 minutes.  To tell the truth, it was hard completing the full routine each day because I got bored doing it, but I stuck with it.  

Increased Flexibility - I do feel more flexible after using the tool.  It is a great way to warm up before a round, even before hitting balls at the range.  I find myself with a greater range of motion, and don't feel nearly as stiff than I used to when stepping up to the range for warm ups.  If I don't feel like carting the tool around, I can even use it in the parking lot before a round and leave it in my car.  Whether the tool does a good job actually increasing flexibility over time is yet to be determined, but I can definitely feel the tool stretch out my core and shoulders when I use it during drills.  

Increased Strength - I don't feel stronger from having used the tool  It is true that the tool forces you to engage all parts of your body to whip it forward (more on that below) but I don't feel like I am swinging any harder or stronger than I was before.  

Enhanced tempo - I have definitely felt an improved tempo having used the orange whip.  It forces my hips, arms, torso and shoulders to work together to get the ball back, loaded, and whipped forward. If any of these pieces fall behind or ahead, the weight at the end of the whip lets me know because it just feels wrong.  I noticed results at the range almost immediately after starting with the whip.  When I swing in tempo I get better accuracy and elevation.  

Balance Tempo - Similar to the previous paragraph, the tool lets me know when something is out of tempo with my swing.  Most of the time I can feel before I hit the ball whether it will be a good shot or not based on whether my body feels in synch.  

Unexpected Benefit - The whip helped me to find that my swing was a little bit shallow, which caused me to occasionally push the ball right or flip over the club and hook the ball.  Using the whip helped me get my swing back on plane without falling in the other direction and developing a slice.  I think this benefit came from the weighted nature of the device - similar to a medicus, it forces your body to swing on plane. However the whip really allows you to take a full and dedicated swing, which I find more difficult with the medicus.  

Overall Findings and Conclusion

If you struggle with inconsistent shot shape (as opposed to hitting it fat, thin, or shanking it), then I highly recommend the Orange Whip.  I never quite realized how much tempo matters to a good golf game.  I had always been told of its imporance, but the OW really helped me see what I was missing.  The whip is a great warm up tool, and while I don't think it made me any stronger, I do believe it has made me a more confident golfer with a more compact, unified golf swing.

Great review!  Appreciated that.... I recently bought the SKLZ Gold Flex.  While not quite the same it is about 1/2 the price and achieves a lot of the objectives you listed.  Never have tried the OW so I can't really compare the 2 but I think both are excellent tools!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this!

I was given an OW as a Christmas gift and was curious if anyone in the forum had experience with it.

I am interested to see what it has to teach me about my golf swing.  I feel that any improvement in tempo will help me improve on the course.  The increased flexibility will be a nice bonus.

I will be curious to see if I am able to commit to practicing with it the recommended 5-10minutes every day or if this will become something that I know I should do, but always find a reason not to.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I've had an OW for several years. I keep it out on the patio where it's handy. Many times when I'm out there I reach for it and swing away for a few minutes. I've never taken mine to the course and used it prior to practicing or playing. I think however that the whip is effective especially for tempo and keeping everything in sequence. The weight of it seems to help with getting the shoulders rotated properly too. The OW is also a good stretch. Overall I think the OW is a good tool to keep at your disposal.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I bought the Skilz Gold Flex (same thing as Orange Whip but cheaper) a few years ago; didn't use it much.  This last spring I started using it every day I play to stretch out, and now I have it in my bag all the time.  It's there when I head to the range, or if I don't have much time before teeing off, it's there for 20 or 30 swings,  Start off slow and then gradually increase speed; swing both right and left handed to get the most benefit.  Enjoy!  It's a good investment.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I was happy to see this topic bumped - I got an OW for Christmas which I had asked for to try to help my tempo.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I was happy to see this topic bumped - I got an OW for Christmas which I had asked for to try to help my tempo.

How do you like it?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

How do you like it?

I've only had one session where I was able to do all the exercises, but haven't really swung it hard yet. The balance issue that the OP mentioned hadn't occurred to me, so I plan on trying hard swings tonight. 

4 hours ago, TSauer said:

How do you like it?

Update: just got done doing the entire routine as recommended on the website. I think it's going to work out for me. As I accelerate the swing, I can feel when I'm fighting it versus letting it work. I can also feel when I am not getting a complete follow-through, which I know has been a tendency ever since I started having back issues a couple years ago. I'll report more as I get further along.

Update: just got done doing the entire routine as recommended on the website. I think it's going to work out for me. As I accelerate the swing, I can feel when I'm fighting it versus letting it work. I can also feel when I am not getting a complete follow-through, which I know has been a tendency ever since I started having back issues a couple years ago. I'll report more as I get further along.

Awesome, appreciate the update! Have you ever used the SKILZ version of this? I've heard awesome things about the OW, just can't bring myself to buy one at that price. Looking forward to hearing how it works for ya

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

Awesome, appreciate the update! Have you ever used the SKILZ version of this? I've heard awesome things about the OW, just can't bring myself to buy one at that price. Looking forward to hearing how it works for ya

I have been using the Skilz for several months and I like it.  I liked the price too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, TSauer said:

I have not tried the SKILZ version. It is not entirely clear to me why the OW is so much more expensive since they both seem to be very similar.

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I have not tried the SKILZ version. It is not entirely clear to me why the OW is so much more expensive since they both seem to be very similar.

There are some differences, so it will likely come down to what you really want it for.

1. Yes, the OW is twice the price.
  2. The OW shaft is more flexible than the Skilz; the Skilz flexes closer to the head.
  3. The OW is heavier by about 0.25 lbs, but the Skilz feels heavier when swinging.

If you are looking for an aid for strength and flexibility improvement, then the Skilz would be better.
If you are looking for an aid to improve tempo, the OW is probably better.

9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

There are some differences, so it will likely come down to what you really want it for.

2. The OW shaft is more flexible than the Skilz; the Skilz flexes closer to the head.
  3. The OW is heavier by about 0.25 lbs, but the Skilz feels heavier when swinging.

If you are looking for an aid for strength and flexibility improvement, then the Skilz would be better.

I have the SKLZ version... I cheaped out and went for the one that is half the price, but I have a friend who has the orange whip and Kenny described the differences quite well.  The whip is more flexible and bends closer to the midpoint of the shaft so it really forces you to slow down and feel where the "ball" is on your swing; excellent for getting that right tempo in regards to where you should stop the backswing and start the downswing.

I find that the SKLZ is good for a pre round warmup.  It's a bit stiffer (some may say a lot) but still has some flex to it.  I use it to warm up; start slow and then gradually go faster and it loosens up your body.  It's okay for tempo but - as KB said - the whip is better for that.

Can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

54 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I have both the Gold Flex and the Orange Whip .. as I'd originally thought they were both effectively the same thing too .. and was about to chime in with something very similar to what KennyB and GS_Stroker (Ace!) just said .. he/they concisely nailed it!

Or...
The OW can and will help improve strength and flexibility but the "GF" is better in this particular aspect; conversely as a swing training aid the OW is better. Much better, IMHO. 

Since I've picked up mine (found a new 'open box' on eBay for $80 shipped .. so keep searching) the GF has been sitting in the "extras" bag in the garage. In fact, I like the Orange Whip so much I'm going to add the "Compact" version. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, forgot to include:

The OW can be used - as is suggested in the illustrated guide that comes with it - one-handed; the Gold Flex pretty much not (unless you're The Rock).

That exercise .. in addition to the starter one where they suggest simply twisting back and through .. may seem deceptively simple but after spending time with it you'll see how effective it becomes.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh, forgot to include:

The OW can be used - as is suggested in the illustrated guide that comes with it - one-handed; the Gold Flex pretty much not (unless you're The Rock).

That exercise .. in addition to the starter one where they suggest simply twisting back and through .. may seem deceptively simple but after spending time with it you'll see how effective it becomes.

I'm not in the greatest shape, but decent for my age and when I did the full routine with the OW last night, I felt it. It was actually a decent workout. 

• 11 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 1:00 PM, cksurfdude said:

The OW can and will help improve strength and flexibility but the "GF" is better in this particular aspect; 

OOOPs when I first read this I thought GF meant Girl Friend.  Thanks for clearing that up 😉

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

OOOPs when I first read this I thought GF meant Girl Friend.  Thanks for clearing that up 😉

Ha ha! Well, OTOH, a good GF or SO can do things for you that neither golf gadget ever could...... 😆🤣😜

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Ha ha! Well, OTOH, a good GF or SO can do things for you that neither golf gadget ever could...... 😆🤣😜

Yes, but either golf gadget costs much less.  😎

You can purchase a Rukket Redhead for less than half the price of the Orange Whip. Use promo code TWITTER when ordering to save an additional 15%. It seems to work for Brendon Todd.

image.png.7e31836992e8a97b4835450710560f4f.png

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

39 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

You can purchase a Rukket Redhead for less than half the price of the Orange Whip. Use promo code TWITTER when ordering to save an additional 15%. It seems to work for Brendon Todd.

image.png.7e31836992e8a97b4835450710560f4f.png

Good find. Rukket makes good stuff. Just from looking at the picture, though, it looks to me at least that this is more alike to the SKLZ Gold Flex..?

..which is also a good training aid, just a little different than the Orange Whip as was discussed a bit earlier in this thread.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg