TESTERS WANTED! ×

Slow Play

STUDque

If there is a really slow group in front of me and I'm solo, I'll hit two or three balls to keep pace, if I'm in a group behind some slow players we usually will have chipping contests or putting contests to kill time if we aren't holding up another group.

If it's obvious that there is room ahead of the group and we have been waiting on several holes then I might ask to play through.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

My course allows one fivesum per hour. I often play in a fivesum and our rule is when you get to the green the furthest from the hole putts out and proceeds to the next t box and hits his drive. We are all walkers and we play in four hours or less. The course is just less than 7000 yards. We are all at least 60 years old and up to 72 and our highest handicap is 14 and the lowest 6.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 1 month later...

I know I'm bringing up a thread no one used in a while but today was horrible. 3 hours for 9 holes I left because I couldn't take it anymore. Groups ahead of me standing around on tee boxes waiting for the group ahead to putt and the group ahead of them just teeing off. I said something and all I got was there's a large group ahead that plays twice a week and it's always like this. I fixed so many ball marks on the greens from the group's I don't know how anyone way putting well with all the marks from chips and full shots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Darn politicians hogging up the course. I'd consider blacklisting because I don't have much tolerance for a course that regularly has slow play. Especially during a weekday round.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Slow play drives me craaaaazy... Several years ago, playing on a course in Griffith Park, in LA, I hit the 5 1/2 hour mark on the 14th tee box and just walked off-   I am a walker, and the folks I usually play with are walkers as well, and we are usually well under the 4 hour mark.  I am thinking about my next shot as I am approaching my ball- now things may change based on the lie or trees or other hazards, but if I am in the fairway, I am looking at the green, where I want to land the ball (short, long, middle, etc) get the distance, visualize the shot, pull the club and fire.  I encourage those with me to act in a similar manner- not running from shot to shot, but no need to meander all over the course- get to your ball, figure out your shot, and execute. 

We have one particular guy- nice enough but very deliberate-  who has to analyze everything - in a particular order- for example, he cant get his distance until it is his turn- come on- read the distance while you are waiting, go thru your routine and your practice swings so you are ready when it is "your turn."  And as far as I am concerned, that is a misnomer as well - we are not playing the US Open- it is a friendly weekend match or just for fun - play READY GOLF...

BTW, while waiting on the green, please fix your ball mark and two others, while on the tee box, pick up any loose or broken tees and place them in the trash or the little tee cup that some courses have - those things will tear up mower blades...  and it gives you something to do while you are waiting on the folks playing the US OPEN  in front of you!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

My foursome has brought baseball mits and a ball to throw around. Also a football.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

My foursome has brought baseball mits and a ball to throw around. Also a football.

Never thought of doing that, usually we just chip balls at each other.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I have a few birdie balls in my bag, so in between shots during slow round if I'm not on mygolfspy I'd pick a target drop a towel then go to town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a few birdie balls in my bag, so in between shots during slow round if I'm not on mygolfspy I'd pick a target drop a towel then go to town.

That's really sad that these time killing methods are even necessary.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I have a couple dozen birdie balls lying around, thanks for the tip.

The worst part is come courses don't do anything about it.

In 40 years of golf I have played only a few courses that actually do something about slow play. Most places have course marshals that do nothing but ride around making notes on a clipboard and smoking cigarettes. It's really sad that some folks have zero respect for others time.

In 40 years of golf I have played only a few courses that actually do something about slow play. Most places have course marshals that do nothing but ride around making notes on a clipboard and smoking cigarettes. It's really sad that some folks have zero respect for others time.

God that brings back a nightmare memory. In my early days of playing, we decided to spring for a nice round for my buddies birthday at Renditions in Davidsonville, MD. The carts had timers on them that told you which hole you should be at based on your elapsed time.

We were new golfers and thus, pretty bad. The marshalls hounded us for most of the front nine like wolves nipping at a buffalo's heel. We rushed the best we could and finally caught up to the group in front of us so we could wait on the tee box for the rest of the round.

I was quaking in my boots on every shot with the Marshall perched on a berm behind us watching and judging. Damn if it wasn't effective though. I'm sure the groups behind us were thankful.

God that brings back a nightmare memory. In my early days of playing, we decided to spring for a nice round for my buddies birthday at Renditions in Davidsonville, MD. The carts had timers on them that told you which hole you should be at based on your elapsed time.

We were new golfers and thus, pretty bad. The marshalls hounded us for most of the front nine like wolves nipping at a buffalo's heel. We rushed the best we could and finally caught up to the group in front of us so we could wait on the tee box for the rest of the round.

I was quaking in my boots on every shot with the Marshall perched on a berm behind us watching and judging. Damn if it wasn't effective though. I'm sure the groups behind us were thankful.

Quite the ordeal for newbie golfers, nothing like intimidation for motivation. If it turns into a reoccurring nightmare let me know and I'll chip in for the therapy.

Quite the ordeal for newbie golfers, nothing like intimidation for motivation. If it turns into a reoccurring nightmare let me know and I'll chip in for the therapy.

I haven't been back since. I get a nervous twitch every time I drive by the sign.

The worst part is come courses don't do anything about it.

It's complicated. One of my favorite local muni situated in a heavy Ko...Asian population, they like to tee it up from the tip with their short drives and their push carts. Here's the thing, they are fanatics and play and practice religiously.

Another words they are the best kind of customers. They do comply when asked but ignore it the first chance they get. Unfortunately, they are older and like to okay early, or first on twilight list.

I've come to tolerate that because it's good for business, and that I stopped going to that course and a few others in a similar situation.

I'm sure every ethnicity share similar stories, since I'm Asian I'm a bit more sensitive to what my people are doing.

Look at it the other way you don't want the shorter fast players behind you too, it's annoying. I posted about it here before. Where I'd hit a drive and by the time I arrived to my ball they'd already hit their drives because it's outside their range. Not cool to have some one stalking you from 100 yards behind.

I don't ask. I just go. No one around here knows Jack about etiquette. Most of them are complete hacks, they are slow because they are searching in the woods for 5 minutes on each shot.

It's one of the things that drives me nuts. If you are playing slow because you are about to break the course record... I'll give you a pass. But if you're knee deep in mud, sand, pine straw, cat tails...

I hate to say it, but some people should just find another sport, hobby... call me a jerk. But if i was shooting in the 160's for 18 I'd probably take up disc golf, or walking...

I think everyone should be afforded the same chance at the game, but enough is enough. I'm not near "good" but I can get around the course in less than 2 hours if there isn't a group of kids out sipping on Grand dads cough medicine. Find another place to have a party.

Fire away. I'm ready.

I always say .... I don't care how bad you play but play fast.  Play bad fast, play good fast ... I don't care.  Just keep up the pace with the group in front of you.  Play ready golf.  Don't sit in the cart and wait for the green to clear before you start to analyze your shot.  Be ready & go.  If you're ready, hit it ... don't play this crap "Oh you're away, no I think you are"  Just hit the damn thing! 

Too many people think they are better than they are & watch too much TV.  It may be a 1/100 shot that you might hit that miracle shot on the 2nd shot on the par 5 but it's highly unlikely, so just lay up.  Why is it you have to break out the 3-wood on every par 5 when you have absolutely NO shot of getting there?  Why not lay back to a number more manageable?  Oh wait ... that's no fun playing smart.  

Back to ready golf.  If you're on the tee & ready, hit it.  I don't care if I made par & you made bogey on the last hole.  You might get to the tee box faster than I did or I had to stop and water the bushes.  Just hit it already.  The only time I won't take the tee box from anyone is if they make a birdie or better.  Other than that, I don't care if you take the box from me after I birdie ... go ahead, it's not the end of the world to me.  Some people just won't do it for some reason.  They may as well be playing in a shirt & tie with Bobby Jones because it's a gentlemen's game and we have to follow all the rules and etiquette.  

Don't spend 5 to 10 minutes looking for your ProV1 in the woods.  Drop another one where it went in.  Or play a provisional off the tee to begin with & definitely Don't go back to the tee for crying out loud!  I'll give you a ball if need be, damn.  As a matter of fact, you probably shouldn't be playing a ProV anyway.  Play a ball with less spin & you might not be in the woods as often.  

If you're putting for an 8 or worse ... pick up.  That's not going to make or break your day or your handicap.  

If there is no where to go .... i.e. loads of 4-somes in front of you .... there is no reason to push the group ahead of you by hitting into them.  Slow your pace down & enjoy the day.  I don't mean slow down to where you fall behind but be ready to hit when it's your turn.  And don't ask to play through either.  That's just uncalled for.  Now if the group ahead of you is behind by a few holes, then that is a whole different story.  By all means, ask ... if they don't allow you to ... go around them and come back to play the hole.

OK ... tirade over for now.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Our club has a flag system- marshals will move around the course and if you are falling behind they will let you know to pick it up.  If you don't, and you fall out of position (one hole open in front of you) they will place a yellow flag on the tee box, indicating you need to pick it up.  If that does not get your attention, the potential for a black flag is there- indicating that you must skip that hole, move forward to the next hole so you are back in position, record equitable stroke (what you most likely would have taken on that hole) and get back in position.  Further failure can result in you being asked off the course and the issue addressed with the Pro and the golf and greens committee.  Never seen a black flag, but have seen the yellow used on occasion. 

And, I am not shy- I will tell my foursome to pick it up, or if we are behind a really slow group (1 hole open in front of them) I will call the pro shop and let them know.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

But BMW makes you feel better, right? RIGHT???

RIGHT!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I always say .... I don't care how bad you play but play fast. Play bad fast, play good fast ... I don't care. Just keep up the pace with the group in front of you. Play ready golf. Don't sit in the cart and wait for the green to clear before you start to analyze your shot. Be ready & go. If you're ready, hit it ... don't play this crap "Oh you're away, no I think you are" Just hit the damn thing!

Too many people think they are better than they are & watch too much TV. It may be a 1/100 shot that you might hit that miracle shot on the 2nd shot on the par 5 but it's highly unlikely, so just lay up. Why is it you have to break out the 3-wood on every par 5 when you have absolutely NO shot of getting there? Why not lay back to a number more manageable? Oh wait ... that's no fun playing smart.

Back to ready golf. If you're on the tee & ready, hit it. I don't care if I made par & you made bogey on the last hole. You might get to the tee box faster than I did or I had to stop and water the bushes. Just hit it already. The only time I won't take the tee box from anyone is if they make a birdie or better. Other than that, I don't care if you take the box from me after I birdie ... go ahead, it's not the end of the world to me. Some people just won't do it for some reason. They may as well be playing in a shirt & tie with Bobby Jones because it's a gentlemen's game and we have to follow all the rules and etiquette.

Don't spend 5 to 10 minutes looking for your ProV1 in the woods. Drop another one where it went in. Or play a provisional off the tee to begin with & definitely Don't go back to the tee for crying out loud! I'll give you a ball if need be, damn. As a matter of fact, you probably shouldn't be playing a ProV anyway. Play a ball with less spin & you might not be in the woods as often.

If you're putting for an 8 or worse ... pick up. That's not going to make or break your day or your handicap.

If there is no where to go .... i.e. loads of 4-somes in front of you .... there is no reason to push the group ahead of you by hitting into them. Slow your pace down & enjoy the day. I don't mean slow down to where you fall behind but be ready to hit when it's your turn. And don't ask to play through either. That's just uncalled for. Now if the group ahead of you is behind by a few holes, then that is a whole different story. By all means, ask ... if they don't allow you to ... go around them and come back to play the hole.

OK ... tirade over for now.

Everyone can accept poor or bad play. No one likes slow play.

I played for years with a guy who was a 22-24 handicap I don't to this day know how he did it but he NEVER held up the group.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I played for years with a guy who was a 22-24 handicap I don't to this day know how he did it but he NEVER held up the group.

If you're ready to hit when it's your turn and don't spend ridiculous amounts of time looking for a ball in the sticks, you really should never hold a group up

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I first started golfing, my mom and I weren't very good (well over 100 even on a good day) and a long round for us with another two golfers would be 3hr30min

When I first started golfing, my mom and I weren't very good (well over 100 even on a good day) and a long round for us with another two golfers would be 3hr30min

My kinda people

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 4 months later...

Thinking about this, I've got a buddy I play with that hacks it around the course but, by golly, he hits right when he gets to his ball. Even if it took him 5 shots to get on the green, he finds a way to bury a 20 footer for 6.

When it's just the two of us, we fly through the course even if our scores are vastly different.

Not much to add as far as what I do when I'm being held up.

As for what I do when I'm the slow group, it depends upon the situation. If it's a group that should be playing faster, I'll say something to my compadres. Especially stressing the importance of ready golf.

When I'm volunteering at TFT and we're taking kids out on the course, I'm constantly working on teaching kids how to get around a golf course. They get sick of hearing me tell them that their bag should be even with their ball, not 10 steps behind the ball. So many of these kids don't have parents that play; they have no one teaching them how to get around a golf course.

When I'm playing with my little one, we'll let any and everyone play through us. We've let four groups play through us in nine holes before. Not that we're all that slow (we can usually play nine holes in 2 hours), but we'll play late in the afternoon with lots of singles and twosomes on the course, and I hate to hold people up.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived