Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Most Heroic Shot

STUDque

Let's see who the real heros are here in this forum. I don't wanna hear about a hole in one or some lucky shot that bounced off some trees and ended up next to the pin.

I want to hear about a situation where you were faced with an impossible shot with an enormous amount of risk, went for it, and pulled it off like the hero we all know you are.

Bonus points for shots pulled off in competition.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Oak Hills Country Club, San Antonio, TX. Standing on #18 tee after 17 holes of wolf with a single point on the card. I'm sitting wolf and call a 4 hole bet (1 hole bet x 4) + plus double blind wolf. The last hole is a par 3 playing 192; well protected with deep bunkers and a severely sloped green. I step up and cold smoke snap hook my 6 iron legitimately 70 yards left of the hole. Feeling light as a feather and free as a bird, my 3 playing partners all quietly end up inside 25 feet.

The hole is cut in front and extreme left, about 4 steps from the edge. I have a clear shot from a bare hardpan lie but the green slopes away severely and there is nowhere to land it. Envision trying to roll a putt down the hood of a Corvette and have it stop on the bumper. The situational and financial odds were stacked against me from every direction.

I don't think I've ever in my life taken more practice swings hunting for a distinct contact off that hardpan. But I found one that felt just right, stepped in, pulled the string and hit a perfect hard steep spinner. It looked like the first bounce hit in the right spot just short in the rough on the downslope but that's the last I could see of it from my perspective. I put my odds of keeping it anywhere on the green from that position at 200:1; it was plain impossible. But apparently it did hit in the perfect spot with a ton of spin because the second bounce screeched to a halt on the edge of the fringe. Then with seeming disregard for the principle of momentum, toppled off the fringe and started rolling slowly down the 10.3 stimped green toward the hole.

My buddy that worked there as an Asst. Superintendent is one helluva golfer and knows every subtle break in those greens like the back of his hand. He was standing in a spot that put the hole between him and my now slowly creeping ball. When it was halfway there I hear him say, with deadpan midwestern diction "Oh my god, he made it". The ball was still a few seconds from rolling dead in the middle and I had already covered ~20 yards of the march back to the green.

When it finally went in, the oldest guy playing with us threw up his hands, looking skyward to literally curse the heavens and promptly fell backwards into a 4 foot deep riveted style bunker. My other buddy, one of the most well spoken gents of whom I've had the pleasure counting as friends, glitched on Holy $h1+! Which he repeated roughly 20 times with varied volume, cadence and intent. The one who prophesied the moment broke out in hysterical laughter. When everything calmed down several minutes later they each gave their birdie attempts legitimate chances. The last a short uphill chip played by the Super grazed the high side and sat on the edge.

I went from zero to hero (on the scorecard anyway) with one singularly intended action / reaction command to the Universe. You know, the big one? It's going to sound crazy or braggadocio to many of you, but I knew without a doubt that ball was going to end up in the bottom of the cup. I searched with intent for the singular in that moment and grabbed it.

We always settle up over beers across the street at the Highlander Bar & Grill. Each of them took their turn giving me the recap of what happened from their unique perspectives around the hole. Every account was humorous, laced with emphatic expletives and consistently lacked explanation for what they'd witnessed. But when it was the old man's turn to regale us, his story ended with "And then out of nowhere, God pushed me ass over tea kettle into the front bunker...out of nowhere man..._you_ came out of nowhere". We all hooted until our stomachs cramped and so the nickname "Out of Nowhere" was bestowed upon me; soon thereafter reduced to "Nowhere".

You all of course are free to believe what you will, but I decided to make that shot. And I can't believe I'm doing this but I'll share a secret. I was playing Michael Jackson's 'Beat it' in my head before making a single practice swing until the moment hearing "Oh my god, he made it". I have no idea from whence that musical inspiration originated and sadly have never experienced it since. The entire situation defies logic and probability. But that's why we all play this silly game...isn't it?

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

That. Was. Awesome. I feel like I was there. I almost started cheering for you myself!

Dang DLK... you should write a book.

Mine was a simple hole out from the rough for eagle to put my team in a playoff. Which we lost.

More details!

More details!

More? Ok..

It was a scramble to benefit a young man that was a well known police officer in my home town who passed away abruptly. I was never seen so many people there at that course. It was a pretty somber day, only cheered up by great shots (both kinds), sharing stories, and we all decided to play no matter the weather.

We got sent out on the back 9, I think we started on 10, it started to rain right when our last guy teed off. It continued to rain till the front 9, I think we were -2 on the back.

Went to the front and we started making putts, and the birds fell. The closing hole was a super short par 5, everyone else hit their drive OB, I launched one out there about 290... then I hit a 6 iron just off the side of the green about 15-20' left of pin. Pulled my 60° rehearsed the shot 10-11 times as it was deep in the rough, hit my shot and I read the break perfectly and drained it. That was my second solo eagle on the day.

We lost in a sudden death on the first Par 3. They hit it close and our best shot was in the sand.

Edit: we finished -13

- Alan

Decided long ago that I'm no hero. I leave that to other guys.

It's more fun to watch.  :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It's not really heroic, but I had never shot under par for 9 holes before last year, and I holed out on nine to shoot a 35.

Also, when I was about 12, I was known for having a really sharp short game. I could usually pull off flop shots fairly easily. I don't have that confidence any more...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

DLK set the bar awfully high. However, I would be remiss if I started a topic like this and didn't have a story of my own. In my case, I define a heroic shot as performing a feat of physical strength greater than was previously thought possible. So here it goes, I call this story

"The 6"

The History: It's the league playoffs. Better yet, it's the league championship. After winning the anchor match of the semifinal in the pitch dark the week before, here I am leading off the championship for my team. There will be 6 golfers for each team but that first match sets the tone. I'm giving my opponent 2 strokes each side so I've got to be sharp. As we battled through the front nine, I find myself up 2 holes and a handful of strokes as we reach the tee at hole 9. It's a 425y Par 4.

The Conditions: One of the unique things about our course is it's situated on a peninsula. As in, the golf course takes up the entire peninsula. As a result, the wind can be blowing from any direction on any given day and switch without warning. On this particular day, it was blowing directly in the face of holes 7, 8, and 9 coming back to the clubhouse. These holes run parallel to a runway which has an airspeed windsock that was 2/3 straight which, as my pilot friend instructed me, dictates we're looking at about 15 mph. 8 and 9 are the 1 and 3 handicap holes on the course so I had to give my opponent a stroke on each. We pushed 8 with a par/bogey finish and moved on to 9 as he's finally figuring out his swing.

The Tee Shot: I'm a long hitter. The reason I've struggled to get my handicap low is I hit it big off the tee but also have a tendency to miss big as well. With the length of the hole and the wind in my face, I'm forced to hit driver. I choke up and prepare my mental thoughts to deliver an easy fading ball down the middle of the fairway. I deliver the swing I visualized which starts the ball on the line I selected and continued with the shape I envisioned. Unfortunately, the wind had its own intentions. As the ball nears its apex of a power fade, it begins to turn further right. One nice thing about this 9th hole is there is typically room to the right so I'm not initially worried. As this easy right turns into a hard right turn, I notice the wind has totally shifted mid flight and my ball is headed deep into the lateral hazard fescue.

The Lie: There's no finding the ball. I've got to drop. My opponent is in position A1 in the middle of the fairway, I'm giving a stroke, and am also now dropping. Based on where the ball crossed the plane, I'm a long ways from the green even though it traveled an additional 50+ yards. Arm out, close eyes, drop ball, and hope for the best. This is late season rough so it's thick but not US Open thick. Keeping in line with Murphy's law, my drop finds the deepest place to settle down into the rough.

The Line: A row of 4 pines lines the fairway between the fescue I hit my ball into and the fairway. As such, the trees present a barrier between me and the green. They stand in my way like a group of angry bouncers trying to keep me out of their nightclub for wearing Timberland boots. The bouncer in the center, lets call him Vince, is the tallest and strongest. Vince stands directly between me and the green. Up ahead, a front pin is guarded by a pair of bunkers at the mouth of the green like a pair of boxing gloves ready to punch me in the face for leaving a short-sided bunker shot. I take my GPS reading and find that I'm looking at 197 yards to the pin.

The Options: When faced with adversity, one must always consider all their options with a clear head

• Chip out left to the fairway
  • Wedge over the trees: A standard safe option would advance the ball but still leave me with 100+ yards to the green
  • Punch it low and shoot the trunk gaps: This option would require a Tiger Woods stinger between a gap in Austin Powers' teeth and STILL would likely not reach the green.
  • Go hard or go home!
The Risk: The league season is almost entirely composed of 9 hole matches. For playoffs, we play 18. As anyone who has ever played can attest, momentum is a powerful thing and any lead can be in jeopardy at any point. I knew this better than most because I came back from a 6 stroke/3 hole deficit (had to give 7 strokes a side) in the semi finals the week before by catching a hot streak on the back 9. On this day in this moment, the last thing I could allow was hope. Hope is a dangerous thing. 3 of the 4 options I faced brought the possibility of a 6, 7, or more into play which would absolutely rev his engines for the comeback train.

The Choice: 195 yards is typically a standard 5 iron for me. If I hit it pure, it'll fly high, bounce a few times and stop at 195. If I hit it low or with off-center contact, it'll roll to reach 195. Into this wind, I'll need a well-struck 4 iron to reach. As I'm staring down Vince, I know there's no way my 4 iron will clear his pointed head so I pull a 5 from my bag. I take a few practice swings and address my ball. Just before I hit, I look up, envision the shot, and realize this ball flight is about to strike Vince directly in his chest. Well S*. I reconsider my options. By now, my opponent has already hit his second. He missed the green but has a nice angle from the left side. Might I remind you that not only did I already take a drop, I also owe him a stroke (thank you handicaps). I still have to go for the green to give myself a chance to stop momentum so I pull a club that should definitely clear the trees: The 6. Go hard or go home!

The Shot: 6 Iron in hand, I line up my shot and prepare to go toe to toe with Vince. Ball sitting down nicely but needing to hit it high, I play the ball slightly forward in my stance with above-average forward press. I'll never forget this swing thought I had right before the moment: "just clear the pine and see how far it goes." I draw my club back and give my Callaway Hex Chrome a mighty WHACK. The sheer force of the swing carried my momentum forward and I almost fall directly on my face. As the ball leaves my club, I hear it screaming like a fidget spinner accelerated by an air compressor. One problem, it's headed directly at Vince's neck. Just as the ball nears the tree, it rises up like a balloon and nicks Vince's ear as it passes by leaving a scar that he could compare with Mike Tyson. It continues to rise and fades ever-so-slightly at the pin. Because I not only took 1 less club than was required AND I had a 15 mph wind in the face, I had little internal hope of reaching the green. I watched through Vince's legs just to get an idea of my next chip.

The Result: As I'm watching for an appearance of the ball, it's taking longer than normal. By the time it comes into view, I see it bounce once on the fairway in front of the green, once on the front of the green, then stop on the 3rd bounce 8 feet from the pin. Across the fairway I hear my teammate yell at the top of his lungs HOLY S#%T!!!! As I'm writing this story now, I kid you not it gives me goosebumps.

Conclusion: Unfortunately, my opponent buried a 25 foot putt for par which gave him the hole as a result of the handicap. As far as I'm concerned, he can have it because I just pulled off a moment of absolute excellence that I will not soon forget. And that whole momentum thing? Yeah, I'll be keeping that in my bag as the 15th club for the rest of my afternoon. My teammate and I both won our matches and set the rest of the team up for an easy coast to a League Championship victory the following day. Through all of the athletic success I've enjoyed in my lifetime, this was the first time I've ever been able to end my season as the Champion and BOY does it feel amazing.

IMG_4169.PNG

Pictured Above: The Hole (green marker-the tee, yellow star-the pin, red heart-the drop)

I made a hole-in-one once..... :P

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Coming up on 17 in our weekly money game, we were down two with two to play. About $60 on the line, so a decent chunk of change by my standards.

Seventeen is a short par 3, playing about 155 yards that day. Wind slightly in the face. A member of of the opposing team steps up, hits it to about 15 feet. His partner hit next, safely to the middle of the green, about 30 feet left. My partner gets up and goes long into the bunker behind the green. I step up, hit it to four inches. We end up winning the hole.

Get up to 18, everyone hits decent drives, and all of our approach shots find the green, all roughly 20-25 feet. I followed my birdie up with a 25 footer for birdie to win the hole and send it in to extra holes.

We lost...

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

I once barely cleared the water on a par 3. It rolled back just sitting inches from the edge. I had to go about 10 feet up a 45° hill and maybe another 20 feet to the hole. So, I took my 60° wedge, faced the water with the pin at my back and chopped down on the ball like I was swinging an ax. I made it within 5 feet, right of the hole.

The risk being when I swung down, I had to keep my weight from moving forward or I was going in the water.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I once barely cleared the water on a par 3. It rolled back just sitting inches from the edge. I had to go about 10 feet up a 45° hill and maybe another 20 feet to the hole. So, I took my 60° wedge, faced the water with the pin at my back and chopped down on the ball like I was swinging an ax. I made it within 5 feet, right of the hole.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice! Did you get muddy?

My home course.... drive ended up 20 yards behind a stand of pine trees. There was no way to get to the green except to go over them. I should have just taken the smart way out and just put it back in play. Instead, I opted to open up my 50* and take a big swing. the ball went over the trees and landed 2' from the pin.... easy birdie!

Had I taken the smart route, I would have made par or bogie at worst. Hero shot? Not sure about that. More like a few beers and bullet proof shot that just happened to work out... that time. B)

I play(ed) so much golf in a week, good shots are bound to happen. I, personally don't like heroic shots, and make a point to just hit shots in my 80% wheelhouse.

One shot stands out to me. This is at my home course. My drive took a weird bounce and rest under a big tree, wide tree branches prevent me from hitting my normal shot but I have a good lie in short grass. There's a pond in front of the tree and bunker to the front left. I'm left with about 137 yard to the back pin.

Normally I would have chip up 40-50 yard and go from there but it happened to be the shot I have in the bag. Low rising draw with 8i that put a lot of spin to hold the green, so without wanting to change my mind or have second thought I just grab the 8i and swing. It went perfectly as plan landed a few inches from the pin check and rolled out about 4'. I drain that sucker.

My friends who was playing with me withness it from the side and said that it was a great shot as the ball stay low and started rising as it going over the water and bit the greed hard. That's one of the most satisfying shot I hit in a while.

Hole #13 - Sandpiper in Santa Barbara. Last weekend. Golf Channel AM Tour major. I scored a 9 on Saturday. Don't ask - I layed up ... into the ravine & it got worse. Sunday I hit another good blind drive - 200 yards out. Perfect lie. Slight breeze in my face. Add 10 yards. Green perched on a hill above me - have to hit over a ravine which there is no recovery. Ocean on the right. Add another 10 yards.

GCAT official asks me if I am going for it. My playing partners layed up. They are smart. I answer my *usual* ... I did not come here to lay up. So the following group hits up while I wait for the green to clear.

Now I have one official & 5 golfers watching. I pull out the 3 wood ... take my practice swings ... one last look at the flag ... & swing at 90% but with a full turn back & hard smooth thru the ball. I stayed down & impact felt perfect. Looking up the ball was on a frozen rope straight at the flag. Not as high as usual so I was sweating it. It hit pin high but rolled up the back 2 feet into the rough. Everyone was cheering. Ball ended up just off the fringe in the deep stuff. I chipped to a downhill green ... maybe 12-13 stimp. Scary chip that ended up on the edge of the green 20' away. 3 jacked it for the best par I have ever made !

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hole #13 - Sandpiper in Santa Barbara. Last weekend. Golf Channel AM Tour major. I scored a 9 on Saturday. Don't ask - I layed up ... into the ravine & it got worse. Sunday I hit another good blind drive - 200 yards out. Perfect lie. Slight breeze in my face. Add 10 yards. Green perched on a hill above me - have to hit over a ravine which there is no recovery. Ocean on the right. Add another 10 yards.

GCAT official asks me if I am going for it. My playing partners layed up. They are smart. I answer my *usual* ... I did not come here to lay up. So the following group hits up while I wait for the green to clear.

Now I have one official & 5 golfers watching. I pull out the 3 wood ... take my practice swings ... one last look at the flag ... & swing at 90% but with a full turn back & hard smooth thru the ball. I stayed down & impact felt perfect. Looking up the ball was on a frozen rope straight at the flag. Not as high as usual so I was sweating it. It hit pin high but rolled up the back 2 feet into the rough. Everyone was cheering. Ball ended up just off the fringe in the deep stuff. I chipped to a downhill green ... maybe 12-13 stimp. Scary chip that ended up on the edge of the green 20' away. 3 jacked it for the best par I have ever made !

How was that experience? I saw the ads but never was able to pull the trigger on that AM tour.

Sounds like your username really describes you well!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Although may not seem to heroic, but playing with a friend who I'd never beat before, (admittedly, he's a much better golfer than me) I had to sink a putt on 9 from about 8 feet to finally beat him. Made it and put the scorecard up in my cube so he could see it every day

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I was stumped at first when I read this question.  To me, heroic means more than just a good shot, its a good shot in a "pressure" situation.  I finally remembered one from last Spring.  I was playing in an interclub match at a neighboring club in April.  It was chilly and pretty windy, early in the season.  I'd hit a really solid drive on the 9th, a 405-yard par 4 playing dead into the wind.  When I got to my ball, I had just over 200 yards to the pin, meaning my really solid drive had gone just about 200 yards, probably 40 yards less than "normal."  Well, I knew 3-wood had no chance into the wind, so I pulled out the driver again, and hit a low bullet that ended up about 12 feet from the hole.  My partner and our opponents were all pretty impressed, driver off the deck to 12 feet.  I guess there's a reason I hit a couple of these off the driving range mat almost every day I practice or warm up.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Weekly  League stroke play- 

Fairly forgiving  course, I play the front in +6, thinking today is not my day.. make the turn Par 4 335 hard dogleg left with trees creating a separation between 9 and 10.. Smart play to play 200 over the edge of the trees to middle of fairway leaving 140 ish in.. WTH i already am in the crapper.. aim a little farther left blast away.. right over the trees.. good shot I hope it carried the rough.. we walk up the fairway.. my ball is nowhere to be seen.. one of the other guys plays and starts toward the green, Just as I'm about to drop for a lost ball,  he finds it 60 yds out in a little low spot.. 

hit it to about 10 feet, lip out birdie putt. tap in par.. 

11 par 5, on in 2 and a 2 putt Birdie.. good start to the back 9.. round continues, 

bogie, par, birdie, bogey, par, par, 

18 uphill par 4 Smoke a drive to the top of the hill, as we walk up the fairway, my partner gives me the if you birdie you'll shoot 79 (82 was my lowest round ever). WTF.. A$$hole.. 2nd shot Fly's the green lands about 10 feet past the green in the rough, Pin in the front.. Now I'm hoping to save par but realistically looking for a bogey to shoot 81.. calm down you can do this.. hit a fat chip.. but good thing it was fat, cause it settles 6 inches from the cup, up hill 6 incher to shoot 80... 

hit a good putt catches right edge rings the cup and sits on the edge, for about 2 seconds then drops.. 

Lowest round ever, 80.. Still the lowest score and one of the best 9's I've ever played... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Well this may be more clutch than heroic.   

Playing in a Ryder Cup style match about 2 months ago.  I was giving 7 strokes to my opponent over the final 9 holes.  I actually played pretty well that 9 for me (43) but he kept making natural bogey's which netted to par on most holes.  I went up 1 a time and got down 1 at a time, but we came to the 9th hole of our match (the final hole) all square.   We were the only match left on the course the other 22 players were huddled either behind the green or walking behind us, so there was no doubt this match was for the Cup.    How ironic was that the entire cup coming down to a 17 cap against a 33..LOL    The single digit guys had to be shaking there head over this.

Neither of us stroked this hole.  He got his usual bogey and didn't stroke.   I came up short on my 2nd shot, and with a front pin on a severely sloped back to front green.   I didn't want to chip long and have a tough down hill putt for par, so I completely fluffed the chip and now had a 15 footer uphill for par.   He tapped in for his bogey.   This putt was for the win.   The adrenaline got to me and I ran it a good 4 feet past the pin.  Don't ask me how, on an uphill putt...ha

So now I've got a slick, slightly left to right downhill er to half the hole.    I slowed myself down took a couple deep breaths and rolled it in center cup.   We were both congratulated by our teammates and each other.    

The Cup was now tied and it went to a 3 hole playoff between the two captains, in which our team prevailed.   In a very gracious move by the captain he gave me special call out props for getting the match to extra holes.   I of course told him, I could have made the par putt to win, but wanted him to have the glory in the playoff...LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Oak Hills Country Club, San Antonio, TX. Standing on #18 tee after 17 holes of wolf with a single point on the card. I'm sitting wolf and call a 4 hole bet (1 hole bet x 4) + plus double blind wolf. The last hole is a par 3 playing 192; well protected with deep bunkers and a severely sloped green. I step up and cold smoke snap hook my 6 iron legitimately 70 yards left of the hole. Feeling light as a feather and free as a bird, my 3 playing partners all quietly end up inside 25 feet.

The hole is cut in front and extreme left, about 4 steps from the edge. I have a clear shot from a bare hardpan lie but the green slopes away severely and there is nowhere to land it. Envision trying to roll a putt down the hood of a Corvette and have it stop on the bumper. The situational and financial odds were stacked against me from every direction.

I don't think I've ever in my life taken more practice swings hunting for a distinct contact off that hardpan. But I found one that felt just right, stepped in, pulled the string and hit a perfect hard steep spinner. It looked like the first bounce hit in the right spot just short in the rough on the downslope but that's the last I could see of it from my perspective. I put my odds of keeping it anywhere on the green from that position at 200:1; it was plain impossible. But apparently it did hit in the perfect spot with a ton of spin because the second bounce screeched to a halt on the edge of the fringe. Then with seeming disregard for the principle of momentum, toppled off the fringe and started rolling slowly down the 10.3 stimped green toward the hole.

My buddy that worked there as an Asst. Superintendent is one helluva golfer and knows every subtle break in those greens like the back of his hand. He was standing in a spot that put the hole between him and my now slowly creeping ball. When it was halfway there I hear him say, with deadpan midwestern diction "Oh my god, he made it". The ball was still a few seconds from rolling dead in the middle and I had already covered ~20 yards of the march back to the green.

When it finally went in, the oldest guy playing with us threw up his hands, looking skyward to literally curse the heavens and promptly fell backwards into a 4 foot deep riveted style bunker. My other buddy, one of the most well spoken gents of whom I've had the pleasure counting as friends, glitched on Holy $h1+! Which he repeated roughly 20 times with varied volume, cadence and intent. The one who prophesied the moment broke out in hysterical laughter. When everything calmed down several minutes later they each gave their birdie attempts legitimate chances. The last a short uphill chip played by the Super grazed the high side and sat on the edge.

I went from zero to hero (on the scorecard anyway) with one singularly intended action / reaction command to the Universe. You know, the big one? It's going to sound crazy or braggadocio to many of you, but I knew without a doubt that ball was going to end up in the bottom of the cup. I searched with intent for the singular in that moment and grabbed it.

We always settle up over beers across the street at the Highlander Bar & Grill. Each of them took their turn giving me the recap of what happened from their unique perspectives around the hole. Every account was humorous, laced with emphatic expletives and consistently lacked explanation for what they'd witnessed. But when it was the old man's turn to regale us, his story ended with "And then out of nowhere, God pushed me ass over tea kettle into the front bunker...out of nowhere man..._you_ came out of nowhere". We all hooted until our stomachs cramped and so the nickname "Out of Nowhere" was bestowed upon me; soon thereafter reduced to "Nowhere".

You all of course are free to believe what you will, but I decided to make that shot. And I can't believe I'm doing this but I'll share a secret. I was playing Michael Jackson's 'Beat it' in my head before making a single practice swing until the moment hearing "Oh my god, he made it". I have no idea from whence that musical inspiration originated and sadly have never experienced it since. The entire situation defies logic and probability. But that's why we all play this silly game...isn't it?

Wow awesome story

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

What an awesome story Downlow!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 7/1/2017 at 4:03 AM, downlowkey said:

Happy Thursday all. Thought this would be a fine bump as we get into the winter for all those who may have missed the thread. Yes, there's a thread for the best shot of the day (past this one was first) but this thread is for the best shot of your life.

@downlowkey provided a perfect example in the quoted post above. Any of our newbies ever "land the ball on the hood of a Corvette and made it stop on the bumper"?

Most heroic shot of 2018 had to be this recovery after spraying my tee ball way right at Windmill Ridge Golf Course in Monett, MO. The screen grab I took from Google doesn't do it justice, but at least you can get some idea of what it looked like. The fairway I was hitting from basically splits somewhat dramatically in elevation from right to left exactly where my ball came to rest. Playing from the upslope with a really awkward stance and going uphill with a treeline blocking any possible view of the hole I was trying to get back to, I had to pick a tree top that I thought was in line with the green and hope for the best. I got the ball up, but didn't catch it quite as clean as I wanted and it started right of my intended line. I honestly thought I was going to get stuck in the trees. Untill... my playing partners all started yelling and told me I had trickled onto the green right next to the hole! I couldn't believe it. I was literally no more than 2' from the cup after hitting 4-iron from arguably the worst spot of the previous fairway.

wmridge.jpg

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Archived