Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My putter fitting at Club Champion Boston

Upon further inspection of the newport 3, Nevermind what I said and just get an odyssey 9 protype, tour series black designs, or metal x milled ;) lol. I just assumed it was some new conflagration of an anser or newport with a certain shaft bend. Didn't realize they just took the del Mar and called it a newport now

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

After reading some more of this thread it sounds like the guy did make some useful adjustments to your putter. I guess the bottom line question is did you leave there knowing more about what you need in a putter than when you went in, and did he make some adjustments to your current putter that will help it perform better for you?

If the answer to both is yes, then maybe it was worth $100?

It sounds like you had to drag some of that info out of the guy, which is a pain, but do you ultimately feel as though you got the info that you needed?

I got the info I needed so I don't mind spending money for it .... however ... my point is -- relatively speaking/in comparison to other fittings that are 100.00 I think it was overpriced.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

He didn't have any other recommendations other than Scotty's??

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sent him an email and asked him about the Del Mar or Golo 3 but he hasn't responded.  I also asked if he had any other Scotty's he'd recommend but haven't heard back.

I really hate when fitters fit you into brand new clubs....  I think that is one reason why I hesitate to go to fittings... If they said something like, well, Scotty Cameron has a new line of putters called Newport Select and the number 3 would be best or you can go with something a couple years older that is "x or y or z", then I'd be much happier.

Many many many many tests have been done that show clubs from 5 years ago compared to clubs today don't offer much more advantage - if any at all.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Sent him an email and asked him about the Del Mar or Golo 3 but he hasn't responded. I also asked if he had any other Scotty's he'd recommend but haven't heard back.

I really hate when fitters fit you into brand new clubs.... I think that is one reason why I hesitate to go to fittings... If they said something like, well, Scotty Cameron has a new line of putters called Newport Select and the number 3 would be best or you can go with something a couple years older that is "x or y or z", then I'd be much happier.

Many many many many tests have been done that show clubs from 5 years ago compared to clubs today don't offer much more advantage - if any at all.

You could find the Ping, Cleveland, brand x, equivalent. And save yourself a few hundred.

- Alan

Trust me ... I wasn't questioning him or his expertise. I fully trusted he knew what he was doing...

Let me try to rephrase:

I hit my 7 putts with my putter before any adjustments.

We then looked at the monitor and reviewed the SAM lab results.

He mentioned a couple of things such as it looks like the face is staying closed throughout the entire swing, the ball is going directly into the ground instead of into the air when I hit it, etc.

He then made a couple of adjustments on the Mitchell machine.

He handed me the putter back and asked me to hit a few (without the SAM lab).

I hit a few and noticed something different - the ball wasn't coming up as short.

I then asked - what did you change? What was the correction on the machine?

He said - "do you usually leave your putts short?" .... "yeah, typically that is what happens"... "oh, well, I adjusted the loft up so that you can still use your normal stance and stroke but it gets the ball rolling quicker.".... "nice! I like that..."

I wasn't continually asking him 'why did you do this?' ... 'why did you do that?'... in an aggressive or interrogating fashion...

I did want to know what adjustments he was making; that's what I was paying for.

If I walked out of there without asking what changes were made/suggested or getting the SAM lab results and without ordering a putter I would have just spent $100 and not known what happened and it would have been a complete waste of time.

Ok, cool, I misread or misinterpreted the original post about the questions. It sounded to me that you were questioning what he was trying to accomplish. So, I'm sorry for that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Ok, cool, I misread or misinterpreted the original post about the questions. It sounded to me that you were questioning what he was trying to accomplish. So, I'm sorry for that.

Based on the more detailed explanation of the conversations,  it seems like there was some interaction but it was more forced.   

I guess I am spoiled by my instructor. We use the SAM to understand my putting stroke and not to identify the putter.  When I learned about the stroke and what I was doing,  we worked to find a putter that complimented what was doing during the stroke.   In the end I want more than a fitting,  I want to know what I am doing and how that impact the fitting.  Not everyone is like that and they just want to be handed the end result.  People are different and in my opinion  a fitter needs to cater to those differences.  

All in all I think this is a good thread to show that people have different ways to approach the same thing and what one person things is great another believes is lacking.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sent him an email and asked him about the Del Mar or Golo 3 but he hasn't responded.  I also asked if he had any other Scotty's he'd recommend but haven't heard back.

I really hate when fitters fit you into brand new clubs....  I think that is one reason why I hesitate to go to fittings... If they said something like, well, Scotty Cameron has a new line of putters called Newport Select and the number 3 would be best or you can go with something a couple years older that is "x or y or z", then I'd be much happier.

Do you know what the final loft of the putter was?   If so,  look at the specs for the newport 3 and find similar putters; there is no magic in the cameron or even the odyssey.  When trying putters,  find the one that lets you start the ball on intended line.  You can do a drill that my instructor had me do.  Put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and using various length strokes see if you can roll the ball over the dime.  There are some characteristics you can change,  but if you miss left,  add some weight and if you miss right lower the weight.  This will change how fast the putter rotates and help you get the ball started online. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Based on the more detailed explanation of the conversations, it seems like there was some interaction but it was more forced.

I guess I am spoiled by my instructor. We use the SAM to understand my putting stroke and not to identify the putter. When I learned about the stroke and what I was doing, we worked to find a putter that complimented what was doing during the stroke. In the end I want more than a fitting, I want to know what I am doing and how that impact the fitting. Not everyone is like that and they just want to be handed the end result. People are different and in my opinion a fitter needs to cater to those differences.

All in all I think this is a good thread to show that people have different ways to approach the same thing and what one person things is great another believes is lacking.

One of the reasons I struggle with fitting is that I know what I want and I know what I want the ball to do. I feel like I wouldn't have a good interaction with a fitter. If I were to go get fit for a putter or any club, I would need some duct tape on my mouth so I wouldn't try to interrupt what the fitter was trying to do. thats one reason I haven't really been fit for anything. On a side note, I also do my own club work especially grips, I've let others do it before and they were off a little, so I took them home a fixed them to what I want to see. As a lefty I don't know many righties that can put my grips on correctly.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 1 year later...

Just reading this thread more than a year later from its original post, and I’m curious: how has the OP’s scoring improved with this Cameron he had fit to his specs?  A fitting is something I’m considering, because I feel like I have a good stroke but am missing putts due to alignment and speed inconsistency.  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Jerf said:

Just reading this thread more than a year later from its original post, and I’m curious: how has the OP’s scoring improved with this Cameron he had fit to his specs?  A fitting is something I’m considering, because I feel like I have a good stroke but am missing putts due to alignment and speed inconsistency.  Thank you!

I couldn't afford the Cameron so I didn't buy it at the time.  I'm hoping to pick one up later this year as the prices have gone down a bit.  

Sorry I couldn't help.  I do think a putter fitting is worthwhile.  Not sure if you align naturally or 'align to your putter' but a fitting might help get you aligned properly and with the proper loft/lie of the putter speed consistency may increase due to the fact your getting the ball rolling on your intended line immediately each time.

Or - you might need a lesson.  :)

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Archived