Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Drastic- shelving the 5 iron for a 23° hybrid

Sluggo42

My 5-iron seems to be the goblin in my bag. Based on my incredible success in shelving my 3 and 4 irons in exchange for my now beloved 19° callaway 815 hybrid. So I've ordered a 23° same model.

Perhaps a sign of my advancing age, but it just seems a lot easier to hit these hybrids.

I feel like I'm cheating tho...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I just went the opposite way, put the 3 iron back in the back pulling out a 4 hybrid....

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I don't know how old you are MD but generally speaking Sluggo's move would be best for many golfers.

Many LPGA players have 6 as their longest iron. I think it's a great move although generally 26 degrees is the 5 iron equivalent. So you may have to consider strengthening your 6 iron s couple of degrees and your 7 a degree to cover the gap.

Good luck and just remember it's not cheating, you still have to hit good shots and it's harder to flight the hybrid down. It's always a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My 5-iron seems to be the goblin in my bag. Based on my incredible success in shelving my 3 and 4 irons in exchange for my now beloved 19° callaway 815 hybrid. So I've ordered a 23° same model.

Perhaps a sign of my advancing age, but it just seems a lot easier to hit these hybrids.

I say whatever works.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't know how old you are MD but generally speaking Sluggo's move would be best for many golfers.

Many LPGA players have 6 as their longest iron. I think it's a great move although generally 26 degrees is the 5 iron equivalent. So you may have to consider strengthening your 6 iron s couple of degrees and your 7 a degree to cover the gap.

Good luck and just remember it's not cheating, you still have to hit good shots and it's harder to flight the hybrid down. It's always a trade off.

^^^this.

Plus hitting partial shots on a hybrid is far more effective than longer irons especially with the 815 or the apex hybrid. Both offers straight stock shots with less draw bias. Higher loft also lets you be more imaginative with shot choices and still hold the greens.

I did the same last year. It has helped my game tremendously. The only down side is my small carry bag looks cramped with all these head covers now. Lol

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I did the same last year. It has helped my game tremendously. The only down side is my small carry bag looks cramped with all these head covers now. Lol

Im tinkering with this too.

A $40 Adams 18* HB has opened my eyes lately.

Their just so easy to swing.

I agree 110% with PJ on that I have always said play what works for you. I guess I am the odd man out again. I do carry one hybrid at 22* but I still carry and hit a 3 &4 iron. I can hit a bunch of different shots with that hybrid but sometimes I need to hit a stinger and that is why I have the 3 and 4 irons. I also get a lot of roll out f the 3 iron in the fairway. In certain situations I will pull the 4 iron and put the 18* 5 wood in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I did this about 2 years ago and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I clanked a drive a few days ago, leaving me with a 190 severe uphill, guarded by frontal death traps shot. I pulled out my 20° 815 hybrid and nailed it pin high 2' off the green right side, for an easy up and down. It was just another great shot from the magical hybrid. That club has made the 200 yard shot much easier, so why not make the 180 shot easier too? The callaways are adjustable 2 up or one down, so I can adjust to a good mix with the bag.

But I've decided that I'm much more consistent with hybrids, than I am with the long irons, so why keep having my mini panic attacks every time I reach for that cursed 5?

I'm going on 62 now as well, and I just don't seem to be able to compress that club every time anymore, unless I'm really warmed up and feeling good.

ah, no doubt about going to a hybrid VS long iron. I had this past year 2 hybrids that replaced the 3 and 4 irons, but they just weren't a fit for me as I hooked more shots OB or topped shots with them. Went back to the longer irons just because they didn't cost me as many strokes. I'm still in search for a hybrid that will fit my swing....

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I did the same thing about a year and a half ago....dropped my 5 iron for callaway XR hybrid and I've never been happier!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

ah, no doubt about going to a hybrid VS long iron. I had this past year 2 hybrids that replaced the 3 and 4 irons, but they just weren't a fit for me as I hooked more shots OB or topped shots with them. Went back to the longer irons just because they didn't cost me as many strokes. I'm still in search for a hybrid that will fit my swing....

MDGolfHacker

I had Ping i20 hybrids I couldn't hit worth a darn. Then I got the callaway 816 DBD, liked it so much I got the 3- wood. Liked that so much I got the hybrid. Love it.

Now the next one, another 815 hybrid.

I don't know it it would work for you, but to me, it's a dream...

MDGolfHacker

I had the same problem with hooking a hybrid off the planet. I have been experimenting with them for a few years but never put one in play because I did not have any confidence at all in them. I found the old Rescue on the pile at work. It was in good shape so I grabbed it. Threw it in the practice bag one day. Started hitting it on a whim on the range. Now I could hook it but I toned it down some with about 4 grams of lead tape in the toe. It ended up being the one. I have been messing with it quite a bit and have learned I can hit a variety of shots with it. Believe it or not it has sorta became a go to club for me. It sorta reminds me of a wooden 6 wood I carried back in the day and it is around the same loft @ 22*.  But I still carry the long irons because it tends to get windy down here and that hybrid will balloon on me in a minute. But then again that effect will come in handy at times. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Dana Quigley won the Chas. Schawb cup on the champions tour with his first iron being the 7 iron. .  3-6 were hybrids.  I'm 69 yrs old and have the same configuration and still beat the young guys every once in a while.  Actually had my USGA index down to 4.6 last summer.  So it's a matter of how you get it done....NOT WHAT YOU USE!!

Play well and enjoy the hybrids with their high flights and soft landings!!

Jim, the retired GC Superintendent

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

MDGolfHacker

Hooking is one thing.

But topping the shot isn't the hybrids fault 😋

You know I kid, because can. Ha. I know your game well enough to know that you will absolutely kill it when you get the right hybrid. And we both know which one that is. (He's had a 816 19 degree on order for over a month)

But I also know you love hitting long irons. Which you generally do very well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Revkev your right but no for me. I went back to the 5 & 4 irons. Cannot hit a hybrid no how no way. I have a 4 hybrid in the bag but I think it's there only to fill the empty hole in the bag. Also driver and no fareway woods, they r in the garage in time out.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Revkev your right but no for me. I went back to the 5 & 4 irons. Cannot hit a hybrid no how no way. I have a 4 hybrid in the bag but I think it's there only to fill the empty hole in the bag. Also driver and no fareway woods, they r in the garage in time out.

Love it you put your club on time out. Lol.

Hybrids do seem the way to go. In getting a full bag fitting this fall. I know the Pro who I will be going to and he'll straighten but old a$$ out.

Looking at Mizuno, Titleist, Wilson and maybe TM.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I seriously recommend testing the callaway 815's- easy easy to hit. And they go where you aim them.

I've been wrestling with my 5 iron for a couple of years. I've tried a couple of 5 hybrids I got cheaply, an Adams Tight Lies 2, and a Cobra Bio Cell. Both have regular shafts, while my 4 hybrid is an old TM with a stiff Grafalloy Epic. I hit a few good one switch the Cobra on the range, but struggle to control it on course.

I recently had the head on my 5 iron replaced by TM (face slot issues) and I think it's now standard lie angle rather than the 2 up it replaced. I seem to be hitting it better.

I keep looking for a 2nd hand 5 hybrid with a stiff shaft, but they are hard to find.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Every hybrid feels different to me.  If one doesn't work for you, try another model.  I think there is one out there for everyone; even pros play one or two.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Every hybrid feels different to me. If one doesn't work for you, try another model. I think there is one out there for everyone; even pros play one or two.

I find this to be true as well. Everyone seems different and certainly plays different. Also all of our swings are different so even though it's generally better for us to hit hybrids or more lofted fairway woods than any iron longer than 5 or 6 there are going to be exceptions!

I o think being able to bag a fairway wood and at least one hybrid creates the greatest amount of flexibility. I find that a hybrid can be very handy around the green. It's far easier to hit bump and runs with a hybrid than a 4 iron IMO.

I have SLDR S (not c) in 26 and 22 degrees so roughly a 5 and a 4. I tried lots of hybrids and these flighted the ball best for me. I know that I spent under 60 for each of them on eBay. Prior to these I had a Callaway 23. I hit it well but had trouble ballooning it at times. However I was extremely handy around the green with it. I miss that function.

If your 4 and 5 iron are behaving - great - but if not the hybrid search can be fun and fruitful. Just remember to hit them like a 6 iron and not like a fairway wood (which my teacher has me hitting like a 6 iron too).

Great thread Sluggo

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think everyone should try replacing there 4 iron with a hybrid. 3 and 4 irons are difficult to hit consistently for most amatuers.

If you make the switch and like the results look at your 5 iron and if you are having issues with it swap it out. Priority for the top of you bag is being consistent. You can always grip down a little to shave off some distance. And this is what hybrids are able to offer.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I tried throwing a couple hybrids in for a bit but just felt too limited. Compared to my long irons, I just didn't have the control I wanted and my ball flight was always high and soft. My carry was similar but the ball would just come down with a thud. I want some roll out with those long guys!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I find this to be true as well. Everyone seems different and certainly plays different. Also all of our swings are different so even though it's generally better for us to hit hybrids or more lofted fairway woods than any iron longer than 5 or 6 there are going to be exceptions!

I o think being able to bag a fairway wood and at least one hybrid creates the greatest amount of flexibility. I find that a hybrid can be very handy around the green. It's far easier to hit bump and runs with a hybrid than a 4 iron IMO.

I have SLDR S (not c) in 26 and 22 degrees so roughly a 5 and a 4. I tried lots of hybrids and these flighted the ball best for me. I know that I spent under 60 for each of them on eBay. Prior to these I had a Callaway 23. I hit it well but had trouble ballooning it at times. However I was extremely handy around the green with it. I miss that function.

If your 4 and 5 iron are behaving - great - but if not the hybrid search can be fun and fruitful. Just remember to hit them like a 6 iron and not like a fairway wood (which my teacher has me hitting like a 6 iron too).

Great thread Sluggo

I'm giving my 4 hybrid a chance again. U guys and this thread have given me hope!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played my new (used) 24° (23+1) Callaway hybrid today. Playing from the tips allowed me a few more opportunities to hit it today.

All I can say is sweet.

Buhbye 5 iron...

Sheesh. Thought I had my bag set for awhile .. but now you've got me re-thinking my own 5i.....

Don't really like high lofted hybrids but do have a Ping G Crossover 5/24° from last year sitting in the garage that I may bring back out into the sunshine.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived