TESTERS WANTED! ×

Drastic- shelving the 5 iron for a 23° hybrid

Sluggo42

Sheesh. Thought I had my bag set for awhile .. but now you've got me re-thinking my own 5i.....

Don't really like high lofted hybrids but do have a Ping G Crossover 5/24° from last year sitting in the garage that I may bring back out into the sunshine.

NUmber one hardest hole, hit a solid drive, and was 184 out. Pulled out the 23°(set to 25°), and put it 8' wide, pin high, with a nice calm smooth swing.

That would have been a 5- iron chunk any other day...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Nobody looks in your bag until you start beating their ass. Then they only look to count 14. I couldn't tell you what the men in my groups carry. I just don't care,

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

True, I have no clue how many clubs these guys have or what they are. I have enough problems hitting what's in my own bag.

BTW I have a total of 12 clubs right now in the bag. I had to go check and count them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

True, I have no clue how many clubs these guys have or what they are. I have enough problems hitting what's in my own bag.

BTW I have a total of 12 clubs right now in the bag. I had to go check and count them.

Less is more.i'm carrying 12 as well I only carry 14 clubs on the day that I play battle golf with friends an usually at least 2 drivers.

I find that most time when people wants to know what you hit say, on a par 3 is because they are longer hitter and want to show off their length. Some guys has the needs to brag about how they hit a wedge on the par 3 when you are hitting a 6i, regardless of where their balls end up on the green or even on the green.

NUmber one hardest hole, hit a solid drive, and was 184 out. Pulled out the 23°(set to 25°), and put it 8' wide, pin high, with a nice calm smooth swing.

That would have been a 5- iron chunk any other day...

Niiiice shot!

Weird thing with me was, prior to early this season I was hitting my 5i better than the 6i... Spent time working with the 6 and now seems we're getting friendly ;) So the 5i doesn't like me now...

So, yeah, time to re-evaluate that slot!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Niiiice shot!

Weird thing with me was, prior to early this season I was hitting my 5i better than the 6i... Spent time working with the 6 and now seems we're getting friendly ;) So the 5i doesn't like me now...

So, yeah, time to re-evaluate that slot!

One of my playing buds just got new everything, driver thru GW. He has always been 10-15 yards behind me. With the new setup he's blowing 10 yards by me.

Time to rethink my bag.

Rick

Left Hand, 

One of my playing buds just got new everything, driver thru GW. He has always been 10-15 yards behind me. With the new setup he's blowing 10 yards by me.

Time to rethink my bag.

Oh oh - Rick just joined the "Club Ho's"!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh oh - Rick just joined the "Club Ho's"!!!

Your right! Went to the practice range hit a bucket, chipped for a bit then went into Club Shop and looked around a bit. Lots of really nice options out there!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Dana Quigly won the Chas. Schub cup on the champions tour with his first iron being the 7 iron. .  3-6 were hybrids.  I'm 69 yrs old and have the same configuration and still beat the young guys every once in a while.  Actually had my USGA index down to 4.6 last summer.  So it's a matter of how you get it done....NOT WHAT YOU USE!!

Play well and enjoy the hybrids with their high flights and soft landings!!

Jim, the retired GC Superintendent

I have always been a proponent of how one gets it done not what equipment you use regardless of brand name model or age. I have a member at my club retired in his mid 70s that carries only 10 clubs 6 of them hybrids. As usual SOP for him he shoots his age or under 90% of the time from the senior tees at 6100 yards @ sea level. He is really impressive to me because he really utitilizes those hybrids in different ways and he does not practice any at all but he does play every day weather permitting. The other 4 clubs that are not hybrids are Driver , Trusty Rusty 52* and 56 * wedges and putter

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been a proponent of how one gets it done not what equipment you use regardless of brand name model or age. I have a member at my club retired in his mid 70s that carries only 10 clubs 6 of them hybrids. As usual SOP for him he shoots his age or under 90% of the time from the senior tees at 6100 yards @ sea level. He is really impressive to me because he really utitilizes those hybrids in different ways and he does not practice any at all but he does play every day weather permitting. The other 4 clubs that are not hybrids are Driver , Trusty Rusty 52* and 56 * wedges and putter

My kind of guy!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived