Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Anybody built their own outdoor putting green

Looking to do something with a side yard that's looking a little rough and looking for some ideas.

- does it make sense to tackle on your own

- costs

- mistakes to avoid

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sounds like a great idea!  I'd love to do it, but the biggest mistake I could make is to tackle it on my own.   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've thought about it, but that's as far as it's gotten

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I thought about a few years ago. I even looked into buying a green mower, but they are not cheap! Even a used one was expensive. Would love to hear someone who has done it talk about the amount of effort and expense involved.

Years ago when me and my ex-wife had our house built, I had them take some dirt from the empty lot across the street to make a mound in our back yard.  I shaped it out and planted the grass.  The only mower I had was a mcclain front throw.  It eventually became just a chipping green.  :D

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Artificial or Natural?

Unless you are rich, do not, I repeat DO NOT build a natural putting green. In order to do it right, by that I mean conditioned like a nice golf course, it will cost tens of thousands of dollars to build and cost thousands more to maintain (not counting the couple thousand for a used mower and hundreds to maintain that). If you have that kind of money, the USGA has plenty of articles on how to do it and will even send out a field agent for a couple grand to walk you through it. Before anyone calls BS, I have built over 100.

If you want an artificial green, that should cost around $10 per square foot.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry late to the party. Are you thinking of building a natural grass green or a synthetic? Natural grass are beautiful, but are a full time job to maintain. I've always wanted my own synthetic green for chipping and putting practice, but they are pricey. Would love to have this one in my backyard, perhaps after I win the Powerball!!!

https://www.golfgearbox.com/collections/designer-series-putting-greens/products/18-x-23-diy-putting-green-without-foam

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the redirect to mine.

Unfortunately my plans got put on the back burner cause my wife wanted me to build a patio in the back yard first.. Also she wasn't a fan of me clearing out one of the trees to do so..

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Thanks for the redirect to mine.

Unfortunately my plans got put on the back burner cause my wife wanted me to build a patio in the back yard first.. Also she wasn't a fan of me clearing out one of the trees to do so..

I am a fan of you building an outdoor putting green. Your wife will get over it. We can also use it as a playspace for the girls. Win win!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Archived