Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Stiff Shafts on Wedges?

STUDque

I'm wondering why I never see anything but wedge flex for wedge shafts. Surely your impact can be affected by swing speed with wedges too, right?

I have a hard time imagining that tour players don't have stiff/extra stiff wedge shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Here's the standard reasoning behind it (and no, most guys on tour don't have X-Stiff wedges):

1. Wedges are shortest and heaviest clubs

2. Too stiff of a shaft will limit RPMs

3. Too stiff of a shaft will minimize feel

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

This is a topic I could never have commented on prior to joining MGS. 7000 posts later I think that I might have something to say.

Generally speaking wedges are all about control and feedback. Control of ball flight and spin may be obtained through the shaft and that's why most wedges have a wedge flex staff that's generally a bit stiffer than the rest of a players irons.

I treat my PW and GW as regular irons with similar shafts to the rest of my set. The other three wedges have heavier shafts that are stiffer and designed to produce more spin. In fact my 60 and putter are the only two clubs in my bag with steel shafts.

I'm sure you will get better explanations from some of our equipment experts but there's a start for you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is a topic I could never have commented on prior to joining MGS. 7000 posts later I think that I might have something to say.

Generally speaking wedges are all about control and feedback. Control of ball flight and spin may be obtained through the shaft and that's why most wedges have a wedge flex staff that's generally a bit stiffer than the rest of a players irons.

I treat my PW and GW as regular irons with similar shafts to the rest of my set. The other three wedges have heavier shafts that are stiffer and designed to produce more spin. In fact my 60 and putter are the only two clubs in my bag with steel shafts.

I'm sure you will get better explanations from some of our equipment experts but there's a start for you.

So is wedge flex actually stiffer than a stiff steel shaft? (I play KBS tour, stiff shafts in my irons) Or just stiffer than a regular steel shaft?

Wedge Flex is typically between S200-S400 in terms of TT shafts.  I think it depends on the wedge manufacturer for which shaft they pair with their wedge.  

I think I remember seeing Bob Vokey say that you should go a half or one step softer in your shafts.  So if a tour pro has x100 in their irons, they would go to s400 for their wedges. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

A lot of it depends on one's club head speed through the ball. A lot has to do with feel. There are a lot of different ways to do it. A lot of guys like say a S-300 tipped like a 8 iron which is very soft that is also known as "Tiger Stepping" because Tiger made that famous. I messed around with soft tipped wedge shafts for me for a while and that did not work good for me. I am a feel player and I learned the game with heavy stiff shafted wedges. It is what ever works for an individual.

LOl I was on our range at first light this Am experimenting with wedges. I have actually been messing around some with (GASP!) some conforming wedges because I may play a event or 2 in the fall. I had done a trade deal on a conforming CG-15 but it had too much bounce for me so I took the grinder to it. Now it was a little light for me as all newer wedges are so I had it lead taped anyhow. Ended up adding more. One of the guys at the club remarked that I had enough lead tape in that thing to sink The USS North Carolina. I did put a S-400 in it that I had tuned for me in an older 588. Works good for me just have to remember I have to get more aggressive with it because the new conforming grooves really bite

My other "legal" wedge is an DSG Top Flite and yes it is on the conforming list I checked myself. I bought it out of a barrel for $5 at a charity event because I liked the way it sat. The shaft says Top Flite and I have no idea what it is. I did have to weight it up to the weight of an older 252 Vokey. Never checked the shaft on the machine but with the weight combo it hits great for me.

IMHO you have to tune a wedge with the shaft flex tip kick and weight that works for you. Also bounce is very important along with the sharpness of the leading edge. If I ever get back in the golf business for a living I am going to specialize in setting up wedges because I love working with them

Hoped I helped some and did not add to the confusion

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Great question! Thank EGarcia for bringing it up and thanks to everyone else for answering the question! I had never thought about it before but this makes a lot of sense!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

A lot of it depends on one's club head speed through the ball. A lot has to do with feel. There are a lot of different ways to do it. A lot of guys like say a S-300 tipped like a 8 iron which is very soft that is also known as "Tiger Stepping" because Tiger made that famous. I messed around with soft tipped wedge shafts for me for a while and that did not work good for me. I am a feel player and I learned the game with heavy stiff shafted wedges. It is what ever works for an individual.

LOl I was on our range at first light this Am experimenting with wedges. I have actually been messing around some with (GASP!) some conforming wedges because I may play a event or 2 in the fall. I had done a trade deal on a conforming CG-15 but it had too much bounce for me so I took the grinder to it. Now it was a little light for me as all newer wedges are so I had it lead taped anyhow. Ended up adding more. One of the guys at the club remarked that I had enough lead tape in that thing to sink The USS North Carolina. I did put a S-400 in it that I had tuned for me in an older 588. Works good for me just have to remember I have to get more aggressive with it because the new conforming grooves really bite

My other "legal" wedge is an DSG Top Flite and yes it is on the conforming list I checked myself. I bought it out of a barrel for $5 at a charity event because I liked the way it sat. The shaft says Top Flite and I have no idea what it is. I did have to weight it up to the weight of an older 252 Vokey. Never checked the shaft on the machine but with the weight combo it hits great for me.

IMHO you have to tune a wedge with the shaft flex tip kick and weight that works for you. Also bounce is very important along with the sharpness of the leading edge. If I ever get back in the golf business for a living I am going to specialize in setting up wedges because I love working with them

Hoped I helped some and did not add to the confusion

I think you did a little of both

I play KBS Hi Rev 2.0 in X stiff in my 50, 55 and 60 wedges as i still like to be able to put a full swing on it and control it. I feel like the hi rev gives me a little extra spin on them and slightly softens the feel, but not it a bad way. All of the other irons are X-stiff and soft stepped 1x so it's a good feel throughout the set. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I have the same shaft in my wedges as I do my irons just one flex stiffer. I like the feel and performance I get from them. I've seen different setups though from one person to the next.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I have the same shaft in my wedges as I do my irons just one flex stiffer. I like the feel and performance I get from them. I've seen different setups though from one person to the next.

I was surprised by the Toski quote - I think this is the norm - a step stiffer - next would be the same flex as your current iron.

Ultimately though your looking for a shaft that facilitates the shots that you prefer and need from 100 yards in. Wedges are about trajectory control and spin.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Play an X in my irons and S in the wedges. My 52 has a Tour Issue TTDG S200 and the 58 and 64 have KBS Tour 125 S in them.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I use x100s in my wedges. My main clubs have kbs tour X but I'm too cheap to change wedge shafts. I like heavier shafts. Regular wedge shafts get too unpredictable for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In terms of true temper, their wedge flex is S200. Which are not stiff enough for menu players, but wedges is about feel. I know a lot of high swing speed guys that all use x100's in their wedges, for the weight and stiffness, I used to have the S200, but it was really weak, so I switched to the S400 tour issueTrue temper, and relay like them.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have the same shaft in every iron in my bag. My irons are all MOI matched.

Aerotech i-80 R flex.

Best combination I've ever played.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think you did a little of both

Sorry one of my shortcomings> I have trouble expressing things in writing I do better in person with a hands on experience. Some of the folks have known me long enough that they can interpert it some and put it in better words

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I play KBS Hi Rev 2.0 in X stiff in my 50, 55 and 60 wedges as i still like to be able to put a full swing on it and control it. I feel like the hi rev gives me a little extra spin on them and slightly softens the feel, but not it a bad way. All of the other irons are X-stiff and soft stepped 1x so it's a good feel throughout the set. 

I can see that 100% in your case because you still have the club head speed to do that. But in a nutshell it gives you the feel you want and that is where it is at in the short game department especially. Man I do not think honestly I could get that KBS 2.0 in X through the ball anymore with any of your wedges

G

The main thing is that it works for you and that is what counts. I only carry 3 wedges that is if you want to count my PW as wedge. All 3 of my shafts are different flexes and brands for that matter. I do not recommend that for everyone though. 

G

Hmmm...dont really understand the responses...im sure its just me. I often hit "full" wedges from 125 in. If i change shafts, it would seem that now my swing has to change to get expected results.

I do have x-stiff in my 50 and its totally unreliable from full swing distance.

I always purchase the same flex for wedges...maybe thats why i consider myself a crappy chipper

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just had this question this past month when I was looking at replacing my wedges. I took my current set wedges in that have KBS Tour shafts in them like the rest of my irons. Now granted I was hitting the SM6's vs my SM5's. However the only real big difference was that the SM6's I was hitting had wedge flex shafts. My backspin rpm dropped in half on the wedge flex wedges. From 8400 to 3600!! I was shocked! So I bought the SM6's but ordered the softer KBS tour shaft that are known to have softer tip. Crazy how much a difference that was.

A middle aged guy working hard to lower his handicap and have as much fun doing it. I'm typically a Titleist guy but last year put Srixon irons in the bag and have loved them. I've been lucky enough to play 3 times in the UK as well, just getting back from England and Ireland in July so I can help with questions on that front as well. 

I just had this question this past month when I was looking at replacing my wedges. I took my current set wedges in that have KBS Tour shafts in them like the rest of my irons. Now granted I was hitting the SM6's vs my SM5's. However the only real big difference was that the SM6's I was hitting had wedge flex shafts. My backspin rpm dropped in half on the wedge flex wedges. From 8400 to 3600!! I was shocked! So I bought the SM6's but ordered the softer KBS tour shaft that are known to have softer tip. Crazy how much a difference that was.

What sort of cost did you end up with? One thing that frustrates me about this process is you have to buy the wedge with a stock (wedge flex) shaft which I'm sure it's included in the cost then pay for all new shafts and the work it takes to install them.

To me it seems like you come out paying double for shafts.

Archived