TESTERS WANTED! ×

First Time Breaking a Milestone

STUDque

I'm sure there's some great stories out there of the first time members broke 100, 90, 80, par and I'd love to hear them.

In many cases, these are some of the fondest memories a golfer can have.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

For me, it was the first time breaking 90. My buddies and I always walked twilight rounds because it was much cheaper. It got so dark we could barely see the ball and the back 9 at our course is mostly woods. My buddy lost his ball on 16 due to darkness and packed it in. Since I was making a serious run at breaking 90 (first in my group to do it), I figured I'd keep shooting until I lost my ball.

The hardest part was the tee shots. Even though they wound up in the fairway, my buddy and I still had a hard time finding them using our phone flashlights. I played the '09 burner at the time and the only thing you could see was the spark when I hit the ball. No flight and definitely no landing. For all shots, my buddy held the flashlight over the ball so I could at least line up.

I played super conservative to keep my ball in the fairway and wound up parring 16, 17, and 18 to end with a cool 87.

First time I broke 90, I actually did it twice in one day. 36 hole course about an hour south of me had a deal on. They host a lot of provincial tournaments.

Play both courses, cart, hat, and $20 voucher for the restaurant afterwards for less the $200. One is a "links style" course (middle of the prairies), and the other is a challenging, absolutely beautiful course. Shot 86 on the links, 84 on the old course. First time breaking 90 and got to do it with my dad! I got a new phone so don't have any pictures, but if I can find them on my computer I'll post some!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This below story pertains to breaking 100 at the club I joined, which is a pretty tough track.  I have broken 100 previously at a very easy municipal course, but it just doesn't feel notable.

First time I broke 100 at my club was a round I was super frustrated at the beginning.  It felt like nothing was breaking my way and I was well on my way to shooting above 60 on the front.  I was playing with my buddies who are much better golfers and they were playing really well, so that was only adding to the frustration.

I ended up shooting a 55 on the front 9, so I realized that although I wasn't playing well, I wasn't playing that much worse than typical.  Although the back 9 is the tougher nine, I calmed down and slowed everything down on the back 9, shooting a 45 out of no where.  That was my first round under 100 and my first 9 under 49 at the club. 

Hopefully breaking 90 out of nowhere is next up!

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

The first time that I broke 100 was on s course at a resort in Spain. I was 13 and played with a friend of my parents. It was pretty cool.

The first time that I broke 90 was my junior year of high school. I played very little golf because at the time people thought that golf and baseball shouldn't mix. I shot 87 in the only round that I played that summer and although I would go to the range I didn't play another round until I quit playing baseball in my junior year of college. I broke 80 and had my first sub par nine that summer. I broke par and 70 for the first time the next summer.

I would love to shoot my age at some point but that is still several years off. It's in God's hands.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This below story pertains to breaking 100 at the club I joined, which is a pretty tough track. I have broken 100 previously at a very easy municipal course, but it just doesn't feel notable.

First time I broke 100 at my club was a round I was super frustrated at the beginning. It felt like nothing was breaking my way and I was well on my way to shooting above 60 on the front. I was playing with my buddies who are much better golfers and they were playing really well, so that was only adding to the frustration.

I ended up shooting a 55 on the front 9, so I realized that although I wasn't playing well, I wasn't playing that much worse than typical. Although the back 9 is the tougher nine, I calmed down and slowed everything down on the back 9, shooting a 45 out of no where. That was my first round under 100 and my first 9 under 49 at the club.

Hopefully breaking 90 out of nowhere is next up!

I'm with you. It doesn't feel like it counts until you do it on your home course with your bros. One of my regular playing buddies "broke 90" on a different course with a different group than our normal threesome and we call bullseye every time he talks about it.

Broke 90 for the 1st time yesterday. Front 9 shot a 49, typical short game problems. Then at the turn got some "aiming fluid" and just decided to not worry about my score. shot a 39 by far my best 9 ever. Crazy how much better I play when I relax and don't worry about the score.

Broke 90 for the 1st time yesterday. Front 9 shot a 49, typical short game problems. Then at the turn got some "aiming fluid" and just decided to not worry about my score. shot a 39 by far my best 9 ever. Crazy how much better I play when I relax and don't worry about the score.

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

The first time I broke 100... I think I was 11. I was playing with my dad. When we finished, I think he added up my score to 100 exactly, and I was super disappointed. I double checked several times and it came out to 93! That was the last time I let him keep track of my score...

First time I broke 90 I did so by nailing a 30 footer on 18. I was just trying to get it close and it ended up breaking right into the side door. It was pretty epic - didn't even know it was for an 89.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The first time I broke 80 it was a total shocker...my previous best ever was 83. It was about 4 years ago, I was practing a lot at that point and my short game was really really good.

I played with a couple of buddies that day and we were cutting up and having a great time...didn't even add up scores at the turn. I knew I was having a pretty good day and had made 2 birdies and no doubles, I got to the par 3 16th and I hit a great 6 iron to about 8 feet and made the putt for my 3rd birdie ( which was a record for me), we got to the 17th tee and I hit a nice drive and one of my buddies suddenly said "Holy sh!t! If par out you'll shoot 79!" Needless to say I immediately hit a crappy second shot and made bogey...oh well I thought I'll still set a new personal best...hit a decent tee shot on 18, second shot went wide right and left me a tough pitch over a bunker.....hit a high flop that bounced once and went in for my first ever 79!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

My milestone as a high handicap was not the scoring but the course management. I used to work at a golf resort in SoCal, featuring 2 championships golf course. There's a par 3 that plays 220 from the white, 241 blue and 300 from the black. The course usually has 2 sets of white tees. It plays a bit longer then the marker huge 4 clubs green.

I has never been able to hit the green and usually walked away with a doubles. One day a pro asked if I want to join him, I said heck yeah. He helped pointing out where to hit the ball and how to attack the hole. So when we get to this par 3, I pulled out a 3 wood, he said don't, hit a 6i and pitch it up you'll make par half the time from there. I did and I made my first par on that hole. It stays with me til this day and from then on I pick my target from tee to green and may game improved dramatically.

When I first started playing golf 25 years ago at age 45, I played in our 9-hole company league.  Didn't break 60 all year until a near-season-ending 3-club tournament when I shot 47 with 5i, 9i, and putter.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I honestly don't remember my first time breaking 100. I do remember my first hole out shot like it was yesterday (It was in 2006) was about 100 yards out, hit a pitching wedge to the green, we looked for 5 min to find the dang ball, finally looked in the hole, there it was. Couldn't believe I did that. Still have that ball!

On Sunday, I had the chance to finally break 90. I was on the green in 3, all I had to do was 2 putt from about 10 feet away, slight downhill but if I missed the hole by more than 6 inches, it went hard downhill.  Instead of lagging up and taking my 89, I went for it and missed and down the hill. 3 putt... 90. I have never felt so bad about what was such a good round. I wanted to just fall down on the green. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I honestly don't remember my first time breaking 100. I do remember my first hole out shot like it was yesterday (It was in 2006) was about 100 yards out, hit a pitching wedge to the green, we looked for 5 min to find the dang ball, finally looked in the hole, there it was. Couldn't believe I did that. Still have that ball!

On Sunday, I had the chance to finally break 90. I was on the green in 3, all I had to do was 2 putt from about 10 feet away, slight downhill but if I missed the hole by more than 6 inches, it went hard downhill. Instead of lagging up and taking my 89, I went for it and missed and down the hill. 3 putt... 90. I have never felt so bad about what was such a good round. I wanted to just fall down on the green.

Keep the faith brother. I shot 90 3 times before I finally broke it.

I posted two days ago about breaking 100 for the first time at my club, which happened about a month or so ago.  Well I am happy to be writing again about breaking another milestone.

I mentioned in my previous post that 98 was my lowest round ever at my club, but I had posted slightly lower scores at easy Muni courses, but I don't think I have ever broken 95.  Well yesterday, on the 4th of July, I had the round of my life.  

I was playing in my normal weekend group, which is typically 20-30 people playing in groups with a 2 or 3 best ball format, and there was a flag tournament at the club as well.  I started off with a par on the first hole, which is usually a tough hole for me, so I was riding high.  However, I immediately pulled the next tee shot left in the water on the par 3.  Hit another ball from the tee and hit it right this time, landed about 20 yards short of the green and chipped up, then hit a 15ft putt to "salvage" double bogey.  I tried to quickly forget about that hole and play my round.  From there I hit the ball pretty well and knew I was playing better than average, but tried not to pay attention to the total score.  

I finished the front 9 without any more big numbers and was ecstatic when I figured out I had shot a 42, but I knew the tougher back 9 awaited, so I tried not to let the moment get away from me.  The back 9 was a little more of a roller coaster ride, had a couple more doubles on the back, but I was able to chip in on a par 5 for birdie.  This was the first chip in I have ever had, so that felt pretty good as well.

Unfortunately, I was starting to get a little nervous over some putts on 15, 16, 17 and 3 putted 2 out of the 3 holes thanks to pushing the ball.  Luckily there is a solution when you start getting shaky on your putts, and that is to not putt! So I went on to 18 and after a great tee shot and poor second shot, I decided I needed to just skip putting on this hole and I should hole out for birdie on a 40 yard pitch shot.  After it was all said and done I shot a 84.  A full 14 strokes better then my previous best.

Still not sure if I am conscious or not.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Congratulations! Nine strokes better than your previous best!

I posted two days ago about breaking 100 for the first time at my club, which happened about a month or so ago.  Well I am happy to be writing again about breaking another milestone.

I mentioned in my previous post that 98 was my lowest round ever at my club, but I had posted slightly lower scores at easy Muni courses, but I don't think I have ever broken 95.  Well yesterday, on the 4th of July, I had the round of my life.  

I was playing in my normal weekend group, which is typically 20-30 people playing in groups with a 2 or 3 best ball format, and there was a flag tournament at the club as well.  I started off with a par on the first hole, which is usually a tough hole for me, so I was riding high.  However, I immediately pulled the next tee shot left in the water on the par 3.  Hit another ball from the tee and hit it right this time, landed about 20 yards short of the green and chipped up, then hit a 15ft putt to "salvage" double bogey.  I tried to quickly forget about that hole and play my round.  From there I hit the ball pretty well and knew I was playing better than average, but tried not to pay attention to the total score.

I finished the front 9 without any more big numbers and was ecstatic when I figured out I had shot a 42, but I knew the tougher back 9 awaited, so I tried not to let the moment get away from me.  The back 9 was a little more of a roller coaster ride, had a couple more doubles on the back, but I was able to chip in on a par 5 for birdie.  This was the first chip in I have ever had, so that felt pretty good as well.

Unfortunately, I was starting to get a little nervous over some putts on 15, 16, 17 and 3 putted 2 out of the 3 holes thanks to pushing the ball.  Luckily there is a solution when you start getting shaky on your putts, and that is to not putt! So I went on to 18 and after a great tee shot and poor second shot, I decided I needed to just skip putting on this hole and I should hole out for birdie on a 40 yard pitch shot.  After it was all said and done I shot a 84.  A full 14 strokes better then my previous best.

Great job!!  When you shoot a really low score, your usual low rounds don't seem so daunting anymore so they come a little easier.

I highlighted one of the keys above.  It seems that my lowest scores come when I am enjoying the round and not paying attention to my score.  Good job on the front, but I would suggest that you don't check your 9-hole score.  You know you shot pretty well, but you don't need to know the exact score.  Wait until after #18.  "There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealings done."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

.......Luckily there is a solution when you start getting shaky on your putts, and that is to not putt!.....

That's great advice! I'm gonna take that to the course next time

I'm super happy for your success.

Sorry, but cannot .. yet .. participate here....

Hopefully sometime this Summer or Fall

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Sorry, but cannot .. yet .. participate here....

Hopefully sometime this Summer or Fall

What's the next milestone on your list?

What's the next milestone on your list?

100 .. consistently!

Still throwing away way too many shots, mostly off the tee. But.....

Almost....... did it this past Wednesday when we were at West Point (now open to the public). Friend had played there before in an outing and came back with tales of many lost balls and many tough uneven and sidehill lies. It was on the way home from visiting friends in PA, so .. why not give it a try?

So with eager anticipation (and some mild trepidation) we set out. In a cart, as it was (quote) "strongly recommended". Good thing, too, given the hills and also maybe like a half mile trip at one point to get to a 6 hole loop separated from the rest and across a 4 lane highway (via an overpass bridge)!

They'd also warned us the greens were "way too fast, cut very close twice a day and rolled".

Anyway, I'd figured I was way way over 100 by the time we were done. But my wife noticed the scorecard today when I was cleaning out my bag and said I should check (she always thinks I make Par on every hole).

I ended up at....

.. *IF* we cheerfully ignore 6 Mulligans off the tee, 3 per side. (Can we, huh?, can we pleez?)

Course is Par 70 (HA!!) and I played the forward tees with my wife which are rated at 64.1/126 (HA! again).

Had 1 penalty - again, IF we allow 6 Mulligans off the tee - which was a lost ball on a second shot (pulled it left into the woods); and had 6 x 3-putts with a total of 41 putts. Had a bunch that just missed the hole and just kept going and going and....

So .. hopefully, yes! - if I could break 100 there I "should" (quote-unquote) be able to do it almost anywhere....

Well, we'll see!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

100 .. consistently!

Still throwing away way too many shots, mostly off the tee. But.....

Almost....... did it this past Wednesday when we were at West Point (now open to the public). Friend had played there before in an outing and came back with tales of many lost balls and many tough uneven and sidehill lies. It was on the way home from visiting friends in PA, so .. why not give it a try?

So with eager anticipation (and some mild trepidation) we set out. In a cart, as it was (quote) "strongly recommended". Good thing, too, given the hills and also maybe like a half mile trip at one point to get to a 6 hole loop separated from the rest and across a 4 lane highway (via an overpass bridge)!

They'd also warned us the greens were "way too fast, cut very close twice a day and rolled".

Anyway, I'd figured I was way way over 100 by the time we were done. But my wife noticed the scorecard today when I was cleaning out my bag and said I should check (she always thinks I make Par on every hole).

I ended up at....

.. *IF* we cheerfully ignore 6 Mulligans off the tee, 3 per side. (Can we, huh?, can we pleez?)

Course is Par 70 (HA!!) and I played the forward tees with my wife which are rated at 64.1/126 (HA! again).

Had 1 penalty - again, IF we allow 6 Mulligans off the tee - which was a lost ball on a second shot (pulled it left into the woods); and had 6 x 3-putts with a total of 41 putts. Had a bunch that just missed the hole and just kept going and going and....

So .. hopefully, yes! - if I could break 100 there I "should" (quote-unquote) be able to do it almost anywhere....

Well, we'll see!

I say mulligans are a good thing for people starting out. When you can get it to one Mulligan per side you're close. Gotta break 100 with mulligans before you can break it without.

I say mulligans are a good thing for people starting out. When you can get it to one Mulligan per side you're close. Gotta break 100 with mulligans before you can break it without.

I agree. Why not? As long as you don't hold up anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Best round I have ever shotattachicon.gifIMG_0714.PNG

It's cool that you were using Game Golf when you shot it! Now you will always remember it!

• 1 month later...

My milestone as a high handicap was not the scoring but the course management. I used to work at a golf resort in SoCal, featuring 2 championships golf course. There's a par 3 that plays 220 from the white, 241 blue and 300 from the black. The course usually has 2 sets of white tees. It plays a bit longer then the marker huge 4 clubs green.

I has never been able to hit the green and usually walked away with a doubles. One day a pro asked if I want to join him, I said heck yeah. He helped pointing out where to hit the ball and how to attack the hole. So when we get to this par 3, I pulled out a 3 wood, he said don't, hit a 6i and pitch it up you'll make par half the time from there. I did and I made my first par on that hole. It stays with me til this day and from then on I pick my target from tee to green and may game improved dramatically.

Got my wife to do this on a short Par 3 - she grabbed her driver, as she usually does for all tee shots (not a big hitter but it usually goes straight), until I interrupted her and pointed out the bunker completely fronting the entire green .. with an extra mound behind it. Suggested she take whatever she's comfortable hitting 100 and then pitch up. Well... she does just that and sticks it close and makes the putt and Pars the hole!!!

(While yours truly here truly eff'ed up his tee shot .. it went way right and behind a stand of trees with no shot under the branches to get over the mounds around the green .. and walks away with a DOUBLE........)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Although I have done it a number of times over the past few years, breaking 80 (shooting in the 70's) is an elusive number for me.  I focus on trying to shoot 26 every 6 holes (ends up at 78) but invariably chunk, pull or otherwise screw a shot and end up in the low to mid 80's.  I think this is more the 5 1/2 inches between my ears than the 6200 yards I walk, but there you go!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls